Compression Tactical Bra - Cheata Tactical
Patented technology is designed to provide the stability of 2-3 sports bras,...

Video: Fresno Chief Uses Officers' Body Camera Videos to Defend Controversial Shooting

March 26, 2016  |

VIDEO: Fresno Chief Uses Officers' Body Camera Videos to Defend Controversial Shooting

Body-worn camera footage released Thursday by the Fresno Police Department shows officers shooting 40-year-old Freddy Centeno in September after the man drew a black hose nozzle from his pocket. Centeno, a reportedly mentally disabled man, died nearly a month later, and his family has filed a lawsuit against the Fresno PD and the officers involved.

Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer walked reporters through the video footage, explaining why the shooting of Centeno was justified and defending the actions of his officers.

Dyer said the video shows the officers were more than justified. He says the video shows Centeno reached for a black spray nozzle in his pocket, which looks like a gun.

Dyer also played the 911 call which first alerted police to Centeno in which a woman says he came to her door, pulled a gun and claimed he was a federal agent, ABC 30 reports.

Sheriffs Explorer Sgt. @ 3/26/2016 12:45 PM

These Frsno Police Officers did nothing wrong. Good job, Chief Dyer.

OK then @ 3/26/2016 5:08 PM

What alarms me is that if this foorage wasn't available there would be a cloud of doubt. It is troublimg that we have become so dependent on video to back up stories

kevCopAz @ 3/26/2016 5:21 PM

Agrteed, cops did their job, Chief did his by standing behind them and its scary thinking that without this video and or independent witness testimony these cops would have been suspected of "murder" and probably had to face trial. Strange how the anti-police crowd "demanded video cameras on cops" (to prove that cops are bad) and cops were dead set against the cameras ("trying to set us up") yet it seems LEOs are supported more by the videos then they are proven to be wrong. Ironic.

Leonard @ 3/26/2016 6:50 PM

Yeah...great job. They got to shoot someone holding a water hose nozzle. Spot on police work.

Bob peterson @ 3/26/2016 7:32 PM

What is a shame is that people with Leonard's attitude still get law enforcement protection like good people. I would hope a law enforcement officer would never be hurt or killed protecting Leonard. He has probably not been subjected to life and death, split second situations. When police go towards the problem,you would see Leonard running away. Leonard, you have the right to free speech but if you have never been a police office ,why don't you quit faulting them. Please stop responding on this site. I'm sure there are sites where you would fit in better. Don't use a site that heroes use, you don't deserve to use it. If others think Leonard should quit responding, let him know.

Bob peterson @ 3/26/2016 7:34 PM

Leonard, please go somewhere else. Thank you

Leonar @ 3/27/2016 8:35 AM

@Bob. I won't go away because I want my police to be better. Unlike many officers who pretend to be soldiers, I was one. I know life a death better than anyone of you wannabes. Police want to be soldiers, but lack the honor and discipline to be soldiers. You see, soldiers hold each other accountable while doing the mission. We're even legally obligated to ignore/report unlawful orders. How man police cross the thin blue line. None of use ever referred to the citizens we protected as sheep, even in war time conditions. Cops in this country never face war and the wars the say they are in are political and media fabrications. Much like the fake war on cops. I recognize problems and frankly I don't like what I see happening in our police forces and it needs to change. I'm brave enough to fight the narrative out there and work with my legislators to effect change. Oh believe me, I've ran toward trouble more times than you can imagine. So go back to your couch and each some donuts

Leonard @ 3/27/2016 8:47 AM

Just as a side note, as I was very harsh with Bob. I believe firmly believe that the overwhelming majority of officers and police departments are doing the right thing. I want our police to have all the right training and materials they need to be successful. However, to the minority that is eroding the trust between officer and citizen. Even in my upper middle class community in MD, we look at our officers with an jaded eye because of the history of our county police. Much has changed in last few years for the better, but it wouldn't have if citizens didn't fight and make police and political leaders recognize that things were broken. Working together, our department is better and getting better.

Old Valawdog @ 3/27/2016 10:15 AM

@Leonard- Out of curiosity what branch/unit(s)/MOS/dates of service were. You spew the military talk but what fail to realize or just straight up ignore, is the fact a large majority on here are prior service, and I would venture to say a good many combat veterans at that. About 70% of my dept are veterans and about 25% of those saw combat out of a total of 120 sworn. Are there some that are non-vets? You bet. But seeing some of the things on patrol at my PD wake me up at night just the same as some of the things I saw in the Army. So unless you're doing ride alongs everyday, how can you honestly say what it's like on the street.
BTW I was Army/11B/Cco 1/75 and Bco Triple deuce/5-1997 to 6-2003.

Robert @ 3/27/2016 11:06 AM

Bob...pretty sad commentary.
I guess you and your friends get to decide who are "good people"...
You should be fired on the spot if you cannot impartially serve all citizens equally...both the good people and bad people (as defined in your small little mind).
Of course I would like to believe that your small, closed minded thoughts are the exception...but I guess we will never know.

Sheriffs Explorer Sgt. @ 3/27/2016 11:56 AM

Leonard, you have such retarded opinions. Bob Peterson is right. You don't deserve Police protection, although of course you'll still get it. Leonard, if you believe that the majority of Police Officers are doing the right thing then why do you always say that cops who shoot people are guilty? Think before you answer, please. I am a Sheriffs Explorer Sgt. and I see firsthand all the time people like you. People who give out quite nasty compliments, like, "idiot cops", "stupid sheriffs", "f--- the police", and numerous others that I won't repeat online. These hypocrites act like they hate the Police, yet who do they call in an emergency. The Police. They say that when the Police show up they just make everything worse. The solution: don't bother the Police. Simple.

Sheriffs Explorer Sgt. @ 3/27/2016 12:03 PM

Leonard, the war on Police is not technically a war. But more people are just murdering Police Officers than ever before. The actual number of Police Officers dying each year is down, but it is important to realize that the number of Police Officers being assaulted and killed per year is skyrocketing. People in general act like sheep. They are easily led, very gullible, and don't use common sense.

Sheriffs Explorer Sgt. @ 3/27/2016 12:09 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is the history of your "horrible" PD, leonard?

Reece @ 3/27/2016 3:36 PM

The number of deaths is actually up. In 2013 109 officers were killed and in 2015 it rose up to 123. As of March 27 of this year 27 police officers have died. That's just about an average of 9 Officers a month and that is 9 too many. Departments, not all, need to seriously update their training. Police in riot situations should take a page from the Vikings and the Romans. They're battle techniques with their shields are infamous and should be copied. Watching some of the latest riots and seeing officers walking away from their group, others with no helmets and others with no protective gear at all and just roaming aimlessly. During the latest root in Boston I did not see any teamwork amongst the officers. Not one of them had a gas mask or were even carrying one. They stood there and allowed themselves to be bombarded with bricks when they clearly should have been deploying at least small amounts of tear gas. If there was someone in command in that group I don't think any of them knew who it was. Every three months should be a standard for updated training and not just your typical range requalifications, get creative with it and train for close quarter combat and hand to hand defense and and female officers, speaking from personal experience, remember your elbows and knees and if faced with a fight take it to the ground if you can. Godspeed.

Robert @ 3/28/2016 9:28 AM

Reece..I agree that 9 is too many, but you do realize your 9/month comes out to 108/year...the same as 2013?
I disagree with your training plan...you don't seem to believe that there should be training for de-escalation or dealing with the mentally ill, etc. You seem to believe that the only training needed is how to fight.
IF you truly want to reduce police injuries/deaths, you would understand that the training cannot be reactionary (how to fight, when put in a bad situation)...the training needs to be pro-active (how to not put yourself in a position where fighting or shooting is needed).
Can you pro-actively train for all situations-No...and there is a place for the training you mention...but it should not be the focus.
The Seneca, SC shooting is a classic example of this: AT BEST, The LEO put himself in a position where lethal force was his only option...at worst, it was an unjustified shooting.
The officer should be fired OR the department training officer should be fired.

Pup @ 3/28/2016 11:36 AM

@Leonard; "soldiers, I was one. I know life a death better than anyone of you wannabes". Really? What cold war were you in? I bet you have no idea what it was like in Vietnam, do you. I was and I know life and death better then you. Over 50,000 American lives lost. So, I'm no wannabe. Besides, I've seen the transition of LE and generations for nearly 4 decades and I'm still here fighting to protect the innocent. Please don't come off to be somebody you're not. If you wanted to make a change, you would have joined LE. Life is changing every minute of the day. Lessons are learned from mistakes. LE is no different. If you want change in LE, make change with the bad guys who commit crimes against the innocent, working class people and LE. No crime equals, equals No force.

Sheriffs Explorer Sgt. @ 3/30/2016 9:09 AM

Leonard, GO HANG OUT ON COP BLOCK!!! Its the best site for you. You'll find thousands of idiots just like you. Or is that the problem? There you wouldn't stick out. Here you're about as annoying as a parasite.

Percy @ 4/5/2016 11:23 AM

@ Sheriffs Explorer Sgt.
I love when you try to tell people what to do.
You're so big and strong.