Compression Tactical Bra - Cheata Tactical
Patented technology is designed to provide the stability of 2-3 sports bras,...

Ind. Officer Killed Trying to Save Woman

September 20, 2013  |

Photo courtesy of IMPD.
Photo courtesy of IMPD.
A decorated Indianapolis Metro Police officer was shot and killed early Friday after kicking in the door at a domestic call when he heard a woman screaming for help.

Officer Rod Bradway, 41, had responded to Eagle Pointe Apartments on the city's northwest side at about 2 a.m. with another officer. When he heard a woman's screams, Officer Bradway kicked in an apartment door.

A man later identified as 24-year-old Steven Byrdo was hiding behind a door and ambushed the officer. The second officer exchanged multiple rounds with Byrdo, shooting and killing him.

Byrdo was released from prison in June after a conviction for dealing cocaine. He has previous arrests for public intoxication, disorderly conduct, dealing and possession of marijuana, and carrying a handgun without a license, reports the Indianapolis Star.

The woman's 10-month old child was in the home at the time and was unharmed. Officer Bradway leaves behind a wife and two children.

Trigger @ 9/20/2013 12:37 PM

Brother Rod, Thank you for your service. May the Good Lord hold you and your family close. Rest in peace

MC @ 9/20/2013 12:48 PM

Officer Bradway; a hometown hero. My thoughts and prayers go out to the officer's family, especially his wife and children. May god give his wife strength and understanding to carry on and raise her family.

chuck @ 9/20/2013 12:49 PM

I love you brother, I'll miss you. Godspeed to your family. Glad to hear the woman and her baby are still alive. I hope you rot in hell you POS

TERRY F. ZECH @ 9/20/2013 12:49 PM

Rest in peace officer Bradway. You gave your all for someone else. Your partner backed you and got the job done. My sincere condolences to your family and to your department. Godspeed as you now patrol the streets of gold.

Steve @ 9/20/2013 1:45 PM

Once again, the ultimate price (paid by such a tiny percentage of our population) to hold back the rising tide of scum. RIP Brother and damn glad the POS who took your life is dead, good shooting!

Steven @ 9/20/2013 1:53 PM

There is no greater love than this/to lay your life down for another. May the Lord bless and keep you and your family in His loving arms.

Crystal @ 9/20/2013 2:14 PM

Godspeed my brother in blue--your sacrifice will not be forgotten. My heart and my prayers go out to your wife, children, family & friends, and all of your "family" under the badge.

Audrey @ 9/20/2013 2:30 PM

We are the brothers and sisters in blue who run towards chaos and harm when all others would flee.
Bless you brother, may God hold your wife and children in the difficult days to come.
God speed and rest easy sir.

House @ 9/20/2013 4:10 PM

as I type a goodbye to you Officer, I find myself crying. I'm so sorry this had to happen to you. I wish I could change places with you. I have no family you see. I hope yours will be taken care of by the almighty and your brothers/sisters. Thank you for your bravery, your sacrifice and your honor. you may have saved that families' life. Rest easy now brother. I hope your killer rots in hell.

Nick @ 9/20/2013 6:07 PM

Thank you for your service sir and God bless.

perry bollum @ 9/20/2013 8:02 PM

God Bless You Brother!!! Thank you for your bravery and being a REAL COP.

Luis M @ 9/21/2013 2:15 AM

Among our country's finest! Thank you so much. God bless your family and you my brother officer, your stairway to heaven is up ahead.

S.S. @ 9/21/2013 6:56 AM

R.I.P. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family and community.

Jim B. @ 9/21/2013 8:28 AM

A true hero. Rest in peace Officer Bradway.

adil @ 9/21/2013 9:14 AM

may god bless you officer !!!
a police man from morocco

C.CALLOWAY @ 9/21/2013 8:08 PM

BEHIND MY BADGE IS A HEART LIKE YOURS. I BLEED, I THINK, I LOVE, AND YES I CAN BE KILLED.AND ALL THOUGH I AM BUT ONE MAN, I HAVE THOUSANDS OF BROTHERS AND SISTERS WHO WOULD DIE FOR ME AND I FOR THEM. WE STAND WATCH TOGETHER. I AM FATE WITH A BADGE AND A GUN. THE THIN BLUE LINE, PROTECING THE PREY FROM THE PREDATORS, THE GOOD FROM THE BAD.
WE ARE THE POLICE....Rest in peace Officer Bradway, God bless your family.

r

garyjansen @ 9/22/2013 4:15 PM

BLESSIT ARE THOSE WHO MOURN THEY WILL BE COMFORT BLESSIT ARE THOSE WHO WORK FOR PEACE THEY ARE GODSCHILDRENMAY HIS SOUL
AND ALOF THE DEPARTED RESTINPEACE ALL MANGARY

NJmotorcop @ 9/23/2013 5:20 PM

RIP brother!
God bless his family and brother officers.