8-Year-Old Michigan Boy Charged with Assaulting Officer

April 22, 2014  |

An 8-year-old boy faces two felony counts after an altercation with police and allegedly damaging the inside of a police vehicle, according to FOX 17.

Edward Hart, 8, ran away from the Hillside Learning and Behavior Center in Allegan, Michigan on March 19.

Police were called and school staff requested an officer drive Edward to school. When the officer asked the boy’s name, he cursed at the officer and assaulted him, according to the report.

During the altercation, the officer said the boy broke the rear police camera. As a result, he faces malicious destruction of police property and resisting and obstructing.

A staff member at the school said the boy has anger issues and is special needs.

Tags: Assaults on Officers, Allegan (Mich.) PD

Lenny @ 4/22/2014 1:33 PM

You have got to be kidding me.
Well at least they didn't shoot him in what was I'm sure
"a rapidly evolving stressful situation where I feared for my life".......etc etc
However did they finally manage to subdue this felon?
Mace, taser, wait for back up and a beatdown, or did someone else just
grab him by the ear?
Sounds to me that the officer involved has anger issues and special needs.

DEADMAN @ 4/22/2014 4:58 PM

The school should have told officer about kids problems and anger and officer should have had a partner,all juveniles should be handled by two officers as should females,alleviates problems.
Lenny ,above ,doesn't have a clue,would probably lose it,if confromted by serious problem.

Lenny the idiot @ 4/22/2014 5:12 PM

Lol @ Lenny for blaming the cop. Where does the report say ANYTHING about the officer acting out of anger? You're a grade A moron.

Capt. Crunch @ 4/22/2014 11:07 PM

I cannot see charging this child with a felony or other crime. This child was at a special school for anger issues which means he has a mental problem. He needs to be shown love and to be disciplined and know the difference between right and wrong.

TheRookie @ 4/23/2014 12:54 AM

Really, really? Are you fricking kidding me? This is exactly what I talked with my middle son about tonight. I was telling him how stupid and idiotic the new, his age, of L.E. is. In my day there was something called Officer discretion. If you used it wrong or stupidly your colleagues let you know quick. If you couldn't use it to make a decision you didn't last long. An 8 year old kid!!! Makes me happy I'm retired, but want to puke at the same time.

lodall @ 4/23/2014 5:12 AM

To maybe bring a different perspective into the discussion, perhaps it wasn't the responding officer who brought the charges forward, or perhaps the charges were brought forward as a result of discussions between the officer, the parents, and the educators? I'm not familiar with the process in Michigan, but sometimes bringing someone into the criminal justice system is a back door way into the health/mental health care system. Or, maybe in these times of fiscal restraint, bringing the charge forward was the decision of the dep't brass so that restitution for the damaged property could be sought? I don't know. The article lacks details and there may be a myriad of reasons why this was handled the way it was. The mass media generally does not report in a light favorable to Police and I have to wonder why we are so eager to eat our own? Give the responding officer and the dep't the benefit of doubt until we know otherwise: we all usually strive to do the right thing at every call.

spydrwmn @ 4/23/2014 5:45 AM

And they are going to prove a culpable mental state in an 8 year old child, how??

TNM @ 4/23/2014 8:04 AM

Wow...Felony counts on an eight year old? The police driving students to school??? Really???

Didn't realize that was in the job description.

Agree with Lodall @ 4/23/2014 8:11 AM

I totally agree with lodall, it's rare we can make an informed opinion from a news article. We contemplate charges for the very reason of getting the offender the proper help they need. It can't be done by simply sending a bill to the parents for the damages. We all know an 8 year old (especially special needs) doesn't have the capacity to distinguish right from wrong. But why should the department ignore what happened because he was "only" 8 years old. Unless you were in involved in the decision making process for this case, we are all just as uninformed. But clearly Lenny is baiting us, so don't let him get under your skin. Maybe he has the mental capacity of an 8 year old.

eodk9trainer @ 4/24/2014 2:51 AM

I am stunned at some of the comments from some fellow LE members here regarding the charges brought on this kid. Comments made by the fool Lenny are to be expected but not from LEO's. None of us were there and none of us know the entire story.

Jelly @ 4/24/2014 4:03 AM

Lodall......Excellent post. You are exactly correct and I agree.

perris115 @ 4/24/2014 6:57 AM

How can anyone charge an 8 year old?Taking away the fact he is special needs, an 8 year old is incapable of understanding the consequences of his actions even though he might know what he did is wrong. Sounds to me like some people need to check their current statutory and case law.

Ima Leprechaun @ 4/26/2014 6:42 AM

I have seen some dangerously violent 8 year old's. Some Midwestern states require that anyone including juveniles that use any force to resist arrest must be charged with resisting arrest. The boys own father described his son as having violent behavior disorders and he was prone to sudden "out bursts" of extreme anger. This was not the first time this child had acted out with violence either and the school he was attending was for children with behavioral disorders that could not attend regular classes. The boy was caught by teachers at a gas station about a block from the school after he had fled the school while in an out of control rage. The teachers requested the boy be taken back to the school in the Police car due to his uncontrolled rage and their fear of injury. I would say these charges are appropriate and warranted. If you follow the link on the story you will get the entire story of the events of that day.

CPD TN Officer @ 4/27/2014 8:24 AM

Proper charge for a future problem. Juveniles are much more informed and exposed to things these days then ever before. This isn't a situation where I feel his age negates the actions and understanding of them. If he has any chance of improvement there must be consequence before he is 17 with rage and knows little of legal consequence.

john @ 7/9/2014 9:31 PM

oh I forgot the kid should be going to prison and throw away the key