The Law Officer's Pocket Manual - Bloomberg BNA
This handy 4" x 6" spiral-bound manual offers examples showing how rules are...

Widow of Fallen Officer Writes Letter to Nike Over Kaepernick Ad

September 05, 2018  |

The following is an open letter to Nike posted on Facebook by Sherry Graham-Potter, surviving spouse of Pima County (AZ) Sheriff's Deputy Tim Graham. In 2005 Deputy Graham was struck by a vehicle and killed while struggling with an emotionally disturbed person.

Law enforcement survivor Sherry Graham-Potter wrote an open letter to Nike telling the story of her loss and how she put on this hat and started running after her husband was killed in the line of duty in 2005. (Photo: Sherry Graham-Potter/Facebook)

Dear Nike,

I want to have a conversation about this hat. It's over 13 years old. I don't remember when I bought it exactly, I don't remember where I bought it. But what I do remember is why I wore it.

On August 10, 2005, I was a newlywed with two young sons. My husband Tim and I had toasted our one month anniversary the night before, and I was enjoying a rare evening to myself, catching up on reading and relishing the quiet. Until there was a knock on my door. I had no way of knowing that the small act of turning a knob was about to shatter my life into a million pieces. I sat numb and in sheer disbelief as I was told that my husband, while in a foot pursuit and subsequent struggle with a suspect that ended up in the road, had been struck and killed by an oncoming vehicle. He took his last breath lying in the middle of the street. What I lost in that moment is indescribable. I had to watch his mother be dealt the most agonizing blow a parent can face, and I couldn't comfort her because I was in my own hell. I had to find a way to gut my own children in the gentlest way possible, and tell them that this man they had come to love, who they looked up to, who cared for them as his own, would never walk through our door again.

I don't know if you've ever attended a police funeral, but watching grown men who've seen the absolute worst things a civilian can imagine, break down and sob over the casket of their brother is an image that never leaves you. The bagpipes haunt my dreams to this day, but it was the faces of my children, the innocence that abandoned them at such a tender age that brought me to my knees.

I had no choice but to move on. We trudged zombie-like through our days for weeks and weeks on end. I never left the house except to drive the boys to school, or buy food we barely touched. I realized that I had to do something. I had to move my body or I was going to crawl out of my own skin. So I put on the only cap I had and I went for a run. It was short, it hurt and it was ugly. But I felt, just for those few moments on that road, like a normal person. So I kept doing it. I put that hat on and I ran every day. Sometimes I had to stop and sit down because I was sobbing so hard. Sometimes I was so angry I ran until I thought I my heart would stop, sometimes I would just scream over and over again, but it still felt better than doing nothing.

That black cap became a symbol to me, it is sweat stained and its shape is gone, the buckle in the back barely closes; but that hat represents my family's rise from the ashes. It stands for the strength and the sacrifice we made loving a man who had a job that we all knew could end his life, every time he walked out that door. And it did. And I accept that.

I still wear this hat, I wore it on my run this morning. And then I heard about your new ad campaign.

Colin Kapernick has the absolute right to protest anything he damn well pleases. I don't dispute that for one second. My father, my husband and many, many friends have all served this country and were willing to fight for his right to kneel.

But that right goes both ways. I also have a right to express my disgust at your decision to portray him as some kind of hero. What, exactly has Colin Kapernick sacrificed? His multi million dollar paycheck...? Nope, you already gave him one of those. His reputation? No, he's been fawned over by celebrities and media alike. Funny, Tim Tebow was never called courageous when he knelt.

This man, whose contempt for law enforcement fits him like a...sock, has promoted an agenda that has been proven false time and time again, in study after study. But facts don't seem to matter anymore. This man has thrown his support behind divisive anti-police groups, and donated money directly to a fugitive from justice who escaped prison after killing a police officer. I question the judgment of anyone who would put someone this controversial and divisive at the head of an advertising campaign, but it isn't my company to run.

I don't know if I'll have the heart to ever get rid of this cap, but I will tell you this, I'll never purchase another Nike product as long as I live. You got this one wrong Nike, terribly, terribly wrong.

Sherry Graham-Potter, surviving spouse of Deputy Tim Graham

Shaddoeman @ 9/5/2018 3:37 PM

I could never have said it better myself. God bless you and your family. Nike will never see another penny from my family.

Westcoastleo @ 9/5/2018 3:51 PM

Outstanding letter. I feel the same way.

Michael Hickson @ 9/5/2018 3:52 PM

I recently threw away an old worn out pair of nike shoes. I only wish that I had kept them so I could now give them a more fitting disposal. It is so sad that so many people , who, guided by the mass media, are so misled and misinformed. I can only use this opportunity to thank the Brave men of the NFL who rush into dangerous and deadly situations without thought for their own safety. Oh, wait..... THOSE are the men and women of Law Enforcement, NOT the NFL or nike executives. And certainly not colin kapernick.

JV @ 9/5/2018 4:01 PM

I remember the day Deputy Graham was killed, it was my birthday and it was a loss to lose a brother LEO. Not only did we lose an American HERO in uniform but we also lost another HERO by the name of Dawud Isa Abusida who was a passerby and stopped to aid deputy Graham. Both Graham and Mr. Abusida were killed along with the suspect by an oncoming vehicle during the struggle on the Ajo Highway..

Regina Graves @ 9/5/2018 4:29 PM

It’s disgusting. I will not buy anything with Nike on it again and I will try my hardest to convince others to do the same.

Pat in AZ @ 9/5/2018 4:35 PM

Right on Sherry!

Bill in Georgia @ 9/5/2018 5:34 PM

Having been an LEO for 35 years, I am amazed by society and the way some people think. Nike you should be ashamed of yourself for touting Colin Kapernick as a Hero or for placing him on a pedestal.
I am absolutely disgusted and will never buy another Nike product. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and Nike can market its products however it likes, but I have checked out. Remember the next time you need the police, we run toward danger and never take a knee. God bless Law Enforcement everywhere and the United States of America.

Bri @ 9/5/2018 5:53 PM

Articulate and well done. The ad campaign folks are slime for propping up a has been who can’t get a job anymore. And on the backs of so many good people....

HRPufnstuf @ 9/5/2018 5:59 PM

Fortunately, I've never been a fan of clothes, shoes, footballs, or anything else with stupid looking check marks on the side. So Nike has never seen my money. Now they still never will, but I'll be on a campaign to tell everyone else I can what I think of their love affair with a race baiting, cop hating, communist loving piece of garbage.

Paul Zimmerman @ 9/5/2018 6:23 PM

Sherry you have my support. Your letter hits the nail on the head. If all of law enforcement and their family's stick together and stop buying NIKE products they will feel the effects. I will not burn my Nike clothing that I have bought but I have taken a maker and put the circle with a slash on the Nike Logo, hope to spread the message that Nike is not Police Friendly and supports a radical uninformed millionaire. Again Sherry sorry for your loss but you did marry a HERO.

Tom ret @ 9/5/2018 7:13 PM

If I had any Nike products I would throw them away or burn them. It goes without saying that I would never buy their brand.

Roger @ 9/5/2018 7:35 PM

I will NEVER purchase anything Nike, EVER AGAIN!

Roger @ 9/5/2018 7:35 PM

I will NEVER purchase anything Nike, EVER AGAIN!

Karen Kilbury-Mensch @ 9/5/2018 7:41 PM

Sherry I stand beside 100%. I boycotted football, a game I dearly loved, because the players were being ignorant in not standing united for all the fallen hero's. Instead, most players followed suit with a spoiled rotten brat who has no respect for any of those who gave their lives. I will now also be boycotting Nike because of the decision they have made in supporting this spoiled rotten brat. There is no way I will spend my money on their products so it can be paid to a person who is so disrespectful to so many. Nice going Nike...NOT!

Lindalee Ratti @ 9/5/2018 8:00 PM

I will never buy anything , “ Nike “ , again ! Nor any of my five married children , spouses ,and their children !

Mack Jenkins @ 9/5/2018 8:01 PM

Mrs Graham-Potter, I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much for writing this letter. I agree with everything you have said, my complete support. I have been life long sports fan and consumer of NIKE products, but I will never purchase anything else from them.

I personally find Kapernick"s protests offensive, but more important than offending me, the disrespect he shows the flag and this country is divisive and does not take us as a nation even one step closer to any solution to any problem he claims to care about.

Nike made both a choice and a statement when they made this move. As you say they got it wrong, very, very. wrong.

Otj27yrs @ 9/5/2018 9:15 PM

Sadly Nike is playing to it's customer base. The base that perpetuates the false narrative that cops are racist killers on the hunt for impoverished African American male. If they want to follow those $ that is their business but I will never spend another penny with the company EVER. They produce nothing I cannot find elsewhere. I am disciplined in this as there are other companies and entities that I have left in the past. Everyone has an absolute right to express their beliefs and opinions and I have the right not to patronize their business. I don't just exercise that right while there is controversy once it's done I am still done. I know they won't miss my $ but good bye Nike.

David R. McConnaughey @ 9/6/2018 4:10 AM

Dear Nike, may you lose another 4 billion dollars. You hate the police? Right back atcha assholes!

Dave Johnson @ 9/6/2018 6:43 AM

Sherry's heartfelt letter regarding her former husband's passing ought to make NIKE wake up. I can guarantee there have been hundreds, if not more, NIKE shoe owners who have pitched out their last pair of overpriced sneakers.

Jo Ann Clark @ 9/6/2018 7:00 AM

Never ever again will I wear or buy anything from Niki. How can you people even want any part of this man. Our police officers sacrifice all to protect the Public. GOD help you for such a horrible decision to use this disrespectful anti police person. This woman's story tore my heart out. I pray GOD will bless and watch over her family.

Jo Ann Clark @ 9/6/2018 7:06 AM

I cannot express how your story tore my heart out. I cannot begin to understand why Niki would choose this anti police hating person for anything. Never again will I wear their logo or purchase anthing from them. May GOD BLESS you and every policemen and women who lay their lives on the line everyday to protect the public.

Kimberly Hershberger @ 9/6/2018 7:07 AM

You are right on and said it beautifully, i will NEVER purchase any Nike product again, this society still has good GOD fearing people who support our troops and law enforcement, but we have enough grace and common sense not to jump on every bandwagon that comes along. thank you for you letter and GOD bless you. by the way my father is 91 and a WWII veteran of the battleship IOWA so anyone who shows disrespect to our flag has no right to stay in this country, it its so bad, please leave it!

Tedb @ 9/6/2018 7:07 AM

Amen sister.

Ed H @ 9/6/2018 7:30 AM

NIKE & THIS FOOTBALL PLAYER COULD'NT BE A PIMPLE ON A COPS ASS!

Rick Bowers @ 9/6/2018 7:58 AM

I've been in Law Enforcement for almost 30 years... During this time I have attended far too many funerals involving Police Officers.... including the funeral of my own brother!! NIKE should be ashamed of themselves, and I for one, will NEVER purchase another Nike product! I agree 100% Sherry! When Tim Tebow knelt, he was never called courageous! Your husband, Deputy Tim Graham is a true hero, and I thank him for his service, and his sacrifice... Sherry, you will forever be in our hearts & prayers. Thank you for your story... (I shared it on my Facebook page - Rick Bowers Photos)

CC @ 9/6/2018 8:03 AM

Thought you all might want to know. Below is the other brands Nike owns.

In addition to the Nike and Jordan brands, our wholly-owned subsidiaries include
Cole Haan (luxury shoes, handbags, accessories and coats);
Converse (athletic and lifestyle footwear, apparel and accessories);
Hurley (action sports and youth lifestyle footwear, apparel and accessories);
Nike Golf, and Umbro (a leading U.K. based football/soccer brand).

ROBERT BOYCE @ 9/6/2018 10:37 AM

perfect letter to a bunch a-holes including pumpernickle or what ever his ignorant name is, I WILL NEVER, EVER BUY ANOTHER NIKE PRODUCT OR ANY THING MADE BY THEM. that is my solemn promise, thank you so much sherry , my prayers for you and your loved ones.

Grey Bear @ 9/6/2018 1:15 PM

Mrs, Graham-Potter, THANK YOU for your heartfelt letter, and may God in his grace and wisdom watch over you and your family, and give you comfort. You state, correctly, that protesting is everyone's right, but also correctly point out the irony that this right was secured by the past and continuing sacrifices of so many that this person so foolishly disrespects. I could maybe support Kaepernick's right a bit stronger if he'd ever done anything that even remotely resembles a sacrifice of his own; he hasn't...and shame on Nike for implying that he has.

Linda Rhodes @ 9/6/2018 1:52 PM

Congratulations on the best letter I have read describing the feelings of so many Americans. You should be commended for your views, I am just so sad for the pain and loss you had to endure. May God be with you and your family and thank you so much for the sacrifice you have made.

john holmes @ 9/6/2018 2:34 PM

Could not have been said more eloquently. I will never buy another NIKE product again and will be telling all my family and friends the same thing. I am sorry for your loss and hope that you have found some peace for no one should have to suffer that pain. It is amazing that were are able to find such men and women to still do the job of being POLICE OFFICERS. Their must be a special place in Heaven for them. May God bless you and your family. I am thinking of you!

Don Hallock @ 9/6/2018 5:25 PM

To the CEO of Nike - You will never get another dime from me. I am a USAF Combat Veteran and have watched young men die so this millionaire can kneel on the young men who died for our freedom. After many many years of watching pro-football, I no longer watch any games.

Austin @ 9/6/2018 6:09 PM

I'm sorry for your loss and pain. As many have stated, I am also done with Nike. I typically buy a Nike item once a year but will never again. I'm almost glad they (Nike) did what they did so now we all know what they believe in and represent and I know never to spend a dime on them again.

TeeCee @ 9/6/2018 7:23 PM

Disgusting -- Phil Knight (nike CEO)-- really, really, disgusting & dumb.

LegAdv @ 9/6/2018 11:57 PM

My sincere condolences to you and your family, Mrs. Graham-Potter. May God bless you and keep you. Rest assured I will never purchase any Nike product again...EVER! I recently spent a small fortune for my New Balance walking shoes, but I would burn them in a heartbeat if that company ever decided to follow Nike's outrageous decision to use someone like Colin Kapernick in their advertising campaign. It's truly a slap in the face to every LEO out there!

Christine @ 9/7/2018 2:49 AM

So very well said Sherry. I'm so sorry for your loss and will never buy another Nike product.

Shad @ 9/7/2018 5:22 AM

That is a beautiful letter. I do not understand why an American Born company like Nike would ever endorse a national anthem protestor. So disgraceful!!! My family is done with Nike and it appears I’m not alone.

sid @ 9/7/2018 5:25 AM

Nike has the right to promote their company as they believe it to br. WE AS CONSUMERS HAVE THE RIGHT TO DISPLAY OR ANGER WITH THEIR PROMOTION: TO NIKE PRODUCTS, NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grace Birch @ 9/7/2018 6:32 AM

So incredible and and heartfelt....her pain is palpable. AND, I couldn't agree more with her decision and the rational behind it. I often wear a Nike Swoosh cap when I mentor children but trust me, NO MORE!

Bart Corbett @ 9/7/2018 9:26 AM

What you’ve endured is unspeakable and you have amazing strength to pull you and your family through this traumatic experience. Based on your letter, I just through my entire Nike wardrobe is the trash where it belongs. Some of my favorite clothes for years but uou raised a very valid point. I’ll never buy anything from Nike again and will encourage others to do the same.
Bless you and stay strong. You are an inspiration to all of us.

Sherry Graham-Potter @ 9/7/2018 10:52 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone here who voiced their support for me. I am absolutely stunned at the response to my little story, and so moved by the people who've reached out. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. - Sherry Graham-Potter

Craig Amack @ 9/7/2018 1:26 PM

I could not agree more. I've never been a Nike fan since in my running days they did not offer enough support for me to be comfortable in running. Going forward will not be buying anything for any sport. They must think they are invincible. I hope the feel the pain where it hurts, in the numbers.

Bob Caughey @ 9/7/2018 1:47 PM

Well done Sherry. I am a retired federal law enforcement officer. I saw the Nike ad last night on the NFL opener with the spoiled child and wanted to through up. Goodby Nike, hello ASICS.

bo2234 @ 9/7/2018 2:15 PM

God Bless You, Dear

Jules Manson @ 9/7/2018 2:20 PM

A friend of mine won a golf tournament a few weeks back and one of the grab bag items was a Nike hat that was too big for his head, so he gave it to me. Since then Nike has supported this racist inhumane kulnkniclle, so I burned the hat.

Jules Manson @ 9/7/2018 2:30 PM

A friend of mine just won a golf tournament a few weeks back and in his bag of gifts was a NIKE hat which did not fit him so he gave it to me, since then Nike has sent their support to KLUNKANICKLE, today I burned the hat, never will I buy another Nike product.

Jules Manson @ 9/7/2018 2:33 PM

Never again NIKE

Jules Manson @ 9/7/2018 2:36 PM

Never again NIKE, to support a racist, unacceptable

Cynthia Sullivan Dodge @ 9/7/2018 4:07 PM

I will never buy another Nike product as well. You, yes you, the surviving wife of a slain officer should be the face of Nike. YOUR story. Just as you told it. That, and only that, would inspire me to purchase Nike products again

Karen @ 9/7/2018 4:55 PM

Well said. Sadly people don't seem to want to hear the truth if it doesn't fit the agenda. I agree that Nike got this one horrible wrong. The words of the campaign are sound. The representative is not. I am married to an officer, who is also retired USAF. I carried out the duties as an AF mortuary officer and have seen the US flag drape too many caskets to ever disrespect it. I've seen the families clutch the flag to their hearts as the only part of their loved one they can touch after it is removed from the casket and presented to them. Yes, he has a right to protest as I have the right to protest myself.

Debra Miller @ 9/7/2018 5:01 PM

Nike will absolutely never see another penny of my money. They disgust me!!! I will encourage everyone I know to never buy Nike products. I wouldn't take a Nike product if it was given to me.

Marti @ 9/7/2018 5:53 PM

Well said, I totally agree with you, not another dime to Nike ever again

Barbara C Lockyer @ 9/7/2018 7:51 PM

First of all, when did football players become such sacred cows? Heroes!! They do what they do out of choice and earn exorbitant salaries for it! Part of our problem is giving them so much glory for doing something they enjoy. The real heroes are those who are first responders and the military. They deserve every bit of respect they can get. Too many Blue lives have been taken intentionally in recent years. It is a disgrace to our nation and a tragedy for all those affected by their deaths! Life is life. It doesn't matter what color your skin is or what your job is. God made us all equal and those who have no respect for life are a pox on society!

Susan @ 9/7/2018 9:01 PM

After this..i never bought another item again.

Wetterlund @ 9/8/2018 12:07 AM

Thank you for your letter.
I know it could have been written by so many others that have truly sacrificed everything, and I’m glad you shared it with everyone.
I’m with you on this. Nike went the wrong direction. The face of true sacrifice, is of those that gave their lives for this great country.

EMILIAN @ 9/8/2018 2:03 AM

NIKE-the Goddess of Victory in ancient Greece .
NIKE ,you don't honor your name .
Not anymore .
Controversy is good for advertising .
And for business.
With ethics waived away ,in this case.
I'm following the stream : I'll never buy NIKE products .

JP @ 9/8/2018 5:34 AM

From where I stand, I believe the best thing nike could consider doing at this point, is to change their name, their logo, their leadership and their position !
It's amazing that any company and their leaders failed to learn from dick's Sporting Goods and their insane socialist agenda decision and it's results. This nation is fast losing their sanity at every level. GOD help us please !

John503 @ 9/8/2018 3:43 PM

You have spoken the truth sister. I refuse to support any organization that supports the NFL (National Felons League) or the weak players that fail to stand up for what is write. These men (NFL Players) have absolutely zero intestinal fortitude. I have not purchased from any organization or watched a single game in 3 years and never will again. I know my Brother's in Blue and green are doing the same. We have the right to be heard as well and their false narrative is just criminals wanting to be able to do as they please.. Sherry my heart is with you and your family and always will be, keep punching we love you...503

Linda @ 9/9/2018 7:40 AM

Not a huge football fan, but I am a fan of America. What exactly is it that Kaepernick has sacrificed? A limb? A loved one? His freedom? When Tim Tebow took a knee he was ridiculed for honoring God? What does this say? Thank you Nike for showing us your true colors by honoring a has been and coward who is trying to make a buck by disrespecting police, military and all public servants. Why didn’t you donate the money you paid a coward instead to disabled veterans and spouses of police whose lives ended to early. THAT would have made you a hero. Your shameful choice has given the REAL human race something to rally around. God bless you Sherry and your beautiful family.

Skiman94 @ 9/10/2018 8:25 AM

God bless you Sherry. I haven't bought a Nike anything in almost 30 years. I learned decades ago that Asics is a much better made product. They put their money into the product, and not into idiots like Kaepernick. He has the right to say whatever he wants. I have the right to not support it.

pam @ 9/10/2018 10:27 AM

Such a beautiful message written amid such a tragic loss. His loss will not be forgotten!
Why didn't Nike pick Tim Tebow or somone of his caliber to represent the brand? They knew the reaction
they would get from the public, so they used an emotional ad to soften the blow, which didnt work anyway.
I will not buy anything with their logo on it-I have also quit watching NFL games!

Steve @ 9/10/2018 11:24 AM

I have not read all the responses above so forgive me if I'm repeating someone else's comment.
This issue really isn't that much about Kaepernick. There always have been, are now, and always will be, individuals, with low or no morals, and/or have low mental faculties. Anyone who has been in law enforcement any length of time knows they're out there, not all of them dirt bags like Kaepernick. And as the saying goes, "you can't fix stupid". I feel this is more about NIKE's stance. Someone in their organization isn't thinking. This officer's widow has done a very good job of explaining it from a fallen officer's widow's perspective. The fact that NIKE is backing anyone who funds a killer of a police officer is no better than that person...Kaepernick! They may as well have bankrolled the killer himself. I will stand with the countless others who will no longer buy anything with NIKE on it or from the stores that carry the brand! Condolences to Sherry, her family, and fellow officers!

Glo @ 9/13/2018 9:31 AM

Dear Mrs. Graham-Potter, I am so sorry for your loss and thank you for this beautiful letter. I will tell everyone I know why NIKE or the NFL should not be supported.
Police put their lives on the line for us daily and I for one will give them my full support.

gregory @ 9/15/2018 2:16 PM

Mrs. Graham Potter, so sorry for your loss. Your letter was right on. I also believe in freedom of speech and choice. Therefore, I have the same wright of freedom and choice. So, once the NFL players started taking a knee I stopped watching their games. Haven't seen one in two years. I also stopped buying the brands that support the NFL. There are some great brands that are better that I never tried, I don't miss any of those NFL sponsors brands. Also, since the (nike) ad, I will never purchase another (nike) product. I hope there is enough of us to make a difference.

Gpa @ 9/18/2018 3:53 PM

What a heart wrenching story. I also have not supported nike for over 30 years for various reasons. Now with Crapernick as their lead spokesperson this guarantees I will never buy nike products.
Granted he and nike have the right to do what they please, but they should thank the 58000+ names on a wall in DC and the names on the many memorials dedicated to first responders.
Ms Potter, my condolences. Your letter was on point.

Rich @ 9/21/2018 8:53 AM

Awesome letter Sherry ! As I read this letter my eyes teared up as it brought vivid memories of the Brothers in Law Enforcement that I saw die as they made the 'Ultimate Sacrifice'. They SACRIFICED their very lives to protect ALL citizens, even those like Kaepernick. Kaepernick has made absolutely NO sacrifices....all I can feel is PITY for him as he doesn't have a clue what it's like to be a contributing American.
May God be with all of our Brothers & Sisters in uniform !