Compression Tactical Bra - Cheata Tactical
Patented technology is designed to provide the stability of 2-3 sports bras,...

Video: N.M. Deputy Shoots, Kills Fellow Officer During Argument

October 28, 2014  |

VIDEO: N.M. Deputy Shoots Fellow Officer During Argument

A Santa Fe County deputy shot and killed another Santa Fe County deputy at a hotel in Las Cruces, N.M., according to Las Cruces Police spokesperson Danny Trujillo, reports the Albuquerque Journal.

Deputy Jeremy Martin, 29, was pronounced dead at a Las Cruces hospital, while the shooter — identified by his attorney as 27-year-old Tai Chan — was being questioned by police Tuesday morning.

Police say the two deputies were taking a prisoner to Arizona, and were returning through Las Cruces where they rented a room at Hotel Encanto around 4 p.m. Monday. That night they went to Dublin’s Street Pub, a local bar, where police say the two started arguing. "It's believed they consumed alcohol," reads a release from the Las Cruces Police Department. The argument escalated when they returned to their seventh floor hotel room, and that’s when police say the shooter fired several rounds from a semi-automatic gun at Martin, who was trying to escape by running to the elevator.

Officers found Martin bleeding heavily just outside the elevator in the lobby around 12:30 a.m., with gunshots to his back and arms. He was rushed to the Mountain View Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. Martin is survived by his wife and three children.

Police began searching the hotel for the shooter, who was found in a stairwell near the roof of the hotel.

John @ 10/28/2014 5:35 PM

Will there be an over-the-top funeral with several hundred on the clock officers from several states? Bagpipers too?

Long-time Cop @ 10/28/2014 5:38 PM

It's obvious that thiree things mess up cops quicker than anything...whiskey, women, and guns. These guys violated two of the three. Wonder if a woman or women were involved? Such a sad case and a black mark for law enforcement!

Swatguy @ 10/28/2014 5:50 PM

JOHN
one word for you IDIOT nuff said.

Cobra @ 10/28/2014 6:05 PM

@john, haters don't get thousands of mourners at their funeral , but honorable Military , FireFighters and Law Enforcement Officers do. Sorry that your job at McDonalds doesn't give you that kind of respect like that but that's life .

SWATGUY @ 10/28/2014 6:50 PM

I LIKE IT Cobra LOL

kevCopAz @ 10/28/2014 7:13 PM

Sad for whatever reason this happened. Two families destroyed. John, you are an idiot, why the jealousy? Is it since you are a want a be cop who could never make the grade? Its obvious that you are a loser and probably live in your parents basement at a ripe adult age and have nothing to do but criticize those that try and do ,make a difference in life. I notice that you never say anything good about police, that in itself privies you are a negative one sided "idiot". Enough said.

Nightstalker @ 10/28/2014 8:10 PM

John, Before i got into Law-Enforcement i use to be a firefighter and at 911 calls i met punks like you that did not even thank me or my crew for saving there sorry asses so ya john you are a punk ass that hates not only cops but any other person that goes out every day and puts there lives on the line for red diaper doper babies like you and yes i did call you a punk-ass!!!!!!!

mtarte @ 10/28/2014 9:10 PM

John, most cops at a funeral are there own their own time and own dime. I went to far too many and everyone that went volunteered to go on their days off with no enumeration. The vast majority of cops at every funeral, including the out of state cops did so too. The RCMP sent many a honor guard and those constables were here on their own. The ONLY time I can remember that on-duty cops went to a funeral was in 2009 when Oakland CA PD lost 4 officers in one day. Every other county agency and the Alameda County Sheriff's Department took over the day shift so all OPD personnel could attend. All that said, you are nothing but a troll.

John @ 10/28/2014 10:10 PM

Did 8 years Army. Pulled MP duty. Having on the clock paid mourners is something our vets don't get. Have an older brother at Columbarium I at Arlington (3 tours, NAM). Expending man hours for funerals or mass perp searches (Frein in PA) does not ingratiate us to the public, but only shows that we consider ourselves better. It even trickles down to departments "inventing" military-like ribbons. My condolences to the families involved.

TheRookie @ 10/29/2014 12:40 AM

May Deputy J. Martin R.I.P. & his family find some solace in the coming days, weeks, months, & years. Hopefully his department Santa Fe County can find some sanity out of this. Just bad all the way around. If any L.E.O. don't get along with someone a commander wants to partner you up with by all means speak up. Had many of co-workers I didn't like at all. Written & un-written though if you called a "12-99" I didn't care who you were I was rolling & rolling hard.
John, I won't hammer you with the MP Service because I thank all you military members for your unwavering sacrifices. Growing up in the Army on Ft. Lewis I watched MP's do a variety of work. Military Police have a different kind of philosophy than Civilian L.E.O's. My nephew is a Air Force Security Police Sgt. & he knows it's way different, also.

Boston @ 10/29/2014 5:08 AM

@John SwatGuy was being courtesy. Your actually a low life POS who deserves to be in place of this fallen LEO. Find another website, I hear the skin heads calling you.

FedUp2014 @ 10/29/2014 6:11 AM

Everybody calm down. John did 8 years in the Army and pulled M.P. duty. He clearly knows what he's talking about.....said nobody, ever. Those of us who know what this job is all about should just ignore haters like him. A fire without oxygen can't burn. Don't be the oxygen. Peace and stay safe.

Sam @ 10/29/2014 7:14 AM

Well said FedUp2014

JKR @ 10/29/2014 7:17 AM

I have been to numerous law enforcement funerals over the years and I never remember getting paid to attend John...

Lt Dan @ 10/29/2014 7:29 AM

People only kill people that need killing. Makes me wonder what is was that the shooter didn't want the victim to reveal. Strange times we live in. Stay Safe.

Dan @ 10/29/2014 9:23 AM

I've actually attended 4 funerals in my short 7 year history as a cop but I was on the clock (paid) for them. I've also attended a few military funerals while I was serving in the army and was also paid for those too. I don't see what being paid or unpaid has to do with it. The funerals weren't mandatory and I would have rather worked a normal shift then attend a funeral.

Watchus @ 10/29/2014 9:42 AM

Prayers sent to both families. John I spent 12 years as a Air Force Security Police and have been an Police Officer for 15 years now two totaly different worlds.

RTCJ @ 10/29/2014 9:50 AM

fedup2014 finally said it before I could... but I'm going to say it again. Guys and Gals, we want and often talk about keeping this site professional and yet we stoop to the level of John all to often. 4 of the first 8 posts start out John... don't give him(or her) the time of day. we pay our respects and we move on. Stay safe and let's keep the thin blue line clean and crisp

Fed Cop @ 10/29/2014 9:56 AM

Hey, all you officers need to lighten up a bit toward John. He spent 8 years in the Army "and "Pulled MP duty". That qualifies him as a LEO. Wait a minute, "pulled MP duty" that sounds like he had to do a gate once or twice, and maybe as an augmentee, did town patrol.
I guess he probably forgets that most police officers were in the military too, and they get military honors at their funerals as well. But he did MP duty once. Nufsaid

Pup @ 10/29/2014 12:13 PM

@John or is it Lenny? By whatever you go by, why in the heck would you even think about posting a stupid remark as yours? It's an article about a sad incident involving two LEO's. Making an insensitive remark makes you look like a complete idiot. If you're upset being an MP and not being able to become a LEO made you upset, don't take it out on others who can't defend themselves. To the fallen officer, thank you for your services and may u R.I.P.

Doc @ 10/29/2014 2:17 PM

John says he's military and MP but if he really was he'd know that most if not all at a LEO funerals are there on their own time. That we are family and apparently he dose'nt realize that! I doubt his credentals

John @ 10/29/2014 6:42 PM

How did the discussion become about me? I assure you my bono fides are above average. Have we become Liberals? Sadly, most departments now are NOT majority vets. My point was that having a thousand officers at a funeral of a fallen brother (in this case, conduct questionable), who most hardly knew, makes it look to the public that we place ourselves above them. My brother had full caisson with 8 guys at Arlington, not a thousand. If we blow a whole town's or counties budget looking for a perp that shot an officer when we don't do this for a citizen, it doesn't look good. BTW, over half of departments I know of have on the clock funeral pay. Shouldn't have mentioned bagpipers.

MJ @ 11/15/2014 4:52 PM

I just read several of these posts, but had to stop. I have been an "LEO" for 34 years. 12 of those were as an MP. As an MP I worked every kind of case that you REAL LEOS have worked, and more (even in other countries where the bad guys didn't speak English). As an 18 year old "MP" I was already working UC drug cases... How about you REAL cops? Grow up fellas, we are all on the same side. Yes, John attitude and comments were stupid and uncalled for, but don't lump all hard working MPs into that category. Unless you have been there...