Texas Sheriff Wounded In Gunfight with Marine

May 28, 2013  |

Photo via Concho County SO.
Photo via Concho County SO.
Concho County Sheriff Richard Doane was wounded Sunday during a shootout with a Marine who had gone on a two-hour rampage in Texas that left two dead and five wounded.

At about 6:15 a.m., Sheriff Doane, state troopers, and a game warden caught up with Esteban J. Smith, 23, on U.S. Highway 83 north of Eden, reports NBC News.

Smith, an active-duty Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune, has been linked to the deaths of two women. His wife, 21-year-old Rubi Estefania Smith, was found fatally stabbed Sunday at a hotel in nearby Jacksonville, N.C., reports WNCT.

Smith is also suspected of fatally shooting 41-year-old Alicia Torres of Eola, Texas, who was found dead in her car prior to the gun fight. He was killed in the shootout with officers. Authorities found an assault rifle, handgun, and hundreds of rounds of ammunition in Smith's truck, reports CNN.

Sheriff Doane is expected to fully recover. The sheriff "is doing wonderful and will be home soon," according to an update on the sheriff's office Facebook page.

Tags: Texas, Assaults on Officers, Military-related, Active Shooters

gp cobb @ 5/28/2013 3:11 PM

And what happened to the Marine? Funny Story.

XTrooper @ 5/28/2013 3:15 PM

Smith was killed in the shootout.

Capt. Crunch @ 5/28/2013 5:45 PM

What was the motive?

Diana @ 5/28/2013 7:27 PM

This happened in and around my home town. It was very scary.

Deputy JJ Golliday @ 5/28/2013 8:40 PM

Nobody knows why he just started shooting with an M-4 carbine at passing cars he met on the highway. He shot a person in Eden, Tx. then drove to nearby Brady, Tx. and shot 2 more. He shot another in Eola, Tx. then returned to Eden and shot another. Then he met the Sheriff and a Game Warden and a State Trooper. The Sheriff was hit in the arm and the ear, possibly with hearing loss. The Trooper and Warden put an end to the ordeal.

C. Kimbell @ 5/29/2013 3:05 AM

Another nutcase that police saved the courts a LOT of tax money feeding, clothing and taking care of in prison !!

R. Hightower @ 5/29/2013 5:42 AM

Speaking as a Marine myself and as a former Peace Officer, the particulars of this case are fairly obvious. This was primarily a crime of passion due to some domestic squable. The rest is happenstance and fallout of the original crime.

Personally, I resent the comments of calling this Marine "another nutcase" and the implication that somehow he was something other than yet another citizen with the implication of a "assault rifle" being present among the possessions of this man.

I expect higher levels of journalism from a LEO-centric publication instead of the standard / common pandering.

G. Bryant @ 5/29/2013 5:49 AM

R. Hightower...are you kidding??? I'm pretty sure we can call anybody who shoots seven people killing 2 of them a nutcase, Marine or not!

uslawman1983 @ 5/29/2013 6:15 AM

Way to go. . and get well soon. We need warrior leaders like you on the street. Its great to see the brass getting out from behind the desk and getting down and dirty with their troops.

Letty Torress @ 5/29/2013 6:45 AM

He went on a shooting rampage, he is nuts! How can you call it anything else? It doesn't matter how he makes his living, he willingly and knowingly drove around shooting innocent people. It's good that he was killed and spare the victim's families the trauma of going to court and facing their killer! Enough said!!!

Brownnie @ 5/29/2013 7:09 AM

Crime of passion or PTSD? Speaking as retired military with three tours to middle east and now LEO, I blame the fed govt in part for tragedies like this. If we provide our troops the support they need post-combat maybe we can prevent some of the killing. I was lucky... for whatever reason, I wasn't affected like may others have been but I saw the lack of support given to members first hand. It wasn't until AFTER I retired that I was even tested or talked to about PTSD.

Marshal Fine @ 5/29/2013 7:47 AM

I read these comments and wonder... How did WWII and prior vets handle PTSD. . How did Viet Nam Vets do? Is it the "super" media we have today up everyone's butts, or always this way for all returning veterans? I'm 60 yrs. old and remember many WWII and later vets and I don't remember this high incident rate of mental health problems. Were the vets with issues here and we just didn't know (media) or something today that is different? The WWII vets that would talk about combat had horror stories and the same with all war.

Marshal Fine @ 5/29/2013 7:49 AM

I'm sure all know my comments are genuine and not making light of any human put in the situation of life and death combat. Either at home or abroad........ Bless them (and us) all.....!

Bob@Az. @ 5/29/2013 9:03 AM

Marshal, During WWI, WWII & Korea the troops returned by ship, sometimes taking weeks, although not so much in Korea. By the time of Vietnam they were incountry on Monday and in LA by Wednesday. No time to reset the mind. And in Vietnam our troops were younger and greener, in a country that pretty much didn't want them there. And moving up to the Sandbox Wars it's gotten worse. My heart goes out to Deputy Doane and I wish him a speedy, full recovery. And my condolences to the young Marines family. Blues, Stay Safe.

JimB @ 5/30/2013 9:53 AM

Hightower, the guy went nuts and shot a bunch of innocent people. We can debate back and forth about what caused him to go off the deep end but the fact remains, he was the one behind the weapon pulling the trigger. I'm sorry if you are offended by him being called a "nutcase" but that doesn't make it less true.

Chris Dorner was a former police officer. But he went crazy and killed some innocent people. You can call him a nutjob all day long and you aren't going to hear me complain. Because that's what he was.

Like I said, we can argue about what caused him to lose it but unfortunately, we will probably never know for sure. I salute all of our service members and I am grateful for their service. But we need to remember a couple of things: Just because someone joins the military and goes into combat, doesn't automatically make them a saint. And just because someone served their country in combat doesn't give them an excuse for whatever else they might do later in life.

JACK squat @ 7/8/2013 5:56 PM

Let us see? hmmm those who were shot and killed UH did ANY GESTAPO manage to save them or protect them?????? NO!! did they manage to prevent any further murder>? NO! so exactly what are they FOR???? OH YES preventing BANK ROBBERIES to protect the REAL DEMONS who run USA and the WORLD ..rob a bank if you really want a gunfight I guarantee the POLICE and other GESTAPO will be there in 2 to 5 minutes to protect THEIR DEMON MASTERS? THE FED ie US PONZI SCHEME THE FED and THE IRS all in ONE the same system! THis all goes back to the PINKERTONS made to protect banks and US railroad