Video: Chief in Uniform Told to Leave Gun Outside Ikea

July 08, 2014  |

VIDEO: Chief in Uniform Told to Leave Gun Outside Ikea

Takoma Park Police Chief Alan Goldberg said in 35 years in law enforcement he's never had a store tell him that he would have to leave his service weapon in the car or leave — especially when he was in his police uniform. But that's what happened July 4 in the Ikea in College Park, Md., when Goldberg had stopped in with his daughter, reports NBC Washington.

"It isn't the most prudent thing to do to walk around the store in uniform with an empty holster," Goldberg said. "And I am not going to lock my gun in a commercial parking lot, with people watching me put it in there. That's just ludicrous."

Ikea issued a statement saying, "Our weapon policy does not apply to law enforcement officers."

Goldberg, who was so angry at the store's response Friday that he posted about it on Facebook, said Monday that the store's response satisfies him.

Tags: Takoma Park (Md.) PD

Capt. Crunch @ 7/8/2014 2:56 PM

The loss prevention officer who spoke to the chief about leaving or putting his firearm in the car should be fired. It appears he has no common sense and should not be any type of a security officer.

Chuck @ 7/8/2014 2:57 PM

Thanks to all the stupid LIBTARDS and the media. I know where I'm not going. I guess they followed Starbucks and target stores. Your a good man chief keep up the good fight

Ed Polk @ 7/8/2014 3:03 PM

When I heard about Targets Gun policy I called their Main office,after being transfered 3 times someone came on saying their policy was not intended for LEOs

bob retired leo @ 7/8/2014 3:05 PM

Anyone with common sense would never tell a cop, especially in uniform to leave his gun in the car. I guess if the store got ripped off, the employees were going to call the FD for help.

Nick @ 7/8/2014 3:25 PM

So you are OK with them not allowing civilians to carry, as long as YOU can?

Coop @ 7/8/2014 5:31 PM

Nick, with all due respect, that is a different issue. The issue in this situation is about an on-duty law enforcement officer, who would surely be obligated to take enforcement action when presented with a threat, is asked, by a civilian and their commercial employer, to disarm.

Further, who would be charged with enforcing such a stance in this situation? Every part of this situation is illogical and ill conceived.

Richey @ 7/8/2014 5:35 PM

I don't like businesses telling lawfully carrying civilians not to carry either. I try to avoid anti-gun places, with that being said only a nut would expect a uniformed cop to leave his gun in the car. I can understand airports etc. Once had a security guard tell me I couldn't take a pocket knife into a courthouse but I could take my gun! That made sense.

Doc @ 7/8/2014 6:44 PM

Lenny,
You need to confront your anger with law enforcement. Your responses are always negative and insulting. I would respect your opinion more if you would be more flexible with your discussions and not always negative. Law enforcement are always targets for violence and assault, your an excellent example of that, and we need to be armed especially in uniform. He can also perform private errands and are still on duty. I also expect that if an off duty officer was not carrying and he/she need to protect someones life and couldn't you'd go over the edge about it. Think a little about all possible reasons before posting such hatred on here.

KevCopAz @ 7/8/2014 7:12 PM

Lenny as always you are either a moron or just saying things to stir up the pot. In AZ an LAWS concerning carrying of Firearms DO NOT apply to LEOs on or off duty and STATE WIDE not only in your jurisdiction. If its had been me, I would have told the security guard to call the on duty police, or to arrest me and see how much free $ or IKEA merchandise I would get not to sue them and the security guard (who probably is "Lenny" like in anti police thought). Another nice thing to do as Chief is to never allow your officers to respond inside on any call of any non emergency saying that your department would never want to violate store policy and let them handle shoplifters, fights, thefts etc etc until policy changed. Sometimes you have to kill the rule with the rule itself!

Robert Hillsman @ 7/8/2014 8:06 PM

What a ridiculous statement to post just 30 days since the assassination of 2# Las Vegas Metro Police Dept. officers while at a restaurant on a Sunday morning taking their lunch break! "Lenny" you shouldn't even be allowed to post such nonsense on a site dedicated to law enforcement. Dr. Bob H.
( retired LEO now trauma center physician)

Don @ 7/9/2014 3:43 AM

Lenny-I agree with @Doc. Honestly it just seems to me that you like the attention. All of your angry post aren't going to accomplish a thing except make you angrier. Move on Lenny. Post on sites that are more like minded with you. I'm sure that it will make you happier and I'm sure you could find one. I know you believe you are doing the right thing, but really what has it gotten you so far? Unless, typing this hatred against police officer makes you feel more powerful, more righteous and happy. Because I would rather have you typing words than shooting one of us out of this delusional rage that you think all cops are out to kill you.

Rick @ 7/9/2014 4:23 AM

3 Police Officers are being buried this week in Indiana alone. Two were shot and killed and one was involved in an accident while responding to an emergency call. All in uniform all sworn to protect even you Lenny. So the next time you want to vent do it with a little class and dignity and have some respect for the fallen and their families.

Its a humam thing, respect for all.

jwebb714 @ 7/9/2014 4:23 AM

Didn t any of you read Steinbecks "Of Mice and Men?" Did you not get Lenny was a "tard." Why would you argue with an obviously mentally deficient individual?

Toppcopp801 @ 7/9/2014 4:59 AM

Lenny you about as dumb as they come, another idiot who wants to be an LOE but has no balls to walk the line. Go back to sleep and let the big boys protect you.

Johnny Law @ 7/10/2014 7:46 AM

Nick, as a civilian with a CCW permit you are not trained or expected to respond to a deadly force situation, the Chief on the other hand IS! Big Difference!

Ron C. @ 7/10/2014 2:27 PM

It's not just security at retail stores. Returning from a shore excursion last year, a cruise ship security officer told me I couldn't come aboard with one of those small Swiss Army knives (blade about 1.5 inches).

I asked, "Shall I help you confiscate all the forks and steak knives that are going to be used in the dining room among 2000 passengers tonight and for the remainder of the cruise"?

Although probably just following orders, when I said that, I think he realized the idiocy of the policy. I flashed my retired police ID and he let me through telling me to leave it in my room.

Common sense sometimes is "thrown overboard"...pun intended.