Ill. Officers Train to Handle CCW Encounters

November 21, 2013  |

Illinois, the last state to allow concealed carry, is expected to begin issuing permits in April under a law that goes into effect on the first of the year. So law enforcement agencies are looking for ways to train their officers how to properly make contact with civilians who are legally carrying concealed handguns.

"As soon as you see someone move (and) they have a gun, all of a sudden things get really crazy in a hurry," Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart told reporters at a news conference. "What we're attempting to do is get out in front of this."

"There's no two ways about it. This is going to be a sea change for law enforcement around the state," Dart said. "(Before the law) if you weren't a member of law enforcement and you had a gun, you had it illegally. Now you have to throw all that out the window and sort of look at things in a whole different way."

Kevin McClain, executive director of the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board, told the Chicago Tribune the board is already expected to boost the required training for new officers to about 560 hours, up from 480. That would include less than 10 hours of new training on concealed carry.

"The ultimate goal is not only to protect law enforcement but also to protect the public," he said.

Tags: Concealed Carry, Concealed Weapons, Training Academies, In-Service Training

Roadkill Bill @ 11/21/2013 2:13 PM

In Oregon, if a person is a CCW permit holder, you will get a hit when you run the persons license or when you run the vehicle and they are listed as a registered owner.
If I know the driver is a permit holder, I ask if they are carrying. If they say they are, I ask them where the weapon is and I ask them to keep their hands on the wheel during my contact.
I already know the person has passed a criminal background check, so I know they are not a felon nor has been recently convicted of a misdemeanor.
With this knowledge, I don't find it necessary to conduct myself with a more heightened sense of officer safety than I do on any other traffic stop. This being said, I assume everyone intends to cause me grevious physical harm but I treat them with courtesy and respect. That is until the person dictates otherwise.
I don't think you need 4 to 10 hours to teach this class.

Tschako @ 11/21/2013 2:15 PM

I hope the people who get the CCW's also get training in how to handle encounters with LE. Training LE alone will not be enough. I'm happy to see CCW's issued to responsible people.

Lloyd Reese @ 11/21/2013 2:20 PM

Roadkill Bill assumes a high degree of common sense. Maybe that is lacking in
IL which had to be sued before it would consider CCW legislation.

madmack1008 @ 11/21/2013 3:29 PM

I'm with roadkillbill on this one. A law-abiding citizen who is armed is not the problem. The guys who have always carried any weapon they saw, fit regardless of the laws and with criminal intent, are the problem. My state included a duty to notify LE if carrying, and the CCW trainers worth their salt teach students to notify FIRST of CCW, THEN that they're carrying. (Works out better for both parties than "I have a gun on me...") Obviously, any crimes committed by CCW holders need dealt with...but in any state you pick, there is a distinct lack of the "wild west" problems predicted by detractors.

perry @ 11/21/2013 5:53 PM

Hire more Conservation Officers...we're used to checking people with guns...ALL the time. I think IL is making way too big a deal out of this. Safe approach, watch the hands......same for any contact. The permit holders aren't the ones to worry about.

Ima Leprechaun @ 11/22/2013 4:33 AM

I am so thankful these stupid CCW and "stand your ground" laws had not been enacted until after I retired. The old CCW arrest laws in some states were not hampered by concealed carry permits and it was incumbent upon the accused to prove his "Affirmative Defense" for carrying a concealed weapon in court. But some states did allow "open carry" of a firearm without a permit but there were restrictions regarding possession of a firearm while in a motor vehicle and while under disability (drugs/alcohol) or by a registered felon. The decision to arrest and charge anyone found CCW was up to the arresting officer based upon his knowledge of the firearm owner and any probable reason for an affirmative defense by the weapon holder. Of course all those laws are gone now and all Police Officers everywhere have to assume everyone to be armed with a firearm and treated accordingly for Officer Safety. Unfortunately, the comments above concerning "wild west" action by honest citizens do occur frequently in Florida with negative results and are becoming common place but are not being reported by the media.

Keilman1 @ 11/22/2013 5:42 AM

I am a certified instructor here in IL. and part of our training mandated by the state is interaction with LEO. The training we provide encompasses safety, fundamentals, maintenance, IL. CCW law, Use of force, LEO interaction, FOID(IL Firearm Owner Identification) and drawing from concealment along with live-fire qualification and exercises. The training is 16hrs., I don't know of any other state that has this type of training as a mandatory requirement. The people getting their CCW permit are not the bad guys, they get the background check and go through the training. Most LEO's I know are for CCW, it's the elected officials who seem to have the most problem. We teach our students to be respectful and use common sense. If you have to reach past your gun to get to your wallet, let the officer know you have a gun there and listen to his direction. The duty to inform is if asked by the officer, most LEO's assume everyone has a gun when they make a stop anyway! Stay Safe!!!

Marshal Fine @ 11/22/2013 10:34 AM

Your neighbors to the east (Indiana) have dealt with this for decades. Rarely do I stop someone who does NOT have a gun.. Just like the DNR guys are telling you. Be polite. These people are NOT bad guys and someday one could come to your aid... Let them know what you are doing and why.. explain what you want them to do professionally .. and finally DO NOT FREAK OUT.. and remember.. ONLY criminals kill anyone... Be on your toes.. but be a pro. ! Piece of Cake.. Your's truly... Indiana Law Enforcement !

LLC @ 11/22/2013 10:47 AM

I'm retired law enforcement with a CCW permit. If LEO's are approached by on-duty officers, It's a no-brainer ... just follow the officer's instructions. I worked in a department where many officers don't know each other and shooting incidents between officers have occurred. Of course, the old-timers had a sure fire method of avoiding such incidents ... they didn't get involved in anything off duty ... some barely got involved (or did their jobs) on-duty. I don't know if IL will have reciprocity with other states concerning CCW permits, but if they do, I hope officers will be informed about that matter in their training. CCW permits are here to stay in the various states. A little common sense does go a long way.

Ima Leprechaun @ 11/25/2013 6:19 AM

So sad that the bloggers here learned nothing from their own training. Retired Officers with CCW still think like cops so they stick their nose into things where they do not belong. They have the same authority as every civilian and that's all, that authority will vary state to state but being retired you have no radio, no back-up, no intelligence about local conditions, you may be interfering with some ongoing undercover operation that started after you retired of which you have no knowledge. People armed think just like people armed and they will do things that they normally would not even think about doing. I retired over ten ears ago and I have never carried a gun since, my choice. I keep my family safe by calling whatever I see in and I let the professionals do their job. Protecting your family is job one and anyone acting recklessly you deserve to be prosecuted for your actions just like anyone else, no special treatment. Not all "old timers" think like an "old timer" but having lived this long we are a lot smarter than you. LEO's are just like everybody else some are good and some are rotten, but a gun in any room is a danger to everybody. If you want to carry a gun and you have a permit then I should never see that you are carrying a gun. I treat gun nuts the same as cigarette smokers I don't care if you kill yourself just leave me out of it.

John @ 12/9/2013 5:25 PM

That last post was the most sensible I have read yet.

Rocketgeezer @ 3/30/2014 8:42 AM

Ima Lepriechaun, first time posting here, never met you, but strickly going by your comments I don't like you, you definatly got a piss poor attitude especialy for a cop or even x cop

Rocketgeezer @ 3/30/2014 8:43 AM

oh I see, he's a ex cop, and this is police magazine