Dynamic Plaques - FVT Plaques
FVT Plaques is introducing new dynamic plaques to recognize police and sheriff's...

Legally Defensible Training Records

Ask The Expert

Ari Vidali

CEO and Founder of Envisage Technologies

North Charleston Police Chief Fires Officer for Confederate Flag Photo Found on Facebook

June 26, 2015  |

A North Charleston, S.C., police officer who posted a photo of himself wearing Confederate Flag boxer shorts to Facebook has been fired, reports WCIV.

The photo spread across the Internet on Thursday after the post had been online for a few days.

Police Chief Eddie Driggers issued a termination letter to the officer, saying the photo undermines the officer's "ability to improve trust and instill confidence when working with our citizens."

"Your posting in this manner led to you being publicly identified as a North Charleston Police officer and associated both you and the Department with an image that symbolizes hate and oppression to a significant portion of the citizens we are sworn to serve," Driggers wrote.

The officer has 10 days to appeal the decision.

tbow426 @ 6/26/2015 2:28 PM

I do not see anything police related, patch or anything that would identify him as an officer. Am I missing something? Otherwise, looks like freedom of speech/expression. I see reinstatement with back pay if that is the case.

Bull321 @ 6/26/2015 4:36 PM

If I had abs or lack there of as the case might be I would have not posted that picture on face book. That being said, while in poor taste, I guess that officers long longer have the same rights as the people we protect.

Bull321 @ 6/26/2015 4:37 PM

If I had abs or lack there of as the case might be I would have not posted that picture on face book. That being said, while in poor taste, I guess that officers no longer have the same rights as the people we protect.

Retired Chief @ 6/26/2015 6:24 PM

Obviously our society, including many police leaders, is more concerned with political correctness than upholding the Constitutional rights of citizens including off duty police officers

Chuck @ 6/27/2015 4:59 AM

More Facebook stupidity!
While I think this was completely stupid, it is a disgrace that to put on the badge you must toss your constitutional rights or be fired.

Captain Steve @ 6/27/2015 9:11 AM

I think the chief got caught up in the moment and will eventually have to reinstate this copper with back pay and damages. Since this flag is still a part of state flags all over the south it is hard to single out the cop for wearing it, unless there was some bad verbiage that went with the posting.

Trigger @ 6/27/2015 10:31 AM

I would like to hear the Chief defend his firing of the officer before a jury. I dare say that the ex officer will probably be financially set once the law suit is settled.

kevCopAz @ 6/27/2015 10:49 AM

I think it was a dumb stunt,no taste and not really funny.The Chief has a point that if its well know (on the post etc)that he is a Charlton Cop then the chief has due cause to not having much faith in this officers sense of civility, let alone leadership as a Supervisor. BUT was it on his face book that he was a cop? Did it directly con next him to the department? If not then I think his free speech rights are being violated. When are we LEOS going to realize that what we do is under a micro scope and when will we all realize that these social media should be personal and you should never indicate,advertise or even hint that you are a cop! Not only for these types of reasons, but just plain common sense and safety for you and your family. If most LEOs knew how easy it was to find where they live, where their kids go to school,wife or husband works they would be scared to death. Take the time to ask a cyber crime investigator or take a semiar.The "protection" on these sites are useless

Tone @ 6/29/2015 12:44 AM

As most of you know the confederate flag whether you lift it as a flag or wear it as your boxer shorts historically depicts a part of our history most aren't wanting to remember. Regardless if its politically correct or media inspired, this officer demonstrated untimely insensitivity to what has currently happened in SC. One can most definitely be proud of his/her heritage, but for most people, particularly those of color had to visually look at that same flag as they breathed their last breath to being hung or burned alive. Heritage for some, but fear and possibly a constant reminder death and brutality for others. This officer I'm sure will appeal and he has every right to do so under the law, but what nerve....? Obviously he misrepresented his department with his ignorance. I thank God we live in a society now where that symbol of American History is seen more for what it really meant to those oppressed by it! That same flag hung over slaves head beside burning crosses. Proud huh..?

S.S. @ 6/29/2015 8:39 AM

Dummy!!! Some people have no sense, but he shouldn't of been fired for it!!

cush @ 6/29/2015 9:36 AM

Well said Tone. At some point and time, we as police officers have to pull our heads out of our butts and act as the professionals we claim to be. We all know that when we become police officers whether we like it or not, we not only represent ourselves but the departments we work for and law enforcement as a whole. So start thinking before you act. Having served 38 years and still going, I have earned the right to voice my opinion about law enforcement matters. I am ashamed of this officer for actions that not only hurt the victims of the SC shooting but also all law enforcement.

Trigger @ 6/30/2015 10:20 AM

The political correctness is getting out of hand. Everytime a major event/violent action, etc. happens we put the blame on something instead of the
person who committed the act. While we are at it we should ban the flag of Great Britian as the Great British Empire did cause our ancestors misery and death when they first settled here (Revoluntary War). What about the various Native American flags that we see flying, the original Native Americans did kill,
torture and cause the early settlers major heart ache and grief. Then there is the Mexican flag which appears in the Southern and Western States from those individuals who have legally moved here, but also the illegals who have moved here and have taken away many of our jobs and increased our crime rates. Let us not forget the Irish with their "religious war" in Ireland, how dare the move to the USA and fly their flags. I had relatives on both sides of the Civil War, let's not blame a flag for ignorance.

Atexan57 @ 6/30/2015 1:55 PM

Stupid.. Very mindless.. But what happened to the 1st amendment?

Concerned Dad @ 7/4/2015 8:11 AM

Trigger - when it comes to the Native American flag, we did invade their country. So they were only defending themselves. And...... None of the other flags fly over a State capital (and never will). I think you are a little confused.

The cop made a really stupid decision and the chief did what he had to do.

Tone @ 7/12/2015 11:47 PM

One last thing....Maybe this clown should embarrass himself by taking his shorts down now the confederate flag has come down in South Carolina. What a spectacular thing to watch. After all these years validation and some compensation of respect. Hanging that flag up isn't prideful it was disgraceful. So many have died having that memory in their head as they hung from trees etc. And for those who protested outside as that flag came down, my suggestion is make some shorts out of yours and wear it proudly in your homes. There's no room for that foolishness. People have argued "Its heritage, not Hate!" Yeah but its the heritage of those that hated and murdered others. That flag for many represents so many bad memories. That flag represents a more segregated people than a United people. Hang up the flag that matters..The American Flag!!!!

Bojangles @ 7/20/2015 2:41 PM

I feel so fortunate that I get to retire in a few years. I'll get some of my rights back...like feeling free to make posts about things I am passionate about without fear of reprisal from my department and an overly politically correct society. And I will no longer be held to this ridiculous "higher standard" where I am expected to live above reproach at all times and in all situations while my civilian peers can act like animals with little to no consequence in our (in)justice system. I have seen too many officer careers ruined for minor offenses while those we "serve and protect" run amok with nary a slap on the wrist. For those of you just starting a career in law enforcement...shut your mouth, delete all of your social media profiles, watch your back, and, if you want to limit your liability and exposure to the cop-hating media/society/elected officials, adopt a reactive outlook to police work rather than a proactive outlook. Stay safe.

Tom @ 7/21/2015 4:59 AM

Bojangles: You should retire as soon as you possibly can if you fail to understand the need to be held to a "higher standard."