SI Prizm MFrame - Oakley
Oakley Standard Issue has developed an array of contrast enhanced Prizm lenses...

N.J. SWAT Team Disbanded After Taking Photos with Hooters Waitresses

November 21, 2007  |

The commander of the Hoboken, N.J., SWAT team has been disciplined and his team dissolved after city officials discovered photos of the team taken at an Alabama Hooters restaurant last year.

The photos show team members posing with Hooters waitresses. Some of the photos show the waitresses wearing the team's gear and posing with its weapons, including a tactical shotgun.

The team was returning from post-Katrina relief duty when it stopped at the Alabama restaurant.

Bill Bergin, Hoboken's new public safety director told the Jersey Journal that the team had been disbanded "permanently."

The team members are expected to remain on the force. Lt. Angelo Andriani was relieved of command and assigned to a desk.

City Councilman Ruben Ramos Jr. has called for an investigation into the conduct of the team during the trip.

Tags: Hoboken (N.J.) PD, Officer Misconduct, Badge Bunnies

mak33 @ 11/23/2007 12:11 PM

Another knee jerk reaction to some officers not thinking things through. Give me a break, we let people touch our equipment at departmental show and tell the public events. Was it the smartest move on their part; No. But lets dispand a Tactical Team over this instead of handle individuals. Punish the citizens when you have a hostage event or an active shooter event and you have extended ETA's because your own team no longer exists. Yes dear widow, we had a trained SWAT team but got rid of them because WE sent them to deal with death and trauma and to vent they let Hooters girls pose in pictures with their equipment. Sorry, mam. This goes to show the mentality of administrators and how they truly care about the public. Give me a break, idiots.

knight3218 @ 11/24/2007 9:40 PM

That's some fine administrator at work, He just made an example of those officers for having some much needed fun, as since I live in the New Orleans area, I KNOW what the working conditions were like. This administrative idiot decided that he would also punish the community, by disbanding the SWAT team and if someone dies (Officer, Citizen, or Both) because of it I hope they sue his A$$ off and he gets Fired.
How STUPID can an administrator get? Just when I think I've heard it all, some Idiot tops the last idiot.

It's hard to find administrators with any common sense, so when I meet one that still thinks and acts like a police officer, I consider them to be worthy of my loyalty and respect.

I can't say more about this, and keep it civil so I'll stop now...... What a Jacka$$ !!

tcpd0210 @ 11/26/2007 6:28 PM

I guess I missed where Hooters Girls were illegal to consort with. Would it have been better if they posed with a group of Amish women?

dcunningh @ 11/26/2007 9:14 PM

Another certified jerk who only knows politics, and not what happens on the street. This PSA has no concept of the stress that occurs on Special Operations. He has upheld my opinion of politicians. Maybe "he" will need the SWAT team one day, oh well.

arcjoh @ 11/27/2007 11:37 AM

Not a smart move on the tactical teams part but.... sounds like an excuse for the city admin to disband a team. For the administration to say "permanently" sounds like they didn't want the team in their city anyway.

blacqsands @ 11/27/2007 9:41 PM

I think people seem to forget what kind of work we are in. And yes maybe the team slipped up a little but, does this admin. know cwhat we really go through. We're out here every day risking our lives to protect guys like him an evey one else ...So the team should of gotten a slap on the hand and keep it moving. Sounds like an exuse to me but you guys hang in there things will work out.

tferro @ 11/29/2007 4:36 AM

if you been in or around a firefight, heavy duty on the street
seen death and destruction and other stuff that makes you wonder
about this human condition called life. you will come to know the reward of R&R away from the Blue Line.......just dont take pictures
what happens on R&R stays on R&R...
Hey fellows!!!! life is short please take care of you
work safe be safe play safe
hollar

faroffcop @ 11/29/2007 9:21 AM

Sounds to me like the administrator had a "private agenda" and was simply looking for a convenient excuse to disband the team. How characteristic of most managers who don't have the ethical character to simply address the "real" issues directly rather than needing a smoke screen. Poetic justice would be if the administrator's family was taken hostage and there was no SWAT team to respond. Wonder if his/her private agenda would change?

adrian stroud @ 12/3/2007 6:06 AM

Another example of kill a fly with a sledgehammer. We have a terribly stressful job, and yet we can't ever relax. I'll tell you, the best weapon in my personal arsenal is my sence of humor! Thank God I have that. So these guys posed with the Hooter's girls---who cares?! So take the Commander aside when he gets backs and ask him to be a little more circumspect. End of story. But disband the team? Thank God we have SWAT teams and people who want to serve on them. They might save my 48 year old carcass on a call one day!!

Sgt_Lobo @ 12/4/2007 5:50 AM

I think the team did "screw up". However, if someone were to be punished, I think the Lt. on the team is that person. I would agree he made a bad decision, but the to disband the team? As stated, that decision was either a poor knee jerk reaction or from an agenda already in place. As a TL for a SWAT team, I wouldn't knowingly allow the guys to have a photo like this taken, knowing it would somehow become public and result in "issues".

David Davis @ 12/11/2007 4:42 PM

Let us quit beating around the bush as to how we feel about the administrator. He is a stupied, politically motivated, ass hole. If I had a Hooters here I would get my pict made and send it to that guy. Hope he is taken captive by a gang of sex craved transvestites (sorry if I offend anyone) and he has lots of time to think about not having SWAT come to the rescue.