Utah Sheriff’s Sgt. Killed, Dep. Wounded in Rampage

January 31, 2014  |

Sgt. Cory Wride (Photo: Utah County Sheriff's Office)
Sgt. Cory Wride (Photo: Utah County Sheriff's Office)

Sgt. Cory Wride of the Utah County Sheriff’s Office was killed Thursday afternoon by a man wielding a high-powered rifle. Another deputy was critically wounded when the suspect opened fire during a high-speed pursuit.

Authorities say Wride was ambushed about 1 p.m. as he stopped to check on a vehicle abandoned on the side of Highway 73 between Eagle Mountain and Cedar Fort.

Utah County Sheriff Jim Tracy told the Salt Lake Tribune Wride, 44, never had a chance to exit his vehicle before he was fatally shot.

Wride’s body was discovered by deputies who were sent to the scene after dispatch could not reach the sergeant on the radio.

The suspect fled south following the shooting. His car was spotted by Dep. Greg Sherwood who pursued at high speed. Authorities say that during the pursuit, the suspect opened fire, hitting Sherwood, 38, in the head.

Sherwood was rushed to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. He is listed as critical but Tracy told reporters that his prognosis was good.

Reports say the suspect continued traveling south and wrecked his car in the Nephi area. He then stole a vehicle at gunpoint.

In the stolen vehicle, the suspect fled south on Interstate 15, where he wrecked again. Reports say he was then engaged by Juab County Sheriff’s deputies. The deputies opened fire on the suspect who was critically wounded.

The suspect has not been identified. Authorities have said he has a “significant criminal history.”

Tracy told the Tribune the investigation covers four different crime scenes. And all were being worked by a variety of agencies Thursday night.

Sgt. Wride was married with two children and three stepchildren. He was a 19-year veteran of the Utah County Sheriff’s Office.

Tags: Vehicle Pursuits, Officer Down, Cop Killers, Officer Injured, Officer Involved Shootings, Utah County Sheriff

TheRookie @ 1/31/2014 7:24 AM

So sad to read this. R.I.P. Sarge, and may your direct and agency family be able to find some peace. Brothers/Sisters in Uniform will take the torch & carry it from here.

These scumbags are getting way to brave. It's time to start putting them down like rabbid dogs so the word gets out; No more open season on L.E. will be tolerated. Criminals have to many rights. It should stop now!!!

Sorry but I'm angry!!!

Hank @ 1/31/2014 7:37 AM

R.I.P Sarge Thank you for your service, Prayers to your family,friends and co workers.

Robert @ 1/31/2014 7:57 AM

I know my wife would not like it, but when you see 5 kids and wife, there I just times I wish I could trade places with someone.
God damn that killer! Errr.
R.I.P. Sgt.

Deputy Ken @ 1/31/2014 8:16 AM

What a tragic incident, I hate ambush stories like this where the officer didnt even have a chance to fight. I hope the cowardly dirtbag suspect spends the rest of his pathetic life as a cripple rotting in a jail cell where he belongs. Damn these kinda stories make me mad.

My sincere condolences to the brave Sgt.s family, they should know the rest of us in his extended law enforcement family honor him as a fallen brother. We may have never met, but my heart goes out to the family.

ChiefU @ 1/31/2014 8:25 AM

My heart goes out to the Wride family as well as Sheriff Tracy and his department and personnel. This is a tragedy that touches us all in law enforcement. The solace we share is what brings us together as one family.

I hope we don't find that this criminal should have been behind bars or was let out early due to a light sentence overcrowding etc.

Thanks for your service Sergeant - RIP.

Daniel Watson @ 1/31/2014 9:17 AM

God Bless you brother, your family and those fellow peace keepers that you left behind. Chief Daniel Watson Darlington City Police Darlington, SC

TERRY ZECH @ 1/31/2014 9:22 AM

Okay why is the suspect still breathing. He killed one of our own and seriously wounded another and has a rap sheet longer than two legs I will bet. Rest in peace Sgt Wride my condolences to your family and to your department and may Sherwood recover fully to ride again. Wake up court system you cannot keep putting these killers back on the street.

Lt. L. Baker @ 1/31/2014 9:54 AM

My sincerest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Sgt. Wride. His loss is felt by everyone in the Law Enforcement family, world wide. It is a scary proposition that we as LEO's face each day, when we put on our uniform and badge, knowing that there are people out there intent on killing us because we do what we do. No amount of training can prepare us for some situations, and an ambush like this is one that meets that criteria. This suspect deserves nothing less than the needle as there is clearly NO probative value in keeping scum like him alive, when it is obvious that he has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and would simply be another waste of our tax dollars learning how to be a better criminal in what is commonly referred to as "crime college" or prison as we know it. I know I speak for EVERY LEO across the land when I say "Rest In Peace Brother Wride!" I am sure you are missed by many and will never be forgotten.
May Peace be with your Family and Friends.

Lt. L. Baker @ 1/31/2014 10:00 AM

To Deputy Sherwood; I pray you have a speedy recovery and are able to get back out here, on the streets with us. We need you, and your absence is felt in every community in this nation. Myself, and the Officers in my department are praying for you and your family, friends and colleagues. Rest well, but heal fully, and I pray that you recover completely.

Connie W. Pender/CPSO @ 1/31/2014 10:00 AM

Thoughts and Prayers to the Wride Family, the Utah Sheriff's Office. and the Citizens of Utah.........God Bless.
Caddo Parish Sheriff's Office-Shreveport, LA

John @ IA retired @ 1/31/2014 11:07 AM

My prayers to SGT Wride, Deputy Sherwood and their families. Thank you for your sacrifices that keep the rest of us safe.

Dep. Tim Koob @ 1/31/2014 11:23 AM

God Bless your family and loved ones my Brother; may your killer get his due...
Way too many Deputies and Police Officers and their families having to deal with TRAGEDY these days. May God be with your family, and carry you peacefully into what you have earned.

Last but not least, Deputy Sherwood... May God lead you to a speedy recovery.

To the shooter; If you could only experience the same fate, all would be good in the world.

Caddo Parish Sheriff's Office, Shreveport, La.

Dan Submoa @ 1/31/2014 2:31 PM

Cory and I worked together for 8 years. He was a firearms instructor as well as a K9 handler. He was a wonderful father and family man. He was a dedicated public servant and protector of the community. There are many officers but when one gets into the profession to help his community and protect them, then never forgets why he came to the profession, they stand out from the crowd. My prayers are with Nan and the children as well as Greg and his family.

Retired Chief @ 1/31/2014 4:20 PM

God Bless the fallen, their families, and their department. Prayers for Deputy Sherwood's full recovery. The Sergeant stops to check a possible disabled vehicle and is ambushed. The Sergeant is a hero and Sheepdog. The suspect nothing but an evil coward

M.Conner @ 1/31/2014 4:25 PM

No words can express the sadness I felt after reading this. We have lost another hero. God Bless and Rest In Peace.

Morning Eagle @ 1/31/2014 7:02 PM

Such a senseless tragedy for the 19 year veteran of the sheriff dept and our hearts go out to his wife, children, and everyone who was connected with him and to the wounded deputy that they reported this evening is progressing well post surgery.
The good news is: The killer died today in the hospital having never regaining consciousness after being critically wounded by responding deputies. According to more recent reports he had been convicted of attempted murder some years ago and had recently been turned loose on society again by the parole board. A warrant had been issured for a parole violation and the current speculation is that may have been at least part of the reason for his actions. The investigation continues. He was apparently accompanied by a 17 year old female and she is being questioned by investigators.

Casper vantoon @ 1/31/2014 8:46 PM

Morning eagle thanks for that additional information. No words can fully describe the anguish I feel for the sergeants family, or the disgust at the fact that this animal was set free to prey upon society.

TheRookie @ 1/31/2014 10:02 PM

Morning Eagle I read some info. It was noted that he was barred from the U.S., and from crossing back into the U.S., but then it said he was a U.S. Citizen? I'd like to know if it was the Utah Board of Pardons, or AG With-Holder @ the Dept. of Un-Justice who dropped the wrecking ball on this one.
Deputy Sherwood is doing well, and the mother & child are going through severe post stress. May they all find the comfort they need, and get well soon Deputy Sherwood.
Deputies at Juab County S.O. thanks for the service, and job well done.
Brothers/Sisters in uniform watch your 12, 3, 6, & 9 O'clocks out there.

Jim Duncan @ 2/1/2014 6:39 AM

In Romans Chapter 13 it speaks to what God thinks of this fallen hero job calling in life. This man is considered a friend of God doing his duty. Christ loves peace makers & they have a place in Gods Kingdom. People ask why does God allow such Evil in the world. Bottom line we live in a fallen world that was never intended to be full of evil. One day, one day soon all that is Evil will be gone! God help this mans family & friends be thankful to you for bringing him into the world to strive for peace to your glory!

dennis @ 2/1/2014 7:59 AM

Mr Duncan...you are so right.We must continue doing our jobs..it is our calling..before we even knew it.We must keep up the work.Despite pantywaist prosecutors and so called judges..
Know & trust that GOD will end up as the great equalizer.Enjoy heaven,Cory..hope to see you there.
Good work..Juab County!No more plea bargains or early releases for that SOB.

Frank @ 2/1/2014 8:13 AM

I love this story. So glad that the cop was killed. It always seems ok for cops to kill people but when a cop gets shot the whole world stops to cry about it. If I had the chance I would do the same thing in my town. All cops are pussies without their guns.

Ima Leprechaun @ 2/1/2014 11:28 AM

My condolences to all of our law enforcement family. Is there any chance Police Magazine can remove non-Police Magazine readers from this web site?

sherry @ 2/1/2014 5:25 PM

Now THIS Man is the Best most Kind Harted Wonderful First Class kind of Officer that Others should inspired to be like. Just Look at That Face, His ora around him.
MY HEART GOES Out to His Family. Such a loss in every aspect of life.

TheRookie @ 2/1/2014 10:42 PM

Frank, LMAO-ROF. You are the typical little wuss who had your butt whipped through school, and life. Do all a favor and go climb your rubber rope some more. LOL!!!

MB @ 2/2/2014 12:07 AM

Do Not Feed The Troll aka Frank

RIP Sgt Wride, and a wish for a speedy recovery to Deputy Sherwood

Frank @ 2/3/2014 9:26 AM

Typical of a cop to say someone is a wuss or was beaten up through school. FYI I've never been in a fight and never been arrested. I just hate cops like you that ABUSE the power that they have been given. All cops suck.

Robert Gould @ 2/3/2014 1:57 PM

Seems "Frank" may be making a Terroristic Threat under Federal Statues under an identifiable IP Address. Foreward his threats and IP information to the Feds.

dennis @ 2/4/2014 5:17 AM

Maybe "frank" wants to be the "frank" in the movie "blue velvet".hopefully he will end up like that.lets not give this moron any more of our time.Life is too short as it is.

Frank @ 2/6/2014 2:10 PM

I wonder how many of you law enforcement a* holes are gonna defend that scum bag cop who was arrested in Pembroke Pines Florida today for stealing a movado watch while investigating a robbery. Yea go ahead say he was an awesome cop right. He's just as crooked as all cops are. Go ahead defend the scum bag for betraying the " sacred badge". Idiots.

DREDUIguy @ 2/19/2014 7:13 AM

Come on admin, remove this nuts innapropriate comments. Frank, just to piss you off even more, I know Cory and he is the guy who would go out of his way to help you. And I would do the same when you call squeeling for help, not because its my job but because it's the right thing to do.