The Law Officer's Pocket Manual - Bloomberg BNA
This handy 4" x 6" spiral-bound manual offers examples showing how rules are...

Indiana K-9 Handler Suspended After Video Shows Him Striking Dog

May 02, 2014  |

A Hammond (Indiana) Police K-9 officer was placed on administrative leave this week after a YouTube video surfaced of the officer apparently abusing his police dog.

The video posted Wednesday shows an officer using a leash to lift the dog to its hind legs, then striking the dog's middle section with what appears to be another leash, NBC Chicago reports. He then lifts the dog into the air by the leash and the dog is seen swinging around once.

The dog is struck another time before being directed back to the squad car.

In a statement from Hammond Indiana Police, a spokesman said the department received the video and placed the officer on leave pending a full investigation of the incident.

EODK9Trainer @ 5/2/2014 3:24 PM

I've seen this video a few times now and I can find no justification for what this handler is doing to his 4 legged partner. I've been in the LE K9 world for over 29 years and I understand discipline is sometimes necessary. But whatever the infraction was appears to be long over meaning the K9 has no idea why he's being punished. It would be nice to know the whole story but I just can't imagine there can be a justification for this behavior.

Ric @ 5/3/2014 7:40 AM

He's not a true K9 handler. He's a POS that should be charged with animal cruelty and fired from the PD.

observation @ 5/3/2014 7:40 AM

Look at 29 seconds...he's outing the dog off his toy. I'm not saying it's right...there are better methods...but he's not overtly trying to abuse the dog.

Pup @ 5/3/2014 9:31 AM

I agree with OBS. Just like any video against LE, you only get a portion of it. The public may not understand the incident and many just hate cops. Having been a handler for many years and handling two Mals, I can understand K9 handlers frustrations. Good thing the handler only had a sheppard. One last thing, >Ric, grow up.

Grog18b @ 5/3/2014 6:48 PM

I have 4 GSD, Mother, Father, and two boys from her only litter of 7. Sure, sometimes dogs need correction, but beating them with a leash is NOT cool. Not at all. The handler needs to go back for retraining. If this is the way he was taught to correct his dogs, whoever taught him this is very wrong. You do not beat an animal to correct behavior. I love my GSDs like they are part of my family. Just as I would never beat my daughter, I would never beat my GSDs.

If you are a handler, and you see your K9 partner as "just a dog" or the like, get another job. Seriously. GROG

Troop @ 5/4/2014 4:55 PM

It amazes me that some people in the comment section would try to justify the handlers actions. Plain wrong and inexcusable.

Greg @ 5/5/2014 3:58 AM

I saw this in the Army with not-very-good handlers. It's called "parachuting" and wasn't tolerated. This guy needs to lose some pay and belongs on the parking ticket squad.