Texas Bolsters Border Patrol With Own Officers, Equipment

August 07, 2014  |

Along the Rio Grande in Texas, the suspected smugglers trying to slip into the United States have certainly noticed their adversaries on the water: burly commandos in black-and-white boats mounted with .30-caliber machine guns and bulletproof shields. The patches on the officers' camouflage fatigues identify them not as federal Border Patrol agents but as Texas game wardens, reports the New York Times.

A team of them — whose routine duties include investigating fishing tournament cheaters and making arrests for B.U.I., or boating under the influence — patrol the Rio Grande, pulling smuggling suspects from the river and dodging rocks thrown from the Mexican side. Members of the Texas Rangers have also traded in their familiar white cowboy hats for camouflage so they can blend into the brush on covert nighttime operations.

On the border, Texas uses helicopters with infrared technology. It monitors motion-detecting cameras it installed on private ranches. And rather than rely on federal high-altitude surveillance airplanes, Texas bought one of its own, for $7.4 million.

"There can be no national security without border security," said Lucy Nashed, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry. "And while Texas taxpayers should not have to bear the burden of fulfilling the federal government's responsibility to secure the border, we cannot wait for action while our border remains porous and communities are at risk."

Tags: Border Patrol, U.S.-Mexico Border, Texas Rangers, Fish and Game Enforcement, Texas

Jack Betz @ 8/9/2014 10:59 AM

I will miss Rick Perry

TheRookie @ 8/9/2014 8:07 PM

B.P.O.P.A. Union Rep. Mr. Moron responded to a question asking how Border or ICE Agents could stand to work there now. His reply was, They're having a hard time doing so & moral is in the deepest of valleys. They're under staffed, aren't getting new applicants that qualify, their pay & benefits are being cut, & they haven't been allowed to do their job(s) since Reagan was POTUS. He said he don't know many who want to be in L.E. that would want to join the Border Patrol and/or ICE at this time.
Texas Dept. of Public Safety Officers, Texas Rangers, Game Wardens, County Sheriff Deputies, Constables, Municipal Police Officers, National Guard Troops, etc. are the true heroes in this battle to save our Nation. Keep up the good work Texas Law Enforcement Brothers & Sisters. May god be with & protect you always.

Ima Leprechaun @ 8/9/2014 10:36 PM

Truly and American syndrome, shoot first and ask questions later no matter how high the collateral damage. In Texas, the saying "women and children first" has a whole new meaning. What happened to "give us your children, your poor and your wretched refuse?" We did it with 2.5 million invaders from Europe in the early part of the 20th century via Ellis Island etc... and all that without a computer. The European horde too had no one here and could not speak the language and had no money, just the clothes on their backs. I guess if you have brown skin you are not considered a human, you are just a target. Sadly we used to be a great country now we have joined the league of ordinary countries.

TheRookie @ 8/10/2014 3:37 AM

IMA, You listed the main problem we all have with this illegal immigration stuff. ELLIS ISLAND. That was the landing point for all illegal immigrants. Not walking across the southern desert border. They were pictured, printed, questioned, medically examined, & then filled out page after page of entry paperwork. Don't come on here and start spewing your "if you have brown skin not considered a human, you are just a target" rhetoric junior.

bikeguy @ 8/10/2014 11:01 AM

IMA, when have unarmed civilians been shot crossing the border? They haven't. Those guns are for the drug runners (and maybe for for Mexican government helicopters that cross the border and shoot at law enforcement here).

LEONARD MCCARTHY @ 8/10/2014 1:50 PM

ANOTHER RESPONSE TO IMA - I do not know where you live, and really do not care, but I live in Brownsville, Texas and the "Border Wall" is less then a mile from my house. Your reference to "the way we used to do it" is not relevant to "how we need to handle things today".

Since your President and the Federal Government are not doing much to help the situation, I am so glad I moved her from California to Texas seven years ago because this is a State that does 'TAKE CARE OF ITS OWN".

Badmouth the Border Patrol and other law enforcement agency, but until you really know what is happening here, you might want to keep your comments to yourself. Obviously you did not make the best choice in posting your thoughts on this web site.

Oh, and by the way, have a nice day!

Nutz149 @ 8/10/2014 1:52 PM

@ IMA ....... I must admit I love reading your way off the wall idiotic comments, you ignorance brings a smile to my face and a laugh to my day.

Being a "brown skin" who came here via legal means and a LEO gives me much better incite into this issue - I would guess than you, and I agree with Rookie and bikeguy.

We as Americans are not in the "league of ordinary countries" if you have not noticed around the world we are trying to protect the ordinary countries and underprivileged countries ....... (some times at a cost that I don't even agree with.....but that is for a different post). If we where "ordinary" why would illegals from all the world over try to sneak in?

Our LEO's for the most part risk there lives every day to protect the "ordinary" citizens - both good and bad for enemies foreign and domestic.

Keep on your crazy rants you court jester, we all need a good laugh. I suspect when you go totally crazy I might read about you in the paper.

Sky @ 8/11/2014 7:25 AM

You go Governor Perry. Don't Mess with Texas. Great job. All you Perry haters in Texas are gonna miss him. Nuff said.

tedb @ 8/11/2014 8:30 AM

Any chance Perry will run for POTUS again? And yes, I was in the USBP under Reagan and it was a good time for us, especially since it immediately followed Carter, the 2nd worst POTUS ever. (1st until recent times). Bush the 1st started the downhill slide by appointing an old unqualified crony as Commissioner, and now there are total idiots running the show. If more states don't follow Texas' lead soon, there will be irrevocable damage done to this country. And Ima, the difference is that those people immigrated legally, unlike the present invaders who expect us to kiss their butts and change to accommodate them and their inferior culture that has resulted in every latino government failing due to corruption and mismanagement. This is what they are trying to escape, but at the same time change us into. If you want to respect true refugee status, look to the people trapped on the mountain in Iraq. They are TRUE refugees under our laws and should be admitted on a priority basis.

Ima Leprechaun @ 8/11/2014 3:55 PM

Sad but true. The Heritage foundation issued a report (Heritage Foundation is a GOP think tank) that every person coming into the USA via our southern border is a potential democrat and must be stopped at all cost. This is the only reason the GOP and Rick Parry are so P.O.d by the issue. They see every person as a potential political opponent. I see a lot of you are off you medication again I pity people like you, living in a fantasy of self importance over people you view as inferior. If these people were white they would be openly accepted into the USA. There are processioning centers on the border just like Ellis Island but it's easier to just throw them back into the desert because they are poor and have nobody to speak for them and they are a real threat to the GOP.

Ima Leprechaun @ 8/11/2014 4:07 PM

I never said one bad word about any LEO anywhere including Border patrol so don't force words into the issue that I never said. I realize when you are off your medication you imagine all kinds of rhetoric but I have never said anything bad about Border Patrol or Law Enforcement. But I have a severe distrust of armed illegal vigilantes working the border. You better re-read your history book Tedb@ because those people in the late 19th and early 20th century immigrated as illegal immigrants and none applied to enter the USA until they got here, same as the immigrants coming up from the south. I realize this is a racial issue and always has been and I hear all of the bloggers slurs against all people of color and perhaps you crazy bloggers should take a good look in the mirror to see what you truly are.

Ima Leprechaun @ 8/11/2014 4:10 PM

I realize none of you have ever read the US Constitution but the first amendment is the right of free speech and the second allows me to carry a weapon to protect me from nuts like you (actually the 2nd doesn't say anything like that but you think it does). But America is still a semi-free country.

Ima Leprechaun @ 8/11/2014 4:14 PM

Leonard he's your President too, just like President "W" was my President too. It's obvious who you really hate by your rhetoric, end the hate. Why can't we all just get along? Come to America, where we treat you like a King.

Bill @ 9/4/2014 5:33 PM

I live in Houston. This border crisis is not a crisis. It is manufactured by Barack. It is called the Cloward-Piven Theory. Both Prof. Cloward, and Prof. Piven are notable communists. Their theory states, the best way to destabalize a democratic country is through mass immigration. Introduce people in mass numbers, whom have no understanding of a countries values, and that country will be changed.
This happened in California in 1986. California has been weird ever since. (Side note: I grew up in Cali.)
Sometimes you LEO's really inspire me. I love your conservative bent. Other times, you scare the hell out of me with your commitment to the government.
Remember, laws are made by the most corrupt. Be careful what you enforce.