Dynamic Plaques - FVT Plaques
FVT Plaques is introducing new dynamic plaques to recognize police and sheriff's...

Video: Ferguson Mayor: No Severance Pay for Wilson

December 01, 2014  |

VIDEO: Ferguson Mayor: No Severance Pay for Wilson

Ferguson, Mo., Mayor James Knowles said Sunday that Darren Wilson, who was earning about $45,000 a year, was given no severance when he resigned from the Ferguson Police Department Saturday, effective immediately, reports USA Today. Wilson, 28, had been on paid administrative leave since shooting Michael Brown, 18, following a brief confrontation on a Ferguson street Aug. 9.

A St. Louis County grand jury declined Nov. 24 to indict Wilson on any charges in Brown's death, sparking more protests.

"It is my hope that my resignation will allow the community to heal. I would like to thank all of my supporters and fellow officers throughout this process," Wilson said in his resignation letter.

Daniel @ 12/1/2014 1:45 PM

What is the typical severance package when an officer with less than 20 years resigns? Is it the same as receiving a pension? What would the severance package usually be for an officer resigning?

bob retired leo/ former u @ 12/1/2014 4:29 PM

In places like NY if you dont make your 20/25 half pay...usually your are vested in the pension system after a certain number of years and you own the pension until you hit either age or your time as specified in the contract agreement.

notmeofficer @ 12/1/2014 4:32 PM

It depends upon the department and what was negotiated by their bargaining unit. In our case we get vested after five years.. but if you left service the pay would be very low.. maybe at most a couple of huindred dollars a month.. and that would be fully taxable.. if hs in a social security retirement system he is screwed.. either way he wont be getting much money from his service time.

bob retired leo/ former u @ 12/1/2014 4:33 PM

So the liberal management gave into the rioters and let Wison resign, the same as the US government giving into a terrorist.

Fed LE @ 12/1/2014 5:04 PM

The state AG should retire the whole department. Too many podunk departments out there.

kevCopAz @ 12/1/2014 5:16 PM

Not that FED LF is not correct about some departments, but I have worked with and around Feds over the 32 + years I have been an officer and perhaps he should look at some of the "PO DUNK" Federal "Cops" agencies ranging form Choo-Choo police, to VA cops to Tree Police,Park police, IRS accountants with guns, FDA "farm PD
" etc etc and that doesn't even count the ATF goof balls (Branch Davidion/Fast & Furious etc etc) as well as many individual goofs in ALL Federal agencies,

Sgt. Strange @ 12/1/2014 6:19 PM

There are more local PDs without acceptable training staff or resources than will only lead to more tragedies like Ferguson. Yup. Keep passing out the MRAPs to Mulberry PD.

Tom Ret @ 12/1/2014 6:36 PM

Only in this case, Sgt. Strange, it is more a case of a righteous shooting by an officer doing his job than some training or resource deficiency. The tragedy is
the lie that is being sold by the black race baiters which is swallowed hook, line and sinker by the gullible.

Dan @ 12/1/2014 6:59 PM

@bon retired: so are you saying they should have forced him to stay? Aside from being impossible, you probably would be back here bitching

Dan @ 12/1/2014 7:01 PM

@bon retired: so are you saying they should have forced him to stay? Aside from being impossible to force him to stay, you probably would be back here bitching the liberals forced him to stay as a tool of liberal propaganda. I hope Wilson finds peace in whatever he does next but it would be a danger for him to stay on with the department. Wilson knew it and deep down you do to. I don't mind people blaming Obama or the liberal left but your comment is unreasonable.

SGT JJ @ 12/1/2014 7:48 PM

When an officer takes the oath and signs a contract, there is no such thing as severance pay unless you are forced to leave. In Wilson's case, he may have had a good chance to go out on stress related causes. This is why it is so difficult to get smart, well qualified applicants to be cops. It is dangerous daily, you may end up in jail for doing what you thought was your job, or just forced by common sense as Wilson is, to pack up and move to parts unknown. The mob should have been overcome immediately with what ever force was necessary to restore peace and order, while protecting property. The police and the political weaklings let the mob rule America. Glad to see LA Mayor and the police putting people in jail and prosecuting. Force used to protect is not brutality! Mob violence is brutality!

Concerned Citizen @ 12/1/2014 8:06 PM

I honestly I trust my local LEOs more than I do the AG Holder, and many alphabet agencies like the NSA, CIA and FBI. The Hard Left that hates LEOs so much, what is their better solution? Though they don't come out and say it. They have been using the Hegelian Dialect. There solution to a Non-Existent problem. Is to Let the National Guard and the UN "Police People". Meanwhile the GOP and Dems play "Good Cop, Bad Cop" to their bases. The GOP threw the middle class under the bus with the bailouts and TARP. Then the DEMs got elected and quadrupled the damage with USSR socialism. The TWO party system is full of evil. Both parties put Illegal Aliens and Muslim Radicals ahead of the citizens of the USA. At least in the Regan era, I would have fought with my fellow Americans against a Russian invasion. Now I feel like Uncle Sam is an Uncle Juan and he doesn't really give a **** about you or I...

Capt. Crunch @ 12/1/2014 10:10 PM

I wish Mr. Obama, would resign so the USA can heal.

John Russell @ 12/2/2014 6:46 AM

Wilson if you read this let me help out? First take up donations from people liek us who see what utter sh## THE TRASH now traitors in WASH and throoughout USA are doing and TAKE UP DONATIONS from us....? Look right now you afre being offered all kinds of BS by media for stories and books and trash like that ---it just makes you look worse..do the Intelligent WHITE MAN thing and get donations move to Kentucky or Texas where you could be BIN LADIN and nobody would care ? Live in suburb as COPS there take no sh@@ from Blacks and will kill them 2x as fast trust me I know that area? You get HELP>>>$ You stay out of the spot light like GEORGE ZIMMERMAN should have done and you live good and get some small business started so you do not have to even mix with public like Manager of some PIZZA joint or selling greeting cards in strip mall? You mange it you have nice home and this will all go away in few months?

John Russell @ 12/2/2014 6:46 AM

J, Russell @ 12/2/2014 6:53 AM

Just take up site for DONATIONS now before this fades --look how much ZIMMERMAN made? Say it's for your new life starting out ..NO LAW on Earth youcannot get donations and right now you can use it to get restarted I WOULD and move ---MOVE to TEXAS or ARIZONA you will never get harrassed there and so much going on near the border nobody cares who you are ? GO to Brownsville for few years and then remove 2 or 3 years people will not even care? TAKE UP DONATIONS before it;s too late to get started and buy small business....Money talks and --Well you know the rest ....do not play that BOOK DEAL or MEDIA story deal as guess what --it will be remembered forever if you do that ...? PS oh guess what those 2 states love GUNS and you can carry forever there too for safety ....? Pretty smart uh

Dan @ 12/2/2014 3:07 PM

@russell. Jesus. I'm not one to come down hard on the random misspelling or grammatical error but for the love of god your post is atrocious.

bob retired/let @ 12/2/2014 4:28 PM

Now thanks to people like the rioters in Furgy and the liberals, cops are going to have to wear cams. To me that is like putting a dog leash on a law enforcement officer. Lead him around by the neck and make him do as the minorities and liberals want. I am so glad I was a retro ,decorated officer, because I would never become a cop today. I would've stayed in veterinary school. Good luck to all you law officers out there. I pray for you, big liberal brother is watching.

Dan @ 12/2/2014 9:18 PM

@bob: there you go again unreasonably blaming people. We shouldn't hid from body cams and Wilsons case would have been bolstered had he wore one. There was just an article this week about a white unarmed man shot in Utah and the officer was cleared in part by the video from his cam. Thank you for clarifying you were a decorated officer because on the Internet that means a lot. I was a Medal of Honor winner and I'm pretty sure I have a Nobel sitting around here some where do you should trust what I'm saying. Adding the word liberal to your point does nothing; big brother in general is watching and as a cop you were part of it. What do you think big brother is? I'm an atheist independent. I serve along side republicans, liberals, tea partiers, and various other third party affliations and various religious beliefs. I have little respect for any major politician as most of them are out of touch regardless of their affliation. If you belong to any party today you are no better than the liberal you criticize.

bob leo/retired @ 12/2/2014 9:49 PM

@dan: Would wearing the body cam have stopped the riots? As you said it would have assisted Wilson but not before the riots. Now I see they are reviewing the dead mans father for inciting to riot. I have seen many riots in my career. My first day on the street as a rookie cop, my first day, there was a riot of over 300 people in, I think it was 1975. I was just out of the military and here we were, 4 cops surrounded by 300 people. We stood back to back with batons out because we knew pulling that trigger would incite more violence. Our call for assistance went out and 3 precincts responded to our 1013 call. It took hours to calm the riot which started over a woman. I too ,do not believe in a supreme being and I never saw myself as big brother. I saw my self as a neighborhood cop to protect my city and my community. I loved walking the neighborhood foot post to talk to the people and the merchants. As you say, I dont trust a single politician.

bob leo/retired @ 12/2/2014 10:02 PM

(Cont)... WE fight wars so those on Wall Street can make money and the politicians can sell us out to lobbyists. This country has declined so bad it will fall like Rome did in 476 AD. I became a cop to be part of the solution for my community and that references back to the crime I grew up with as a kid. When OJ was found not guilty did Caucasian people riot? As for blaming people, in all my years many of the riots have been people of color. That is fact, so I am not blaming them, I am citing history. History will not be changed as it is a permanency.

Dan @ 12/4/2014 7:51 AM

@bob. I'm not sure if either of us could say if body cameras would have stopped the further rioting. As in AP article said and countless protests have shown, it didn't matter to some where Browns hands were, they had already made up their minds. However, I do believe in an open government. Something Obama had promised but never followed through with. If the public wants to pay for cameras then fine; I have nothing to hide. I too believe that this country will fall one day. History has shown no power can stay on top forever. As a side note, I live in Denver and some DPD officers were hit by a car yesterday escorting students protesting Ferguson. I've heard from some officers on scene that some students actually applauded when the officers were struck. This is a sad day indeed. I really wish all officers in the country could organize a protest or even a day without policing the street, unfortunately it would generally only hurt the law abiding citizens anyway. I feel like police have a lot of Internet supports but I wish some citizens would march on our behalf. I feel like the patrol officers have lost their voice and we have no rights. I for one am counting down the days before I leave the force. It just isn't worth it.

Dan @ 12/4/2014 8:10 PM

Ima Leprechaun @ 12/6/2014 4:58 AM

The City of Ferguson thru Officer Wilson under the bus every step of the way. He had very little public support from the Agency he worked for or from the city administration even though he followed procedure and did nothing wrong. He was only trying to protect himself from a vicious attack. Hopefully, future officers will avoid that agency.

Ima Leprechaun @ 12/6/2014 4:59 AM

I meant "threw". Sorry about typo.