Video: Bystanders Watch Assault of Philly Transit Cop

October 02, 2013  |

VIDEO: Bystanders Watch Assault of Philly Transit Cop

About 40 onlookers watched a fare jumper assault a SEPTA transit officer last week, and one woman recorded the fight on her cell phone rather than calling 9-1-1.

The assault was also captured on video surveillance cameras at the Cecil B. Moore station near Temple University. SEPTA Police Chief Thomas Nestel told Fox News he was horrified by the incident. "I'm frightened for my cops," he said.

Officer Samuel Washington responded to a ticket booth operator's call after spotting a man suspected of a ticket scam. The officer spotted the man, who tackled the officer and forced him behind a station bench. The man assaulted the officer who was trapped behind the bench.

During an interview with a Philly.com columnist, Chief Nestel said the public "needs to know that we need their help."

Tags: Transit Officers, Assaults on Officers, Video Surveillance, Citizen Involvement

Paul Kamprath @ 10/2/2013 12:25 PM

This story is a sad commentary on our society in general. Had this happened in my presence I would have been there for the LEO. I may be in my sixtys, but I am not afraid of helping when needed.

Lenny @ 10/2/2013 2:51 PM

I the police wonder why no one helped, simply check out the story below. Five officers and a dog are required to arrest a man for using his mouth weapons. You guys have brought this upon yourselves for decades of militarization, arrogance and a complete lack of respect for the public. You have decided to treat everyone as the enemy and then expect to rescue you when in trouble. I certainly would not have helped this officer, and if I would have tried to help Castellani as a good citizen should I probably would have been shot. You may get back our respect and our help when you show through your deeds you deserve it.

Adam @ 10/2/2013 6:45 PM

Lenny if you don't respect LEO's don't bother calling us when you need us!

Terry Ely @ 10/3/2013 10:01 AM

Lenny, remember that the next time you are getting assaulted for something YOUR big disrespectful mouth got you in trouble for. The first person you want to call is the POLICE.
We do treat people the way they treat us. The problem is there are people out there like YOU that no matter what officer you look at you stereotype yourself and in your sub conscious you know that in your past you've done something wrong and had a bad experience with us trying to straighten you out.

Rojo @ 10/3/2013 3:44 PM

Lenny, you are whats wrong with society. Help the fellow man, Officer or not, he needed help. I would charge your dumb ass for not helping, and here in Va, if an Officer asks a citizen for help, they can be charged for not assisting. Ive had citizens help me make arrests before, and I was very appreciative. Otherwise, I might have been injured or worse.

Richard @ 10/3/2013 4:00 PM

Really? I'd like to think better of our Southern citizens at least. That's really sad that not one brave individual could do anything other than video record the event. To Lenny? What can I say that would change your already jaded mind? Nothing but I will remark anyway. Sure some Officers do not offer enough respect to citizens, no organization is perfect. However, you will not find a larger group of individuals anywhere that would do whatever it takes to save and/or protect you even after your remarks if you were in need and we were there. To Paul, the right thing to do and you can bet once some of the other by standers saw your courage they would more than likely assist as well. It just takes one doing the right thing for others to follow.

bob retired leo @ 10/3/2013 4:39 PM

In my 20 years of service, I treated all that I encountered with respect. When I left even the people I arrested came to say goodbye. I was told that I treated them fairly and with respect. I even received apologies for their behavior. Our society has degenerated so much, there is no respect for anyone or anything including the police. There should be laws that if you fail to assist an officer when he is in trouble, such as videoing the assault, where you have the ability to call 911 or an appropriate number, you can be charged with at least a misdemeanor. Hope the officer recovers .

bob retired leo @ 10/3/2013 4:42 PM

I firmly believe that what goes around comes around. One day these morons taking pictures will be getting assaulted or robbed and instead of calling a cop, the observers will be filming them being beaten.

Chuck @ 10/3/2013 4:44 PM

I will take my chances without you lenny, thanks anyway but I have no use for folks like you. truth be told I expect less from someone with your attitude than I do from a dumb beast of burden or other animal.

Big Moe @ 10/3/2013 10:47 PM

Well its clear you have had a bad encounter, but truth be told like most fools its everybody else's fault. Nobody wants to touch it until its in there own back yard. wow city of brotherly love my foot. This is a brother in need of help, police or no police ,we do the right thing.

Jackjumpin @ 10/3/2013 11:41 PM

No brotherly love in Philly. NOT everyone here is or was in Law enforcement some people here to spy and snoop for information to help them beat the system by learning about us, our techniques and equipment, and scams from other parts of country. They always insure they are heard. I am always there to help and will even help Lenny because if you honor your oath then that is what you do. In 18 months the World Police and Fire games will be held in Fairfax Virginia, about 14,000 first responders in the Philly DC area to spread tourist $ around. Not too sure if people will be eager to go to Philly to support the economy if the local folks aren’t supportive of their first responders. How the world views a city is based on the word that is broadcasted out of it. My prayers for the Officer may he hold no bitterness, I hope the woman videoing never needs help while someone is videoing her. Officers and Deputies keep your filters on up here, they let anyone read and comment.

Matt @ 10/4/2013 5:17 AM

Lenny, typical internet tough guy. Probably would have pissed himself at the sight of it.

S.S. @ 10/4/2013 5:56 AM

Philadelphia ought to be ashamed of themselves. Especially all those turds that watched it and did nothing. You people are pathetic. Please when something happens to you don't bother calling US!!! lenny you have no business on this sight.You are truly a piece of chicken sh*t coward if that's what you think.

John @ 10/4/2013 6:02 AM

With the comments of leo's to Lenny they only give meaning to his post.

Tony Machuca @ 10/4/2013 8:33 AM

To Lenny~ Law enforcement is a dirty job. There is no "nice" way to arrest a potentailly dangerous, combative suspect. The police are societies bodyguards, hired fists, batons and yes guns. They are paid to do the dirty work of protecting society, the work YOU are too afraid, to unskilled or too civilized to do yourself. You expect officers to keep the bad guys out of your businesses, cars and houses, out of your face. You want them to "take care of the problem", but YOU just don't want to see how it's done!

Capt. Crunch @ 10/4/2013 10:42 AM

Most of your low lifes (like Lenny) hang out at transit stations for different types of crime. It would be to the departments best interest to double the patrol at the transit stations because LEO's can not depend on the public for support.

Joe @ 11/20/2013 8:13 AM

You need to show a higher quality video than that. In spite of what is being asserted I did not see anyone other than the two people in the video. Why is the picture so distorted? I have taken videos off a cheap ($40) GE camera that are much higher quality than that. Cecil B. Moore station is the station where Temple University is located. The platforms are frequently wall to wall people, and the area is undergoing gentrification, someone would have helped.