Autonomous Robots Prevent Crime

Ask The Expert

Stacy Dean Stephens

VP Marketing & Sales

The Law Officer's Pocket Manual - Bloomberg BNA
This handy 4" x 6" spiral-bound manual offers examples showing how rules are...

Video: Woman Ticketed for Speeding Writes Thank You Note to Idaho Trooper

July 31, 2014  |

VIDEO: Woman Ticketed for Speeding Writes Thank You Note to Idaho Trooper

Tana Baumler was attending a wedding in Idaho Falls. Like most people on vacation she got a little behind schedule and tried to get to Yellowstone National Park with her husband and two granddaughters.

She was caught by Trooper Mike Nielson going almost 95 mph in a 75 mph zone on Interstate 15, KBOI TV reports.

Baumler was so moved by the trooper's professionalism and kindness, she just had to say thank you. On Wednesday, ISP shared a thank-you note from Tana that she wrote last week.

"He was giving the kids stickers, and little sheriff badges -- he was just really nice to them," said Baumler. "I thought that it was kind of nice just because then the four year old wasn't scared."

EODK9Trainer @ 7/31/2014 1:51 PM

Nice work Tpr Nielson.

Lee @ 8/3/2014 11:20 AM

@Wants out of a ticket.....I think you need to find another profession....No offense....

FTrnr @ 8/4/2014 3:15 AM

"Wants out..." I am sure you didn't get a letter for your courtesy. Perhaps your attitude could be of more use to some other profession....I can't think of one right now, but I am sure there is one. Your comment is embarrassing to those of us who are professionals. (I have 25+ years, so yes I do know.)

Bob @ VA @ 8/4/2014 7:35 AM

Kudos to Trooper Nielson for putting a human face on LE for that family. Professionalism and kindness pays forward.

tedb @ 8/4/2014 7:55 AM

I've had the pleasure of working with ISP troopers in Districts # 4 and 5 before. They are a great bunch of folks and very professional. My congratulations to the trooper and to the District 5 Commander. I made many good friends in ISP during my time as a fed in Idaho. Yes, "Wants out" needs to find another profession, as he's burned out in this one.

PoPo @ 8/4/2014 8:48 AM

Please remove "wants out of ticket" comment. It is extremely unprofessional and is not how most LE want to be portrayed. I could only imagine how difficult he is to supervise with words like that freely flowing. He must be a nightmare to supervisors who constantly have to correct him on the street. I'm not a PC advocate nor am I a prude, but this guy using that derogatory word so freely is disturbing to women, and the men that love them.

Sgt. Mike @ 8/6/2014 10:39 AM

Tpr Nielson, in this moment, one of the rare examples of professional policing in the media. Wish the media would see all the hundreds of encounters like this one around the nation and publish them rather than the worst they can find.