The Law Officer's Pocket Manual - Bloomberg BNA
This handy 4" x 6" spiral-bound manual offers examples showing how rules are...

NBPA Sends Letter of Support to Nike CEO for Kaepernick Advertisement

September 06, 2018  |

Embed from Getty Images

When Nike released its new advertising campaign featuring former NFL-quarterback Colin Kaepernick, National Association of Police Organizations called for its ranks to boycott the shoemaker's products.

Other police organizations made announcements decrying the decision to employ Kaepernick as a spokesperson because he had famously taken a knee in protest during the national anthem before his games. His actions—he said at the time—were to raise awareness of what he believed to be mistreatment of African American citizens at the hands of police officers.

But at least one police organization has broken ranks and offered a word of support for Nike and Kaepernick.

The National Black Police Association released an open letter they sent to Mark Parker, Nike's CEO, saying that NBPA "believes that Mr. Kaepernick's stance is in direct alignment with what law enforcement stands for—the protection of a people, their human rights, their dignity, their safety, and their rights as American citizens."

The letter concluded, "The NBPA proudly supports Nike and your use of Mr. Kaepernick in your new 'Just Do It' advertising campaign. Truth and upholding the Constitutional rights of citizens are cornerstones of leadership in policing. Our mission includes striving to bridge the gap between law enforcement and our communities—we are committed to ensuring equity for the community, as we work to enhance trust, legitimacy, transparency, and accountability in policing."

C. Wynn @ 9/6/2018 2:43 PM

It is amazing to me that we even have a NBPA. If there was a white officers association of any kind it would be condemned as being racist. We are all COPS period. We all wear blue, brown, black or whatever color uniform your agency has and we all bleed red. COPS of all races have died protecting citizens or all colors, creeds, religions etc. This second string football player has openly condemned and stereotyped all Law Enforcement Officers as "pigs" who are racist and prejudice against African Americans. Now Nike chooses to make him into a martyr and hero. If they wanted a true hero for their add campaign they should have pictured the men and women from our military, police, fire and other first responders. The ones who put their lives on the line every day for people they don't even know of every skin color. Instead they choose an overpaid looser. It is so disappointing to see any organization representing police officers claim to support this.

Brian Skaggs @ 9/6/2018 2:46 PM

So what was the point of this? Further divide everyone and everything? Hey leadership of the NBPA, are you going to now join the media and the leftists in this country and become apologists for black murders who target and ambush police officers, just for being police officers? May as well....because its things like this stupid ad campaign and their moron hero that give energy and drive to those who would seek to do harm to cops. And what of the relationships between black and white police who work for the same agency? ALL cops should be your concern, not just black ones. Your unprofessional conduct and opportunistic behavior are disgusting. You made huge mistake with this move....

Deputy Ken @ 9/6/2018 2:49 PM

Kinda sounds like the NBPA is political shill organization. Real cops, regardless of color wouldn't be supporting that hate mongering race baiter Kaepernick, or Nike's stupid decision to cast their lot with him.

No more Nike gear for me.

Tetro80 @ 9/6/2018 2:50 PM

I have been a LEO for over 38 years and have never mistreated anyone regardless of their race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or any other group you might belong to. The only group I have issues with are the criminal elements out there who commits a crime regardless of their race. So forgive me if I find this letter sent by the NBPA to Nike an insult to every LEO out there who does their job regardless of their race and who they encounter.

You should be ashamed of yourselves and this letter. You need to apologies to your brothers out there who work with you every day.

tetro80 @ 9/6/2018 2:52 PM

So the National Black Police Association (NBPA) praises Nike for their add. So NBPA is saying they support Kaepernick add and proudly supports Nike. So if they agree with what Kaepernick stance is, they themselves (NBPA) must believe they are part of the problem and mistreat African American “citizens” as police officers. How about the rest of the Africans who live in this country that are not “citizens” they don’t deserve to be protected?

tetro80 @ 9/6/2018 2:53 PM

Terry @ 9/6/2018 2:57 PM

Whoever is heading up the NBPA needs to be replaced. Kaepernick has repeatedly put down the people in Law Enforcement and done things that demonstrate that he has no respect for the profession. I think he is one of the biggest POS I can think of in recent years. He should have been arrested for aiding and abetting a felon for providing financial support for a convicted Cop Killer on the run. I can't believe anyone would support such a low life. And then for Nike to hire the person that did just that and the NBPA to praise them for it. I know a lot of Black Officers that don't share the view of the people in charge at the NBPA. I would bet that a majority of the Officers in the NBPA don't agree with them. Sounds like it's time to replace the Aholes in charge over there.

Westcoastleo @ 9/6/2018 3:36 PM

Id like to see what the families of Killed On Duty black peace officers have to say about that.

Ktyhawk @ 9/6/2018 3:49 PM

Oh great... another divisive action in law enforcement. Way to go NBPA. Your just another SJW outfit. Why not sign on with the SPLC.

Ktyhawk @ 9/6/2018 3:50 PM

So the NBPA has joined forces with other SJW outfits. Maybe the MBPA could join up with the SPLC. More division within law enforcement.... just what we need.

Trigger @ 9/6/2018 4:09 PM

I would like to know what sacrifice Kaepernick has made. What contribution has he made to anything for law enforcement or the black community. Has he put his boots on the ground to help anyone in the troubled black neighborhoods? There are many dedicated law enforcement professionals who are doing those things but they are a silent group not making a scene. Nike has lost a lo of business and respect for their decision: Nike has been a mainstay in our family not any longer.

David A Goad @ 9/6/2018 4:14 PM

In my 40 years as a LEO I have never mistreated a member of the public, a suspect, nor a defendant, regardless of skin color, background or religious preference. I have proudly defended the right of the public to protest peacefully but Colin Kaepernick has used those rights in promote falsehoods and create dissension. Nike’s decision to portray him as some kind of hero is disgusting. Its society and the media that has made Kaepernick an idol, champion, hero – surely you know the definition of these titles – and he doesn’t measure up to any of them. He propagates nothing but contempt for the law enforcement profession, and now the National Black Police Association (NBPA) has stooped to an all-time low by joining the crowd in support of his and Nike’s actions. Wow, your collective judgments are severely disturbing and to my fellow law enforcement brothers and sisters at National Black Police Association (NBPA) – what in the hell were you thinking with this endorsement???

Tom ret @ 9/6/2018 4:23 PM

The members of the NBPA should work the NFL games then since they identify so closely with Kapernuts and his kneeling buddies.

Cw @ 9/6/2018 4:55 PM

Where is black lives matter on this topic, obviously these so claimed NBPA thinks black police officer lives dont matter. What a disappointment. I would not pay this group to represent me or buy products from any company that supports hate, especially on the ones who protect our streets to keep us safe. I would be offended to be in the commercial with Colin and be tied to someone that hates. I hope the other athletes in the commercial speak out against supporting hate.

Charlie @ 9/6/2018 4:55 PM

Is this really what law enforcement has come to, black police officers and others.The last I remember, law enforcement officers are just that, law enforcement officers. There are no black laws or laws for others to enforce, laws are for all. Blood is red, when shed by either black or other officers. Brothers in uniform, either band together or suffer the severe consequences. Further, when a group, within a group decide to support a person or an idea, they should first remember the oath they took when they pinned on their badge. If they wish to be politicians, then that's what they should be, not law enforcement officers.

Anthony @ 9/6/2018 5:40 PM

Once again these organizations are out of touch with their membership. The same thing happened in 2009 when the FOP endorsed Holder as AG. Many in my chapter resigned, as I did since we were well aware that he was a radical.

I know quite a few Black-American police officers and they spit on what that washed up NFL QB said and does.

Dan @ 9/6/2018 7:22 PM

C. Wynn the NBPA was created since police departments were not allowing them to move up the ranks. Also the police unions did not allow them to join in the beginning. As a white officer don't see the problem why they can have their own group. It is funny how no one is talking about how all white owners took money from the gov't and never passed a rule like the other leagues. If you are pissed at the NFL blame all the white owners that took money for the nation anthem.

Jon Retired LEO @ 9/6/2018 7:37 PM

I could be dead wrong but I have a suspicion that someone with a lot of money paid them to take this disgraceful stance. I can proudly say that I don't own anything Nike nor have I ever bought anything Nike. Now I sure a hell will not be buying anything Nike Period!

Chad Stuart @ 9/6/2018 7:44 PM

Let me get this straight, the NBPA is supporting Nike and Kaepernick when he is against anyone in uniform. This is just another example of how crazy this crap is. This man has done nothing to help any of them, but now they are cowarding down to this thug for whatever reason.

Peacewarrior @ 9/6/2018 7:47 PM

United we stand, divided we fall. In 19 years of Law Enforcement work, I have not witnessed nor engaged in unequaled policing, bias or abuse of power. We are either together or we are going to fall, as a nation and as a profession. I am all for justice, accountability and responsibility. But these blanket national attacks on law enforcement are not going to do anything but destroy us. And Mr. Kaepernick has insulted us all as Americans and led to division. Nike and Kaepernick have the right to do what they want, but I will not support them and will speak the truth directly. I will not protest my making myself the focus of attention and making money off of it. The very nature of racism is being embodied in these protest. Exploiting single events to attack an entire group.

David R McConnaughey @ 9/7/2018 4:25 AM

Disgusting. NBPA is a racist organization by definition. Why do you suppose they wanted a separate, segregated organization in the first place? Why do you suppose they want to be separate from their fellow officers if they're not racist? I don't want ANY officers to be separate from me. The fact that THEY do, is self-explanatory. Some people enjoy going through life with a chip on their shoulder, holding a grudge against people because of the color of their skin is sick and anathema to everything Martin Luther King preached. "Judged by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin" was directed to ALL OF US! NBPA, you're part of the problem, not the solution.

Gary Vernon @ 9/7/2018 5:30 AM

Sadly Nike has chose to be another divisive force in America. Too bad they won't spend money to help solve problems. Greed seems to be the motivation here.

El Capitan @ 9/7/2018 6:35 AM

I spent 40 years in the New York City Police Department (retiring as Captain,) the most racially diverse city and police agency in the US. In my 1959, Police Academy class of 250 my company of 35 had 4 black recruits. They passed the same tests that I did and were as well-qualified to be cops as I was. Not one ever expressed resentment toward their white brothers in blue. Several went on to achieve high rank; including one who became Chief of Department, the highest uniformed position in the NYCPD.

When I was a detective one of our four man team was black. He was the most conservative of all, a registered Republican and ardent Barry Goldwater supporter. These former colleagues of mine, if still alive, must be sick over the actions of the NBPA.

One final note. In the bad old days of the Black Liberation Army police assassinations two of the four murdered NYCPD police officers were black; Waverly Jones and Gregory Foster. They died for the likes of that traitor Kaepernick!

Carmen Piccirillo @ 9/7/2018 10:40 AM

Wow!! Way to go Nike. Are you selling clothing and sports equipment or radical political ideology?!?! Are you promoting the quality of your products or hate and mistrust between the public and the devoted law enforcement officers of all races who risk their lives everyday to protect them. And for what? To promote good will and public safety??? Or for CORPORATE PROFIT??!! Well I have and idea!!!! I am going to organize a public event to invite any interested LEO's, first responders and members of the public to bring all your NIKE gear and build as big of a bonfire as we possibly can with it and publicize that!! Anybody in????

tetro80 @ 9/7/2018 10:46 AM

NBPA is this a police officer mistreating an African American or African Americans mistreating a Police officer?

I hope this link works

Skiman94 @ 9/7/2018 11:25 AM

As an American cop who happens to be black, I am sickened. Politics have become so divisive to the point you can literally be supporting a movement against your own well being. I'm certain the members of the NBPA are Democrats all. I have no idea how they can take the stand they have. BTW, I haven't owned a Nike product since 1985, the original Jordans were made. Identity politics are breaking this country down!

Greg Connor @ 9/7/2018 12:56 PM

One only has to look at the controversy crated by Nike in its latest action to see the distancing existing between the police and those they have sworn to protect and serve.

Two things are critical to understand. First, someone once said that "Any publicity is "good" publicity", and Nike knows that very well. It will be a multi-billion dollar corporation with our without police support.
And secondly, years ago we created this exclusionary behavior that is coming back to bite us. Black, Irish, women, etc. is an unending description of of our quest for group separation. We even do it by jurisdictional status: State, Local, Federal, etc. in goes on and on!. If we all swore to serve others, protect rights, and enhance responsibilities why are we acting like this? Instead of blaming each other, why not stand up for the "totality" of thought and task.
It's clear we don't think alike but we do have a sole purpose in our performance, universal service.

LegAdv @ 9/8/2018 11:52 AM

This clinches it for me. I won't purchase any Nike product...ever!

Robert @ 9/9/2018 12:02 AM

As a former cop turned trauma doc I just do not understand why the head of Nike don't realize the following:(1) Patrick Tillman, NFL player resigned from NHL contract to go fight for our rights overseas and was killed by 'friendly fire'. He wasn't good enough? (2) Denver Broncos GM John Elway offerred Kapernick an extremely fair multi-million dollar contract which he turned down. No further contacts will be forthcoming per Elway. (3) How many ride-a-longs, police benefits, police academies, etc. has "Kaperkrap" participated in like with Shaquille O'Neil? (4) Members of the NBPA should fire their leadership and every black officer should announce to their squad whether he/she supports such nonsense. Having refused an offer he is obviously not subject to a boycott.

ANDREW @ 9/9/2018 4:31 PM

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE A SPECIAL FORCES TROOPER IN THE HIGHLANDS OF Afghanistan dodging bullets and watching your buddies die? The only thing to keep you going is the image of our flag burned into our memories while we were in school. We happily kill the Taliban because they are a threat to our country and her citizens. We would happily address our enemies at home and far away. Don't ever doubt our training and determination, remember what we were taught and how we were tra9ned to do it.

otj27yrs @ 9/10/2018 1:08 PM

Ok This story is hardly worth the print. Go take a look at their website. Its garbage with broken links, pages "coming soon" or 404 error file not found. They have financials links for 2013 and 2014 but they won't open. They claim to have three regions with one region president slot vacant. Their board has no executive director or legal counsel slot filled. Out of 21 board positions only 9 members bothered to have a photo listed above their BlackPolice .org email. I'm sure they exist but I doubt they have any real membership to speak of. They are a JOKE. Were I in a minority demographic I would be embarrassed to be associated of their organization. And If you are you should ask where your dues money goes.

It would as ridiculous as someone stating that they represented an organization called "Skinny Loving Underwear Guys" or SLUG that endorsed Victoria"s Secret for not promoting plus size models in their advertising. "No Body Pays Any" Dooos! or "No Body Pays Any" Taxes WHAT A JOKE

Joe @ 9/10/2018 5:56 PM

where are the NBPA when a black person kills a police officer or who beats a police officer almost to Death. I am glad that they see the whole picture. So if we had a WHITE only Police Association what would they say about that? Hey NBPA if you are so into this why not disband your organization and have one organization for police officers? Or why not the White Cops create their own NWPA, I bet you would start calling them Racist. Love the Double Standard.

Paul Sanchez @ 9/11/2018 11:32 AM

I believe the NBPA has it all wrong. We do not provide "the protection of a people, their human rights, their dignity, their safety, and their rights as American citizens", we provide protection for ALL people REGARDLESS of their race, ethnicity, religion, financial standing, etc. And we wonder why we are a racially divided country...

AlanG @ 9/13/2018 2:43 PM

I wil try to use my outside voice on this one. I agree with most of the comments regarding the NBPA to include why is it needed? I am familiar with some of the persons on the board for that organization and nothing the say would surprise me. I noted the comment by the former cop now Trauma Doc, Robert. I am thinking you might be the one that used to work with me. If so, the chairperson of the NBPA works for that same agency.

Joe @ 9/14/2018 4:17 PM

@Dave - ummm the NBPA has been around for quite sometime and does not let white or Hispanics Join. And in the 32 years i was in Law Enforcement there was NEVER a time where Black officers were not being promoted or NOT being allowed to join the FOP or other police officer associations. Not sure where you get your info but you should do more research. The only thing your correct in is who cares if they have their own NBPA but hey open up to everyone, oh wait they are discriminating against those with white or brown skin.