Sheriff Joe Arpaio Now Serving Unpatriotic Prisoners 'Bread and Water'

November 12, 2013  |

Maricopa County, Ariz., Sheriff Joe Arpaio is serving some prisoners "bread and water" as punishment for allegedly unpatriotic behavior, reports USA Today.

Arpaio announced his latest jailhouse initiative – "patriotic jails in honor of Veterans Day" – in a Nov. 7 press release. To celebrate the holiday, he said, American flags were placed in each inmate's cell.

"Any defacement or vandalism of the flags by inmates comes with the penalty of bread and water," he warned. At the time of that release 10 inmates had already earned themselves the old-fashioned fare.

Arpaio spokeswoman Lisa Allen says inmates are condemned to the diet for 30-day periods of time. The office's latest count of flag desecrators remained 10 as of Tuesday.

Tags: Maricopa County (Ariz.) Sheriff, Joe Arpaio

Lenny @ 11/12/2013 3:46 PM

It really is time for this idiot to go.
What's next gladiatorial style games or simple
executions for bad behavior. And no I'm not suggesting
inmates should have any sort of special treatment, just
what decent ordinary people think is fair.
That prank by Joe "GET OFF MY LAWN" Arpaio stinks of
entrapment.

Ima Leprechaun @ 11/12/2013 4:57 PM

I am worried Sheriff Arpaio may be off his very necessary medication.

gp cobb @ 11/12/2013 5:00 PM

I humbly disagree. Spare the rod spoil the child. Too many spoilt ones.
Go Joe S!

gp cobb @ 11/12/2013 5:02 PM

I see things are normal with two liberal comments.

JJ @ 11/12/2013 5:07 PM

If they want to be jerks, then they came to the right place to learn some manners. Bread and water are all the necessary nourishment needed when you act bad. Don't like the discipline, don't screw up!

Jack Betz @ 11/12/2013 5:09 PM

Sheriff Joe is going a little too far this time and could well mess up the health of the prisoners on the bread and water fare.

DD1811 @ 11/12/2013 5:17 PM

MALNOURISHED CHILDREN IN AFRICA WOULD DISAGREE WITH BREAD AND WATER MESSING UP THEIR HEALTH.....

Bob@Az. @ 11/12/2013 7:24 PM

lenny, ima & jack, stuff it. It's so obvious that your posts are not coming from any real LEOs it's not funny. Did any of you cry babies realize that the MCSO supplies medical aid to ALL prisoners? And I'm betting Sheriff Arpaio has checked with the doctors to make sure this would be safe. Yeah, I know, Joe gets a lot of attention from the left leaning press every bloody day, yet none of them come up with any better ideas. Blues, Stay Safe.

Rob Moore @ 11/12/2013 8:56 PM

Bob, you stuff it. Arpaio is simply an egotistic attention hog. What an incredibly silly stunt. I don't see much difference between this guy and any other 15-minutes-of-fame goober.

Justin M @ 11/12/2013 9:58 PM

Messing up their health? Come on, these clowns been ingesting chemicals for years.

Capt. Crunch @ 11/12/2013 11:05 PM

Right on Bob, I bet Lenny, Ima, Jack and Rob, would like to take the prisoners out for dinner on Veterans Day.

Dave S @ 11/12/2013 11:11 PM

GO JOE! I have as much contempt for whiny libtards who get upset at a creative caretaker trying to teach the concept of accountability and consequences, as I do for those they would rather coddle than punish for the pain and suffering they inflict on society. The arrogance of you who would criticize and condemn those willing to work and fight and demand accountability for crimes against us. You do not like the job being done? Step behind the gates and do it yourself. Alas, you will not. You would rather whine and complain and tear down the man from the comfort of your little world made safe by the sacrifices of others; as though what you think or what you say really matters to those of us who live and deal in the reality and misery caused by the criminal parasites of society. You're worried about a criminal getting bread and water for breaking a rule you think is arbitrary and contrived, when you should be worried about why he thinks it's OK to break the rule.

CLF @ 11/13/2013 1:03 AM

did any of you whiners ever stop and read the article this one refers to??? The Bread has all the nutrients of the food the rest of the group gets.. because that is what it is just in a premixed and baked fashion

Nichole @ 11/13/2013 4:52 AM

I disagree with any naysayers. You got to prison, you deserve to be treated like the scum you were to get you there. I love what he does at that prison and I wish more prisons would follow suit. Then perhaps people would think more than twice about a life of crime.

Jelly @ 11/13/2013 6:01 AM

Lenny I guess in your world it is perfectly acceptable to desecrate the American flag. Is it too much to require discipline in a jail? The sheriff said, “don’t mess with it” and they did. End of story. GO JOE, you’re my hero! These are prisoners and contrary to what you may believe, they are not free to do as they wish.

Steve @ 11/13/2013 6:25 AM

The POS are in prison, not Holiday Inn in Kenya.
I hope it's stale bread and dirty water.

Don't molly-koddle these Jack offs. They don't like our Country...get the F out.

Prisoner exchange should be started with mexico and Third world country's...let them bitch then!

Way to go Joe. He is one American that don't back down to political pussy-whipped milk-toast no azz politicians...

...We need more like you Joe.

Steve @ 11/13/2013 6:29 AM

Good going Joe. We need more like you. Not milk-toast pu ssy whipped Political panzy's like Washington is full of. And their full of it.
Ship the non-American prisoners to a non-American country, China, Kenya, Mexico, Iraq...

I hope it was stale bread.

Steve @ 11/13/2013 6:29 AM

Nice going Joe...it is the right thing to do!

Dennis @ 11/13/2013 6:37 AM

Some people seem to forget or do not know that the Maricopa County Jail system houses primarily unsentenced detainies awaiting trial. It is not a prison. Also, Arpaio has been an embaresment to professional law enforcement for a long time. This is nothing more than a continuation of a long series of media stunts to keep his name in the news. I bet jail systems all over this country disipline prisoners and do not feel the need to crow about it in the news. Dollar collar Joe is just a media hound trying to deflect his recent loss in federal court regarding his UDA round ups.

Jelly @ 11/13/2013 6:51 AM

Dennis, Jail vs. Prison?????? they are there because they broke the law. It's not a vacation....................

Chief Bob @ 11/13/2013 7:01 AM

Wow! A lot of non-LEOs on this posting. Let's look at stats. When the offenders don't have steak and lobster for dinner, in cell big screen TVs, a complete law library, and the ability to hang with their homies, they probably don't want to come back. My bet is the the amount of recidivism in Maricopa County is pretty low. A lot come to California to get Jerry Brown's Club Med style prisons.

James @ 11/13/2013 7:06 AM

As much as I like Joe, I think he is doing damage to his credibility. The morons who did that should get extra time for damaging Government property, but bread and water gets him into a cruel and unusual punishment scenario that could lead to his demise. Much of what he has done is sound, but every once in a while he gets a little out there trying to gain attention.

CLF bread has no nutrients as it is a dead food, you might look that up, todays bread is trash.
Desecration of the flag makes me ill, but it is a piece of material not a human life, and we need to understand this fact. Most of our flags are made in CHINA today, how unpatriotic is that? Our sworn enemy is making our flags?
It seems people get into emotional states of mind and forget reason and officer are no different. At then end of the day we need to remember who we are and quit getting wrapped up in highly emotional defenses and arguments. We are the enforcers of law and civility, not a sewing circle gathering.

James @ 11/13/2013 7:15 AM

Chief Bob we agree, but Joe's actions border on the silly. In many ways he is my hero, but lately he has slid into a attention whore mode which damages his credibility. Frankly I am all for chain gangs to do road work and other manual labor jobs, not that it helps reduce costs, but more importantly it reduces recidivism in a great way. Most criminals are essentially lazy and won't bother to work, and a chain gang is far harder to work than McDonalds and they know this. It is high time that every state adopts the death penalty and work gangs issuing hard labor to reduce the chance of the morons coming back into the system. There is more work than we have prisoners in the entire system to do it. So why do we molly coddle the morons? I would even allow first time offenders escape a chain gang but only if they are tasked with serving food and water and medical supplies to those who work on the gangs, so the first timer can see whats coming next time he acts a fool. A real scared straight..

Pup @ 11/13/2013 7:40 AM

I support Sheriff Joe. I dare you libs to find out what Mexico and other countries serve their prisoners. I'm serious. Take a look into the Puerto Rico jails, Turkey etc. Some don't even get to have meals served. They're immediately executed....Be safe

Chuck in KC @ 11/13/2013 7:41 AM

Why is this dolt doing everything he can to get thrown out of office? The Supreme Court already ruled that Freedom of Speech and Expression covers flag descretion. Bread and water has been ruled Inhumane Punishment.

We should start a pool on how long it will take to remove Joe from his office.

Pup @ 11/13/2013 7:45 AM

One other thing I left out. What about our men and women in the service who fight for our country. They're given MRE's. They may not be bread and water but pretty damn close. So, why don't the libs say anything about our war vets getting 3 square meals a day? God Bless America

Boston @ 11/13/2013 7:50 AM

Lenny go find another place to play! This is what they should be doing to do the Boston marathon bomber. I'm tired of hearing we should treat all people the same, be compassionate, and understanding...

Jenann @ 11/13/2013 8:04 AM

First, I'm not a LEO, just a regular USC. From reading, I don't think Joe did anything wrong, and I bet if you asked him, he would tell you the reason he announced it to the public was 1) he believes he is right to punish the rule breakers, especially after they were warned; and 2) if he DID NOT announce it and the media found out, the first thing they would say would be: "IF HE (Joe) THOUGHT HE WAS RIGHT TO DO THIS, WHY DID HE NOT INFORM THE PUBLIC OR WAS HE TRYING TO HIDE IT?" This is crazy - I agree with a lot of the people above saying he was right in what he did AND YES, I wish other jails/ prisons would follow suit! Just my thoughts.

tedb @ 11/13/2013 8:06 AM

I'm an Arpaio supporter from way back, but I have to agree with James that Joe might be going overboard on the publicity thing right now. Moves like this are s#*t magnets for the libs and the idiot judges who support them and can hurt the cause overall.

David Sears @ 11/13/2013 8:34 AM

We should see if there is a grant that would allow us to clone Joe. I can see several areas of the U.S. that needs his help!

patrick @ 11/13/2013 8:53 AM

Good for him. Inmates are there for a reason, part should be to learn what's "right and wrong", apparently they have not learned this yet. As to those whom think bread and water is a bad thing; nobody told them to violate the rule, they did it all on their own. At what point do we begin
to hold the individual responsible ?

Grant @ 11/13/2013 8:56 AM

Obviously many of you dont work inside a Correctional Facility... In today's age, it is very rare to find an Administrator that is all about security and actually punishing the Inmates for their Crimes.... Give em Hell Joe!!!!!

Willis @ 11/13/2013 9:04 AM

It's not just plan bread its called nutraloaf it has all the calories as any other meal. The prison system had been doing it for years. And if u don't like how there being treated go bond them out.

Commander G. Terry @ 11/13/2013 9:04 AM

I've been in law enforcement since 1971and served in many positions including State Prisons. We've tried most everything to try to discipline inmates / convicts as I call them. I admire the sheriff for his dedication to his community and oath. We need more like him to make a difference in our country that has become shameless an disrespectful almost evil. God help enforcement officers and service men and women . My hat is off to you Sheriff. your comrade Commander G. Terry

Shelby Taglio @ 11/13/2013 10:33 AM

Worked it for 20 years, , got very little respect. Thanks Sheriff

Francisco Cruz @ 11/13/2013 10:42 AM

I am retired this days, however what Joe is doing is called cruel and unusual punishment. The Feds.are watching him.

DCW @ 11/13/2013 12:25 PM

I find it truly amazing how the liberal side of our society find it okay for these animals to prey upon society, the weak and infirm, those that can't defend themselves from the beasts. and them jump to the defense of these animals claiming it is cruel and inhumane for someone to hold them accountable and not allow them to continue being animals. There are a multitude of people, good people that do without even bread and water on a consistent basis, these are good hard working, honest people. Yet you defend the animals that would just as soon steal the bread from the mouths of these innocent victims they casually prey on and wind up going to jail for it.

DCW @ 11/13/2013 12:25 PM

These animals spit on the law, spit on society, spit on the flag and the constitution, yet you liberal ........ defend them. chuck in KC, try destroying the flag in front of me buddy, I did my time in the Marines, no one gets to disrespect the flag and Constitution around me, especially not some animal in prison that has already shown they care nothing for our country, our flag and our citizens. Francisco, you are a tool. feed them dirt for all I care, until you want to be a productive member of society, you get nothing.

Jelly @ 11/13/2013 12:36 PM

Well put DCW..........Thank You for your service.

Milan @ 11/13/2013 2:53 PM

Joe does an AWESOME job! The inmates are there by choice. If they don't want bread and water, don't go to jail. I know many people that have been to Joes jail ONCE, they straighten up so they never have to go back. Excellent crime deterrent.

Bob@Az. @ 11/13/2013 9:14 PM

Dennis, "unsentenced detainees"? Really? I must of missed something somewhere. Most, by the way, are in transit to reguler prison facilitys after appearing before a Judge. And chuck in KC, are you for real? Please stay in KC where there is no crime or jails. Blues, Stay Safe.

john @ IA retired @ 11/14/2013 10:13 AM

Cruel and unusual???? These prisoners probably can walk around all day and don't have to worry about an IED killing them or removing limbs from their bodies. Ask family members of those killed in action or men & women coming back to our country with body parts missing if bread and water is cruel and unusual punishment. Drop some of these inmates into the middle east to defend our country. I'll just bet that they would rather be back with Joe getting bread and water.

Josh @ 11/14/2013 10:31 AM

GO JOE!! Joe is crazy I admit, but a good crazy!! This is JAIL! These people committed crimes and through their own actions came to this place. Clearly they need some lessons in life. I really wish more jails were structured even close to the way Joe runs his. Can you imagine the money we would save? Talk about an incentive to not go back!

Trigger @ 11/14/2013 10:47 AM

Way to go Joe, keep up the good work.

LEE RAGER @ 11/14/2013 12:14 PM

These Per se inmates should get treated like some 3rd world country's do - there family comes and feeds them or they go hungry - period - my taxes to house someone who is of criminal intent pure BS..

JAM @ 11/26/2013 12:15 PM

As far as I'm concerned, Joe gave fair warning. I recently had the opportunity to visit Mount Vermont then Gettysburg. What a history lesson and a new found appreciation and pride for the U.S. flag and patriotism for our Country. All I can say is - don't commit crimes, get caught, complain about your jail time or food, and don't mess with our flag...

ted @ 12/13/2013 8:16 AM

Joe is a good man who cares about his country. Go Joe I for one think you are doing a dam good job. Thank you .

David Evans @ 12/26/2013 6:03 PM

Greetings again from Aus. As a serving LEO I regularly read copies of Police Magazine as it gives a different perspective on Policing. The good Sheriff I think is stepping over the line by insisting on prisoners having the Flag in their cells. Instead of punishing those who object, how about ask prisoners if they wish to participate in the Veterans Day and reward those who do. And by reward I don't mean luxury, obviously. By the way, can anyone tell me if Sheriffs in AZ are elected to their positions? If so, one can't but wonder if these somewhat jaw-dropping actions by JA are more geared to re-election by appealing to the electorate rather than correctly managing the prison system. One final question....Is this Sheriff accountable to anyone in Government?
Regards, David Evans