The Law Officer's Pocket Manual - Bloomberg BNA
This handy 4" x 6" spiral-bound manual offers examples showing how rules are...

Video: California Deputies Charged with Beating Suspected Car Thief

May 10, 2016  |

VIDEO: California Deputies Charged with Beating Suspected Car Thief

Two Alameda County (CA) sheriff’s deputies have been charged with multiple felonies after video showed them repeatedly hitting a suspected car thief during an arrest in San Francisco last year, officials said Tuesday.

The alleyway altercation of the suspect, Stanislav Petrov, was caught on surveillance video  and released on YouTube in November by the San Francisco public defender’s office, which said it received the footage from someone who operates a security camera in the area.

The grainy footage shows two Alameda County sheriff’s deputies chasing a man on foot. As the man slows, one officer tackles him and punches him twice. The second officer arrives and starts hitting Petrov with his baton. Soon both officers can be seen hitting Petrov with their batons.

The deputies, Luis Santamaria and Paul Wieber, are 14- and three-year veterans of the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office, respectively, officials said. They are charged with assault under the color of authority, battery with serious bodily injury and assault with a deadly weapon. They’re expected to surrender by Wednesday and be held in lieu of $140,000 bail.

The deputies were placed on leave after the Nov. 12 arrest. A separate, internal investigation into the deputies’ conduct is ongoing, said department spokesman Sgt. Ray Kelly.

Petrov’s hands were broken during the arrest and he suffered cuts to his head and a concussion, officials say.

Lt Roy Smith @ 5/10/2016 4:30 PM

There should be a very large dash board sign in every cop car. YOU ARE BEING VIDEOED WHETHER YOU KNOW IT OR NOT.. Stupid is as stupid does..

Nightstalker @ 5/10/2016 8:28 PM

This is why the public lost faith in us as hot shot cops are out there.

John retired IA PD @ 5/10/2016 10:09 PM

No matter what, LEO's must maintain their professionalism in any situation.

Timboski64 @ 5/11/2016 5:22 AM

I've lost my temper before, Sheriffs Explorer Sgt; with my wife, my kids my neighbor, etc...but I never beat them to a pulp. I have been a police officer for 20 years and I want to tell you emphatically, there is NO room in professional police work for what is portrayed in that video. Those officers will pay dearly for their actions, as well as the municipality for which they work for. So because they "lost their tempers" they will probably also lose their jobs and maybe their freedom.

Popo @ 5/11/2016 6:48 AM

@Timbo...that was not SES who commented. They are using that tag name to hide. Unfortunately they aren't getting the overall response they are looking for so eventually they will change their moniker.

tedb @ 5/11/2016 9:10 AM

Chief800...The one known as "Percy" has been infiltrating this site under other names, most notable SES, for whom he has a strong dislike. Percy has made a game of it in order to bring some excitement into his sad, lonely existence and enjoys getting one past the moderator every once in a while. While the real SES himself speaks from inexperience, his heart is in the right place and I think he'll make a pretty good cop once he gets some salt on him. The editor is aware of Percy's attempts and catches up to him pretty fast when he succeeds in getting one past her, but she can't be monitoring constantly, as she has other duties as well. That explains why you often will find a response posted to a non-existent comment.

Leslie Pfeiffer @ 5/11/2016 6:06 PM

Percy, please email me at [email protected] and I'd be happy to talk to you about me removing your comments when you try to fix my readers errors.