Ariz. Cop Wounded, K-9 Killed In Deadly Shootout

June 21, 2013  |

A Glendale (Ariz.) Police officer was wounded and his police dog was killed in a gunfight that also claimed the life of the suspect late Thursday.

The incident began when a convenience store employee called 911 to report a suspicious person in the store. The suspect, later identified as 20-year-old Jourdan Akili Wagner, took off running when police arrived, reports Fox News.

Wagner ran through residential yards and threatened people with a gun. Officers caught up with Wagner, who didn't comply with commands to drop his weapon.

In an exchange of gunfire, Officer Wes Zygmont and his police K-9 Ronin were hit. Ronin did not survive. Wagner was killed in the officer-involved shooting.

Tags: Glendale (Ariz.) PD, K-9 Units, Foot Pursuits, Officer-Involved Shootings

Bob@Az. @ 6/21/2013 6:57 PM

My condolences to Officer Zygmont on the loss of his partner, Ronin. Glad to see the slime wagner got his just reward and won't be killing anymore LEOs. Blues, Stay Safe.

Sherry @ 6/21/2013 7:25 PM

Too bad that the man really did nothing to have the police called on him in the first place. People run and police chase as if it was a bear hunt. Both sides loose. Most of all the dog that should not be put in harms way for no reason.

Officerjason @ 6/23/2013 6:15 PM

Sherry. Thats the most ridiculous statement ive read in a long time. If it werent for a watchful eye of the employee this man very likely would have used the firearm to rob or worse yet injure or kill an innocent person. 99% of our job is watching for suspicious activity/persons just like in this case. An "innocent" person would not have looked suspicious or ran let alone shot at an officer and killed his partner. Your outlook on criminals and their "rights" offends me and every other American...he had no qualms about stripping officer Zygmont or Ronin of his rights yet you feel sorry for him. Quite honestly im glad he can never pull a trigger again

Al Moavero @ 6/24/2013 10:16 AM

Sherry, that is one of the most ignorant, imbecolic statements I've ever heard.
Please do everyone a favor and stay away from all Police related websites...we don't need nor want someone like you posting.

Bill Hershel @ 6/24/2013 2:35 PM

Sadly, the K9 did the job he was there to do: protect the officer. That is the hard, cold, reality, but some find this offensive. I guarantee Ofc Zygmont's family do not.

gp cobb @ 6/24/2013 3:08 PM

Sherry, you been tolt eh?

Capt. Crunch @ 6/24/2013 3:59 PM

Sherry, you are stupid. Wagner, had a firearm on him. What do you think he was doing, selling cookies. Listen to AL.

RICHARD ISAACS @ 6/24/2013 5:48 PM

SHERRY, HOW MUCH ARE YOU PAYED TO WRITE IGNORANT THINGS. IT MUST BE A BUNDLE.

unique @ 6/24/2013 7:56 PM

Actually for all y'all who are saying rude thinks about Jourdain Wagner he didn't do anything to the store cierk he had money I go with Sherry and Jourdain is my cousin this stuff y'all are posting is rude to the family so just keep the bad comments to yhur self.

unique @ 6/24/2013 7:58 PM

And he ran for a reason.

Officerjason @ 6/24/2013 9:17 PM

Unique...that you definately are. Shhh listen closely...whats that in the background?! I do believe its the song "Dueling Banjos"

dd1811 @ 6/25/2013 7:42 AM

let me guess....the reasons he ran were:

A. He was on parole
B. He was wanted for a crime ("he didn't do").
C. He was packing a gun.
D. All of the above.

Yes Unique, sometimes life is rude, and you should be posting on a "Hug a Thug" website.

Bob@Az. @ 6/25/2013 8:48 AM

WOW! Guys, we done been had. "unique" is obviously a plant, someone who is so small minded as to think he (or it) is being clever by using really poor grammar and touting his ignorance with his misspelled post. As for his " I go with Sherry" comment, well OK, maybe she is his sister after all. They'd make a nice couple. Blues, Stay Safe.

frank @ 6/25/2013 4:47 PM

Unique if you want to stand up for someone, especially a family member spell his name correct. I will even give him that respect. Jourdan (no letter I in that name) ran for a reason its call armed robbery, that is why he ran and he was about to do another.

for sherry, your right because of Jourdan we both lose. We lose a good cop and defender for a few months while he recovers from his gunshot wounds from Jourdan. We lost a great tool in law enforcement as Ronin died from being shot by Jourdan.

A family lost there child in Jourdan which is sad, but remember this, he was the one that made the actions that landed him in jail before and he made actions that day. He did not need to rob someone at gun point , run from officers, fail to listen to officers when found, fight with officer dog, shoot the dog and shoot an officer.

If he would of been at the park or at work we would not be where we are today

Regina Graves @ 6/27/2013 6:52 PM

Deepest sympathy for the loss of Ronin. These dogs are very special in my heart. They work hard doing things unbelievable with no thought. I hope the shooter burns in hell!
I guess I'm a little partial to these k9's since I do have two, one of which is retired at ten yrs old and the other is my husbands new partner. I pray every night for their return.

TERRY F. ZECH(RET) VAPD @ 7/5/2013 9:40 AM

Sherry, how about we put Jourdan up in your house to live and see if he doesn't rape and murder you in your sleep. Wagner was about to committ another crime and you feel sorry for this man. You need help. I am a retired MWD handler from the USN and retired from the Veteran Affairs Police Dept, in Detroit. I hope this Wagner never sees the light of day again. My condolences to Ofc Zygmont on the loss of your partner. Take care and stay safe.

mh22 @ 7/17/2013 2:54 PM

its j-o-u-r-d-a-i-n...whoever reported this story didnt know him or the family personally, unique being a family member knows how to spell his name CORRECTLY. Jourdain was a troubled boy, not a man, and unfortunately the bad decisions he made led to this. Do not turn this story or this boys fate into something more than it is. Jourdain is no murderer or rapist. I do not feel sorry for Jourdain, he is finally at rest and wont trouble himself or anyone else anymore. I mourn for him and his family for the fact that no parent deserves to see their child go before them. I mourn for the officers killed on duty and their families and thank them both for their service.

unique @ 12/10/2013 6:31 AM

Actually don't tell me how to spell my cousins name. I understand how y'all feel but if it was your family ou would want people talking bad about family and for you info I'm only14..... so yeah

unique @ 12/10/2013 6:35 AM

I know how to spell his name on his birth certificate it says Jourdain Akili Wagner so don't tell me how to spell his name. And I'm only 14 so don't expect me to know every word in the book.

unique @ 12/10/2013 6:41 AM

He was not a murderer or a rapist he did Bmx and doesn't fight or anthing he just was in the wrong place at the wrong time and all the things ou said really hurt me. and know I know y'all need to learn the quote "don't judge a book by it's cover" and it's sad that me (a 14 year old) has to teach y'all manners