Dynamic Plaques - FVT Plaques
FVT Plaques is introducing new dynamic plaques to recognize police and sheriff's...

Legally Defensible Training Records

Ask The Expert

Ari Vidali

CEO and Founder of Envisage Technologies

Video: Philadelphia Police Hold Vigil to Protest Cop Killer's College Speech

October 06, 2014  |

VIDEO: Philadelphia Police Hold Vigil to Protest Cop Killer's College Speech

Philadelphia police held a silent vigil Sunday in protest of convicted police killer Mumia Abu-Jamal's commencement speech at a small Vermont college.

Abu-Jamal, a onetime death row inmate, is serving a life sentence for the 1981 killing of Philadelphia Police Officer Daniel Faulkner.

He spoke by video to 20 students receiving bachelor degrees from Goddard College, from which he earned a degree in prison.

At the time Abu-Jamal spoke, police officers, members of the Fraternal Order of Police, and two cadet classes assembled at Faulkner's memorial plaque at 13th and Locust Streets, where Abu-Jamal murdered Faulkner, Philly.com reports.

They stood at attention for 25 minutes - the approximate duration of Abu-Jamal's speech. About 400 people attended the vigil, including a group of family members of Officer John Pawlowski, who was killed in 2009.

Fox 29 TV reports Goddard college released the following statement:

"Many diverse commencement speakers have been chosen to represent perspectives not normally in our discourse. Even if it is unpopular, we need to listen to and engage in difficult discussions. This is what free speech is all about. Our students understand there is great merit in what Mumia Abu-Jamal has to say. It is important that we at Goddard College support this complicated inquiry and the freedom of speech."

Officer Faulkner's widow Maureen Faulkner also released a statement, condemning the college for choosing what she called "an arrogant remorseless killer as their commencement speaker."

Really? @ 10/6/2014 2:27 PM

I feel it was GROSSLY INSENSITIVE for this college to allow this cold-blooded killer to speak to students. How can they even allow this low life to get a degree while in prison, especially since he is serving a life sentence.

None @ 10/6/2014 2:29 PM

This college assigns no grades and has no tests ! A "college"??????

None @ 10/6/2014 2:29 PM

This college assigns no grades and has no tests ! A "college"??????

SGT JJ @ 10/6/2014 3:16 PM

The college must be short on merit if they believe this convicted killer and misfit to society has something of merit to offer. It may be that this college is in need of some basic education within it's staff. This scrotum gave up his rights to speak publicly when he was convicted of killing. He should be taken off the tax payer tit, and put to death like he was supposed to. Oh yes, he got away with that death sentence because he is black and should have the right to kill cops, someone he has never respected. Put him in pink underwear and a chain around his neck in the middle of death valley!

How much more of this bovine extrimate do we have to take before we start enforcing the laws?

Larry Romero @ 10/6/2014 3:40 PM

God bless the Philadelphia Police Dept. for their actions.

Ron Martinelli @ 10/6/2014 4:10 PM

High praise to the PDP and supporters for silently protesting this disgusting "exercise in First Amendment rights." Shame on so-called Goddard "college" for sanctioning the commencement address. It just shows you what the "college's" and students educational values and life priorities are. A bunch of losers. We'll probably see them marching in Fergunson, MO next.

Chief Billy @ 10/6/2014 4:52 PM

I guess free speech can be anything, but if I were paying tuition for my kid to attend this "college" (20 students?) I would question why they would select a violent, arrogant sociopath to tell lies to him, as the last words he would hear as a student there. PDP showed a lot of class, my hat is off to them.

LEO Comment @ 10/6/2014 5:43 PM

The abuse and misunderstanding of his "Freedom of Speech" right is a gross attempt by the college to achieve any type of media attention. They're trying to garner free publicity and jump on the band wagon claiming they're a liberal, free thinking 'college'. It was in very poor taste and I hope they suffer the backlash with a steep decline in student enrollment. My thoughts and prayers go to the family of Officer Faulkner, and kudos to a very classy and honorable Philadelphia brotherhood. Stay safe.

JB @ 10/6/2014 6:26 PM

The great danger facing our nation is on display in this disgraceful event: liberal institutions excusing their deplorable actions and lack of morality by hiding behind the Constitution, a "document" held in contempt by many liberal institutions. Places like Goddard endorse ridiculous practices that run counter to actual education, instead rewarding insanity and laziness with a degree based in no real academic merit. By inviting a convicted killer to speak to "students", Goddard "college" merely announces in stunning fashion that ethical, moral thinking has no place on their campus.

GATEWAY GUY @ 10/6/2014 6:29 PM

The college "communications manager" Samantha Kolber. 802-322-1724. This is on the Goddard College web site. Tell them how you feel.

Bruce Schwenke @ 10/6/2014 7:40 PM

Attention Goddard College. I respect your freedom of choice. Respecting mine, I will not consider your students for employment. Whether attendants of this commencement ceremony or not.

Oso @ 10/6/2014 7:58 PM

It has more to do with shame than with rights. This country has lost its ability to be ashamed of anything, unless its family values, doing the right thing, and pride in our nation as a super power. Gateway guy, thank you for the number. It was spot on. I left my message, failed to cuss, or threaten, but still made my point, and left my number for a call back. See if that happens.

Capt. Crunch @ 10/6/2014 9:27 PM

The way things are going nowadays I wouldn't put it pass Obama, to give this idiot Holder's job.

TheRookie @ 10/6/2014 10:57 PM

I'm glad Philly P.D. did this as well as the Vermont Police chiefs Association. They were great in how they responded. A Pennsylvania Congressman is going to introduce new legislation to prohibit this from occurring in the future for death row and/or life sentenced scum.
Obama & With-Holder's transformed America. Watched a good talk show formatted interview about how much POTUS & Holder actually dislike Law Enforcement Officers. Even the ones assigned to them. They apparently treat them like dirt, have them do menial tasks like they're their personal servants, & degrade them in front of others when they feel like it. They didn't want to use the term HATE L.E.O's. but that's what it straight up is. Best of Luck Brothers/Sisters in Uniform.

FairnessForAll @ 10/6/2014 11:24 PM

I used to support officers, but you hateful wonders are really making me reconsider what others have been saying. Am I finally seeing the true side of the thin blue line??? Racism and hatred abounds in some of your posts. I've been coming out here standing behind you for several years now. I do note you all Hate our Preisdent. No other president in history has been perfect, and that last joke left this nation in shambles and never did anyone speak so much hate about him. You all want others to respect you for a job you chose to do but refuse to respect others. I'm done with you all now. This is my final visit. Now I'll help spread the message of distrust for LEOS. Screw you punks who hind behind your badges.

LEORocks @ 10/7/2014 3:14 AM

Fairness, who says that these people on here are law enforcements? Maybe they are family of those in blue. Maybe they are just citizens giving their own peace of mind. Clearly you don't stand behind the blue line

Lt Dan @ 10/7/2014 6:45 AM

Makes me wonder what Mike Hardee's position is on this.

steve @ 10/7/2014 8:24 AM

Philadelphia PD did exactly what they should have done. Their "class act" of showing respect to their fallen officer made the "poor excuse for an educational institution" look that much classless!

Capt. Crunch @ 10/7/2014 9:11 AM

@ Fairness, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

Tom Scotto @ 10/7/2014 9:48 AM

Philly PD..."You out classed the classless"
These inmature students should be compelled to visit the National Law Enforments Officer Memorial in Washington DC...perhaps the college professors should join them?

dja2385 @ 10/7/2014 10:41 AM

How do you get a Goddard College graduate off your front porch...............pay him for the pizza!

Mike Taylor @ 10/7/2014 1:45 PM

God Bless the Philadelphia Police Department and the family of Officer Faulkner. Your quiet stand against something so atrocious in this world we live in speaks volumes about your true character. The prisoner who believes he has struck a blow for convicts everywhere will face ultimate judgment where there will be no opportunity for him to give a speech. He will cower on his knees as our God passes judgment upon his life and sends him to his final and eternal resting place.

TheRookie @ 10/7/2014 8:56 PM

Fairness, You're not a cop, never been, & never will be. You sound like someone who has failed some part of the testing process every time you've tried. Therefore you display the type that hates L.E.O's. because you can never be one. I'd almost bet you work in Private Security. SSTFU & stop blaming tenured L.E. for you failings. Go to another site wannabe.

Bobbit/Police Magazine; Do you all think it's prudent to allow non-Law Enforcement on a Police Site? Not with what's going on in todays society. If I didn't have an old time lifetime subscription I'd cancel unless you changed.

Radliff17 @ 10/9/2014 6:33 AM

I see nothing in these comments that are racist. I see cops who are rightfully upset. Kudos to the class act of the PDP.

To add my two cents on a comment, I am not a LEO. I am a Security Officer that is employed by a hospital. My department work very closely with our city police department, county sheriffs department, state, and federal agencies. Most of our officers have military, LEOs, or as in my case, fire/ems/hazmat backgrounds. My point is, I think it needs to be understood that not all "private security" personnel are were they are because they couldn't hack a LEO job. I have a college education and I chose my profession willingly. Lastly, cutting out civilians' ability to see and comment on LEO sights would only further any unwarranted distrust and ill opinion.

Thank you for all you LEOs out there do. I will always support the thin blue line.

Radliff17 @ 10/9/2014 6:35 AM

Dang, I should proof read better. Sorry for all the misspellings. Long night shift

westcoastleo @ 10/10/2014 9:58 AM

I respect Free Speech but he is still in prison. The prison officials should have not let his video go out...