Federal Agent Faces Murder Retrial in Honolulu

July 11, 2014  |

Special Agent Chris Deedy (second from left) appears in court on murder charges last year. His first trial ended in a hung jury. Screenshot via KITV.

Honolulu Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Janice Futa told a new jury Thursday that State Department Special Agent Christopher Deedy was fueled by alcohol and power when he shot Kollin Elderts in the McDonald's in 2011.

It's been about a year since Deedy's first trial ended with a deadlocked jury.

Deedy claims he shot Elderts in self-defense. The agent from Arlington, Va., was in Honolulu providing security for an economic summit but was off-duty during the early morning shooting, KITV News reports.

See Related Story:

Convicted in the Media

Tags: Federal Agents, Officer Prosecuted

Mark @ 7/12/2014 3:34 PM

Federal Agents, the 1811 ones, are NEVER "off-duty." They are required by Federal law to have their badge and gun with them 24/7/365. They are also given a cell phone and Government car so they can be called in at any moment. Finally, they receive extra pay called LEAP because they are never off-duty. I just get annoyed when I read this because it is 100% incorrect and it reads like well since he was off duty he should not have had his gun or been able to defend himself. Wrong on all accounts.

Inocencio Cacho @ 7/12/2014 5:32 PM

By all accounts SA Deedy was drunk. His friends and bars in Waikiki testified that he was drinking. Second, both the defendant and plaintiff was racially motivated. SA Deedy should have took the high road and notified Honolulu Police Department. The police failed to take sobriety test in this murder case. favoritism. I guess Federal Law Enforcement officers can drink and carry a gun even though they are drunk or intoxicated.

Mark @ 7/12/2014 9:58 PM

Inocencio Cacho,

I'm not sure if you are replying to me or not. I just want to clarify, my above post is not specifically about this case. I was more generally speaking about 1811s and the fact that they are considered never off-duty. Obviously, in this case the Agent here was wrong if he was drinking and still had his service weapon on him. He should be in deep shit for that alone.

Your are supposed to have your stuff with you 24/7 but you need to use common sense about when to leave your weapons at home. Sadly, it looks like common sense was lacking all around in this case.

Capt. Crunch @ 7/13/2014 10:46 AM

Mark & Iocencio, I was not there with Deedy, so I will not comment on this case. But let me say just because a person was drinking does not mean he/she are dunk. If you can care for your own safety and the safety of others in California you are not considered drunk. Also if you are off duty and know you should have your firearm to go into a place then you should not go into that place. If a person fells uncomfortable carrying a firearm off duty maybe that person should find other employment.

Mark @ 7/13/2014 3:15 PM

Capt. Crunch,

Obviously you did not read my posts or if you did failed to comprhend them. Again, with this off-duty crap. 1811 Federal Agents are never off duty. I'm not commenting on this case either. Just speaking generally about 1811s because no one ever gets this right.

Capt. Crunch @ 7/13/2014 6:45 PM

Mark,
Tell me then why you and some of your agents as you put it consider carrying a firearm a novelty. The firearm issued to you by the department is to protect yourself and others legally. The firearm is a tool not a play thing. What am I reading wrong here in your comment?

Mark @ 7/14/2014 2:44 AM

Capt. Crunch,

OK, I think I know what you are talking about now. I am going to assume you were never a Fed and don't know many? Most of the Agents I have known over the years are way different personality wise from state and local cops. Most probably could never make it as cops. The Agents I know are highly specialized investigators. They are all about putting complex cases together and getting them prosecuted in Federal court. Most of it is white collar boring stuff. Most of that time involves you in an office going over paperwork. You really don't need your weapon but for a few times a year when you go serve a warrant. So guys get tired of carrying the thing around. The best Agents I have known never wore their firearm and when it came time to serve a warrant they were scrambling to find it. The worst Agents I have known were all caught up in the guns, badges, and power. I am running out of room to type. I will continue my post below...

Mark @ 7/14/2014 2:46 AM

...Continued from above. Some of the worst cops I have known also became a cop because they wanted to carry a gun. My point is, anyone can carry a gun. You should care about the work and getting the job done and bad guys off the street more than the trappings of the office. Also, the whole carrying your service weapon is a complex thing for Agents. On one had you are required by law and your agency to have it all the time. You can be called in at any time. Believe me I was too. I have been called out of movies, dinners, and bed randomly and had to get somewhere 5 minutes ago. On the other hand if you are on your own time, you may not want to carry it and if you are drinking you should not be carrying it. Finally, depending on where you get stationed you may or may not have peace officer status. Again, running out or room. I will continue below...

Mark @ 7/14/2014 2:49 AM

...Continued from above. I worked at an agency where I had the power to investigate and enforce any Federal law and I also had the power to sign and issue my own subpoenas and search without warrant or PC. However, I did not have the power to enforce state law or local ordinances. So if I am out somewhere and a crime happens in front of me what am I supposed to do? I am not allowed to enforce state laws. But I will probably get in trouble for being a LEO and not doing anything. So you are put in a weird position as an Agent sometimes.

I was a cop before I went Federal and it was a lot more clear cut, however, it was dumb. There was on and off-duty that was clear. When off-duty in my state though your badge basically turned into a concealed weapons license and nothing more. You have to follow all the same rules that a regular citizen does. That means there is a whole lot of places you cannot carry. And outside your city limits your had no police powers either. See below

Mark @ 7/14/2014 3:02 AM

Continued from above. Sure as an Agent I have pretty much carried everywhere. Even places where people would be shocked like airplanes, schools, court, military bases, etc. But sometimes I just wanted to leave it at home when I was not actually working.

So as a cop I knew when and where to carry. As a Fed it was you must carry but don't do anything because you cannot enforce state laws. I hope that answers your question. I probably raised more.

Been There @ 7/14/2014 5:31 AM

Mark, The one thing that is 100% wrong is your impression regarding cell phone, car and use. I am a retired SA and the fact you get a car, cell phone and LEAP has ZERO to do with whether you are 100% on-duty or not. Apples and oranges. Availability and duty status are two different things. For example the fact you have a G-ride, which, by the way is NOT universal to every agency and 1811s (which immediately disproves your presumptions and proves you don't know what you are talking about), is not an indicator you are never off duty as an 1811. In fact, fed regs mandate certain conditions under which you must be considered off duty. Furthermore there is NO single federal regulation governing 1811 duty status. 1811 is a position code, not a law, reg etc...Learn your facts instead of spewing stupidity from your pie hole. I agree something went wrong here but your depiction that he is guilty based on his duty status is flat out wrong. Before you say it, no I am not former/retired DS.

Been There @ 7/14/2014 5:53 AM

Lastly Mark, who appointed you as the definitive authority on 1811s? I for one have to really question what agency you are with and the extent of your so-called federal LE background and quals. For example, you mention 1811 Federal Agent in the same term. There is no such position called a "Federal Agent" as it relates to 1811s. That sounds like something used by some obscure agency ("Department of Government Water Works and Manhole Cover Enforcement") with a minimal federal law enforcement role. Based on your terminology alone, you are not FBI, USSS, DEA, ICE, USMS, and damn sure not DS. Otherwise you would know that until recently, DS did not receive LEAP (again poking a hole in your duty argument) for the longest time. LEAP, and 24 hour carry for DS is a relatively recent occurrence. There are plenty of DS agents currently on the job who did not have LEAP or 24 hour carry when they first came on. In fact DS has/use to have a different GS series than 1811 anyway. "Federal Agent"?

Capt. Crunch @ 7/14/2014 8:24 AM

Mark, thanks for your response and Been There thanks for your input. I just want to say that I retired as a patrol sergeant, but during my course of employment that I have been trained by the FBI and also worked with the FBI and ATF and I have a high respect for both departments. If your dept. puts you between a rock and a hard place that's the dept. fault, not yours, but as a employee you should try and correct that problem.

Scotty @ 7/14/2014 9:22 AM

"P.S. I wonder how long this guy was an Agent for? Myself and most Agents I know stopped carrying our guns around once the novelty quickly wore off."

Wow- if that's your attitude you should leave the profession. If you stumble across a scenario in which a citizen's life is at stake and you chose to be unable to respond properly (with your weapon) how would you live with that? What if you and your family are at a mall when an active shooter starts his thing- is it a novelty then? You're not the best person to weigh in on this topic Mark.

hospitalchief @ 7/14/2014 9:50 AM

You guys need to give this issue a "break'!

Mark @ 7/14/2014 11:11 AM

Scotty,

I was having a general conversation with Capt. Crunch. And I guess you didn't read the part about not being able to enforce state law.

Mark @ 7/14/2014 12:58 PM

Been There,

Thanks for your hate filled nasty response. You must be a nice person and pleasure to be around. Obviously, you missed the part where I was trying to GENERALLY speak in BASIC TERMS to someone with limited experience and knowledge on how 1811s work. Of course, I know "Federal Agent" is not a real job title. However, people know more what I mean when I say that versus saying Special Agent, Criminal Investigator, or 1811. Let me guess, you ran around in your career telling everyone you were a Very Special Agent and wondered why you got strange looks? I guess I should have also expected a response like yours. Since there are a ton of different obscure Federal agencies out there with 1811s. I know not all have the same rights and privileges. Sure I know some don't get promoted to 13 (or the equivalent on another pay scale since you are being so technical), or have the same legal powers to issue subpoenas, or have military privileges to shop at the base. Cont below

Mark @ 7/14/2014 12:59 PM

Continued from above. However, this is the first I'm hearing that there are some Agents out there that don't get a G-ride. Also, since when does LEAP, or Law Enforcement AVAILABILTY Pay, not have to do with being available 24/7, being on call all the time, being required to work whenever (no set shift), hence there really is not off-duty in the local police sense? I was speaking about how the job worked at my agency and a few other front line ones that I know worked similarly. If you are an 1811 that only gets promoted to a 12, doesn't get a car, or LEAP, you are getting screwed. Time to leave for an agency where you will get those other things. I admit I don't know everything that goes on at some obscure OIG or the BIA or NOAA. But it sounds like you do and you must be the definitive authority on 1811s. I NEVER claimed to be. Just like I NEVER said this DSS Agent was guilty. Continued below.

Mark @ 7/14/2014 1:00 PM

I always love how people like to claim they can tell someone was never a cop or an Agent based on reading some random Internet comment. This just in bro, I don't have to prove myself to you or anyone. But if it is really bothering you I'll tell you. Quote you "Based on your terminology alone..." then you should have realized who I worked for. I said I could issue subpoenas and search without reason at times. Um, there is pretty much only one 1811 job where you can do that. Oh wait, you know of the obscure USBTFAOIG that can too. Sorry, I missed that one. I started out at the USSS and then went to Customs which then became ICE and is now called HSI. Did I just blow your mind? I guess I proved your comment "100% wrong" about "...you are not FBI, USSS, DEA, ICE, USMS...". Or do you want me to still e-mail you my SF-50? Since we are in a typical LEO pissing match who the F did you work for? Let's see your SF-50.

Mark @ 7/14/2014 1:01 PM

Continued from above. Finally, "Based on your terminology alone..." you should have realized I am legit. 99.9% of the population has no clue what an 1811 is or an SF-50. You must have been a hell of a trained investigator.

Mark @ 7/14/2014 1:42 PM

Been There,

Before you respond to me know this, I never said this DSS Agent was guilty. I think some of your hate for me is based on the misreading and misunderstanding of what I wrote to Capt. Crunch and you think I am against this Agent. If anything, what I said if for this Agent. Except, I did mention that if he was drinking and carrying that is not a good idea. I'm not sure how anyone can disagree with that? That does not mean he is guilty in this case. If anything, it sounds like he got rid of a POS. And the local authorities out there are either out to make a career for themselves or have a problem with Federal law enforcement in their area. Which the latter was the case with the ATF in the USVI. Which I am very familiar with that case. This case reminds me of that one. However, many of the facts are different.

P.S. Anyone know if the AUSA's Office is defending this DSS Agent? I know in the ATF case they did.

Scotty @ 7/14/2014 1:53 PM

Mark- I read it all, but I know that federal agents are allowed to use their weapons to end a threat to innocent life. Is that not why you carry them?

Mark @ 7/14/2014 2:28 PM

Scotty,

When I was an Agent this is what I was told, only intercede if it is a violent felony. And then still don't do anything. I know Been There will probably say that is not what the law says or policy or regulations but that was the practical advice I was given. And this case might be to that point exactly. Here is an Agent interceding something and getting prosecuted for it. Hence the reason why, "and then still don't do anything" that I was told.

Observer @ 7/15/2014 6:20 PM

Mark, please don't tell people you are HSI. You are embarrassing my agency. Since you are legacy Customs, I'm going to assume you are older and still bitter about the merger. Thus, the long comments. I agree with the tough decision when witnessing a crime. This agent put himself in a crappy situation though. I totally can see it. A guy was acting like an asshole, the agent figures he can flash his badge and scare the guy to calm him down. Instead, the guy decides to fight. The agent would have been better off getting his ass beat. The agent made a mistake by carrying that night. I carry while working and hiking in woods. Outside of that, I typically avoid places where I think I might need a gun. Now a days those places are becoming fewer with these crazy mass shooters everywhere.

Mark @ 7/15/2014 8:50 PM

Observer,

Ha! What a weird comment by you. You agree with me but you still take a personal shot and say I'm embarrassing HSI? That makes a lot of sense. The long comments have nothing to do with the merger. How did you get that they did? Did you read them all? Whatever, I could go on and enlighten you since you are obviously a junior Agent but this is not the forum or the topic. Just go talk to a Customs guy in your office. I know he will fill you in.

This board has been talked to death so I don't think I am going to check it or respond anymore.