Autonomous Robots Prevent Crime

Ask The Expert

Stacy Dean Stephens

VP Marketing & Sales

The Law Officer's Pocket Manual - Bloomberg BNA
This handy 4" x 6" spiral-bound manual offers examples showing how rules are...

Baltimore Officer Charged With Attempted Murder, Bail Set At $1M

August 20, 2015  |

Screen capture of Marilyn Mosby at press conference: Baltimore Sun
Screen capture of Marilyn Mosby at press conference: Baltimore Sun

A Baltimore police officer has been charged with attempted murder in the shooting of an unarmed burglary suspect last December, State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby and interim Police Commissioner Kevin Davis announced Wednesday, reports the Baltimore Sun.

The officer, 13-year veteran Wesley Cagle, is accused of shooting Michael Johansen, 46, in the 3000 block of E. Monument St. after he had been shot by two other officers. Cagle was charged with attempted first-degree murder, attempted second-degree murder, first-degree assault and second-degree assault.

District Court Judge Halee F. Weinstein on Thursday cited the "heinous and callous nature" of the allegations in setting Cagle's bail at $1 million. Cagle's defense attorney Chaz Ball argued that Cagle is not a threat to the community or a risk to not appear in court, and instead asked for bail to be set at $150,000.

Leonard Mather @ 8/20/2015 6:35 PM

Defense attorney Chaz Ball's request would make sense in most courts and with most State's Attorneys. However, due to the tempest in the Baltimore Teapot, and the peculiar perceptions of Mosby as well as the aura of her modus operandi, she is ready and willing to fire a Howitzer in order to kill a fly. It is fortunate that the Pillory, the Stocks and Drawing and Quartering are no longer available to her.

Leonard Mather @ 8/20/2015 6:40 PM

Mosby is over-reacting. The One Million Dollar Bail vs Attorney Chaz Ball's recommended bail of 150,000 is indicative of emotionalism being afoot. It may well be contagious due to the Tempestuous elements in Baltimore.

Joe @ 8/20/2015 7:59 PM

Why anyone would want to be a cop in this dump is beyond me. I hope they all quit. Give them the police they deserve--none.

westcoastleo @ 8/20/2015 11:17 PM

I wouldnt trust Mosby's word for anything in anymore cases or attempted prosecutions. She should be fired along with her entire staff.

kevCopAz @ 8/21/2015 7:03 AM

The cop thats charged shot the suspect after 2 other cops did and he is going for att-homicide? Either this is such an open and shut caae, if so why 9 months to prosecute it, or this is another Mosby "look at me rant I so Black" show.

TBOW426 @ 8/21/2015 8:18 AM

So, he has been a cop for 13 years and just decides one day that he will kill someone during his shift. Sounds like there is a whole lot more to this and it is obvious Mosby likes to hear herself talk and I would not trust her to tell me what day of the week it is. If I worked for Baltimore PD I would only respond to calls I was dispatched to and screw any pro-active policing. I would try to find a spot somewhere that I had a 360 view and sit there until my next call.

deputy moose @ 8/21/2015 8:52 AM

That also includes the department of "just us".

Jon Retired LEO @ 8/21/2015 9:14 AM

Another Officer thrown under the bus for political purposes and to please the hands up don't shoot crowd.

bill @ 8/23/2015 12:51 AM

He was a burglary suspect. Is it going to come to the point that the only time an officer can fire his gun is if he's already been shot himself?