SI Prizm MFrame - Oakley
Oakley Standard Issue has developed an array of contrast enhanced Prizm lenses...

Wounded Officer Faced Hail of Bullets at Sikh Temple

August 06, 2012  |

Oak Creek (Wis.) P.D.'s Lt. Brian Murphy
Oak Creek (Wis.) P.D.'s Lt. Brian Murphy

The Wisconsin police officer who was ambushed by the Sikh temple shooter is resting at Froedtert Hospital in critical condition.

Lt. Brian Murphy, a 21-year veteran of the Oak Creek Police Department, was struck by nine bullets fired by Wade Michael Page, who opened fire inside Sikh Temple of Wisconsin at about 10:25 a.m. Sunday.

The 51-year-old Lt. Murphy, a former tactical team leader, arrived at the scene within minutes of the 911 call from inside the temple. After driving into the temple's driveway, he came upon a victim and exited his cruiser to help.

Page ambushed Lt. Murphy, shooting him after the officer came face to face with the shooter. Murphy was shot eight or nine times, including at least once in the neck. He is in critical condition, but officials have said they expect him to survive.

Other responding officers encountered Page and ordered him to drop his handgun. He refused and a SWAT officer "put the individual down" with a squad rifle, Chief John Edwards said at a Monday press conference.

Officers found Lt. Murphy after a PAR (Personnel Accountability Report) check to his two-way radio went unanswered, Chief Edwards said. When other officers found Lt. Murphy, the wounded officer motioned for them to head into the temple, reports the Milwaukee Jounal Sentinel.

Related:

Chief: Officer Response Limited Sikh Temple Tragedy

Sikh Temple Shooter Was White Supremacist, Army Vet

FBI: Sikh Temple Shooter's Motive Unclear

Tags: Officer Down, Oak Creek (Wis.) PD, Sikh Temple Shooting, First Responders

nick @ 8/6/2012 4:49 PM

Courage and fearlessness. This is what all officers have to have. A true hero.

Robocop @ 8/6/2012 5:10 PM

God Bless Lt Murphy and prayers for a speedy and complete recovery. It takes a very special individual to respond to the sounds of gunfire putting himself in immediate danger just to try and help others. These special individuals are called Police Officers and Lt. Murphy is a fine example of a Police Officer.

Sgt.Buzz @ 8/6/2012 5:14 PM

This is a true leader. Prayers for a full recovery!!!

David @ 8/6/2012 5:22 PM

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims, their families, the shooters family and most importantly our wounded brother and his family, co-workers & friends. Lt. Murphy is a hero among us and should be praised for his gallant efforts to help a wounded victim. I cannot praise him enough!! We wish Lt. Murphy a speedy recovery and he and his family will be in our prayers as they navigate his road to recovery.

This may not be the most appropriate time to mention this, but if just one officer reads this and he is involved in an active shooter incident and this saves him/her from being ambushed, it is well worth it. Remember that we were taught to go past the fallen victims of an active shooter incident, even though it totally goes against our basic instinct to stop and render aid to someone. We must continue toward the objective and deal with it first. I am having a hard time writing this because I wasn't there, I'm far away from there, I don't want to be that arm chair QB. Maybe the next responding officer was minutes away, remember at least two go after the bad guy. So please don't take this wrong, just fall back on your training. If we get taken out, we can't help anyone else.

Great job to all of the officers that responded to this insane mad man's massacre. I am proud to be associated with y'all!!

God's speed...

Amy @ 8/6/2012 5:35 PM

I am the wife of a Police Chief of a small town in Pennsylvania and my prayers and thoughts go out to the victims, families and law enforcement involved in this tragedy. I am fearful every day my husband is working, however, I know it is what he loves to do!

JJ @ 8/6/2012 6:04 PM

David, no need to feel bad about saying what we all know, or should reasonably be aware of. I am sure Lt. Murphy would agree with you. As human beings, cops most times have a very tender spot and want to help the fallen victim, that is why we sometimes make honest mistakes that we pay dearly for. I am not sure I would have done anything different than he did. May God grant him his healing power to overcome these wonds and recover to lead his officers.

Bob@Az. @ 8/6/2012 6:12 PM

David, I can't add another word, you've said it all.

Tom Ret @ 8/6/2012 6:21 PM

Whether the officer should have done this or that tactically does not diminish from his bravery and willingness to put himself in harms way to protect the innocent. His actions will be applauded by all in law enforcement.

Dr. Rushdi Cader @ 8/6/2012 6:37 PM

You are a hero, Lt. Murphy. Our nation is proud of men like you who put duty ahead of their personal safety. Many people in that temple owe you their lives! May God grant you a swift and complete recovery.

John Carlin @ 8/6/2012 7:40 PM

Lt. Murphy God speed to a quick recovery you did the right thing you were there. To every one" Train as if your Life depended on it"

Kevin J. Ryan @ 8/6/2012 7:52 PM

I recently instructed a new recruit class on active shooter. David, you said it all. Lt. Murphy, you are a hero. I hope all of my officers show the same courage you did that day. I totally agree with John. You were there when they needed you. God bless you. To all officers, these are dangerous times. Be safe.

Stuart Umlauf @ 8/6/2012 7:53 PM

God speed for a quick and complete recovery my courageous brother in blue. My prayers are with you and your family.

JANickols @ 8/6/2012 11:15 PM

If off duty, don't forget your off duty weapon. There seems to be a full moon every day. Be ready for the unexpected.......

Best wishes to Lt. Murphy.

Robert Nichols @ 8/7/2012 1:18 AM

Prayers for you and your family and a speedy recovery Brother.

Dan @ 8/7/2012 6:38 AM

It is a sad reflection on society today that the only way we find out about the heroes in our midst is by such tragic events. God Bless You, Lt. I pray for the victims.

Random @ 8/7/2012 6:47 AM

Thank you all for proving once again that you are here to help the good, keep the peace safe, and assist in removing the leftovers as necessary.

Get well soon!

Don S. @ 8/7/2012 7:16 AM

Serve and protect. LT. Murphy has kept those sacred vows. May the "Great Physician" take care of you as you have sacrificed for others. Take care "Brother in Blue". Wishing you a speedy recovery. And from one vet to another, thanks for your service.

Chief Ken Lewis @ 8/7/2012 9:06 AM

Good job, Lieutenant. Get well soon. We need you back out here with us.

Scott from Florida @ 8/7/2012 11:27 AM

Last week I was involved in an active shooter situation where a shooter had shot his girlfriend dead then her sister. The sister escaped and called 911. Upon our arrival, all the info we had was the shooter had shot two people, one victim was still inside the small apartment with the shooter. At the moment SWAT was called, my partner looked at me and we both said, Active shooter, we got to go in. We breached the door within seconds and found the girl friend dead and the shooter deceased from a self inflicted gun shot wound. I am sharing this because I know the over whelming feeling of fear we all have when we are faced with a serious threat. No BS, No hero talk, We were scared and we knew there was a probability one or both of us could be seriously hurt or killed. This is were the rubber meets the road. Once we decided to enter and breached the door, training took over and we had a sense of calm. However, I must say, the seconds up to that moment were terrifying. Kudo's go to the Lt. for stepping up when I know there was a desire to get out of there. Well done to all my fellow Officers who face our fears everyday. It sucks, big time but we do what we do because we are servants. My prayers go out to those who were victims and those forced to stop this monster.

Dwayne Juedes @ 8/7/2012 3:56 PM

May God bless and heal you completely. You are in our prayers. Thank you for going in. The only thing that will stop horrible incidents like this is more guns in compitant hands when the trouble starts. Retired LEO Dwayne Juedes

Chuck McKenzie @ 8/8/2012 3:19 PM

As I write this on August 8, the Lieutenant is now out of bed and walking. God bless him in his recovery. As a retired officer who often had no back-up in my last few years, I know what it is to handle the situation lone, no matter how difficult. You are a real hero; thanks to you, your city is much safer, and the pos is dead.