The Law Officer's Pocket Manual - Bloomberg BNA
This handy 4" x 6" spiral-bound manual offers examples showing how rules are...

Security Guard Fired for Filming, Not Helping Texas Officer in Struggle with Suspect

August 23, 2018  |

The president of the Houston Police Union said in a Tweet that the security guard who captured video on her cell phone of a police officer involved in a violent confrontation with a resistive subject—rather than assist the officer in getting the suspect into custody—has been fired from her job.

The incident began when police initiated a traffic stop on a car that was suspected to be connected to an aggravated robbery and shooting in Harris County. The driver—17-year-old Davon Shavelle Miller—got out of the car and fled. The officer caught up to Miller, and a scuffle ensued.

When Miller reportedly attempted to grab the officer's gun, he yelled, "Help me! Stop f---ing filming and help me!"

The security guard continued to record the incident, while a citizen intervened to help the officer.

Joe Gamaldi said on Twitter, "I contacted security company that employed the security guard. They handled the issue swiftly, she is no longer employed w/the company. In addition they expressed their love, support, admiration for HPD officers."

Miller has been charged with felony disarming a police officer for attempting to take the officer's gun, Gamaldi said.

jojo @ 8/23/2018 3:46 PM

That security guard is just another snowflake.

CB @ 8/23/2018 4:10 PM

Glad the company took swift action against the security guard.
Glad the officer was good to go, and thanks to the citizen who stepped in

COLIN MOULTIS @ 8/23/2018 4:22 PM

What a waste of air, she shouldn't just be fired, I hope she never sees any type of law enforcement or security in her future. in fact any human being not willing to help somebody in law enforcement deal with a resistive suspect as long as they are following the letter of the law and the book as you're supposed to should just go home stay there don't interact with the rest of society and please God don't breed

Jon Retired LEO @ 8/23/2018 4:34 PM

Security Company, Thank You so very much for your prompt action on this disgraceful employee. Thank You to private citizen who intervened to help the officer. Her actions would make me wonder if she could do her job at all after that incident.

John @ 8/23/2018 4:45 PM

Minimum wage, unarmed, untrained female wouldn't likely want to or should be expected to engage in a death battle with resistive suspect. She was likely collecting video evidence for use at trial or phoning for police backup. Where was officer's police backup or partner? Maybe union president should work for two officer cars instead of deprive a non sworn civilian of her livelihood.

Phillip Vender @ 8/23/2018 4:58 PM

The question is whether this was an armed security guard. As an unarmed guard, I have been told by my HR department that if I get into a physical altercation, the school doesn’t have my back. Darned if you do, darned if you don’t. So I’m curious about this guards job description.

CaptMidnight @ 8/23/2018 6:56 PM

TURDS IN DA HOOD. A citizen has a duty to render all aid to an officer whom requests it.
Sadly, this security guard was either improperly trained, or in the alternative, derilect in her duty.

MPDLEO @ 8/24/2018 7:17 AM

I have seen big, old, young, male and female citizens come to the help of law enforcement. You don't need special training, having a human instinct to want to help someone in need should come natural. @john i would assume your NOT a LEO otherwise you would know we don't always have the ability to have two per unit and in allot of places backup is at times 5-10min away. There is a law here that protects citizens from any law suits when helping a LEO so it doesn't matter what your job description says or if your scared of being sued, it also says a person can be charged criminally if they don't help a LEO in need.

Ima Leprechaun @ 8/24/2018 9:38 AM

Texas Law requires anyone requested by a peace officer to assist them in a lawful arrest to comply with that request or be prosecuted by Texas law for failure to assist and officer in a lawful arrest. Failure to assist an Officer requesting help is a criminal offense in Texas. So the loss of her job is the least possible outcome for the Security Officer because the Security Officer can still be prosecuted for failure to aid a requesting officer.

Ima Leprechaun @ 8/24/2018 9:43 AM

Texas law states that any citizen requested to aid a peace officer is required by Texas Law to assist that Officer or face criminal prosecution.
Whenever a peace officer meets with resistance in discharging any duty imposed upon him by law, he shall summon a sufficient number of citizens of his county to overcome the resistance;  and all persons summoned are bound to obey.
Read this complete Texas Code of Criminal Procedure - CRIM P Art. 2.14. [38] [45] [46] May summon aid on

Roberto T Fruitbat @ 8/25/2018 1:59 AM

I half wonder if the officer didn’t mistake the security guard for another officer in the heat of the moment. It was better when HPD wore the Columbia Blue shirts if only because no other agency in the county wore them, so no mistaking someone from another department.
I’ve been a security guard in Texas and we didn’t get training on anything physical. Spent one day in class to be able to pass a test for my license, but that was all book work.

Still, the guard should have at least called for back up for the officer. She should have also gotten out of the way when backup arrived. I’m a 5’ tall woman who would physically been less than useless, but I could have called 911. I could ask what I could do to help, too, and I’d have put my damn phone down.

DEPUTYJJG @ 8/25/2018 12:34 PM

As Ima Leprechaun stated, Texas law requires a person to come to the aid of a Law Enforcement officer if they request it. I have seen small females jump into a fight to assist. As the old saying goes: it's not the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog. Kudos to the security company for dropping that worthless guard. 38 Yr. TX Leo