Dynamic Plaques - FVT Plaques
FVT Plaques is introducing new dynamic plaques to recognize police and sheriff's...

Maryland Officers Oppose Local Union's Donation to Darren Wilson's Defense

August 26, 2014  |

A group of African-American police officers in Anne Arundel County said Monday they were "shocked" by their union's donation to a white Missouri police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black teen.

In a letter to the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 70, which represents Anne Arundel's rank-and-file police, the officers blasted the decision to donate to a fund for Officer Darren Wilson of the Ferguson, Mo., police department, the Baltimore Sun reports.

"While we appreciate the support that the union offers to officers in need, there comes a time where leaders must take a step back and look at the totality of their decisions," wrote Cpl. Kam Cooke, a bike patrol officer and acting president of Anne Arundel's Black Police Officers Association.

The FOP sent a $1,070 donation last week to an online fundraising campaign for Wilson, who fatally shot Michael Brown during a confrontation in the St. Louis suburb earlier this month. The shooting sparked days of protests.

Cooke said members of the union were not notified before the donation was made.

Carlos @ 8/26/2014 3:17 PM

I guess these Officers will only back another Officer if he's black. What a shameful decision all based on such a racist action by the black Officers.

FWIW, I used to be an LEO and am a minority myself (Asian immigrant). And I find it disgusting that these so-called Officers are taking a stand based on their race about an incident that happened thousands of miles away.

I guess they have bought off on the race mongers' assessment that non-black Officers are automatically guilty even without the benefit of a trial. I hope these individuals lose their badges and their jobs.

kevCopAz @ 8/26/2014 3:18 PM

Other Police Un ions should remember this slight by these "Afro"bofficers. They side with a criminal automatically before the officer is even given the chance to give his side in court. Shameful. I hope that when they need some help WE all pull a race card and refuse to help those racist (anti white) Afro cops. I bet if the Officer were Black they would have had a fit if the union didn't contribute! GOD what has happened to American Policing.

Scott @ 8/26/2014 3:40 PM

Really? Won't support a brother in uniform, but support a thug? Shows who's true colors are who.

Doc @ 8/26/2014 3:52 PM

This is outrageous!!!! Their playing the race card ahead of the brotherhood between officers! This officer deserves the benefit of a non bias investigation but that will never happen, because of the same reason that these fellow officers refuse to support him. I've been an officer for over 33 years and why anyone in this day and age would want to be an officer is beyond me!

Eddie Pereira @ 8/26/2014 4:30 PM

Really ... why does there exist a "Black Police Officer Association" ... pathetic bunch of cowards hiding behind the badge afraid of the "race mongers" ... it's not a white against black thing ... It's a THUG thing morons !!!!!

Tom Ret @ 8/26/2014 4:33 PM

Those black officers are a disgrace to their uniform. Supporting the thug based solely on race is a testament to the ethics of those officers and apparently they have none.

mdor0914 @ 8/26/2014 4:45 PM

Why don't we start a White Police Officer's Association. Oh, I know why not - because that would be RACIST. Black Police Officer's Association is no less RACIST. We all bleed blue. None of us have the information to make a judgement in Wilson's case, but he deserves a fair and competent defense guilty or not. That's what is great about our system. FOP Lodge #70 made a small contribution to that effort and were right to do so. We all bleed blue!

Terry F Zech @ 8/26/2014 5:25 PM

I am ashamed of those officers I have worked with all races of officers Hispanic black white and have never failed to provide cover for their backs let's wait until I Justice Department does their job. The facts will come out. Good or bad for Officer Wilson. By the way I work for the vet affairs police in Detroit and no matter what we back each other.

Concerned Citizen @ 8/26/2014 5:33 PM

Oh well who cares about MLK? What about "Content of Character" instead of bias based upon the Melatonin in a person's skin? The Black Police Officers Association is the Black KKK. Racism isn't dead, it's just been transformed one ethnic group to another. Once like wide spread KKK influence in the "South". That once was a "white thing" has now become a "black thing". Looks like the BPOA won't be happy until someone is "Lynched" hypocrites! Third times the charm. If Holder and O can't get their way with Darren Wilson. They will seek another Innocent person to HANG! Doesn't matter if Latino like Zimmerman or not. The Media will label it "white racist" etc. And control the Narrative of poor blacks suffer at hands of racists!

Joel @ 8/26/2014 6:30 PM

I'm for starting an all White FOP so when a black officer gets in need of legal assistance we can "Take A Step Back". I thought we all bled Blue no matter the color of our skin guess I was wrong!

DEADMAN @ 8/26/2014 7:05 PM

I never faltered when an officer needed back-up,no matter his race,gender or religion,i guess it's in the water there in that Anne Arundel county,they must drink the same brew as obama and holder.Do i have to check the pedigree of any officer from that county before i help him out,it is a pity,they think in that racist manner,there are laws here.You are judged innocent until proven guilty but not if you're a white officer in Anne Arundel County or is it just this poor excuse for a police officer ,who left that comment,i would hope he is a minority in the minority. Stay Safe Blue,Watch Your Back ,there are those out there that vwould stab you because of your race and the color of your uniform.

blueblood @ 8/26/2014 7:28 PM

Interesting comments here. A NJ Detective on vacation passing through AA County had his vehicle run off the road intentionally during a road rage incident. His wife and children were in the van at the time. The guy who ran him off the road got out of his vehicle and charged at the officer despite the officer identifying himself, displaying his badge and drawing his service weapon. The suspect ignored commands to stay at his vehicle and wait for local police and instead charged the officer and the officer shot and killed him. That was in AA County Jurisdiction. The officer was arrested and charged. FOP 70 did NOTHING to help this officer. Didn't donate to his defense, no public display of support. Nadda. The officer was acquitted of all charges evnetually. What was the difference between him and the officer in Ferguson? Juwt look at their pictures and yoy will hqvw your answer. How do you justify helping one brother in blue but not the other? They aren't angry that the FOP supported a brother in blue. They are angry that the support isn't for EVERY brother in blue. Support for all or support for none. When you pick and choose it looks like certain folks are being excluded.

Harold @ 8/26/2014 7:30 PM

That's where the community that we are sworn to protect gets it from? Sad.

Tom Ret @ 8/26/2014 7:32 PM

Maybe these bozos should be disenfranchised from the FOP for their racist behavior?
They can form their own organization where they give support and are supported by blacks only.

Capt. Crunch @ 8/26/2014 7:42 PM

I bet most of the intelligent African American police officers are pissed at these brotha's dressed as police officers because they make everyone look bad. They say a chain is only as strong has its weakest link and these black moron officers (brotha's & sista's) are the weak ink.

TheRookie @ 8/26/2014 10:24 PM

Sad but true. Saw that happen to Denver P.D. BPOA suing the Police Department for discrimination & other issues. Having their own little group & click. We all do but to a certain point. Then after decades of protocol they hired a Black Chief from the outside. He's a good Chief, but has to play a shat load of politics. One thing about it though we all backed each other up out there.
I've heard of some bad stories about corruption within all of Maryland's L.E. Community. The Baltimore County Corrections & Facility in Baltimore was controlled by the gang members that were inside on murder charges & down. Them L.E.O's. smuggled in anything they wanted including handguns. Female Officers had sex with them, got pregnant, and proudly talked & displayed themselves on social media. So considering the source of Maryland L.E. I'm not stunned. Mad as Hell but not surprised. Next time these shat bags radio an O.N.A. better hope someone turns up.

me @ 8/26/2014 10:52 PM

Another example of someone stupid enough to believe thier own BS. Raceist Prick should'nt have a badge. And yep, I would say it to his face. I not the coward who'd hide behind my complection to win a fight.

830.1PC(Retired) @ 8/27/2014 12:20 AM

I write this with a heavy heart and I want each and everyone of you out there who suit up everyday and go 10-8 to know I pity you. It does not make a difference whether you suit up in Blue or Tan or Green, we are all the same under the vest.

IT should not make a difference the color of our skin, it is what we put on over it that makes us all the same. What is happening to Officer Wilson is not the first time and will definitely not be the last.

I spent 8 days in Los Angeles for the "Rodney Riots" in April of 1992. The first thing LAPD did for each group of Officers was show us the FULL UNEDITED VIDEO OF THE CONFRONTATION. It only took about two minutes for us to realize the Officers Confronting Rodney King should have shot him. The Officers Actions were justified by their agency, the D.A and State.

When it finally looked like the WITCH HUNT WAS OVER, THE FEDS STEPPED IN and the Officers went to prison.

As I said above, I PITY EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU.

Retired Lieutenant @ 8/27/2014 5:30 AM

"In a letter to the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 70"

While I don't agree with their objection, I respect the way they voiced their concerns...in a letter.

I have been a LEO for over 39 years. I have always tried to treat people as I would wish to be treated. These officers are entitled to their opinion. And while we don't have to agree. We certailly do not have to take the position of "white officer" which does totally disgust me.

To the officer that wrote the letter, I only hope that he would consider that we all are innocent until proven guilty. All the facts in this case are just not yet known. Everyone wants justice at the speed of "Twitter".
To all my brothers and sisters out there, regardless of color, race, religion. Be safe out ther.

TERRY F. ZECH VAPD (RET) @ 8/27/2014 6:45 AM

The person that wrote the letter from AnneArundel county if a female bike patrol officer. I hope she retracts this letter and apologizes to all officers of every race for her racial discrimination comments.

AZRider @ 8/27/2014 7:05 AM

Kam Cooke needs to step back and understand "they" are blue first and black second. This is the rhetoric one would expect from Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpless. Not a LEO, unless the black officers have already convicted him too. Disgraceful and racist.

Ed Super @ 8/27/2014 7:18 AM

I guess we shouldn't expect any less when the Attorney General and our Commander in Chief have set such a deplorable example during this incident. What a shame that in this day and age things still boil down to the color of someone's skin.

Greg @ 8/27/2014 8:06 AM

Why again...a black Anne Arundel Officers Association? Racists are racists, no matter what color they are. I'd like to see St. Brown's juvenile record, bet it's not a clean slate. More racist tripe from Obama and Holder (plus the usual other supporters of law enforcement). Keep waiting for Mummia to be brought up.

Pathetic officers already showing their racism by their sole race group.

Doug McFall @ 8/27/2014 10:02 AM

WTF???? "BLACK peace officers association" This makes as much sense as the "United Negro College Fund". I am sure there are plenty of our black brother officers who think this is totally racist! You members of the BLACK peace officers association are the main reason for bias in our country. I suggest you all start acting in the manner you want to be treated. All officers need to be a member of the same police association, and stop the white and black bull shit!

John Underwood @ 8/27/2014 10:21 AM

First of all, I don't believe there should be segregationist groups permitted anywhere, such as a 'Black Police Assn.' or 'Hispanic Chamber of Commerce'., etc. Next, Wilson is entitled to a fair and impartial trial if he's charged. The only way he'll get it is if CNN, ABC, NBC and CBS stop their biased coverage of the situation. Also, all police officers should be willing to lend support to a fellow officer who needs legal aid. It doesn't matter how this issue shakes out, he still is an officer. I'm a 25 year retiree. Be safe out there.... all of you.

NIck @ 8/27/2014 6:12 PM

As a Black Officer in the North Virginia Area....this is just sad!! I am at lost for words!!! I'm so sick of this BLACK AND WHITE CRAP!! Stay safe ALL!!

Johnny Law @ 8/28/2014 7:56 AM

Bunch of Racists pure and simple! No need to defend a brother officer being attacked by a THUG I see why violent crime is so high in Maryland, the officers pick and choose who to arrest based on skin color! Sad bunch indeed.

Richard Hightower @ 8/28/2014 8:34 AM

So it is OK if it is a Black officer but not a White officer -- these people are RASCIST and need to be either fired or carefully reviewed for the rest of their carriers. They have a Race / White-Hate issue, clearly.

bo2234 @ 9/3/2014 3:35 PM

@blueblood,

The donation was made from an FOP Lodge to an FOP member. The NJ detective was not affiliated with the FOP at all.

As far as the NJ detective, I understand that jury found him not guilty, I respect the process, but not the outcome in this one. If you knew all the facts you night say the same.