FBI: Minnesota Terror Plot Thwarted

May 06, 2013  |

A raid of a suspect's western Minnesota mobile home likely prevented a terror attack after federal agents seized Molotov cocktails, pipe bombs, and guns, according to the FBI.

Multiple law enforcement agencies executed a search warrant Friday in Montevideo and arrested Buford Rogers, 24.

"The FBI believes that a terror attack was disrupted by law enforcement personnel and that the lives of several local residents were potentially saved," according to a press release from the FBI's Minneapolis office.

The FBI credited cooperation and information sharing among federal, state, and local agencies including the Montevideo Police Department; Chippewa County Sheriff's Office; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives; Minnesota State Highway Patrol; Bloomington Police Department; and Minnehaha County (South Dakota) Sheriff's Office.

Tags: FBI, Agency Cooperation, Domestic Terrorists, Chippewa County (Minn.) Sheriff, Small-Town Agencies

DPB @ 5/6/2013 2:54 PM

Wow! A 24 year old hillbilly in a trailer! Those FBI guys are really on the job!!!! I bet he is not an islamist, just one of those christian white guys clinging to his guns and bible! Cynical, you bet!!! Can you say BUUUUUUUUFORD!!

DPB is an idiot @ 5/6/2013 3:14 PM

So, because he's a 24 yes old hillbilly, he's not dangerous. Your really are a complete idiot. Because normal people keep Molotov Cocktails and pipe bombs in their homes. Your the same idiot that would be crying that the FBI didn't do anything after he blew up your family. Moron

Dave @ 5/6/2013 3:18 PM

What evidence did they have that he planned to do harm? Plenty of people have guns and the ability to build Molotov Cocktails. Hasn't anyone watched Doomsday Preppers? Sounds like a lot of hype over something minor. If this story had any credibility, his "Terror Plot" would have been revealed.

Capt. Crunch @ 5/6/2013 3:48 PM

I wonder if he is a republican?

...Dave, read between the @ 5/6/2013 3:55 PM

...Ever think that when a "terror plot" is uncovered, they don't particularly feel the want or need for a (multitude of reasons) to reveal what it was. Sure, you can pick up a number of things at your local hardware store, or more likely make explosives out of what you have in your garage or shed... the difference is that most people don't keep a set stock of explosives just in case someone comes out to attack their trailer - this is clearly much more offensive than defensive.

D P Farrell @ 5/6/2013 4:26 PM

I see anywhere from 3-10 of these types of incidents reported monthly across the U.S. in my work on the Domestic Criminal Methodology and Trends report. I too am curious to know why this one carries the label of "terror plot thwarted".

DPB @ 5/6/2013 5:09 PM

Hey, anoymous name caller! Just because I am cynical does not make me a moron. I research many sources of information, as well as having multiple sources of information. I note, as a matter of fact, that a young man lay in a boat in Boston, in which police and FBI fired dozens and dozens of rounds in a gunfight with the young man, but then could not find a gun in the suspects possession? I note, that DEA and other Federal Agents kill a few dozen kids and woman and men at Waco in order to save them from a cult. I note the FBI and the US Marshals Service killed Randy Weaver's little boy and his wife at Ruby Ridge for reasons not exactly clear to me under the rules of engagement. I note the FBI "engages" in many of these borderline "stings" and then swoops in to save the day.
Having been in the trenches for 38 plus years gives me the right to speak my mind and to be cynical!

DPB @ 5/6/2013 5:18 PM

Oh, anonymous name caller. I do not lump all FBI or Federal Agencies together. Just like any place, there are good, bad, and seat fillers. Also, I never said a 24 year old hillbilly couldn't be dangerous. Also, you used the wrong word when you said, "your really are a complete idiot!" You should have used, "You're a complete idiot!" And no, I would not be crying. I expect the FBI to do their job, and if this is legitimate, kudos to them! Get a life!

Rob @ 5/6/2013 7:21 PM

Its interesting to compare and contrast this one to foreign-inspired terror plots we've had to suffer. DPB - you're getting your three letter agencies confused. I don't recall that DEA had much of anything to do with Waco.

DaveS55 @ 5/7/2013 2:11 AM

The biggest problem I continue to see today is the talk about trust and walls coming down but there are still many gatekeepers out there. There are still interagency issues at times. The truly sad part is many times it’s not the worker Bee's SA's on the street but the office that holds things up. (And in some cases those bringing it forward have to run the gauntlet first and then get the why are you bringing me more work (THAT'S OUR JOB RIGHT?) The most painful part of the job is getting jammed for doing what's right your job even following the rules and laws... I think with Boston and other climate issues (They may be acting on more Raw but actionable Intel?)...Stay and be careful!

Renee @ 5/7/2013 2:39 AM

Kudos to all agencies involved!!!

Greg @ 5/7/2013 5:36 AM

Let's see...A muslim major kills troops, wounds a bunch while yelling "Allah Akbar" and it's "workplace violence".

Some happy muslims kill and wound a bunch of people and Odumbo can't use the word "terrorism" or "muslim extremist" either.

Buford in a trailer has potential molotov cocktails...another word for "Bottle". Just what makes them molotov cocktails? A bottle filled with gas with a burning rag isn't a highly technical item. Pipe bomb, well that does't take much either....pieces of pipe with caps fit the bill there. None of these are big items.

I call BS on this and desperately trying to fit the mold the racist Southern Poverty Law Center cries as the real threats to America...white male Christians and right wing extremists...don't forget militia members too! Ol Buford sure managed to fit all the stereotypes, eh? How funny is that. Guess only non-muslims can be called terrorists in Big Sis and Holder's world.

Capt. Crunch @ 5/7/2013 9:45 AM

I see the big picture now. If Buford, was a Muslim he would be arrested for attempting to blast fish. But being a non-Muslim, he is now a terrorists.

DPB @ 5/7/2013 2:46 PM

Rob,

You are correct, my nimble fingers. DEA was not involved with Ruby Ridge. US Marshals and FBI HIRT were.

Jim B. @ 5/8/2013 9:02 AM

OK, I'm confused (I'll admit, it's not that hard to make that happen), seems like some on this thread want to slam the president for not calling the Boston bombers terrorist initially or criticize the Fed's or the media for soft-playing other acts that could be considered terrorism. But now you want to jump on the FBI for calling this incident terrorism. So which is it? Do you want them to be called terrorist or not? Where is the line? Do they actually have to blow something up before they are a terrorist? Just askin.

I mean, some of you seem like you don't even think this guy should have been arrested. I'm just curious as to where you get that idea? The guy is being charged with being a felon in possession of firearms. He was found with molotov cocktails, pipe bombs and multiple weapons. I'll admit, the molotov cocktails, while certainly dangerous, I'm not going to get too excited over. But in just about every state I am aware of, it's illegal to build pipe bombs. You can't do it. It's illegal for a felon to possess firearms. You can't do it. As far as what his plans were, I don't know. I'm not part of the investigation. I don't have all the information. But I'm guessing none of the rest of you on here do either.

I don't know if all of the people posting on here are actually cops or not but for the sake of argument, I'll assume they are. It's just funny to me how cops who will normally back up other cops all day long find it perfectly acceptable to immediately criticize, question and accuse just because in this instance the LEO's are feds.

DaveS55 @ 5/9/2013 7:01 PM

Jim B -(D P Farrell) asked me to post he tried but unable to post a response to your comments so I said I would try...

Terrorism has always been delineated by a political motive albeit in varying degrees. What the U.S. is witnessing, particularly at the federal level for some time now is a pattern of selective labeling. The bottom line is this strikes many as disturbing. Molotovs and pipe bombs can certainly be terrorist tools, as historically witnessed with use by anarchist groups. A great majority of the time they are associated with knucklehead criminals or violent drug traffickers. Making national headlines with a guy in a trailer with such devices and firearms without indicating any political motive after deliberately dubbing down the terrorist label with "knockoff jihadists" and other "cleansed" comments in Boston, simply comes off as disingenuous...at the fed, state, reservation or whatever level you choose. Time will tell and this arrest may very well be related to terrorism, but federal press releases and public statements don't appear to reflect the integrity that they used to and that's a problem. Additionally, the term "weapon of mass destruction" is being twisted to label virtually any historical criminal act as terrorism, as it suits the justice department. These patterns too, cause the discourse you're "confused" about and thread towards reinvigorating "government integrity". Fair enough?