Compression Tactical Bra - Cheata Tactical
Patented technology is designed to provide the stability of 2-3 sports bras,...

Video: Two Baltimore School Officers Charged with Assault for Slapping Incident Captured on Video

March 10, 2016  |

VIDEO: Two Baltimore School Officers Charged with Assault for Slapping Incident Captured on Video

Two Baltimore school police officers have been criminally charged with assault against a student in a confrontation last week that was captured on video.

Officer Anthony Spence, 44, who appears in the video to slap and then kick the youth at the REACH Partnership School in Clifton Park, was charged with second-degree child abuse, second-degree assault and misconduct in office.

Officer Saverna Bias, 53, who stands behind Spence in the video, was charged with second-degree assault and misconduct in office.

A witness told investigators that Bias told Spence, "You need to smack him because he's got too much mouth," police say in charging documents.

Warrants for their arrest were issued Tuesday, and the officers turned themselves in overnight, Baltimore police spokesman T.J. Smith told the Baltimore Sun.

Percy @ 3/10/2016 2:27 PM

As they should be.
Despicable people.

Leonard @ 3/10/2016 3:04 PM

One of the reasons why officers should not be in our schools and perpetuating the school to prison pipeline. Contrary to what senior police leaders say, police are not trained to interact with students in schools

David Watson @ 3/10/2016 3:56 PM

Police are not trained to interact with students; probably not. I haven't met anyone who can "interact" with the current caliber of student. However, when prayer, structure, physical discipline, and the theory of earned self worth/esteem was removed from schools by those who are "trained" to deal with the little children; police were called in. There were no police in schools when standards were enforced, rules had to be obeyed, and troublemakers in the school could be expelled, for good, for the benefit of the school and the good students who were trying to learn. It is amazing that so many can't see that when decency was expelled, and hedonism was brought in to the class room, you ended up with a need for the big bad cop. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the little bastard deserved it, and the officer should get a medal. Get officers out of schools, I agree. But do it to protect them from the idiots who could ruin thier lives and careers; the "trained" ones.

jojo @ 3/10/2016 4:18 PM

That is how the system works, we find out an officer broke the law we charge them and fire them. Police are held accountable and these two should not be police officers.

David Watson @ 3/10/2016 4:41 PM

JoJo; you are right. That's how the system works. This broken system, that doesn't work. Is the school system working? No. Is the government system working? No. Is the societal system working? No. What do you think is going to happen when you run out of people willing to work for the failed system? Who is going to deal with the out of control schools then? I still say "good job" to the officer that made a good solid pimp slap on the little bastard. I thing you should go work in the school "system" JoJo; show us how it's done.

Leonard Mather @ 3/10/2016 5:13 PM

Alice In Wonderland is the mess we have in the scenario above. First, the teachers were operating "in loco parentis." Then that was removed from them and made them vulnerable to reprimand or arrest. In desperation, the Police came on the scene. As a result, they are now able to be charged, as we see. Yes he system is broken. Yes the Police do not belong in situations that the TEACHER should hand, but is deprived by nature of the Alice in Wonderland Broken System. The spoiled rotten youngster(s) are now able to run free, learn the regulations and avoid correction/punishment. This is precisely why Trump is gaining points. We need a "kick ass" methodology WITHOUT getting arrested or chastised for the action. JoJo must have been one of the manipulators when he was a youth. How is it changed? By having a good Principal, PTA, and leadership on kicking ass that needs kicking. And that ain't the Police. The Police are needed on the streets. Spare them those indignities.

LEO @ 3/10/2016 5:36 PM

I was goofing off in class in 1973. Sent to the Principals office. Principal got out his paddle, had me grab my ankles and he gave me one good whack! Yes it left a red mark. I respect him and my teacher to this day, as when I went back to class I stopped clowning around and got busy learning. Police and Teachers are sick and tired of dealing with YOUR problem children due to the fact you don't know how to raise kids. I know I am not offending anyone as those who I am speaking to either know who they are or are busy smoking meth!

Percy @ 3/10/2016 6:09 PM

Wow what a surprise!
As is always the case those on here who are cops blame absolutely everything, except the cop that smacked the kid. I'm sure you would support him just the same if he had shot the kid.

@ David Watson, it sounds like you need to find a new planet to live on. But please allow me to give you a good belt across the head before you go. Students are part of society, if you are saying that no police officer can deal with them then that is the fault of police. Of course you are going to say "the little bastard deserved it" without any evidence cause that is how police work is done today.

@ Leonard Mather says "are now able to run free, learn the regulations and avoid correction/punishment. " Are you sure you aren't talking about the police? Between "feared for my life" & " went for his waistband" I doubt any one of you will ever see jail time for murder.

@jojo If you are a cop thank you. You seem to understand.

@ Leo, Sounds like you are still "grabbing your ankles".

OK then @ 3/11/2016 5:04 AM

Sounds like the Baltimore schools have more problems than some school saftey officer slapping a kid if they need them there in the first place.

Naturally detractors will ignore that and focus on the wrong things.

john @ 3/11/2016 5:10 AM

Hey Percy, you sir, or Ma'am are a moron... The kids in schools today are not the same as the kids of yesteryear. They are taught to be disrespectful to anyone who is not their parent. They spit, throw chairs, urinate on teachers desks, and this is just in Elementary school. And when the parents are called to come get the child, they refuse, and all society does is say "It's not their fault." Officers don't want to be in the schools, but they have to be. If we did go back to running schools the way they used to be, we have a lot less problems. No child left behind is a joke... It's not the school systems or society job to make sure a child isn't left behind, it's their parents. If you don't know how to be a parent then learn. If you cant learn, then give up your rights to your child so that some who does know how can. Then some of these kids might have a chance. But that will never happen, because we have to many genius out there like yourself ...

Sean Ross @ 3/12/2016 5:20 PM

The video looks bad, however I doubt this is the beginning of the recording. I would like to see what happened in the 30 seconds before the cop slapped the shit out of him, but that probably wouldn't help the anti-police narrative that is so popular today. I'm reluctant to jump to conclusions without all of the information so I'll leave that to the cop haters.

Amazed @ 3/13/2016 9:54 AM

Why does everybody quickly forget that these men are part of the human race.
They exercise great discipline until push comes to shove.
This incident would never have happened if the KID had been raised properly by his PARENTS.

the solution is simple. DISCIPLINE.
Parents start disciplining your children. Cops would then not be needed in the schools.

Chief 800 @ 3/14/2016 5:46 AM

You cannot slap anyone because they are being mouthy. We all know that. The charge against the officer that told him to slap the kid may get disciplined for being out of line but a half wit lawyer will get that charge dropped. He voiced an opinion ,right or wrong. CHILD ABUSE?? That one is a redundant charge. He was charged with assault which would be the correct charge. That will be dropped.---Are these kids out of control? Yes. Why else would the school have had 2 officers dealing with the student. I get called to schools all the time. Some kids are off the chart out of control and even the ones that are just misbehaving have no respect for authority. I was called to the school last week for over 20 911 calls. The kids were only 8 yrs old. I explained to them the seriousness of what they did and why they needed to stop. Not one kid was nervous or even apologized. I would have peed myself as an 8 yr old if a cop had to come talk to me at school. Guess that's why I am who I am today.

Robert @ 3/14/2016 8:55 AM

--John and Others: yes today's kids are different...our parents said the same about us...and their parents probably said the same about them. The difference today is that everything is criminalized because school administrators have no backbone to make a decision. How many LEOs on this board drank alcohol under the age of 18 or 21? Today that would be a MIP charge and you might be disqualified from ever being a cop. Think about that for awhile....what would have happened if Zero Tolerance would have been in place when you were a kid.
--Amazed: Way to blame the victim...I guess if a woman wears a short skirt she is just asking for it...and her parents did not raise her right.
--OK Then: Police / SRO are in many schools today.
--Chief...the case should no be dismissed (you are right it was over charged..but so is everything today). He should be found guilty (msdmr), no jail time...he should lose police powers. He has deescalation / control issues.
Other officer fired also.

Chief 800 @ 3/14/2016 1:27 PM

I said the redundant charges will be dropped and the charges that were brought to the officer who only voiced his opinion would be dropped.

Percy @ 3/14/2016 10:17 PM

@ Chief 800
Do you think the charges would be dropped if ANYONE were to slap a cop in that fashion. Actually they might be because anyone else would be so full of lead they would sink.

Chief 800 @ 3/15/2016 5:11 AM

I can assure you that if a person said you should slap that mouthy cop and another man did, you couldn't get charges to stick on the person that voiced his opinion. A few years in our court system and you would know that. Yes a person who slaps a cop will be charged. What I am saying is you wouldn't be able to get "assault on an officer" and Assault from the same incident. Its the same thing. The DA will drop one charge and he would get charged with one. Thus why I said the redundant charge would be dropped. Its also sad that you think every officer that has been assaulted has or will shoot someone. Will they get cleaned off their feet, probably, Shot? no.

DD16 @ 3/18/2016 2:01 PM

Percy, you are always blogging cop hater stuff. How come you never comment on other issues like a recent one where an officer got cut saving others. I challenge you to get with your local police agency and do a ride along, first sign of trouble, I'm sure you will be curled up in a corner sucking your thumb.

plato's playdough @ 3/19/2016 9:17 PM

Dated Mar 18_

Here's the interesting line:
It is time for the media, our elected officials and all law abiding citizens to strongly condemn this violence directed against our protectors and help to restore respect for our laws and the brave individuals sworn to enforce them.