Albuquerque Chief Vows to Reform Department After Protests, Shootings

April 01, 2014  |

A day after a protest over Albuquerque police shootings devolved into violence, the city's new police chief on Monday commended officers for showing restraint and said he is about to unveil reforms that include changes to the embattled department's recruiting process, the Associated Press reports.

Chief Gorden Eden spoke to reporters after more than 300 people took to the streets Sunday, calling for him and other city officials to resign. The protest turned violent that evening, when people began hunting down officers, throwing rocks and bottles, and spitting on officers, he said.

The chief says officials decided to disperse the crowd with tear gas after a man pulled out an AK-47, others blocked traffic by lying down on Interstate 25 and unruly crowds trapped people and officers in cars. Protesters also started attacking each other, impeded emergency crews and blocked the entrance to a hospital.

Eden, who has been on the job for a month, says he is working on reforming the department's recruiting process. He says a "new recruiting philosophy" will be announced by early next week. An independent review of the department's shootings nearly two years ago cited issues with officers being unable to de-escalate situations. It called for better screening to find candidates with problem-solving skills.

Tags: Rioters, Albuquerque (N.M.) PD, Protests, Officer Involved Shootings

Bob @ Az. @ 4/1/2014 6:46 PM

Damn people, give the man a chance! One month isn't enough time to even get comfotable in the Chair. Hopefully APD will rise above this, maybe with a little help from the citizens of that city, like talking instead of rioting. Blues, Stay Safe.

Capt. Crunch @ 4/1/2014 7:45 PM

I have a problem-solving skill for people who like to riot, #1 stick time #2 hook and # 3 book.

Lenny @ 4/1/2014 9:12 PM

@ Capt. Crunch
It's nice when your skill set matches your passion and hobby.
It was a protest that APD decided to upgrade to a riot by doing
what they do best, ESCALATION. I don't envy the new chief his
uphill battle trying to reform a force that seems to have the same
mind set and skill set as you Capn.
BTW Still waiting to hear from your lawyer regarding the comments
that I made that you believe were racist. Do you remember those
sweetheart? Or did your lawyer tell you to stop wasting his time?

Greg @ 4/2/2014 5:52 AM

I don't like the sound of "changes to the recruiting process". I can forsee more hispanics and other minorities being hired/promoted based on their race or color vs. those evil tests and experience requirements.

This is not going to end well.

Johnny Law @ 4/2/2014 7:36 AM

Captain, who let Lenny out of his mommy's basement again? I did get a good laugh though by his stupid comment that the Police upgraded to a riot! The peaceful protestors vandalized businesses, cars and attacked innocent citizens going about their daily lives, stopped traffic, threw rocks and bottles at the Police and one brought out an Ak-47.........sounds like a peaceful demonstration to me.....HA HA HA. What an idiot and a LEO hater Lenny is!! Back to basement you go little man!! LOL

Capt. Crunch @ 4/2/2014 12:15 PM

@ Lenny, go back to your basement and finish your can of tuna and polish your pink VW, with the flower on the dash board, because when my attorneys get done with you might only have your one can of tuna left.

Capt. Crunch @ 4/2/2014 12:15 PM

Lenny @ 4/2/2014 5:07 PM

@ Capt. Crunch
So now you have attorney(s) plural?
It's good to have people in our lives even make believe ones.
And you're still on the canned tuna thing? I live in an area where seafood is bountiful and varied. Even if I were to purchase canned seafood I'm more of a salmon guy. You should remember that it may be helpful in you lawsuit!! BAAAAHHAAAAHAAAAAAAAA
And what's with doubleposting everything, your comments arent worth reading once. Some sort of internet based stutter?
@ Johnny Law
As always your comments are equally bereft of wit and fact. Bye Bye

Capt. Crunch @ 4/2/2014 7:26 PM

@ No Lenny, you can't fool me I already know where you live and my attorneys will be there in the summer. I know what you eat by the way you write you for sure are a tuna guy and like to put mayonnaise on your hot dogs and have a small umbrella on your cocktail drink (pos. grass hopper).

Capt. Crunch @ 4/2/2014 7:26 PM

Lenny @ 4/3/2014 12:03 AM

@ Capt. Crunch
"Medical Examiner rules Luis Rodriguez's death a homicide"
I realize from law enforcement perspective this considered
a neutral term, but it sure is moving in the right direction.
Don't you think?
Since the comments I made about this very case and are the
basis of your impending legal adventure let me just say good luck.
"Remember white people have rights too" your words,
well sweetheart apparently so do hispanic people.
A good ending to this would be a quick trial to jail gen pop.

Jelly @ 4/3/2014 4:18 AM

Lenny… Of course the medical examiner is going to rule this case a homicide. He/She is absolutely correct. By definition it is a homicide you dipstick! Whenever an officer shoots and kills another human being it is a homicide. This has never been the question. The question is, is this shooting a justifiable homicide or not, given the facts and circumstances surrounding the event? This is for the prosecutors, investigators, judge and/or possibly a jury to decide. Not a police bashing goof like you. I’m still wondering why you only post on blogs where officers are portrayed in “bad light”. Have you missed all the other articles showing all the hard good work that officers are doing every day in this country?

Capt. Crunch @ 4/3/2014 11:39 AM

@ Lenny, everyone has rights even you and you should understand that the police protect your rights.

Lenny @ 4/20/2014 11:39 AM

@ Capt.
And just when did that start?