Video: Calif. Officer Shoots Lunging Dog

July 02, 2013  |

VIDEO: Calif. Officer Shoots Lunging Dog

A Hawthorne (Calif.) Police officer shot and killed a man's Rottweiler after the dog lunged at a fellow officer who was arresting his master. The graphic incident was filmed by onlookers and posted to YouTube.

The shooting occurred at 5:44 p.m. Sunday after a standoff between police and armed robbery suspects near the intersection of 137th Street and Jefferson Avenue. Hawthorne PD officers used the agency's tactical vehicle and loud-speaker system.

Officers handcuffed Leon Rosby, 52, after he walked close to the scene with an 80-pound Rottweiler on a long leash-line, creating "an increasingly dangerous situation," according to a Hawthorne PD statement.

Officers approached Rosby, who they later said was interfering with the situation by approaching officers and playing loud music from a vehicle. Rosby placed his dog in the rear of his car. Officers approached Rosby and placed him in handcuffs.

The dog jumped out of the car's rear window and when it made "aggressive movements" toward the officers, one officer fearing the dog would bite him drew his weapon and fatally shot the dog.

Tags: Animals Gone Wild, Hawthorne (Calif.) PD, Standoffs, Hawthorne Dog Shooting

rick @ 7/2/2013 10:44 AM

Bullshit, taze it.

didi @ 7/2/2013 11:29 AM

I wouldn't risk it either. Our safety first.

Sam @ 7/2/2013 11:31 AM

Im a cop, i wouldnt have shot the dog. Tazer

Josh @ 7/2/2013 11:33 AM

Pepper Spray, Taze, Kick, that was a pussy move. He deserves to get his ass beat. I would have done it if I would have been a bystander. but then again he might have shot me for doing that.

Vicente @ 7/2/2013 1:38 PM

Use Of Force (UOF) step continuum is a standard we are all universally taught in law enforcement which teaches us that deadly force is used when a LEO is in fear of imminent deadly force about to be used or is being used against them. Now, we also know as cops that a situation can be fluid and jump from one level, skip others to another level in the UOF continuum in an instant. At first blush, my questions in observing this video: Was pepper spray deployed? Was there a Taser available? If so, why wasn't it deployed? If available, was there not enough reaction time to use less than lethal force (Taser/pepper spray) that the LEO felt that deadly force was the best option in the situation? An AAR (After Action Review) must be conducted to determine not blame, but if the situation was handled optimally or not. And if not, solutions, policy and training to avoid a repeat of this incident need to be implemented.

J. Wilis, Esq. @ 7/2/2013 2:58 PM

That is bullshit and illegal. That cop needs to be disciplined and arrested and/or sued by his owner. You piece of shit Officer Solomon

J. Wilis, Esq. @ 7/2/2013 2:59 PM

That Officer needs to be arrested, disciplined and/or sued. Where is Stephen Yagman when we need him??

JoJo @ 7/2/2013 3:17 PM

Maybe moron should of let the cops do their business and not interfered. He is at fault for his dog being dead, no one else.

M. Little @ 7/2/2013 3:21 PM

Piece of shit? Fired? Seriously man - what are you talking about. The officer felt the dog was a threat....one of the most dangerous breed of dogs....and used what tool he felt needed to be used against that threat. He could have used another method, but we were not present...did not see his view and cannot say anything else about it except our opinion of what we see. And its not illegal to shoot an aggressive dog in most states. Agreed, safety should have been a consideration....but again, we did not see his view (field of fire).

Chuck @ 7/2/2013 3:23 PM

Hey lawyer dude, your the one thats a POS. Have you ever had a dog come after you ? I was walking my GSD and had an 80 pitbull come after me. The pit had my dog around her neck. I drew my weapon and shot, unfortunatly i grazed,my dogs hip. Thank god shes ok, but you only have 1.5 seconds to make a decision do i fire or not. You sir are a liberal ASSHOLE

RLS @ 7/2/2013 3:24 PM

I must say that as an officer it isn't my responsibility to be harmed or killed, when it can be avoided. Obviously pepper spray isn't the best in this situation due to the dog already being aggressive and in close range and little time or room for reaction, and the taser if available may not have bee effective, considering you normally get one shot. The dog can cause instant and permanent damage with one well placed bite. Deadly force is justified in my opinion. had the handler not interfered in a situation that appeared to be under control but still potentially violent the dog would still be alive. I put the owner/dog handler at fault considering the animal has no understanding of what was going on. If Mr. know it all wanted to see action on the situation he should have fallowed normal complaint procedures and reported the incident to the dept. he had his video evidence, no need for his actions. Good job LEO's1

henry Johnson @ 7/2/2013 4:18 PM

I have only watched the video and I was not present. From what I know, Hawthorne PD was at the location on an armed robbery investigation. Additionally, a possible victim was also in the house in question. Why did this man have to be at the location? Why did he have to blast his music and delay the felony investigation? Did this person leave enough of his window open, knowingly the dog would protect his master? It appeared the officer tried to grabbed the dog first, and subsequently went to his firearm to protect his fellow officers. An Officer Involved Shooting will be conducted (AAR? Hawthorne is in Los Angeles County). It is possible the DA shooting Team will respond (not always with animals).
It is so easy to "Monday Night Quarterback." The bottom line is most responders to this discussion was not there.
The bottom line is it appears the dog needed a better master.

Russ @ 7/2/2013 4:23 PM

I feel bad for the dog. Unfortunately his owner is a nosy, stupid, dumbass. He definitely needed to be arrested. Just in case anyone else thought it'd be a good idea to get that close to the scene. The cars aren't the border, they're supposed to show you where NOT to be.

pup @ 7/2/2013 4:28 PM

As an ex handler, I will be the first to say the POS was the first to start the incident. He caused the effects of the incident and the lost of his K9. As for Yagman, he's in prison where most likely he was your cell mate. As for the officers, the situation could have been handled in a different manner. The dog didn't become aggressive until the officer reached to either grab for the lead or the dogs collar. I don't know what the officer's intent was at the time. What I saw, the officers should have put the POS into the radio car with a rear guard protecting officers in the event the dog became agressive. However, they allowed the POS to keep yapping his mouth while all of you huddled around the dog.
The incident turned out bad because of the POS and the rest of you idiots standing around causing LE to be put into this type of situation. First of all, the POS should have mind his own business. There was no need for him to do what he did. Why didn't you idiots tell the POS to back away and leave the cops alone? Why didn't you bystanders tell the guy to roll up his windows? Why didn't you tell the POS to get in his car and leave? Did you idiots know this POS has had prior incidents with LE and has been a constant problem? Did you know the POS threathen the officers in the past with his dog? Of course not. All of you are just as much the blame and studpid as the POS. The dog is dead because of you idiots.
Now, instead of harrassing cops, get a job, stop living off tax payers and mind your own business.

N/A @ 7/2/2013 4:38 PM

I watched this video from the beginning to end sad when people cops feel they are above the law

Dan @ 7/2/2013 4:51 PM

Ok. Clearly, this wonderful "citizen" was doing everything he could to get himself arrested. It would be nice to hear what he was saying to the officers that made them approach. And the "citizen" knew he did something to provoke them because he immediately turns around and places his hands behind his back. This tells me had a plan of some sort. I heard something about "civil rights violation." He was clearly trying to create a situation where he thought he could build build a case for himself to file a worthless lawsuit. Now, with that said, the dog came out of the car. There was 13 seconds from the time the dog was out until shots fired. They could have sprayed the dog with that much time. If the dog continues to attack, then use lethal force. YOU NEVER TASE a dog!!! Because unlike a person who will comply and give up after a few cycles, a dog will immediately be violent as soon as the 5 second cycle ends. The dog will not sit still and behave if it gets TASED.

Dan @ 7/2/2013 4:52 PM

Additionally, I do not believe the officers were offended by the "citizen" filming them. In a few shots, the guys filming with their cell zoom out. You can clearly see there are three people filming the scene. The "citizen", the two guys, and a third male who appears on the far left of the incident, well out of the way. The officers could have put up yellow tape, but like it was said early, if this was a search warrant/arrest warrant, my department does not set up yellow tape for service of warrant. Something happened where the "citizen" knew he was going to be contacted by the officers, so he put his dog away, walked toward the officers, and then turned around and put his hands behind his back. I was actually waiting for resistance. "Why you arresting me? What did I do. Get you hands off me. I'm innocent." this is what I was expecting. Or maybe this guy was the ideal "citizen" and knew it is the law to comply with LEO orders, who knows. Fact is, this guy clearly had an agenda, pushing the envelop with where he was walking and filming, the comments he was making in regards to race and civil rights, and putting his dog away as soon as the officers approached. I honestly believe he wanted to get arrested so he could later file a lawsuit. He just didn't think about what his dog would do when he got arrested.

Dan @ 7/2/2013 5:14 PM

Here is a second video. As always, there is more to the story than what gets out to the media.

This guys stops right in the middle of the road and stares at all the officers in the street. "Hey what's going on? Maybe I'll just park right here in the middle of the street and stare. I hope I dont get shot. Oh wait, I can hear they are on a PA giving orders or commands. Let me blast my music so the officers have some jams to chill to while they try and do their job. Better yet, lemme park my car and get out and yell at these guys while they are workin'. They aren't that busy, they only have eight units here. If they were busy there would be at least 10 units."

Sounds like what any normal "citizen" would do if they saw a bunch of cops blocking the entire street, right?
Attorney Michael Gulden said his client Leon Rosby was watching and taking video of the Hawthorne SWAT team when police claimed Rosby was obstructing officers during the barricade.

Dan @ 7/2/2013 5:14 PM

Rosby, 52, is seen in video footage walking with Max, his two-year-old Rottweiler, near several patrol cars to capture the scene on his phone. After an exchange with nearby officers, Rosby is heard saying the words, “civil rights violation” before returning the dog to his vehicle.

As officers begin to proceed toward Rosby, he also begins walking in the direction of the officers and is then taken into custody without any further exchange.

While Rosby is handcuffed, Max is seen escaping from the vehicle through an open rear window and then approaching the officers while barking. When one officer motions toward the animal, the dog is seen jumping up and toward the officer, at which point four shots were fired, according to Gulden. “He wasn’t just a dog,” Rosby said. “He’d lick on my face, lick on my hands.” Gulden said he plans to file a lawsuit against the Hawthorne Police Department.

Rosby has filed six previous complaints against Hawthorne police

Dan @ 7/2/2013 5:14 PM

Rosby has filed six previous complaints against Hawthorne police

Randy @ 7/2/2013 6:03 PM

That officer provoked the dog and ended up being a straight up beta pussy and was trigger happy. He is an embarassment to the badge and deserves to be shipped over to Syria so he can be dismissed.

Lenny @ 7/2/2013 6:42 PM

Perhaps the Lt. thought the dog was giving him "dehumanizing looks"(seems to be a problem in Florida these days)oh wait he is a dog. We should be thankful though, 30 years ago and 500 miles to the east our boys would have just shot the owner and claimed he was being uncooperative.

Off. Guppy @ 7/2/2013 6:47 PM

Randy you sir are an idiot. I would have shot the dog myself.

Josh @ 7/2/2013 8:06 PM

"loud music"? how come we didn't hear that in any videos? The man was clearly walking his dog and video taping. The officers recognized him as a man who has filed complaints and then lost their composure. They acted on revenge rather than as a professional. The man was at least 2 houses away and even had time to walk his dog into the car and then back to the same spot before the officers even made it. On top of that the officers acted in no sense of emergency and casually walked to the guy.

Are we now calling "aggressive" simply barking? The dog did not lunge at the officers. It ran up and started barking and when the officer tried to grab its leash (for some unknown idiotic reason) the dog backed off. If the dog was truely aggressive it would have attacked, not backed off. Once the dog backed off it was at that moment when the officer shot it.

Yes, clearly the guy provoked the officers. This is JOINTLY the result of a nosy citizen and poor quality police officers who lost their composure.

This man is a citizen. He is not a sworn in officer who is held to a higher standard of maintaining their composure and using just actions. These officers clearly did not like the man and this was an unwarranted action.

Anonymous @ 7/2/2013 8:24 PM

Fuck You Officer Solomon

Erik @ 7/2/2013 10:31 PM

A real officer of the law would have never done that that dog stopped when his owner said no the evidence is undeniable. You make me sick to be an American and I'm a fucking United States Marine Lcpl Greenfield 1546-7051. Officer Solomon come shoot my dog I dare you eff you officer Sir!

NaTasha @ 7/2/2013 10:37 PM

Hmmmm SIMILAR TO THE ZIMMERMAN CASE !!!!! HE FEARED HIS LIFE SO THEY FIRED !!!!!! JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON HE'S HUMAN.

Linda @ 7/2/2013 10:48 PM

that cop is lil bitch ass mother fucker. just die asshole youre not worth shit

Shield @ 7/2/2013 11:51 PM

Did you people watch the video that was posted? If you did, then you can clearly see the Dog guy man was testing the officers and he was being observed by other officers at the top right of the screen. It is hard to tell but I suspect the two officers that came down and made contact with Dog guy, had received some radio traffic about how this known individual who already had anti-police issues seemed to be encroaching on the area of their crime scene. Clearly Dog guy knew and/or had been warned about the dog because as soon as he was sure that he had the attention of the two officers, it was then, and only then that he "put the dog back into the vehicle". However; it appears to me, (and I was not there and I only have the viewpoint of the YouTube posting) that Dog guy left the window open knowing full well that his dog would egress from the car and cause some sort of scene and/or bite an officer. As far for should the officer have shot or not? If you've ever have an 80 lbs Rot running at you - how close are you going to let the dog get before you shoot? Those men and women are police officers not "dog whispers", how else were they to respond, just wait and see if the dog was going to bite? Or wait until Dog guy gave the command to attack? Until you've actually been there - shut the fuck up!

Lenny @ 7/3/2013 12:24 AM

@ Shield
Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.
Go get a juice-box and take a nap you're getting cranky.
Or have a Snickers.

Renee @ 7/3/2013 3:11 AM

I think that entire situation was a perfect example of just how wrong things can go from both ends...

Mike @ 7/3/2013 3:37 AM

...BS, the cops did NOT have to CAUSE this incident. The COPS did not have to cuff the man. The COPS did NOT have to shot the dog. The entire incident was caused by the COPS, they did NOT control the scean, and filming the sceen is LEGAL !!! ALL Cops involved must be charged with animal abuse, false arrest. All Cops involved need to be JAILED. This is not NAZI Germany...

Big Rob @ 7/3/2013 4:32 AM

^Mike^ Are you a total F-Tard, the dumbass got his dog killed by coming up to the scene* (Not Sceen) & taunting the Cops. You're right this isn't Nazi Germany because they burned books there, you must be from there because you can't type or spell worth crap. Go put your helmet back on & get back to licking windows or eating crayons.

Trigger @ 7/3/2013 4:47 AM

After watching both videos it is apparent that the police was not controlling this scene, there were kids skate boarding past the patrol cars, citizens all over the area. I did not see any officers acting as "crowd" control to keep citzens away. There were officers that made the approach to the house, there were "cover" officers next to their patrol cars, there were at least two officers standing on the street. My question is the citizen with the dog was no closer than several other individuals (there were two males standing next to the dog mans car, there were several citizens on the opposite side of the street standing infront of a house but yet the police felt it necessary to arrest the dog man. I have been in law enforcement for 35 years on the streets and have been video taped, photographed on numerous occassions. When the two arresting officers approached the dog man why not take a few minutes to talk to him, get him moving along with the others in the area. This was handled poorly along with shooting the dog. I have had the arrested person control their dog in the past on a lot more serious crimes that what this guy was arrested for. I hope Hawthorne has deep pockets as the dog man is going to be rich after this is settled.

Lt. Sal @ 7/3/2013 4:49 AM

I watched this on the evening news last night and there were many things that should not have happened. If the man wanted to film it to protect the civil rights of others as he said in the interview, then he should have parked his car properly and not left it in the street. he could have left the dog inside and kept the music down so as not to distract or draw attention to himself. That breed of dog is notorious for being violent and people in general are scared, some petrified. Cops are people too. Maybe they could have asked him politely to put the dog in the car, stay further back or keep the music down and briefly explain why. Although reasoning may not have worked. It is tough to be in a situatiion such as this and easily avoided. people want to film us nowadays and we cannot be so defensive. Do the right thing and you will come out on top. Stay safe.

mwp72 @ 7/3/2013 5:08 AM

This is just another example of a cop hating, agitator/narcissist claiming to protect everybody's civil rights when all he was really wanting was to provoke the police into doing something provocative so he could post his "gotcha" video on the internet. I am sorry the dog had to pay for his stupidity, but I don't blame the officer for shooting when 135 pounds of muscle and teeth are coming at him. R.I.P Max. You deserved a much better master.

Mark @ 7/3/2013 6:33 AM

The dogs owner may have been annoying & foolish, but Police needs to stand above such pettyiess or get out of the job if too fed up of it. As it just keeps the childiness moving from one generation to the next.
He could have controlled the dog, if released or not shackled at the drop of a hat. Or less force was an option. It makes people scared of the USA. But then many cops appear to be too arrogant to care.

NJmotorcop @ 7/3/2013 6:47 AM

I see no reason to viciously slaughter an innocent animal that was simply trying to protect its's family. This type of callous disregard for life makes us all look bad and proves that these "men" are unfit for the job. Professional officers would have taken steps to eliminate any risks posed by the dog long before they found a "need" to murder it.

Guest @ 7/3/2013 6:50 AM

This officer needs to pay with his life. That dog did not deserve that. There are more humane ways to handle animals in such situations.

geo @ 7/3/2013 7:42 AM

this is unacceptable people .. weak up.. there was no real threat.. thats the only training cops do? Shooting everything immediately?

geo @ 7/3/2013 7:42 AM

krisnlc @ 7/3/2013 8:04 AM

Shield, you are an idiot...and are part of the reason how so many of these idiots like you get into this work.... you guys rationalize and create your own scenarios in your head. Dude, hang up your gun..you glory hound!

pup @ 7/3/2013 8:08 AM

Civil Rights!!! Today, is July 3rd. It's the 150th anniversary of the "Battle of Gettysburg". Well known as "Pickett's Charge". What became of the Civil War and the huge battle? Over 600,000 white men either died, were wounded or captured, fighting for the freedom of blacks. At Gettysburg over 51,000 suffered. So, get over the Civil Rights and quit using your color as an excuse to provoke LE and get free money. Get a job, mind your own business. If the incident doesn't involve you, move on. ??? for you. How would the blacks act if a white man/woman was walking down the street in a black, gang infested neighborhood video taping all of them partying? Enough said. Be safe LE....

krisnlc @ 7/3/2013 8:13 AM

"Shooting the dog", you frigging kidding me.... not sure of all the details that led to this, looks like the dog guy was in business he should not have been in... a nuisance, a pain in the behind.... but scene safety was apparently not a priority, and did the two officers get a call to apprehend this guy..did he have a warrant and recognize...who knows..but shooting the dog was just stupid absurd response. on viewing the whole scene looks ripe for an attorney to sue for alot of money. The shooting officer is an idiot, he should lose his job at a minimum, not to mention being charged for endangerment of everyone around him...in multiple facets...shooting the dog while his officers are in his line of fire, shooting into the hard surface, not considering the possibility of ricochets, and simply being a paranoid fool. oh by the way, officer guppy, you are an idiot also for saying what you said.

maria @ 7/3/2013 9:13 AM

It is shameful and very problematic to see that so many officers have said the dog should be shot. It is obvious officers are lacking in training and carelessly react instead of think. It is this mentality that has caused billions to be paid out in lawsuits caused by reckless and reactive police officers. The dog did not need to be shot 4 times. That was just stupidity by a trigger happy cop. I hope the Hawthorn Police Department pays a huge settlement to the owner for the careless actions of their officer.

pup @ 7/3/2013 9:26 AM

<http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_23578147/hawthorne-police-kill-dog-during-arrest-owner>

Read more on the shooting. Witnesses paint a different picture, as the owner of the dog was totally in the wrong and at blame...

Johan Sweden @ 7/3/2013 10:27 AM

Offizer salomon you are the dog natzi!!!! Hope sombody pop you as you did max!!!

Jake Shum @ 7/3/2013 11:22 AM

Please take this video down Police Magazine. It is very bad publicity for police. The title of this article is not fooling anyone. Lunging dog? Officer Solomon, at least that is what I heard you name is, please hide. You are about to be a very hated cop. You not only have done your duty poorly, you have created disgust in many people, especially those who own pets. You are a shame to the badge. I support the police, and you make it hard to. I hope you get the opportunity to retire, but please leave your career as a cop. I understand that this is only a death of a pet, but this is going to serve an example for other policemen as well. You may hold authority, but you aren't the final authority. You had no right.

Mailman @ 7/3/2013 11:46 AM

I am a mailman. I have been chased by plenty of dogs. I have a can of pepper spray issued to me. We don't have guns, but we manage. We have no training, yet we manage. Officer, was the gun necessary? Rhetorical question. No it wasn't. I've been chased by a pit bull. I missed with my pepper spray because of how scared I was. I understand the fear of being chased by a dog. I managed to lay in a good kick on the nose. I was unharmed. The dog may have been hurt, but he got to enjoy another day. There was no need to file a report. Officer, you are pathetic. I receive no training, and I know how to act more responsibly than you. I understand that other cops agree with his actions, and I understand why. It just goes to show that policemen are not only poorly trained, but desensitized to the needs of those they serve. That man did not deserve to watch his pet die in this manner. No matter what you ignorant cops say, that was brutal. That was grotesque to watch as a video, and the fact that the officer had acted so routinely bothers me. I want our cops protected, but guns are a worst-case-scenario situation. Are the Hawthorne Police that cowardice? Apparently.

pup @ 7/3/2013 11:57 AM

Sorry, but I have to say one more thing after reading the comments. I too love dogs and I was a K9 handler for many years. I undersatnd folks being upset with the officer. However, why isn't anyone blaming the guy who owned the dog? He knew what he was doing when he left the windows down in the car. The POS wanted the dog to jump out of the car to scare the officers. Many of you are cop haters. That's fine, but be open minded and put blame the POS who started the entire incident.

steve @ 7/3/2013 12:25 PM

No, no, no. Officer Solomon approached the scene AFTER the 2 original cops placed Rosby into custody. He posed no threat at that point. WHAT THE F*K IS THAT MAN DOING WITH HIS FIREARM DRAWN! Are you kidding me!!! You can clearly hear Rosby commanding the dog to settle and HE DID! Then this idiot cowboy come s around the corner ready to shoot anything that moves. What kind of training says that any of that was necessary?! That dog was only doing what it is supposed to. Not only in showing aggression to a threat to his owner but also in that he was obeying commands in the midst of all the commotion. Who started the incident?! The f*ker that committed armed robbery!!! Those officers should have stayed on task with the SWAT team moving in on a perp! That dude was not doing anything worthy of them breaking focus from the task at hand. PERIOD. To say anything otherwise makes you a goddamn robot. There's no honor in protecting a "brother" who doesn't know how to carry himself. NOT ONLY THAT - THE DOG WAS TRYING TO FLEE AFTER THE FIRST SHOT!!!! There is no decent defense for Officer Solomon or the other two idiots that had to act tough in the first place.

krisnlc @ 7/3/2013 2:28 PM

PUP, come on man....i cannot even believe you are trying to place the blame of the shooting on the owner...yes the owner may be an idiot, but he did nothing wrong on video...maybe he had a warrant and was recognized and being taken into custody, but he gave up no problems...how can you start to say that he knew he was going to be arrested, left his windows down so his dog could attack... Really!!! you would have shot the dog too...and you would be looking to rationalize the action...AMAZING... get real man, it is in front of you... the dog should not have been shot..Steve said it right...the police escalated the situation, idiot cop soloman (if that is his name), pushed it beyond the limit...GLORY HOUND...you know them they are in your department also..we all know them, but dont say it because of the 'blue code' sad, sad, sad!

Lenny @ 7/3/2013 2:51 PM

The police issued a statement confirming the officer had killed the dog after it ran toward him aggressively

No Kidding!
As someone who had a morning paper route way back in the 1970's I came across more than my share of aggressive dogs.
Never once occurred to me to shoot them, yet here I am.

The Hawthorne Police Department statement continued, "Fearing that the attacking Rottweiler would imminently bite the officer(s), one officer fired his duty weapon several times, striking and killing the dog."

Not sure how you can kill a dog because it ran toward you aggressively and then fear that the attacking Rottweiler would imminently bite the officer.

I have a feeling this story is going to be rewritten many times before they find some way to hang an air-freshener on it.
And by the way Commander Cornelius Clusterf%*$, didn't fire his duty weapon several times striking and killing the dog.
He pulled out his gun and shot the dog, no wonder you guys justify this, you can't even say what happened.

Lt, Scott Swain told the Daily Breeze: "It looks like the officer tried to reach down and grab the leash, and then the dog lunges in the direction of him and the other officers there. And I know it's the dog's master, and more than likely not going to attack him, (but) we've got a guy handcuffed that's kind of defenseless. We have a duty to defend him, too."

To me this is the is the biggest lie and I hope will be discussed at length as it is clear to see that as soon as the dog approached the group the officers pushed Rosby out in front of them as a shield.

steve @ 7/3/2013 3:32 PM

@Shield AND @Big Rob - You two are f*king morons. Do the world a favor and go play in traffic. Even the title connotes bravery on the part of police. WTF?!!! These idiot robot cops! I know its in their DNA to advocate for each other no matter what But the justification these morons use is as criminal as Officer Solomon's actions in my opinion. Officer Solomon approached the scene AFTER the 2 original cops placed Rosby into custody. He posed no threat at that point. WHAT THE F*K IS THAT MAN DOING WITH HIS FIREARM DRAWN! Are you kidding me!!! You can clearly hear Rosby commanding the dog to settle and HE DID! Then this idiot cowboy come s around the corner ready to shoot anything that moves. What kind of training says that any of that was necessary?! That dog was only doing what it is supposed to. Not only in showing aggression to a threat to his owner but also in that he was obeying commands in the midst of all the commotion. Who started the incident?! The f*ker that committed armed robbery!!! Those officers should have stayed on task with the SWAT team moving in on a perp! That dude was not doing anything worthy of them breaking focus from the task at hand. PERIOD. To say anything otherwise makes you a goddamn robot. There's no honor in protecting a "brother" who doesn't know how to carry himself. NOT ONLY THAT - THE DOG WAS TRYING TO FLEE AFTER THE FIRST SHOT!!!! There is no decent defense for Officer Solomon or the other two idiots that had to act tough in the first place.Whoever is the admin for policeman.com should definitely take this article down immediately if there is any concern for showing integrity. Officer Solomon, I hope you pay. If you have any decency at all, you'll resign.

Steve @ 7/3/2013 3:36 PM

^^^ policemag.com
my humble apologies.

Ashley @ 7/3/2013 9:03 PM

Officer Solomon deserves to serve prison time for the murder of Max. This just shows that those who we call the "finest" are not even close to the term. For those of you who call yourself police officers and that "safety is first," you should watch the video and see that Max was no threat to the arresting officers. If he was, however, there are things called tazors that could be used to keep Max at bay. Instead, Officer Solomon made the ignorant decision to shoot Max four times, even at the first shot, Max was attempting to flee. Also, Max's owner, Leon is not at fault. It is not illegal to record police officers. In my humble opinion, the officers were just having a pissing contest with Leon, and it is very unfortunate that because of this Max was murdered in the process.

Dog Man @ 7/3/2013 9:55 PM

People you have to understand that an officer does not have to use the least amount of force first. The officer only has to use reasonable force to stop the threat. Pepper spray, Tasar, does not have to be used first on a dog, if the officer feared for his safety, the safety of others officers, the safety of the citizens, and the safety of the suspect. I have worked K-9’s for 15 years now, and I can tell you that a dog can cause life altering damage. I have witnessed a Rot bite a 19 year old person in the head causing the person to be blind for the rest of their life. Peoples safety comes before any dog!

RomeHead @ 7/3/2013 10:08 PM

That Police Was Wrong He Was Dead Wrong Okay One Shot Is Enough But For Him To Fire 3 More Times In The Dog Is Crazy Officer Solomon Is A Dog Killer How Would You Feel If Someone Does That To Your Fucking Ass Hole You

Dog Man @ 7/3/2013 10:15 PM

If all of you cop haters say the cops are always wrong, then why don't you become police officers and do a better job then we can. And why would the dog owner need to yell or give the dog commands to settle if he knew for sure the dog would NOT BITE? The dog owner knew the dog would bite the officers, therefor he was giving him commands to settle. I love dogs, worked 5 police dogs, I have seen what kind of injury’s can result from a dog bite. If the dog stayed in the car this would never have happened. If it comes down to an injury to a person or a dog’s life, the dog is taken out and the person’s safety comes first. Please all the cop haters please call your local police department, take all the testing to get hired, pass the police academy, and show us how we should do things! If it’s so easy, become a cop and change the world!

TX Deputy @ 7/4/2013 4:07 AM

Brimfield OH P.D. Chief Oliver on the Rottweiler.

I have received lots of messages and emails about the shooting of a Rottweiler by a police officer. Some of you are very passionate for both sides of this argument. I understand both sides and would like to offer some opinion on the incident…as usual. Let’s look at the incident....

• According to the LA Times, The police department was out in force after responding to armed-robbery suspects who had barricaded themselves in a home. The situation could have been deadly and officers needed to secure a perimeter.

•The subject with the dog has a history with that particular department, including being arrested for drugs and domestic violence and also has a current lawsuit against the department.

•Many people in the background could be heard asking what the subject and his dog were doing “so close” to police cars and the operations going on at the residence.

•The subject appears to exchange words with officers, puts his dog in the vehicle with windows down….and then walks up to be handcuffed by officers…as if he wanted to be arrested…perhaps to use as a “retaliation” charge against the department for the ongoing lawsuit. That is an opinion....from experience.

•The Rottweiler jumps from the vehicle, walks towards the officers and subject and then lunges at an officer. The officers shoots and kills the dog.

Most of you know I love dogs. I have had several dogs in my lifetime, including a very nice Rottweiler. I did not like watching this incident, at all. There are places I will not take my dogs, out of just plain old common sense….One of those places would most definitely be to a barricaded subjects call. I would also not show up to a scene involving a police department I was in an active lawsuit with and begin cajoling officers….particularly with my dog in tow. Yes, I know we honor free sp

TX Deputy @ 7/4/2013 4:09 AM

I quoted Chief Oliver's FB post on this issue because I believe he summed it up the best of all the explanations etc that I've seen and I agree with his assessment.

TX Deputy @ 7/4/2013 4:13 AM

2nd half because it cut it off:

...Yes, I know we honor free speech in America; however, rights come with responsibilities.

The incident transpired in less than ten seconds. The officers made a snap decision and will be judged on that decision for some time to come. That’s what this profession is. Also...the officers should have known who they were dealing with and expected this type of behavior. Preparation wins every time.

After watching this and reading many sides of the story, I have to fault of the owner of the dog for most of this drama. Dog ownership is a responsibility, not a status. Would the owner have taken his two-year-old child that close to danger? Dogs are loyal and that is evident by this dog’s response to his owner being arrested. For that loyalty, we owe our four legged friends the same in return.

I know we have our dog lovers on board here. I am one also. Do not be blinded by emotion. Most if not all of you would NOT show up at an active and dangerous police scene, with your dog, to yell at police officers. Many of you watch from the safe and needed distance....and that is the norm.

Many dogs have less than great best friends. Harsh... but very true.….Chief Oliver

Randy G. @ 7/4/2013 6:03 AM

I have to admit I was angered when I seen the incident. I read up on it and I seriously wonder what people are thinking when the do the things they do. That idiot Rosby or whatever the hell his name is didn't deserve to have Max. Just wish the outcome would have been different. That is all.

DV @ 7/4/2013 6:38 AM

Why make an arrest for him video taping?

FuckThePolice @ 7/4/2013 11:17 AM

How is this the owners fault at all chief Oliver you fucking clown. Why did the fucking police detain him in the first place. The man was not doing anything wrong at all r resisting at all. He shouldn't of even been in handcuffs. Fuck all you pigs making decisions that can ruin people's lives daily!

TX Deputy @ 7/4/2013 12:38 PM

^^^...You Mad, Brah? Yeah You Mad!!! How long is your rap sheet?...trololol

Law enforcement officer @ 7/4/2013 8:09 PM

The police involved clearly walked up to the blackman video taping and arrested him and shot and killed his dog. There were white kids also video taping this incident and they weren't arrested. How so idiots think we were able to see the video.

Matt @ 7/5/2013 8:05 AM

just made the whole U.S police force look stupid and have drawn worldwide hatred and condemnation.Anyone who watches the video can see the dog was non-threatening yet your police couldnt think of 1 other option.I thought police were trained to read situations or assess them.

Marco @ 7/5/2013 8:52 AM

Let me educate the high-school educated and college drop-out law enforcement types on here.

This is a black man who whose rights were infringed upon. The man, who is a civil rights advocate for black people, stopped his car - and note how the street was un-barricaded, lacked the presence of traffic control, etc - and then starts shooting video of a police scene in hopes of possibly capturing a neanderthal with a badge conducting some malice against a fellow citizen. The police there, who had boners, wanted some action. [Music blasting is not a crime in any setting - this will be dropped 100% guaranteed. (Please, policemen who want so desperately to be prosecutors but who would never survive law school, just read the statutes on point!)

Leon politely sees this and inserts his animal into the vehicle and comes at the officers hands up and in reverse. Jump forward: when the animal comes at the owner, he's wagging, sniffs some pee on the ground, and then oh yeah! he ran out to see what was up and goes towards his owner once again. The moment ANY intelligent person saw this, he/she should have reacted intelligently and either given the animal space, OR allowed the owner to re-secure his animal. But, no, brain dead and man in mortal fear and danger for his life Jeff Salmon, charges at the dog, tries to grab a large animal by the collar from a position of dominance and then expects a favorable outcome. Animal could have been kicked off and then shoved off - this is not a panther; it's a 80 lb dog...much like a 80 lb midget. Would you be afraid of an 80 lb midget or 100 lb girl? So, unless it's a panther and its force would knock you down on a single jump, do like the UPS man and kick or shove. Until then, you're all scared little bitches with guns.

Marco @ 7/5/2013 9:14 AM

Dig didn't need a taze, a bullet, or even a shove really - maybe a firm talking to: see how the REAL men of UPS do it (100% guaranteed all cops in America would have shot this dog): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN4-tw5bLxE

Josh Dale @ 7/5/2013 9:59 AM

I was not trained in the academy or otherwise that it would be ok to shoot under these circumstances - that dog was obviously confused rather than vicious or attacking. Simply unhook Rosby and have him get the dog - recuff. Outrageous and needs criminal charges brought - https://www.change.org/petitions/los-angeles-county-district-attorney-jackie-lacey-bring-criminal-charges-against-officers-who-injured-leon-rosby-in-hawthorne

CopsRCowards @ 7/5/2013 10:09 AM

Your Safety first? Funk you, learn how to type and get an office job if that's how you think. What about your oath to uphold the constitution? Are you that terrified? Then hit the bricks, you coward cop.

FahkenFigures @ 7/5/2013 10:19 AM

Q. How many cops does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. None, they just beat the room for being black and the bulb for being broke.

SunshineHavenAnimalRescue @ 7/5/2013 11:43 AM

Perfect example of how to handle the situation next time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGUyMFPJRnU "Dog Attack Police Officer Taser Full News Report" (1m 27s)
BECAUSE KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

Aimee @ 7/5/2013 12:23 PM

I think it's horrendous that all you police officers are just backing each other up blindly. If you're all saying that you would have done NOTHING different, then god damn, I'm scared for this country's citizens' safety. Because if your first instinct while facing this kind of threat is to pull out your gun and shoot something, then we better all just hide in our houses lest you feel threatened in someway.

True, the dog owner wasn't being the smartest citizen by trying to agitating the police, but by video recording the police and playing music loudly AFTER THEY HAVE CAUGHT THE SUSPECT THEY CAME FOR, doesn't warrant the death of his beloved animal. And if the cops were really concerned about the safety of the surrounding citizens, then they could have used warning tape, thus not allowing people to get so close. It just seems like they were lazy and improperly trained. HOW HARD would have it been, to let Leon go for a minute to secure and calm down his dog without shooting it FOUR TIME. He clearly was cooperating with the police - he walked over calmly and put his hands behind his back, so it's not like he was resisting arrest or posed as a flight risk. If they would have let the dog's proper OWNER calm him down and put him back in a safe place, then the dog wouldn't be faced with a stranger in front of him trying to grab him and pose as a threat to himself and his owner. This is all common sense. And how DARE they say that they were trying to protect Leon from the dog, when the dog was trying to protect Leon from the police...

Therefore, yes, Leon might have been "disturbing" the police, but he was cooperative with the arrest, and NOTHING that he did warranted his dog to be shot in front of his eyes.

Diego @ 7/5/2013 1:11 PM

To the police officers who back this murderous act behind "our safety first":
What about OUR safety? The laws and regulations that allow you to use lethal (and mostly excessive) force are made up by people. LIke the boogie man, pinoccio and shit like that. When a law goes against the people it's supposed to serve, it's OK to NOT obey it. So I stand for not compliance of police force. I find it abusive and it does not represent my principles. I will buy a gun and will defend myself from abusive police officers, even if it means a trial and prison time.
What Jeffrey Salmon did was abusive. PERIOD.

Diego @ 7/5/2013 1:12 PM

"aggressive movements"?????
The dog couldn't be any more docile!
Shame on you POLICE!

Marius de Bruyne @ 7/5/2013 1:54 PM

1- uncuff the guy, and let him put de dog back in the car. I dont think he was going to flee the scene. And in case he did, the officers could have written down the licensce plate of the car. It was not a ferrari that would be out of sight after a few sec. There IQ should allow them to remeber and write a few numbers down. Unless its under 80, and they retarted.
2- Dont uncuff the guy, but stop holding him and let him take the dog back to the car. It is possible while cuffed.
3- Go talk with the guy before arresting him. Ask him to stop whatver he was doing to piss you pigs off.
4- Spray the dog with pepper spray. It works on 360 kg Bears!! I dont see why it would not work on on a 60 kg Dog.
5- Tazer the dog, if it works on a human and a horse, it will work on a dog aswell.
6- Act like u gonne throw you gun at it, instead of pulling the trigger. The dog is smart eneugh to know we can throw something/ This may couse the dog to move backwards.
7-Shoot youreself in the face, it would have been good riddence.

Joe @ 7/8/2013 6:43 PM

I think it is fair to say that both parties could have handled the situation better. Police officers have a hard job to do but they are paid professionals. They should have engaged the dog owner, make him aware that his actions was impeding police procedures, and give the citizen a chance to comply. They was too quick with the apprehension and was not doing anything but bumping their gums with one another. People are going to be curious. There was at least 4 cruisers blocking the whole street. They could have been helping with the courd on instead of being useless and then make a rash decision. BLUF this event should not have happened and would not have happened if the officers was more engaged in their job.

Toni Laine @ 7/10/2013 11:15 AM

that officer is like a shit. my english is not good, but anyway hope that somebody shut him too.... "dangerous situation" yeah yeah of course if his kind man is some other place than jail.

michael @ 7/27/2013 6:08 AM

Trigger happy imbecile, is this what the brave Police has been relegated to employing halfwits, you should have made it more convincing by planting a gun on the dog, that would have made the case for self defense more plausible, afterall he was Black!

I thought this shit only happend in the movies!

ED @ 8/9/2013 10:06 AM

How ignorant..” one of the most dangerous breed of dogs”..its a dog I know because I have one. These people are caught up in the media hype. The dog was not a threat and being confronted by an idiot. They could have quite easily asked the person being arrested to direct his dog off until the situation was under control.
As for the police officer he obviously can’t deal with a situation without resorting to deadly force…not once did he shoot the dog but four times….
Here is the UK Police don’t have guns and for the very reason because of the gung-ho trigger happy attitude of the few.
In my opinion Officer Salmon should be sacked….it could be a person next time. As for the man getting arrested he should take some blame as well…what a dick-head

M @ 10/9/2013 5:10 PM

I though they where in the wrong! They all should have there Lisons takeing away for that & being locked up too teach them a wrong way of handly it. I would do it differtly not with the Gun! If you don't do something about it then I know who can God!

M @ 10/9/2013 5:13 PM

You are the Police but a Men who let your Guns speek for you! You where in the wrong;-/ this meens I'm disappointed in you of all CA. Police there.

M @ 10/9/2013 5:15 PM

How could you all go too bed at night not thinking of what you have done your all Monsters your pure evil ;-/

Kenn Ferning @ 12/4/2013 12:07 PM

The police officer did the wrong thing. I'm a policeman and i know it! He deserves a death worse than others!

Jonathan @ 1/17/2014 10:24 PM

That officer deserves to be shot down. He thinks it's ok to kill someone's piece of life. His entire family should be murdered. Let's see if he finds justice in that. Fucking bitch

this is what you call dem @ 4/16/2014 10:49 AM

i got 5 questions, and i need answers! well first of all we never heard any loud music being played in the video! so i wonder whether the policemen were hearing angel's sing when the dog made some aggressive movements when its master was arrested!
secondly i'd like to know why the policeman who shot the dog didnt use tazer or kicking?
thirdly i would like to know whether this mofo has a family and a dog itself?
fourthly IS THIS AMERICAN DEMOCRACY? IS THIS THE ONE YOU SPEAK OF SO PROUDLY? IS THIS THE STRICT ANIMAL LAWS THAT YOU HAVE IN YOUR COUNTRY?(please dont tell me now that laws are not valid for policemen because i know you americans are so good covering up things)
fifthly i wonder what kind of action was taken against it and what are these so called animal protection societies or what so ever did after that?