The Law Officer's Pocket Manual - Bloomberg BNA
This handy 4" x 6" spiral-bound manual offers examples showing how rules are...

Blue Lives Matter Calls for Nike Boycott Over Kaepernick Ad

September 04, 2018  |

Blue Lives Matter has called for a boycott of Nike because of its 30th anniversary marketing campaign featuring ex-NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick. In 2016, his last season in the NFL, Kaepernick wore these pig socks in practice to make a statement about police. (Photo: Blue Lives Matter)

The pro-police organization Blue Lives Matter has called for a boycott of Nike over the company's announcement that it is launching an ad campaign featuring anti-police activist and former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Kaepernick, who initiated the kneeling protest during the National Anthem before NFL games as a reaction to what he calls "brutality" by law enforcement officers against African-American suspects, is featured in a marketing campaign with the slogan: "Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything." The ad references the belief that the protests, not Kaepernick's mediocre performance on the field, resulted in his unemployment. He is suing the NFL for collusion.

Many Americans who own Nike products have been burning or otherwise destroying them or giving them away in response to the announced ad campaign. People also responded angrily on social media with images of flag-covered coffins of fallen officers and military personnel representing real sacrifice vs. Kaepernick's career woes.

Nike stock fell a little more than 3% in trading Tuesday.

“The choice of Colin Kaepernick by Nike to be 'the Face' of their 30th Anniversary Campaign is an affront to every American law enforcement officer," Blue Lives Matter spokesman Randy Sutton said.

"Nike’s pandering to Kaepernick’s brand of politically correct hate mongering against those who serve this nation behind a badge and the disrespect he has shown to the symbols of love of our country reveals how corrupt Nike has become," Sutton added. "When an organization is more concerned with profits than with the values of justice and service that thousands have given their lives to preserve, they reveal what they truly stand for… greed and dishonor.”

Nike makes a wide variety of athletic apparel, footwear, and gear, including NFL jerseys and most NFL-sanctioned apparel for fans. The company also owns the Converse brand of footwear.

RJ @ 9/4/2018 3:26 PM

I don’t see where it should matter why he was let go. He was on there time engaging in acts that cost the NFL money. That should in itself be enough reason to can him. I have never liked Nike anyway and have very few of there products and now will have none.

Gary j @ 9/4/2018 3:41 PM

If you don't play football you should not ware Nike's. You at Nike hired the wrong man. Blue lives make a difference I hope they do not ware nikes.

Charles @ 9/4/2018 4:19 PM

I will support the police and all Americans against "Nike",and any other company, that supports a controversial, political, person that divides our nation. Stick to "the winners in sports". The winners who live and breathe their sport. Law enforcement officers buy a lot of Nike products for thselves and their family. Nike is a good product. There are other good products out there by other companies. It is my wish that all would stop purchasing any Nike products because of this really underhand political slap at law enforcement.

kevcopaz @ 9/5/2018 8:06 AM

Not much of a boycott guy, but perhaps this would be the time. ALL of us, friends family etc. ALL Unions place newspaper or bill boards with the message to boycott, yes cost some cash but will spread it. This was unnecessary for NIKE to do and a slap in our faces. Further perhaps any cop that works off-duty at any NFL games where Nike advertises with the team or at the stadium or even supplies footwear to the team should also refuse to work those games. YES I know the loss in income, but it wont take long and NIKE will be forced to retrqct.

Grey Bear @ 9/5/2018 10:41 AM

With what little respect is due to the advertising folks at Nike, Colin Kaepernick has no idea what "sacrificing everything" means. A pedestrian-level player at best, his insults and "politically correct hate mongering" have a lot to do with why he is unemployed I suspect. Maybe he needs to learn to keep his mouth shut, or at least find a cause based in reality, not false narrative.

Joanne @ 9/5/2018 12:31 PM

I am so donI hope they go under for using this piece of slime!! He has no respect for our troops or our Country! MY family fought and died so that piece of CRAP can disrespect them!! I hope he and Nike "IDIOTS" FAIL & go BANKRUPT!!"

Regina Graves @ 9/5/2018 4:45 PM

Will never buy anything Nike again and will encourage my friends and family not too either. I hope he needs the Police one day and they take their sweet time getting to him.....

DB @ 9/5/2018 4:50 PM

What, exactly has Colin Kapernick sacrificed? His multi million dollar paycheck...? Nope, you already gave him one of those. His reputation? No, he's been fawned over by celebrities and media alike. Funny, Tim Tebow was never called courageous when he knelt.

Sherry Graham-Potter, widow of Deputy Tim Potter

Could not have said it better. CK has every right to protest what he believes is an injustice to the African American people in this country. The National Anthem is a tribute to this COUNTRY, and the men and women who have fought and sacrificed to protect it. Law enforcement is a local extension of that, but we do not sing the National Anthem at daily briefing/roll call. Kneeling during the National Anthem has ever made sense to me to protest incidents of police brutality. (Alleged or substantiated).

The part that upsets me is the NFL allowing employees to use their arena as a platform for personal agendas. LEOs get fired for expressing their personal opinion on duty. So did he!

LegAdv @ 9/6/2018 11:18 PM

This clinches it for me. I won't purchase any Nike product...ever!

Joe Glen @ 9/7/2018 2:14 PM

I am a retired parole officer and I support the police who had my back on the job when serving warrants, searches, or arrests for revoking parole.
I was color blind and appreciated the help I got from anyone in uniform who helped me. Kapernick made a serious, faulty decision to protest in a very public way that in my view, cost him his career. I don't think he weighed out all the potential consequences regarding the loss of his job, income, status, etc.
I don't agree with what he did, I think everyone should stand for our flag. I also believe everyone should respect the police when they are doing their job to serve all of us, no matter what color. Colin should not have been rewarded for his kneeling with this Nike contract. He should have pursued his legal options if he feels he was excluded from the NFL illegally. Then settled for a dollar amount if awarded, and mercifully just gone away to ponder his stupid decision into his bitter old age.

John503 @ 9/8/2018 3:46 PM

I have not purchased a Nike product for the past 3 years as well as any organization that supports the NFL..I refuse to watch or support this league in any way. Any professional sport that supports this false narrative should be protested...The problem in America is people fail to follow through and they forget in a short time. Stand by what you believe for ever and ever.

Jon Retired LEO @ 9/9/2018 5:18 PM

John 503 you are so right about people forgetting quickly. 9-11 comes to mind when you talk about forgetting. To my knowledge I have never bought anything Nike and never will. Kappernuts is a disgrace to this country and every LEO and Soldier who ever served and who will serve PERIOD!!!!!!!

richard wanamaker @ 10/3/2018 6:36 AM

Kapernick and others like him, need to be given the opportunity to PERFORM police work. Give them training, and allow them to make the split-second decisions on four hours sleep at 0dark-thirty. I suggest he and those like him attempting police work, wear a diaper. Because, they're going to need one when they pee their pants in situations we handle routinely.