LAPD Shaken by 5 Officer Deaths
May 15, 2014
It's hard not to notice the LAPD in mourning. Blue ribbons are tied to trees outside police stations and onto antennas on black-and-white patrol cars.
"We all do think about it,” Sgt. Rose Mejia of LAPD’s Hollywood Station told KPCC. “But it’s kind of one of those things, you can't really obsess about it.”
The recent toll has been high:
- A funeral Wednesday at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels remembers officer Robert Sanchez, the third LAPD officer to die in a car crash this year. Authorities allege Sanchez was killed May 3 when an SUV crashed into his patrol car in Harbor City; police say the SUV was driven by someone trying to help a friend the police were following.
- That same day, 33-year veteran officer George Nagata suffered a heart attack and died while at work.
- On April 5, a driver in Sun Valley crashed into LAPD motorcycle officer Chris Cortijo, killing him, while he was stopped at a red light.
- In March, officer Nicholas Lee died after a heavy-hauling dump truck lost control on a steep street in Beverly Hills and barreled into his police car.
- It’s the same street where off-duty LAPD detective Ernest Allen lost his life Friday in a similar fatal crash.
That's five LAPD officers lost in two months.
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3
Ima Leprechaun @ 5/15/2014 8:35 PM
I pray for all Officers everywhere every day. Way too many of us are being lost to traffic accidents. No matter the cause it still hurts me to lose a brother or sister in blue. Even being retired I still care.
TheRookie @ 5/16/2014 3:40 AM
Puts chills down my spine. Keep up the Great Work L.A.P.D. All you active L.E.O's. are admired more than you know for the tough job you have taken on.
After being retired for awhile I reflect on how I didn't really think about doing the job. Just went and did it. I now think & remember all the crazy dangerous times that I was lucky not to have been taken. Again, Keep up the great work & watch your backs.
Nighttstalker @ 5/16/2014 1:00 PM
My girlfriend is on the L.A.P.D. and she knows herself that any call she goes on or just doing patrol might be her last day but she sees cops playing around also and she cant understand why they do that. GOD BLESS good cops as I HATE bad cops.
Join the Discussion
Other Recent News
Now that the unrest in Ferguson, Mo., apparently has subsided, the bills soon will come...
A group of people caught up in unrest in Ferguson, Mo., after a white officer killed a...
San Bernardino (Calif.) PD Officer Gabriel Garcia remains in critical condition and in a...
A long-time Titus County, Texas, constable has died following a wreck in Mt. Pleasant...
U.S. immigration authorities must revamp their practices to ensure Mexicans accused of...