The Law Officer's Pocket Manual - Bloomberg BNA
This handy 4" x 6" spiral-bound manual offers examples showing how rules are...

Murder Defendant Throws Chair in L.A. Court, Hits Detective

January 30, 2014  |

An L.A. police detective was hit in the head and upper body Wednesday when a defendant in a murder case threw a chair in court, also clipping a prosecutor, the Los Angeles Times reports.

The female detective was struck during a 10:30 a.m. hearing when the defendant, identified as Jesus Mendez, grabbed a chair and tossed it about 15 feet, authorities said.

The attack unfolded in Department 134 in the downtown criminal courts. It was unclear how Mendez was able to get free and grab the chair.

The blow knocked down the detective, whose name was not released. She was treated at Los Angeles County + USC Medical Center, according to Los Angeles Police Cmdr. Andrew Smith.

John @ 1/31/2014 7:53 AM

This scummer should be watching the rest of his trial from a hospital bed in leg and arm chains wearing a nice bleed through turban. You're welcome.

LegAdv @ 1/31/2014 9:35 AM

Knowing CA, he'll probably get cited for contempt and nothing more.

JJ @ 1/31/2014 9:37 AM

The ass hole was able to grab a chair and use it as a weapon because the liberal judges in the LA Court system order the cuffs off to allow the defendant the appearance of human civility. As a former supervisor of those deputies who escort these poor scum bags, I used to require they be waist chained and cuffed to the chair until ordered to let them be comfortable and remove shackles. I even had a judge who wanted to conduct marriage ceremony for a convicted killer in his court room with all the frills. That did not happen, but took a call to the Presiding Judge by the Chief. Working with the liberals who run our courts is a real experience that none should experience.

Deputy068 @ 1/31/2014 9:55 AM

I'm currently a Court Deputy for the Municipal Court of the 7th JD here in Upstate New York. Trust me - liberal judges are not confined to CA. We've had multiple cases where the 'accused' acts out in court and his/her PD can't even begin to contain them. Let's not even begin to talk about their entourage of aunts, uncles, cousins, mothers (the fathers are usually absent, thank God!) and various friends. Let the decision come down that their not happy with (anything other than outright acquittal) and we're in for some serious fun!

parolecop @ 1/31/2014 8:28 PM

Bolt the chairs to the floor. Belly chains and shackles. Spit mask, if needed, will retain civility in the court. Then justice can proceed safely.

TheRookie @ 1/31/2014 10:12 PM

Amen to the crap for brains liberal judges. I finally bid to the day shift as a youngster, got the booking sheet, and court roster. Got the thugs cuffed, leg-ironed, chained & took them to court. The County Court Clerk came up to me and asked me what I was doing. I told her I was bringing inmates in per the court docket roster they gave us. She said the Judge didn't like the appearance of criminals being in shackles. Took them, turned them around, and went back to the facility. Was my first & last day shift I ever worked.

Ima Leprechaun @ 2/1/2014 11:35 AM

Had he hit a judge they might have actually done something to him but as it is he was not charged with anything for his outburst. Seeing its California they will probably release him from the murder charge for causing so much stress to him in Court.