Video: Phoenix Man Shot and Killed After Using Taser on Off-Duty Officer

April 14, 2014  |

VIDEO: Phoenix Man Shot and Killed After Using Taser on Off Duty Officer

A Phoenix man was shot and killed Friday night after he used a stun gun on an off-duty police officer. Jefferson Duncan, 32, died at the hospital, said Sgt. Tommy Thompson, a Phoenix Police Department spokesman.

Two off-duty Phoenix police officers were working as uniformed security guards at an apartment complex, where they contacted Duncan for suspicious behavior. Duncan fled on foot and one of the officers chased him. Thompson said the officer caught Duncan and the men began fighting.

Duncan eventually gave up, Thompson said, and agreed to be taken into custody. But Duncan somehow got the officer's Taser from his belt and used it on the officer.

AZCentral is reporting that when the officer recovered, Duncan aimed the Taser at the officer's head and threatened to stun him again if the officer did not release him, Thompson said, adding that the officer pulled his firearm and shot "numerous rounds" at Duncan.

Tags: Phoenix PD, TASER, Gun Grabs, Officer Involved Shootings

westcoastleo @ 4/14/2014 5:01 PM

Sounds like Duncan made his own decision to end his life.

Leonard Mather @ 4/14/2014 5:10 PM

This is a superb example of Survival of the Fittest AND the Perp now qualifies for the Darwin Award in that he removed himself from the gene pool by his own demented reasoning leading to the disturbed behavior.

Dr. Paul Lilly @ 4/14/2014 5:35 PM

Excellent response from the officer. He never gave up the fight and used every tool that he had including his firearm. I feel certain that he was shooting to back the man off from tasing him a second time, but as we all know even when we just to simply stop the aggression causing us to fear for our safety or our very lives, the suspect often comes out on the loosing side. I hope the officer recovers soon. Well done my brother; way to stay in the fight before the suspect could harm someone else.

MJ93 @ 4/14/2014 8:46 PM

Well done my brother... Justified*

Kops Korner @ 4/14/2014 9:55 PM

What apartment complexes hire security guards from what security company that allow its security officers to be armed with both firearms and tasers and to use deadly force against a non lethal weapon as a taser? Not sure how much LE proticol applies when an officer is off duty and working under the capacity of another employer. Obviously, Duncan was unaware that the security guard was both armed and an off duty LEO! I'm sure no more recovery is needed than when a citizen is tased, but I pray both officers are well and I pray for the Duncan Family who through no fault of theirs will be grieving over the lost of a loved one.

Daniel @ 4/14/2014 11:02 PM

@Kops Korner. I'm sure given the circumstances the off duty LEO would have identified himself as a police officer. Also have you ever been tasered?? It is not very pleasant and considering the officer was in possession of a firearm whilst being incapacitated by a taser, the situation could have been fatal for the officer if Duncan went for his firearm or carried out his threat to taser him in the head.

Louie Enrique @ 4/14/2014 11:42 PM

To protect and serve...TWO to the body, ONE to the head. Dont f... with the good guys! Excellent officer counteraction! God bless my fellow LE.

Joe @ 4/15/2014 12:11 AM

@Kops Korner. More than likely, the two officers were on an off duty detail and not just moonlighting for a security company. That being said, they both would have been in their regular duty uniform. So there wouldn't be any question as to whether they were police or guards.

taccop82 @ 4/15/2014 6:40 AM

@Kops Korner. A Taser is considered "less-lethal", not non-lethal.

Capt. Crunch @ 4/15/2014 10:37 AM

One less Adam Henry in the world, good job LEO.

Capt. Crunch @ 4/15/2014 10:37 AM

One less Adam Henry in the world, good job LEO.

Johnny Law @ 4/15/2014 10:49 AM

Kops Korner, Deadly force is deadly force wether on or off-duty. When a Taser is taken from an officer it is a deadly force situation. The Taser will incapacitate the officer and then his sidearm will be taken and possibly used against him or an innocent citizen. Many of our officers work off-duty details to earn extra money, in uniform and in our patrol vehicle. The Office determines which details are allowed.

TBOW426 @ 4/15/2014 1:54 PM

In my state deadly force can be used to prevent serious physical injury. Two Taser probes to the face could blind me for life. I consider that serious physical injury and I will respond with deadly force which this officer did. GOOD JOB!

Kops Korner @ 4/15/2014 11:38 PM

Thanks for so many responses to my response...Thanks Johnny Law for that finale sentence, something I was unaware of (in terms of off duty working in uniform and in cruiser). Nevertheless, a lost life is never anything to celebrate, whether it is citizen or LE! Sometimes being too long in the same scenario can make one cold and callous. My thoughts are to be thankful that both officer's lives were spared this round, and to pray for the Duncan Family. When we realize that all must stand before the Judgment Seat of God, irrespective of which side we are on, then we learn to be thankful for another day and sorrow for the ones who just slipped into eternity and pray for their Family! The reason being...God has no respect of persons and there are only two choices to spend eternity based on the lives we have chosen to live! So rather than congratulate someone on a shooting, have sorrow for the life lost, gratitude that your fellow LEO is still with us, and hope for a better tomorrow.

Private Citizen @ 4/24/2014 4:28 PM

Kops Korner is clearly the only one here deserving of a badge and the title Officer. Thank you for your service, Officer! Not many like you left.

Eve @ 5/3/2014 5:07 AM

Wow. Can't believe the comments. Duncan was my brother. He was confronted looking "suspicious". Since when does an officer have a right to detain someone for that reason? Let alone working as security for extra cash? Really like they are not over worked working 40 plus hour a week? And if the senerio did go the way the officer said it did, why could he just shoot him in the legs or arm? And if I'm correct once a taser had been used...u can't automatically use again right away. For this officers actions my brother is gone for good and this "officer" can live on and see his family but I won't get another moment with my brother. ...

Eve @ 5/3/2014 5:11 AM

And to add to that I'm not excusing my brothers actions, just don't feel it's right to take someone's life. I understand the officer may have been seriously injured but not dead!

chrissy @ 5/17/2014 8:39 PM

This man whos life was taken was my fiance one of the best men I have ever known. Everyone who knew him loved him his heart was as big as the sky he was only trying to make it home to his mother and I that night wish that I could say this is all a horrific dream but its my reality please do not speak on jefferson think his death should should change everyones thought process not a day goes by baby I miss you