ESS Crossbow Photochromic Ballistic Eyeshield - ESS Eyepro
The ESS Crossbow Photochromic eyeshield are created using Transition Optics...

Suspect In Wash. Trooper's Death Shoots Self

February 23, 2012  |

Photo: Washington State Patrol
Photo: Washington State Patrol

A suspect in the shooting death of a Washington State Patrol trooper early Thursday shot himself as SWAT members closed in, reports the Associated Press.

Investigators had received a tip about where to find Joshua Jearl Blake, the registered owner of the pickup truck stopped by Trooper Tony Radulescu. As the Kitsap County (Wash.) Sheriff's SWAT team approached Blake's house, deputies heard a single gunshot and found him dead.

Blake, an ex-con, was known to law enforcement in the area for meth convictions, assaulting the mother of one of his children and kicking out the window of a police car, reports the Associated Press.

Trooper Radulescu, 44, had pulled over the truck around 1 a.m. on Highway 16 about 20 miles west of Seattle across Puget Sound and had radioed the location and license plate number. When the trooper didn't respond to a status check, officers were sent to his location and found him mortally wounded.

Trooper Radulescu, a 16-year veteran of the agency, was assigned to the state patrol office in Bremerton. He served his entire career in the patrol's Bremerton district, working in several local communities.

"We've lost a co-worker, and the citizens of Washington have lost a humble public servant," Chief John Batiste said in a statement. "Tony was the kind of person everyone wanted to be around, including me. I truly enjoyed working with him."

Trooper Radulescu was popular outside the patrol as well. He was well known in the community for the many visits and presentations he did at local schools, according to Batiste.

Tags: Washington State Patrol, Vehicle Stops, Suicidal Subjects, Duty Deaths, Kitsap County (Wash.) Sheriff

David @ 2/23/2012 12:07 PM

It's a tragedy that the general public would rather shoot an officer than to take a general traffic citation and even take his own life rather than answer for his crimes against humanity!!! I have been an officer for eleven years and to see how officers killed in the line of duty have risen since I started in my career absolutely scares the Hell out of me and my family and I think our government really needs to address this growing problem and do something about it before its too late!!!

Bob@Az. @ 2/23/2012 7:10 PM

Why in the hell wasn't Officer Radulescu advised of the history of this pos prior to leaving his squad? How sad. RIP Officer Radulescu. You will be missed.

dan @ 2/23/2012 7:47 PM

David, just what do you want the government (officers?) to do to the general public? I don't think this scum would be considered general public.

Bob, just how much time do you think time there is to pull up a criminal history? Besides he had the computer in his car to pull up the information.

Morning Eagle @ 2/23/2012 10:30 PM

Though my time in WSP was back in the '60s and '70s so I did not know this Trooper, I still feel deep personal regret at the senselessness of such a crime and the loss to my department and other local agencies that worked with and knew him, along with a sadness for his family (one son currently serving in the military) and fellow Troopers. I must say I am GLAD the ex-con that killed him did not survive.

Steve @ 2/24/2012 8:09 AM

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of this trooper. IF there is a postive in all of this it would be that they will not have to go through a trial where the accused was given the opportunity to whine about all his troubled past, and then get a short sentence because of overcrowding or some such BS.

Trigger @ 2/24/2012 10:33 AM

Typical bad ass turned whimp. Would have been nice if SWAT could have put a couple rounds through the dirtbags head.

Capt David-retired LA Cou @ 2/25/2012 8:52 AM

His suicide, many years too late I might add, at least saved the state a whole lot of money putting him away for life. My sympathies to the WSP Officers family.