Autonomous Robots Prevent Crime

Ask The Expert

Stacy Dean Stephens

VP Marketing & Sales

The Law Officer's Pocket Manual - Bloomberg BNA
This handy 4" x 6" spiral-bound manual offers examples showing how rules are...

Video: Charlotte Councilwoman Calls Police "Homegrown Terrorists"

May 17, 2018  |

VIDEO: Charlotte Councilwoman Calls Police "Homegrown Terrorists"

Charlotte City Councilwoman Lawana Mayfield who is known for controversial tweets is under fire for a recently uncovered March tweet in which she described police as "homegrown terrorist wearing blue uniforms."

The tweet was posted in response to the Stephon Clark shooting in Sacramento, WSOC TV reports.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department officers said the tweet from Mayfield was inappropriate, especially as they are asking the City Council for a pay raise and are trying to recruit more officers.

Mayfield has been criticized for social media posts in the past. Last month, she shared an article about a conspiracy theory and questioned whether the 9/11 terrorist attack was a controlled demolition.

On Thursday morning, she tweeted, "I have and continue to be one of the strongest supporters of law enforcement but I will NOT turn a blind eye to corruption, assaults, and the killings of unarmed black & brown people. If you are offended by my comments and not the situation YOU need to re-evaluate."

In response to Mayfield's tweet, the president of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 9 released the following:

Councilwoman Mayfield,

I'm sure you have anticipated a response from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #9 regarding your comments made on March 26th, 2018 stating "Being Black in America under #45 has created homegrown terrorist wearing blue uniforms. #AReckoningIsComing."

I would like to know your intention for distributing that message through social media. What exactly did you intend to gain from such a ridiculous statement? Please, educate me!

Being the President of Charlotte Mecklenburg FOP Lodge #9 and a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Officer for almost twenty-four years I understand that I am held to a higher standard than other citizens. My actions AND words are critically analyzed every single minute of my day. You need to be held to just as high of a standard as I am. You were elected as a City of Charlotte leader.

FOP Lodge #9 has been working tirelessly over the past several months to work with Charlotte City Council to improve the compensation and benefits of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Officers. With the release of this statement by you, it takes away from the focus that we have worked on so hard to bring forward.

To make this incident even more unbearable, I heard about this yesterday while traveling back from Washington, D.C. after participating in the National Peace Officer's Memorial Service. During a time when we focus on Peace Officers who gave their lives for the citizens, community, and Country I am forced to respond to this statement.

Are you seriously labeling all Peace Officers as terrorists? If so, you are also classifying all those Peace Officers, their parents, spouses, children, and relatives as terrorists. To say the least, you have upset the entire law enforcement community on this ridiculous statement. We are a family and when offended, we are all offended.

I would love to discuss this with you further and invite you to one of our membership meetings. We hold meetings on the first Tuesday of each month with the next one being Tuesday June 5th, 2018 at 6:00 pm.

Mark Michalec

President

Charlotte-Mecklenburg FOP Lodge 9

Donn Kraemer @ 5/17/2018 6:14 PM

And I'd wager that 1. the councilwoman won't show up at the FOP meeting, and 2. she will never be held accountable for her comments.

UncleMike @ 5/17/2018 8:00 PM

Being a Police Officer in America today means that they have to put up with brain damaged elected officials, and other thugs, who were given permission, and encouraged, by #44 to degrade, belittle, insult, lie about, and murder those Officers.

Joe Smith @ 5/17/2018 10:59 PM

Hard to be politically correct when a counsel member says something as stupid as this.

Trigger @ 5/18/2018 5:21 AM

We must be mindful that the devil roams amongst us. Idiots like this are to me the devil that is attempting to undermine the profession by their acts and verbal garbage. We must stay strong to show that this type of behavior can and will be overcome. We have been tested since the profession began and will continue to be tested. Keep in mind of who you are and what you represent. Many great officers have shed their blood and lives to protect and keep this Great Country safe including those who wish to undermine us. Many years ago in college an ROTC instructor of mine a Senior NCO who spent his career in SF told us “we must remain vigilant, we must
remain professional, we must remain true to ourselves and to our team and mission. Be the silent professionals, let your work show who you are”. We will overcome.

Anthony @ 5/18/2018 6:41 AM

I just love when these individuals who say they are "supporters of law enforcement" yet make damning and invective remarks about police. Must be a "toggle switch" in their head, "OFF & ON" for love/hate the police.

Walt @ 5/18/2018 6:54 AM

With people like this we will never cross the race bridge. In all my years on the job I realized on the whole Blacks are much more prejudiced than anyone. If anyone is a homegrown terrorist it is Lawana Mayfield who constantly create havoc in this country.

Joe @ 5/18/2018 8:03 AM

UncleMicke,
I will have to agree 100% with your comments. #44 and other irresponsible politicians, are the ones that allowed and promoted open season on officers. Sad thing, They will never be held accountable.

Grey Bear @ 5/18/2018 8:55 AM

Another home-grown clueless fool who has neither the brains nor the backbone to do what we have to do, but seems to think she's entitled to demean us and armchair quarterback situations she knows nothing about. And I too doubt she has the personal honor or courage to show up at an FOP meeting and debate this issue.

Jon Retired LEO @ 5/18/2018 12:03 PM

Unbelieveable! Great comments by all!!!!!

Charles @ 5/20/2018 11:40 PM

I'm so sick of the black whiners and their victim class mentality. It is pure spoiled rotten American idiocy pushed by a ridiculous leftist political agenda.
My heritage is American Indian, Mohawk tribe. You don't hear me or my people bitching about how we were ran off OUR land here in the USA and how we be's owed something. Blacks in the USA are becoming such a disgrace when they act ridiculous like this !!

Charles @ 5/20/2018 11:43 PM

Lawanda is just another prejudiced, racist left wing America hating black woman. We have enough of this trash polluting this country. Lawanda you are free to LEAVE !!