The Law Officer's Pocket Manual - Bloomberg BNA
This handy 4" x 6" spiral-bound manual offers examples showing how rules are...

Man Gets 23 Years for Shooting Trooper's Retired K-9

July 15, 2014  |

Ivins Rosier blamed drugs and alcohol for turning him into a person who, at age 16, would be charged with breaking into a Florida Highway Patrol trooper's home near West Palm Beach and shooting his retired police dog, reports the Sun Sentinel.

But Palm Beach County Circuit Judge Robin Rosenberg declined to treat Rosier as a youthful offender worthy of a light punishment, and sentenced him as an adult to 23 years in state prison.

Deeming Rosier a youthful offender "would not be supported by logic and reason" because of the "serious nature" of the felony charges, Rosenberg said. She noted the "horrific and tragic facts" concerning the shooting of Drake, a 5-year-old German shepherd who had to be euthanized because of his injuries.

Lenny @ 7/15/2014 1:08 PM

Unbelievable!

chuck @ 7/15/2014 5:00 PM

Thanks judge for sending this POS to prison for a long time. I hope you get it up the butt once a day sir. God bless all k9's and their handlers

Morning Eagle @ 7/15/2014 10:47 PM

We sure need more judges like this one that will see through the BS excuses of 'drugs and alcohol made me do it' and sentence accordingly. Hopefully this sentence will survive the inevitable pity party appeals whining about his tender age and being on booze and drugs as if that somehow justified what he did.

Nichole @ 7/16/2014 4:07 AM

I read the full article and fully support this sentence. The kid was a delinquent and a problem. He had a list of other crimes and HAD AN ANKLE BRACELET because he was already on probation... AT 15 YEARS OLD PEOPLE. The kid was a problem and we all know it was only going to escalate from there. Kudos to the judge for laying down the law and showing these little bastards that they can't get a light sentence for the crap they do repeatedly.

KevCopAz @ 7/16/2014 6:20 AM

There you go Lenny, you don't have the full story but since a bad guy is going to prison its somehow "unbelievable". I agree that it sounds excessive at first, but I have no idea if this 16 y/o "kid" is a repeat offender (ROP) with a violent history and I have no idea of the facts surrounding the burglary, etc etc. Why can't you for once let eh folks who know the facts (Judge/Jury) make a decision that a sane person might support? We know the answer, you are a anti-social, liberal, cop and Justice system hating pro criminal fool Lenny.

Lt. Steve @ 7/16/2014 6:35 AM

Lenny, I'm going to invent a time machine, just so I can go back in time and give your father a condom.

Doc @ 7/16/2014 6:43 AM

Unbelievable ............ that a Good Judge put this Violent Criminal away where he belongs. It's too bad that more Judges don't recognize violent criminals for what they are, and release them to Kill. Great Job Judge, I could really get used to more Judges like this one :-)

Larry Thompson @ 7/16/2014 10:00 AM

We could sure use a judge like that in my neck of the woods (and a DA as well). My heart goes out to the trooper. For once, a punishment that fit the crime.

Capt. Crunch @ 7/16/2014 6:31 PM

@ Lt. Steve, that is the best comment I heard all day the only problem is I can't stop laughing.

Don @ 7/19/2014 12:05 PM

That dog contributed more to society than you ever did Lenny.

Greg @ 7/22/2014 4:37 AM

I love his lawyers mewing: "I believe this to be sadistic to do this to a child," Fleischman said. "Completely overboard, and I understand the dog died and they broke into a home with guns, but when you look at the range of punishments available, that's why they call it juvenile."

HUH? Child? He was old enough to have a gun and repeat convictions. Why was this boy out of jail? Here's the thugs photo: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-retired-police-dog-shooting-trial-20140430-002,0,1555232.photo (coulda' been Obama's son).

Sure wish the officer was home, but his K-9 was on duty.

Confused and curious @ 7/29/2014 12:11 PM

This punishment seems fitting I guess. So what about cops that choose to shoot innocent pets we hear about all the time?

Shooting dogs through rolled up car windows. Dogs in their own backyards protecting their families and property?

It is becoming an epidemic among LEO. Is this how your are trained to deal with minor to no threats? Just shoot and nothing will happen to you.