Compression Tactical Bra - Cheata Tactical
Patented technology is designed to provide the stability of 2-3 sports bras,...

Video: Hundreds of Officers Gather in Pittsburgh to Honor Slain K-9

February 05, 2016  |

VIDEO: Hundreds of Officers Gather in Pittsburgh to Honor Slain K-9

Under gray skies and lowered flags, hundreds of law enforcement officers — many flanked by their K-9 partners — gathered in the cold Thursday morning to pay respects to slain Port Authority police dog Aren, reports the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

"It changes your life," said Indiana Township Officer Scott Palmer, who spoke at the memorial, of becoming a K-9 officer. "Not only do you know your dog, your dog knows you."

The estimated 350 law enforcement officers came from as near as their respective Pittsburgh police zone stations and as far as Meadville to pay their respects and support Aren's handler, Port Authority of Allegheny County (PA) Police Department Officer Brian O'Malley. Nearly 150 officers joined a red and blue lights-flashing procession that drove to the memorial just off North Shore Drive.

The procession began on the East Busway. It was near the East Busway in Wilkinsburg that Aren was stabbed to death Sunday while trying to apprehend a suspect. Police shot and killed the man, Bruce Tyrone Kelley Jr.

The deadly incident began about 3:30 p.m. Sunday when two Port Authority officers came across Kelley and his father, Bruce T. Kelley Sr., drinking in a gazebo near Linear Trail. Both men fought with officers before fleeing. The officers called for backup and attempted unsuccessfully to TASER Kelley Jr. before they released Aren. The man pulled out a knife and stabbed the dog in the mouth before two officers, including O'Malley, shot him.

Aren, a 5-year-old German shepherd, came to Pittsburgh from the Czech Republic when he was about 13 months old, according to Port Authority police Chief Matthew Porter.

Dennis @ 2/6/2016 5:34 AM

I guess I don't understand.. I know a dog got killed and that's sad . Seems all the attention is focused on that ? Why ? The Cowboys took a human life ! They shot him with mase and then teaser first ? Mase had no effect. The teaser had no effect because his cloths were too thick ? Why not shoot him in the face with it ? Atleast he would recover and live ? Ok worst case if they had to shoot him which I think is bs . Why wouldn't they shoot him in the leg or shoulder ? Again he would recover and live .. And on another story about the Sargent or captain who beat up the teenager ? What the hell is that about ? He's a kid ... Hand cuff his ass and take him to jail . No need for the cop to beat the teenager up .. Maybe he was picked on in school growing up and just had to show how tuff he is now ? And ofcorse it had to be a kid .. I mean why would he mess with someone who could accommodate him ? He knows why .. He would get his ass handed to him that's why .. Then the police have no idea why most people don't respect them . See it happening more and more everyday.. Always on the news .. Just my 2 cents .. A shame what police can get away with !

J.Johnson @ 2/6/2016 8:16 AM

The dog, man's best friend, lost his life while trying to protect society from the ills and evils of society. The "kid" lost his life trying to attack society and refusing to live within it's rules for a civilized society to exist. As far as being a "human", he was a humanoid, he was a bipedal,( ability to walk on two legs), but he showed his humanity by his actions, which caused his death. He and he alone is responsible for his death. As for Aren, the K9, R.I.P. you have done well and as you leave the bonds of this Earth and journey towards the Rainbow Bridge, know that you will not be forgotten. You will one day be reunited with your partner and shall guard the gates of Heaven. R.I.P. my friend, Rest in Peace.

Dennis @ 2/6/2016 9:03 AM

The "kid" was in another news report . The teenage kid was beat up by a Pittsburgh police officer . He said he felt threatened.. Give me a break .. He had to show a kid his atthority I guess .. That he was a tuff guy and beat up on a kid instead of just handcuffing him and taking him to jail .. I hope that little kid sues and that tuff guy cop losses his job .. He wouldn't dare to piss with someone who could actually accommodate him ..
And about mans best friend .. Terrible the dog died .. Again the guy could have been shot in face with teaser .. Or shot with gun in leg or shoulder like they were thought to do .. That's how my class was tought anyway.. Hopefully the family of the man brings a lawsuit against police department and any cop who shot at that man gets fired !!! Again just my 2 cents

Dennis @ 2/6/2016 9:14 AM

there are a lot of good police officers .. On flip there are a lot of bad too .. What do police expect society to do ? When someone like Samuel hicks I think that was the officers name that got killed for breaking in someone's door to their house down for them doing drugs or something.. The woman shot him when he broke into their house .. Guess what I would have done the same thing ... There are other more safe ways to make arrests without people losing their lives .. But he was going to be the hero breaking into someone's house and look what happened ... I'm not sure if she got charged or not .. I would hope not though.. It was her house not his ...

? @ 2/6/2016 9:30 AM

WTF is a Teaser?

Dennis @ 2/6/2016 9:41 AM

Taser .. Sorry my phone changes spelling sometimes .. WTF about human life better fix my phone to spell words correctly. Unbelievable

DeputyJJG @ 2/6/2016 3:37 PM

Dennis, just be quiet and go away..................yes, just go away. Moron!

Percy @ 2/6/2016 3:41 PM

This is really getting ridiculous, any reason to take a publicly funded day or 2 off. Amazing how man on this very site have called pets owned by the public " just a stupid dog". This happens when taxpayers who pay for your lack of bravery and control. Maybe if you people weren't killing the public's pets seemingly for sport every hour of every day I might feel differently(and I don't think I'm alone).

Dog's should never be forced to work for the likes of you.

Dennis @ 2/6/2016 4:01 PM

Go away deputyjjg?? Moron ? You must be one of those Cowboys that was picked on growing up too .... this is America deputy dip shit and im allowed to have an opinion........ Yes deputy dip shit I'm allowed to have an option.... IDIOT!!!!

Mike @ 2/6/2016 4:11 PM

It should have been handled differently most definitely

Kellie @ 2/6/2016 5:00 PM

This is ridiculous. If the police knew the guy had a knife and didn't know his state of mind why would they put a poor doggie in danger ? hurts my heart to think that doggie was only armed with his teeth. Grow a set and do your own job and let the doggies live. Kellie

? @ 2/6/2016 5:27 PM

Dennis-Spellchecker huh? Well then, given the fact that 30% of the words in your post are spelled incorrectly, you should probably buy a new phone. By the way, I would be willing to bet that, Aren has done more work this year than you have done in the last ten.

Mike @ 2/6/2016 5:39 PM

Dennis did not make any comment's about Aren doing any work. Maybe read his post's again Mr.? And he did make a few good point's in his post's.

? @ 2/6/2016 5:47 PM

Really?

Mike @ 2/6/2016 5:54 PM

Really? That's what you have to say? That's something a teenage girl would say. Grow up Mr.? and don't post unless you have good point's.

Kellie @ 2/6/2016 6:06 PM

Mike, yes Dennis did make comment's about Aren working. He just said about the poor doggie doing the work that the cowardly police officers were being paid to do. The ones that don't agree with what he's saying must be coward's themselves. It could have been handled differently just like he said or get this , the FBI would not be involved now. A doggie died along with a man for no reason! Kellie

Kyle @ 2/6/2016 6:55 PM

Yep Dennis does know rite from
Wrong! He is rite about the cops being Cowboys. I had a few run ins with them . They are bad asses till you bust one in the mouth. Haha then they shoot ya . Take off the gun and get your ass kicked. You know it.

M. Howard @ 2/6/2016 8:08 PM

What's going on here ? Can't a man speak what he believes in ? DeputyJJG who the hell do you think you are telling "Dennis" to just be quiet and go away ? And calling him names . You sound like the moron moron ! Think about it moron . If the Fbi is looking at this incident then don't you think the police may have done wrong moron ? I hate bully's moron . Your the one that need's to be quiet and go away moron !

landofmind1 @ 2/7/2016 2:09 PM

K-9's saves Military lives every minute of the day just as a on duty law enforcement K-9 does. For my family and for a society that needs guarded against the uncertainty i am willing to pay those taxes.

tedb @ 2/8/2016 8:54 AM

"Tuff"? "Rite"? "Mase"? "Teaser"? What has happened to Police Magazine to have allowed the illiterate trolls to take over our magazine? I have been a subscriber since the first issue of PPN in 1976, but the idiots we raised who are incapable of correct spelling and have no idea what law-enforcement is all about have taken over the mag, just as they have taken over our society. AND THEY VOTE! It seems that a new uneducated (or perhaps OVER educated) troll appears on the pages every day. I also note that a lot of the long-time cops who have used this page to communicate with each other have just given up and moved elsewhere, as I am also tempted to do. Although most of you trolls don’t have the slightest idea who Roy Rogers was, he was the only one I know of who could shoot a bad guy in the arm or leg and have him immediately surrender or fall down and go unconscious. And one of the trolls claims he was actually “Thought” (Taught would be correct) to shoot someone in the arm

tedb @ 2/8/2016 8:57 AM

(Continued) or leg to disable them? I’ve been a firearms instructor for 47 years and don’t know of a single instructor who is that stupid. Most of these idiots have gained their expert knowledge of police work from watching too much Hollywood programming.

Jay @ 2/8/2016 9:14 AM

Tedb ur a joke ! But I understand ur one of the ones that's above the law cuz ur one of them lol <<<< u think it's ok to shoot or let me say murder people and it be justified lol ::: it makes me so happy to see that higher authorities are getting involved and giving you gun toting idiots what you deserve fired and sued :) and how's that for spelling jackass lol /// I'd rather not be the best speller then to be a murderer :/ And I will be voting asscrack @":) Vote the Donald !!!!!! He's for sure the man zzzzzzzz

Tedb @ 2/8/2016 10:34 AM

Jay: Damn!!! I can't believe I actually agree with one of you trolls on something! Yes to the Donald. And I am all for letting LEO's just sit back and quit responding to the calls, so you anarchists can have your way for a year or two, and let the public really see what happens when chaos sets in and criminals are allowed to run free through society, such as they do in many other countries. And, in correct English, the word would appear as the contraction "You're". The other word you are so desperately searching for is "Because". "You" is spelled "Y-O-U", not "u". Also, completely ignoring the meaningless and undecipherable symbols you routinely use in your apparent ignorance of the English language, there should be a comma or semi-colon after the word "deserve" and a question mark after the word "jackass". Unfortunately, we of the older generation must get used to the boorish and impulsive ignorant behavior of the millennials that we raised, as it is our due punishment.

Jay @ 2/8/2016 12:12 PM

Tedb: actually there is no question mark after the word jackass cuz that's exactly what u r jackass ; ur just another jackass that don't know rite from wrong ;/:- screw putting people down with a shot to shoulder or leg '&@" put 15 bullets in them cuz they have a knife and has a mental condition/:; oh my god u people are brain dead -/:; hey jackass please point out all the incorrect spelling so it gets the heat off u tards for shooting a lot of innocent good people for a stupid shit ;:/- and it's justified-/:;,. Till you tards have to answer to the FBI ... Did I spell FBI correctly? Look I put a question mark lol -/:;! Screw human life focuse on the spelling jackass -/:;

411 @ 2/8/2016 1:30 PM

News flash : That's what coward's do to avoid the true issue. Try to point the finger at something else like spelling and hope people will look at that instead of cops killing people for anything they want and usually get away with it .Truth hurts don't it?

Dennis @ 2/8/2016 3:27 PM

Wowzers !!!!! Didn't mean to cause a big stink .... I just picked up where mr.? Said about Aren doing more work in just this year then I did in past 10 ???? Ok let's talk about this instead of police killing innocent people ??? Actually mr.? I really don't work that hard ... I own a 72 unit apartment complex that I get paid market rate rent for threw the state for low income folks .. That's over 100k just there .. Then I drive coast to coast once a week that's another 100k there .. And I also own a machine shop ... I have a payroll with 9 employees so that takes a few bucks out of my year end .. But last year I cleared 267k .. Now mr.? How much did Aren make ? Zero !!! The poor pooch lost his life for nothing ... And average police make 60k .. Well I guess they really don't do anything either cuz if there is any type of danger they send a defenseless dog to do their job .. Mr.? Your a real clown !!!!! This is how you spell idiot .... Mr.? !!!!!!! I bet I could cash ur paycheck with the money I keep in the ashtray of my truck !!!!

Robert Hilsman, M.D. @ 2/18/2016 11:43 PM

Administrators please read your own fine print re. rules for comments and re-assume control over the comments section of this blog. Most of the postings above should have been 'removed' and they certainly qualify as 'trolling'. Most have simply left in disgust. Get your act together...!