UCLA Police Clear Officers of Excessive Force

February 04, 2014  |

The UCLA Police Department has cleared two officers accused by an African American judge of using excessive force after stopping him for not wearing a seat belt, reports the L.A. Times.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge David Cunningham III, a former police commission president, filed a complaint and later a legal claim for $10 million, alleging that Officers Kevin Dodd and James Kim used unreasonable force and racial profiling in the Nov. 23 traffic stop in Westwood.

But UCLA officials found that the evidence did not support the allegation after an investigation reviewed a dashboard camera recording from the officers' police cruiser.

"UCLA police fully investigated Judge Cunningham's complaint as required by law but did not find sufficient evidence to sustain the allegations," the university said in a statement to The Times, noting that a letter was sent to the judge Monday morning. "We are distressed when anyone feels disrespected by our officers or anyone who represents UCLA."

Related:

Video: Judge Claims UCLA Police Used Excessive Force on Him

Tags: Racial Profiling, Campus Police, Excessive Force, UCLA PD, Traffic Enforcement, Internal Investigations

Lenny @ 2/4/2014 11:41 AM

Wow, the UCLA police cleared 2 UCLA officers. Who would have thought?
Just like Fort Worth police cleared 2 of their own of murdering Jerry Waller
in his own driveway. They went to the wrong house in the first place and
initially blamed "bad lighting" @ 2am. Now they are actually blaming the
victim."“I’m pretty sure I told you this; but I wanna reiterate that he…umm, his…his attitude towards us was very malicious.” “It…it was not, pro-police at all.” “ He did not seem happy that, that we were there.” That's quite a lot to assume since he was dead within 20 seconds of your arrival, IN THE WRONG F**CKING PLACE. Oh and just to mention one of the officers father is a retired FW captain who trained cadets and the officer who covered for him is the nephew of a FW Lt. Now all we need is to see Officer Andrew P. Murrill cleared for nearly beating a man to death because he wanted to read his ticket before signing it. And in this case somehow the audio for only that time period malfunctioned.

Serpico @ 2/4/2014 3:16 PM

I do not like Badge Heavy LEO's. That being said though. Not to long ago Obama had a "beer summit" and an Officer was accused of being a "racist" I wonder if this is the same story. If the Judge is Anti-White. Or it could be both parties the Judge and the LE's suffer from Enlarged Egos. Judges aren't above the law, regardless of race. Even the Supreme Court has to Obey Laws, even know they don't. I doubt the SC members have signed up on Obamacare.
Basically this a he said - LEO said case. Who do you trust the most?
Police shouldn't tolerate criminals in their own ranks, and the General Public shouldn't jump on every opportunity to label everyone in Law Enforcement as Evil. One think that would help clear this case of for the truth. If for the Public to see the Dash Board Cam. I'm a fair person. Like many Americans. Sometimes you have to look many times at an issue to draw the best conclusion possible.

TheRookie @ 2/4/2014 4:52 PM

Sorry your so angry Lenny, and the need to be judged by the public's view of the dash cam is far out in center field. It will be eventually released if not already Serpico. With that said, I never enjoyed being Monday Morning Quarterbacked. As I told my Ops. Commander one time, If I did something wrong then by all means step, or better yet stomp on my toes. But, If your going to make assumptions about something you don't know about I'm not going to take the blame game. We all know the phrase, To Assume makes an ass out of you & me.

Retired Sgt JJ @ 2/4/2014 6:01 PM

The Rookie is right on target! Only an ass makes unfounded assumptions! Professional examine facts. I seriously doubt that the Chief of Police at UCLA would excuse an officer for committed wrongs in the face of facts. Lighten up on our troops who must make the case on the scene.

sherry @ 2/4/2014 8:55 PM

Retired Sgt. JJ, Sir, unfounded assumptions are what Officer react on every single day as they have there mind set on " using force for every single issue that any civilian would like to ask them". Just how do you teach your kids/grandkids to keep there hands to themselves as that is the right way to conduct yourself. Then turn around and go to work where the first response is to put hands on using force for every issue. Biggest Gang in Town with Badges

TheRookie @ 2/4/2014 11:19 PM

Sherry, If a Officer goes on calls with unfounded assumptions every time & everyday then they have tunnel vision issues. I never make assumptions about scenes I arrive at. I try to visualize the scenario(s) I may encounter while en-route. When I radio, "Show me out" anything can happen that L.E.O's. aren't prepared for. You can't be a L.E.O. if your comparing children behavior(s) to cops being on the streets. My goodness get a grip. You possibly need a 72 hr. MHH with your anger issues.

Mike @ 2/5/2014 3:51 AM

Sorry Judge..........No free money for you this time, but I'm sure you will keep trying.

ReserveCommander @ 2/5/2014 8:21 AM

I'll ask the question. We've got PC to believe Lenny and Sherry don't like Cops. OK, why are they reading a magazine by and for Cops? I've been taking the magazine since '82 and I've always found fair and balanced reporting. Keep reading, both of you, and you'll learn all the good things the Brother, and Sister, Hood of the Badge do. I think you might grow to, if not like us, at least respect us for the jobs we really do. Serpico made a good point about badge heavy Cops, though (I refuse to use that politically correct term. We're Cops, be proud of it!). Let's make sure the public doesn't have a reason to hate us.

Capt. Crunch @ 2/5/2014 9:53 AM

Lenny and Sherry, I think it would be a good idea for the two of you to go on a police ride-a-long. I feel if you did this you would have a different point of view. Before you judge someone walk a mile in their shoes.

Jelly @ 2/5/2014 12:11 PM

I just like the fact Lenny starts off with referring to this incident then immediately refers to another. I guess his mindset is, if the officers were wrong in the Fort Worth incident (I don’t personally know either way), they must be wrong in the UCLA incident as well. Not how it works, LENNY. You should know better since you said you were in law enforcement for 30+ years. You see every incident must be looked at separately. Let me break this down for you so you can understand it. It’s kind of like when you are speeding in your convertible pink Volkswagen Bug with the flower in the cup holder. Just because you were speeding doesn’t necessarily mean the car behind you is speeding too. And yes, before you say I should read the facts of this case, I did. I read both sides from several sources. Seems to me if the judge just would have followed a few simple requests made by the officers, all would have been avoided.

Sgt Frank @ 2/5/2014 4:17 PM

I have been in LE for 36 years and I have never disrespected anyone, even though I have been disrespected many times. I have never shot anyone even though I have come close many times. I am amazed at how many judges and lawyers have criticized the police as if they are better than we are. As big a joke as the justice system is, it is amazing that they have the nerve to put us down. You would think they would keep their predjudices (spelling) to themselves. After all, are they not the ones who made the system what it is today? When was the last time you put someone in jail, and he was home before your shift was finished?

Ima Leprechaun @ 2/7/2014 1:51 AM

This was a no win traffic stop because of the prejudicial perception of the violator. Just do your job with respect and record everything and that's all you can do.

Ima Leprechaun @ 2/7/2014 2:02 AM

Has anyone noticed how the internet has become the "CB" radio of the 21st century. The same people that were whistling over their radio's are the same people interfering with professional conversations that are obviously way over their educational level.

Lenny @ 2/7/2014 5:23 PM

@ Ima Leprechaun
I know exactly what you mean, but what are you going to do?
They're morons.

Bob @ 2/9/2014 9:02 PM

Lenny, Ima Leprechaun is talking about you, you dumb ass.

Lenny @ 2/10/2014 11:59 AM

Well gee Bob aren't you the clever boots.
Way to sniff out sarcasm, you must be a detective.

Bob @ 2/10/2014 1:19 PM

Well gee Lenny you must be a Dick.

lmartin637 @ 2/10/2014 1:45 PM

We operate on a force continuum; our first 2 levels of force are our presence and verbal commands. LEO's respond to YOUR actions. They escalate and de-escalate their level of force in response to your actions.

Lenny @ 2/10/2014 1:47 PM

Oh ouch, your wit is astounding, please don't quit your day job.
It's a privilege to witness your "mind" at work.

Troop @ 2/10/2014 7:57 PM

Ha ha, bet the "judge" didn't know there was a video cam in the cruiser. Oops! The judge should be disciplined for lying about the incident.

S.S. @ 2/11/2014 1:39 PM

Uh oh lenny the far left liberal canadian douchebag is at it again. lenny you don't even live in the u.s. so you don't count. You're just a scared little girl, and sherry is just as stupid as you are. Fellow l.e.o.'s trust me i know it's hard not to fire back at these losers, especially lenny. Cause he's just a simpleton who thinks he knows what goes out on the streets. He doesn't have the balls or the courage to do what we do. Instead he dances around in his mommy's dresses in her basement, and plays with himself. FREAK!!! sherry find somewhere else to hang out....moron.

S.S. @ 2/11/2014 1:40 PM

The judge was just looking for an easy payday. What a joke! Hopefully they go after him for lying his ass off. Asshole!