Compression Tactical Bra - Cheata Tactical
Patented technology is designed to provide the stability of 2-3 sports bras,...

University of Cincinnati to Pay Millions to Family of Man Killed by Campus Officer

January 19, 2016  |

Samuel DuBose (Photo: WLWT screen shot)
Samuel DuBose (Photo: WLWT screen shot)

The family of a man shot and killed by a University of Cincinnati police officer who pulled him over for not having a front license plate has reached a $5.3 million settlement with the school, the family and university announced Monday.

The deal gives the family of Samuel DuBose $4.85 million and promises free undergraduate tuition for his 12 children who range in age from 4 to 23.

The educational component of the settlement is valued at approximately $500,000, WLWT TV reports.

Additionally, UC will erect a memorial to DuBose on campus and UC President Santa Ono will also issue an apology to the family for the loss of DuBose.

DuBose, 43, was shot and killed behind the wheel of his car on July 19 after Officer Ray Tensing stopped him near campus for missing a front license plate which is required by Ohio law. Tensing is charged with murder and voluntary manslaughter. He has pleaded not guilty.

R Castro @ 1/20/2016 5:58 AM

Police Mag, you forgot the part about him trying to flee in a vehicle with the police officer partially inside of it.

Leonard @ 1/20/2016 7:14 AM

It was a bad shoot. One day the boys in blue will learn not to shoot at moving vehicles, especially ones that are moving away from them.

Leonard @ 1/20/2016 7:16 AM

And perhaps one day taxpayers will get tired of their cities making these payouts and force their elected officials to establish rules of engagement and hold their departments accountable for failing to adhere to them.

R Castro @ 1/20/2016 7:34 AM

It's still a mischaracterization - kindof like saying Timothy McVeigh was thrown in jail for the rest of his life because he was stopped for a license plate violation. True, but a mischaracterization. Here, the reader would assume the cop gunned the suspect down for not having a front license plate. I'm not saying the officer was tactically correct for reaching into the car, but just as cops are not supposed to shoot someone just for running away from a traffic ticket, suspects are not supposed to refuse officers orders and try to drive way with the cop half-in, half-out of their vehicle - a fact that the article forgot to mention. Just a mischaracterization of what actually happened is all.

Lt Roy Smith LASD @ 1/20/2016 8:19 AM

I am an old timer type and these payouts were not usually made til someone was found guilty. Maybe years later. This looks like he has been judged guilty by the university and a jury pool, if it gets to that, may think since there has been a payout, officer must be guilty.....12 kids!

KC2622 @ 1/20/2016 2:04 PM

@RCastro Well said, sir (about the mischaracterization).

And Leonard...as far as shooting at a moving vehicle, every agency has a policy on that I'm sure, and officers should follow their dept. policy. However, unless you are facing same or similar circumstances of "the boys (and gals) in blue", I think you should refrain from passing judgment on what YOU think the guys and gals in blue should do in any situation, as THEIR lives are on the line, not yours! It's easy for one to sit there and say they shoulda, coulda, woulda, but until you walk a mile in their shoes you should probably know what you're talking about before you open your mouth and judge them. I've been reading comments from many readers, you included, for quite some time and you seem to know nothing about law enforcement. So why is it you feel compelled to comment as if you think you know what you're talking about when you clearly don't?

[email protected] @ 1/20/2016 3:23 PM

Can we please ban Leonard from posting until he has experienced the Job? Blues, Stay Safe.

Leonard Mather @ 1/20/2016 6:53 PM

I am NOT the same Leonard as the fellow in the above postings. The major error here rests with the University's delivery of settlement money PRIOR to adjudication. Doing so as bad judgment, a bad example and in line with the Three Stooge reasoning used by Baltimore in the Freddy Gray Fiasco.

Leonard @ 1/20/2016 8:09 PM

@KC: That "walk in my shoes" BS doesn't cut it with me and a lot of other Americans. You are the ones supposed to be trained to handle these situations...or is that not true. You're supposed to be the ones trained to know when to fire or not fire a weapon...or is that not true. Are we to expect that an officer will crap his pants when a real life situation occurs and then he will forget his training and start firing blindly when there is no need to? Is that what you and oft her on this site claim when you cry "Until you walk in my shoes...don't judge me? Let me give you an education in life....EVERYONE IS JUDGED EVERY DAY AND THOSE WEARING A BADGE ARENT EXEMPT. It's about time that police actions receive the same scrutiny as everyone else....sucks doesn't it. Video of officers own actions have created the distrust between LE and the public, not media, not politicians. I will continue to judge, because I want our police to be better than they are.

Mike @ 1/21/2016 6:33 AM

Lenard….. LEO are the most judged and scrutinized people on earth. How many other professionals walk around with cameras strapped to their chest and in their cars recording every word and movement throughout the day? Every day an officer walks out the door in uniform he/she is immediately being judged. Everything you do, say, dress, and yes even the look on your face can be judged by a citizen as “too aggressive”. I was once complained on and investigated for simply not smiling and saying hello to a woman I never even saw/heard, but she felt it necessary to file a complaint. Everything that you write and say is scrutinized by citizens, supervisors, departments (yours and others), judges, attorneys, prosecutors, juries, etc…. And God forbid that what you put in a report is slightly different than what you may say 6 months later in a hearing because, you will immediately be accused of “lying” and/or “covering up” the truth.

Mike @ 1/21/2016 6:33 AM

Officers today, are not only under a microscope, but are being crushed by it. They are being so scrutinized that it is almost impossibly to do their job. A good example to think of is a NFL football referee. In the past, their call was the call and that was it. Now, if they make a bad call/mistake, they check the video. If the referee is wrong, they just reverse the call. But in police work, you cannot reverse a call. If that officer makes a bad call or mistakes, because like in football things happen fast, that officer will spend weeks, months even up to a year being investigated by people who are afforded plenty of time to pick apart ever second of the event. And if the event is big enough, the media will destroy the officer simply for good ratings. Furthermore, not only is the officer administratively investigated, but criminally investigated as well.

Mike @ 1/21/2016 6:34 AM

With that said I haven’t even mentioned what an officer must go through just to get a job as a LEO and keep his job as a LEO. So when you say, “everyone is judged every day and those wearing the badge aren’t exempt”, makes me laugh. It also makes me realize you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. However, I don’t think you “need to walk in my shoes” I just think you need an open mind and realize a police officer, although tasked with an enormous responsibility, are simply people too. Can we do better? Absolutely, but posting insults and uneducated opinion on a blog will never help. If you are able to do so, volunteer or simply ride along. See the job from the other side and live in the “Fish Bowl” that officers live in every day.

Clay @ 1/23/2016 9:11 PM

Mike, let's go at this in a different way. I too am tired of this walk in my shoes comment that is used almost every time anyone questions a cop.

Why don't you walk in the shoes of a kid who doesn't have heat in the winter. A kid that will never know who his dad is. A kid that doesn't have lunch money. A kid who has to be a father/mother to his/her little siblings. A kid who sees the best way out of their situation is criminal activity. A kid that sees cops who are quick to shoot, hit, yell, use profanity, threaten and be criminals themselves.

Stop wanting citizens to see things your way and go see life through our lives.

And yes you will be judged. You will be heavily scrutinized on a constant basis. As a citizen it is our duty to scrutinize you, our government and any other person who represents the citizens. Anyone who has that much power can't be allowed to go "unsupervised" by the citizens. Sorry about that, but as technology advances it going to a bigger fish bowl.

mike @ 1/25/2016 6:11 AM

1st off you have no idea who I am or where I came from. So don't assume I haven't walked in those shoes. I have been working since I was 12 to support myself and haven't been unemployed since. Never was given the opportunity to go to college, but worked hard and kept myself out of trouble. I was given the opportunity to become an officer and have been very successful at it. Second, I was addressing Lenard's comment that insinuated that people wearing a badge are EXEMPT for scrutiny. Read it again

Clay @ 1/30/2016 2:49 PM

You are right, I have no idea who you are nor did I try to guess your last name. My comments hold true. I have had it with cops saying "walk in my shoes". You do get a lot of exceptions when it comes to applying the law to a cop vs a citizen. You guys get the benefit of the doubt (sometimes that is okay but sometimes it lets bad cops continue on). But I do predict that your "benefit of the doubt" is eroding away given everything we see in the news.

You guys need to figure out how to handle being scrutinized - it is going to greatly expand from here on out.

I do wish cops would stop saying that walk in my shoes line. It doesn't help your case at all.

Dennis @ 1/31/2016 8:39 AM

The suspect had over 80 arrests and citations in contacts with law enforcement. He had over two pounds of marijuana and $2600 in the trunk of the vehicle with no intention of complying with the officers instructions. The suspect has father 12 children that the taxpayers have had to pay for. Out of the settlement the State of Ohio, Hamilton County, and City of Cincinnati should be reimbursed for all of the entitlement benefit expenditures for the babies mamas and the babies along with all the fines and restitution that was never paid!!!