Video: Judge Bars Badges and Uniforms from Cop Killing Trial

January 27, 2014  |

VIDEO: Judge Bars Badges and Uniforms from Cop Killing Trial

A judge has enacted a policy barring police officers from wearing their uniforms or other insignia while watching the trial of accused deputy shooter Brandon Bradley, Florida Today reports.

Judge Morgan Reinman enacted the policy, which applies to those watching the trial from the gallery.

One of Bradley's attorneys argued that a "sea of blue or green" in the courtroom would influence the jury and diminish Bradley's right to a fair trial. Witnesses and court deputies can still wear their uniforms.

Bradley, 24, is accused of shooting Brevard County Sheriff's Deputy Barbara Pill. He appeared in court today while his attorneys argued dozens of motions, many of which were denied.

Tags: Cop Killers, Florida

Boston @ 1/27/2014 4:02 PM

Really Judge! I suppose you would feel the same way if one of your family members were the victim. The POS shot a LEO judge. Which means!

Johnny Law @ 1/27/2014 4:46 PM

The judge doesn't want that poor criminal to feel uneasy or nervous while on trial. Really? The criminal is as big a POS as the judge is in this case!!

Dave @ 1/27/2014 5:18 PM

A fellow officer from my agency was murdered and the judge (a different one) did the same thing. Of course, I was upset at the time, but if it provides less ammo later for an appeal, I am all for it. Looking back now, I am glad the judge did what he did. Back then, I wasn't so happy.

TheRookie @ 1/28/2014 1:05 AM

Just posted comment on story about Officer Kerrick being indicted by a shopped for GJ & Judge in NC. This is as pathetic as that. Open season on Muni., County, & State L.E.O's. brother/sisters in uniform. Liberal Prosecutors, Judges, Administrators, Politicians (Local, State, Federal), AG With-Holder @ Dept. of Un-Justice, & the Drug Condoning President all want to clean the L.E. house of ethics. Hang in there, and watch the 6 O'clock. Sad, sad indeed. Damn glad I'm retired

Nichole @ 1/28/2014 4:06 AM

You seem to be missing the point. The judge is right in his actions, no matter how much it may hurt the feelings of the fallen officer's fellow LEOs. If the attorneys of the shooter can pull even one shred of evidence that the jury was swayed by a crowd of officers in uniform in the gallery, they can call a mistrial or any other ridiculous thing and get the trial thrown out and ask for an appeal.

Despite how upsetting this may be to other LEOs, if you put your emotions aside for a second and think the way a scumbag lawyer would think, you'd realize that it's the best possible move to make to ensure that this POS goes down for what he did without any chance of getting away with it due to some ridiculous circumstance.

Boston @ 1/28/2014 6:09 AM

This subject makes me see RED! Back to the original post. He shot an LEO! That's enough for me. I don't care about anything past that. POS people have no business shooting LEO's. If this guy will shot a Officer he will surely shoot you. I strongly support the death penalty for shooting an Officer. This type of activity is out of control and we've lost many good people in the law enforcement community trying to uphold the law and protect the communities. So no one will convince me that removing people from a court room is the correct move or provides a stronger conviction for this POS. If you want LEO's out of the court room then maybe the Federal Government should pass the law on shooting LEO's. Rant Out!

Arby @ 1/28/2014 7:33 AM

Hey, Boston - take a chill pill. I think most everyone on this site agrees with your opinion about anyone who shoots a LEO, and probably about the death penalty for them too. Read the article - the judge is not removing people from the courtroom, he is keeping uniforms and badges of observers (only) out. Fill the decks with plain clothed observers and its no problem. Witnesses and court personnel keep the uniforms. Nicole has expressed the best opinion so far. Don't give the defense a leg to stand on and you've got a better chance of seeing the defendant getting his just deserts in the end.

Boston @ 1/28/2014 9:17 AM

Sorry Arby I just don't see why the judicial system should be allowed to make any type of changes even at the request from a POS's lawyer. This type of support has been going on longer than both of us have been around. I read the article its all about restricting non-participants, law enforcement in uniform from being in the courtroom. If it was a Terrorist(s) the system would allow every type of LEO from Federal down to Local in the courtroom.Guess what, the judge would not be saying a word. This will start a trent across the USA from bottom feeding lawyers. Watch it happen!

S.S. @ 1/28/2014 11:58 AM

Only one sentence good enough for this p.o.s. DEATH!!!

Capt. Crunch @ 1/28/2014 11:59 AM

I agree with Boston, I say give the defense all the legs they want. The truth of the matter is did the POS commit the crime or not, this is all court needs to go on in my opinion.

Arby @ 1/28/2014 1:50 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the judge won't be deciding guilt or innocence. It will be a jury of civilians who are not law enforcement. All of us who've been around the block a few times know anything that goes before a jury is a crapshoot at best - some innocents go to jail, many guilty go free. THAT is why I say make it as difficult as possible for the defense to have a leg to stand on - don't give them ANYTHING, they might successfully use to get another, possibly more sympathetic jury for a second go round (appeal) when we win the first round, (guilty).

Arby @ 1/28/2014 1:52 PM

... and one more thing. The FACT of the matter is that for court purposes, the TRUTH of the matter is whatever the jury decides it is - not necessarily what REALITY is.

Boston @ 1/28/2014 3:52 PM

Arby my exact reason for making it a Federal law and why I see red every time this subject comes up on this forum. We as a society continue to come up with some of the dumbest ideas to protect the guilty. If the person is caught on camera robbing a bank. He shoots and kills an LEO and Guard. A trial is not required and neither is an appeal. This week in Massachusetts. My liberal Commonwealth would like to hand out drivers licenses to all illegals, for the PC folks, that's undocumented workers. Why so they will not be driving around uninsured. Maybe next year the Commonwealth can do something else maybe a small business loan or a four year education at Harvard or even a Police Officer.

Capt. Crunch @ 1/28/2014 9:46 PM

@ Arby, what I understand about your political correctness is for instance if a suspect shoots a Catholic Nun the judge has the right to to order all the Catholic Nuns coming to the to hear the case, not to wear their uniforms in court brcause the jury may be swayed in favor of the Nun that was killed (this is BS) Do you want this type of reality? Lets not make it easy for someone to commit a crime or do you want this law just for police officers?

TheRookie @ 1/28/2014 10:31 PM

Nichole, Sorry but I don't think you understood the jist of my post. Whether it's here or another venue it is open season on Muni, County, & State L.E.O's., period. That damn dirty word again. My little brother is a Deputy with Adams County Colorado S.O., best friend is an Officer with the Aurora Colorado P.D., etc. Hell he was the 4th Unit to arrive at the theater shooting. I hear stories from them as well as other ex-colleagues about the IA's, Monday Morning Quarterbacking, etc. they're put under daily some times hourly. It's downright disgraceful in how L.E.O's. are treated in the profession today, and pisses me off. Just my opinion though.

Arby @ 1/29/2014 8:42 AM

I can't believe I'm having this much trouble getting my point across. On the job over 40 years and this is the first time I've ever been called politically correct. What is this world coming to? I have always thought, and still do, it is unnecessarily difficult to overcome all the ridiculous roadblocks LEOs face just to get the job done. I agree in principle with Boston's example about the video, but that is not the system we have. It was never that way for any of us and I agree the system is getting worse. My point is I want the guy to go down as much as anybody AND I want him to STAY down. If we can get him down in the first trial, I don't want to give some lawyer an opportunity to pick a more gullible jury on appeal. From traffic cases on up we've all seen people WE knew were guilty go free. I've see that happen when defense demands speedy trial and the State can't get its act together so the charges are dismissed. That's not justice, but it IS the system.

Arby @ 1/29/2014 8:46 AM

And as far as my "wanting this law" its not a law, it's a judges prerogative. I would not have thought of it, but if this judge thinks it may sway a jury and give defense grounds for appeal, it seems to me he is trying to prevent that and in so doing, is helping the State. Why give the defense a free ride? Try the case right the first time, hopefully the jury will see the truth, give the right verdict and we're done, he's done, game over. I'll take my order extra crispy, please.

TheRookie @ 1/29/2014 2:55 PM

Arby, Closing on this note. I understand what you mean. One of the last murder trials I worked we Deputies in the Security detail had to wear plain clothes in the court room because the Judge wanted that. The Police Officers didn't have to. Their Chief told the Judge & Prosecutor in a closed door absolutely not & if so they wouldn't appear. But our Sheriff folded. So as you say it is the Judge, his Ball, his Court, and his Rules. Hell the guy still got off the death penalty, but did get life.