Video: Bitten Ore. Officer Slaps Boy

August 06, 2013  |

VIDEO: Bitten Ore. Officer Slaps Boy

A Eugene (Ore.) Police officer appears to slap a 10-year-old boy who bit him during a custody dispute while the officer was attempting to return the child to his father.

The incident, which was captured on cellphone video, began at about 6 p.m. Sunday when officers responded to a child custody dispute at Monroe Street Park.

Officers learned the boy was in the custody of his mother, 28-year-old Stephanie Johnston, in violation of a court order awarding full custody to father, 32-year-old Brian Wolfe, reports Lane Today.

Officers briefly chased the boy, who is believed to be illiterate, and took custody of him. While returning the boy to his father, an officer was bit on the arm. The officer then appears to backhand the boy.

Tags: Excessive Force, Child Custody, Eugene (Ore.) PD

Trevor @ 8/6/2013 2:41 PM

Oh you have to love those citizens that know the law so well. I guess they forgot that it is illegal in most states to curse or swear in the presence of a minor. I guess an officer couldn't use for e against a minor with a knife or a gun either? Idiots. Thank you for doing your job officer.

Bob @ VA @ 8/6/2013 2:47 PM

The brat got what he deserved. Apparently nobody else took time to teach the boy manners. They need to learn early that actions have consequences.

Williker @ 8/6/2013 2:53 PM

Apparently that is the first time the child has ever been physically disciplined.

Mark @ 8/6/2013 3:19 PM

It takes a community to raise a child...

fred @ 8/6/2013 3:25 PM

Remind me to never move to this community these are some evil and disrespectful people toward law enforcement.

Kim @ 8/6/2013 3:35 PM

Unfortunately, this probably won't be the last time these disrespectful brats will ever have to deal with law enforcement. It's obvious their parents haven't disciplined them, so now the criminal justice system will have too.

mototjock @ 8/6/2013 3:36 PM

The idiot that took the cam footage should get his facts straight before jumping to conclusions. This little kid got what he deserved and should have gotten a lot more from his father. When kids were going up in the 50 and 60's this was common practice by teachers, parents and we didn't have the problems with the juveniles of today. It's time to go back in time and have reasonable discipline

WSWEBER @ 8/6/2013 4:08 PM

I'm about 100% unconcerned with the actions of the officer. He did what most parents would do if a 10 year old bit them. I'm more concerned with this part of the article "Officers briefly chased the boy, who is believed to be illiterate..." At first, I was asking myself WTF the illiterate part had to do with anything. Now I think is has alot to do with everything...because it's an indicator of the conditions this kid is being raised in by his "Parents" or lack there of. Why is he going back to either if his lack of rearing and education is enough to even mention in the article. At this rate, in a few years he'll just be another feral child waiting his turn for a life sentence.

CHRISTO @ 8/6/2013 4:37 PM

Where is the fathers side of the story? We had to go to Reddit to find it, Im sure that it makes sense they he is in hiding from the clearly imbalanced people in this video.
So I found this on Reddit written by the man who claims to be the father, http://www.reddit.com/r/Eugene/comments/1jsxgs/before_the_video_custody_dispute/
It sounds like the claims that he is not the father i moot and if he IS not the father then the mother is clearly guilty of federal crimes, child support fraud, welfare fraud. Im sure a few others, I truly hope that the Eugene DCS and DHS continue their investigation into this family. And make sure that everyone is safe on all sides.

This is clearly not the first time this woman has had children taken from her according to this news article from Oregon Live http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2009/03/virginia_bring_those_kids_home.html So the real question to oregon DHS is WHY does she still have any children at all?

CHRISTO @ 8/6/2013 4:38 PM

CHRISTO @ 8/6/2013 4:40 PM

Grog @ 8/6/2013 5:07 PM

If he'd have bit me, he would have never been able to bite someone again...

It amazes me that people raise animals, then get all riled up when somone HAS to use force against those animals. If you raise your children well, they won't be slapped by cops or anyone else for that matter.

CT LEO RET @ 8/6/2013 5:47 PM

The officer did nothing wrong!!!!!!!!!

bob retired leo @ 8/6/2013 6:12 PM

So whats the big deal? The neighborhood cop when I grew up would give you a shot with the nightstick (baton) , when you were bad and for goodness sake it was far better then him telling your parents and getting your behind beat at home. I hope before that kid bites again, hell remember that slap in the face. Its called tough love. Its also called assault on an LEO.

Lenny @ 8/6/2013 8:21 PM

So Grog, Are you saying you would have shot a young boy for biting you or just punched his teeth out? And to even suggest that cops only slap bad people is laughable. For bob retired leo has it escaped your notice that hitting someone with a baton for being "bad" and not reporting it is illegal. Waiting for Bob@AZ to blame this on Obama.

Bob@Az. @ 8/6/2013 9:04 PM

lenny (of :Mice & Men"?) Are you finished ? You seem to be one of those wusses who bitch about LEOs' being nasty until you're hiding in your closet awaiting your rescue by those very same nasties? I'm betting your not in Law Enforcement or anything to do with protecting the populace. Blues, Stay Safe.

Mark @ 8/6/2013 9:33 PM

It looked like a perfectly executed "Control Slap" to me. Isn't it part of the standard control holds taught and approved in the academy? If not, It should be. If someone bites mange, that's gonna be my natural reaction.

Jim @ 8/6/2013 11:42 PM

Much ado about nothing.

bitty @ 8/7/2013 2:43 AM

i am all for what the officer did has anyone thought about if this brat drew blood and had hiv it is a good thing it was not me he would have thought twice before he did it again or how ever long it took for his teeth to grow back. GOOD FOR YOU OFFICER

Steve @ 8/7/2013 8:17 AM

Obviously the "tap" that the officer gave this kid worked. He didn't try to bite him again. Maybe the weak court system in this country should try "consequences for wrong actions" some time. It might actually help the current problem we're having.
And why did the videographer think that the swat this kid got was any worse than him having to listen to her foul mouth for several minutes. Sheesh, are all the citizens of Eugene Oregon like this group? I especially liked the guy who was obviously in the distance hollaring at the LEOs...real coward. Probably had numerous warrants or stoned or both!
Good job LEOs, keeping your composure under these conditions!

Chuck in K.C. @ 8/7/2013 9:21 AM

I agree with everyone else so far: Much ado about nothing.

bob retired leo @ 8/7/2013 11:36 PM

LENNY: For bob retired leo has it escaped your notice that hitting someone with a baton for being "bad" and not reporting it is illegal.....my reply....Junior I was in a different time and place in the '60s and we respected the POLICE. We weren't beaten with the nightstick we were tapped on the behind and told to be good or else your parents would find out. Show me what law says its illegal to tap me on the behind with a nightstick....OK.....I'm calling NYC to press charges for assault by Mike the cop in the early "60s , open the cold case files....Its just one of the reasons, because of Mike I became a cop. I would take the shot on the behind rather then have my folks find out I was into mischief. It was a different time with different people. So how long have you been a cop Lenny? Zero years sounds about right. Now get your smart phone out there and keep taking those anti cop videos.

Miss Carolyn Harshaw @ 8/8/2013 2:49 PM

I'm not in the least concerned about this overreacted video that Journalist have sensationalised! The Officer simply tapped the little bad---child when visiting his mother. Why would she even tell/put her child in the middle of a Court Ordered Judgment? Clearly there is something Mentally wrong wth the mother of these children... I'm from Cincinnati : but reside in Roseville Macomb County , Michigan and I really didn't understand why the Journalist kept-repeating the statement .. Some time's these Journalist need to go and find a real news story to tell. Because this was so planed by the mother and others to make the Father and anyone that got in the way of her plan for money.... Find out why the Judge ordered these children in the care of their Father and you might be surprised!

bman @ 8/10/2013 7:56 AM

Wow, Im here to tell you that the moron with the camera would have been arrested for obstruction due to making it far more difficult to focus my attention on a kid that is combative/resistive. As far as the slight slap goes, I just asked 2 adults who are non-leos what they would do if 7 to 10 year old latches on to them. Slapping was the least they would do is their answer. Good job officer. Hopefully dad gives him an additional lesson in proper behavior.