Iowa Cop Shot In Face, Manhunt Underway

April 30, 2013  |

Photo via Sioux City PD.
Photo via Sioux City PD.
Authorities continued searching Tuesday for a suspect who shot a Sioux City (Iowa) Police officer in the face at a vehicle stop earlier in the day.

Jamal Dean, 22, was last seen running through a residential neighborhood carrying a rifle. The incident began when Officer Kevin McCormick pulled over a vehicle in the 1300 block of West Fourth Street because a female passenger wasn't wearing a seat belt.

As he began to exit the cruiser, Officer McCormick came under fire. Of the eight rounds allegedly fired by Dean, one struck the officer's forehead above his right eye. McCormick backed his vehicle away from the suspect and radioed dispatchers.

"I can't believe I'm talking to you guys right now because I've got a bullet in my forehead," he said at about 3:10 p.m.

McCormick, who joined the force last year, is expected to recover. The bullet was removed and he was released from a hospital Tuesday afternoon, reports the Sioux City Journal.

Tags: Manhunts, Assaults on Officers, Sioux City (Iowa) PD

Georganne Baker @ 4/30/2013 6:07 PM

So very sorry! Prayers for you, your family & your department. God bless & be with you during this time. Being in a police family, my heart goes out to you & your. Stay strong!

Corporal T.E./N.S.M. @ 4/30/2013 6:34 PM

Calls himself "outlaw" on his FaceBook: Jamal Dean's Friends: https://www.facebook.com/outlawf13/friends

Capt. Crunch @ 4/30/2013 6:38 PM

Glad you made it buddy, all we have to do now is catch the punk that shot you.

F dealeo @ 4/30/2013 7:05 PM

I would hope Jamal would get what he deserves but he won't. He will get a fair trial ,go to jail and somewhere down the road, some attorney will get him off. God bless the officer and officers who will give their lives to save others. When he is caught, he needs a good ass whipping just for good measure. Give him one for mr.

PCB @ 4/30/2013 7:32 PM

God bless you during your recovery. I hope you continue to serve the people of Sioux City. All of us, active and retired, will be praying for your full recovery.

Dane @ 4/30/2013 8:00 PM

Was not expecting the outcome to be what it was. Thank God it was. Take care and recover fast. We need you

Lt. Rex Mueller @ 4/30/2013 9:07 PM

As Kevin's Watch Commander I feel it is important for POLICE readers to know what an outstanding young officer he is. Kevin truly appreciates the outporing of support from the Law Enforcement Community and the citizens he serves. He is recoving from his injuries and is displaying the great class and professionalism he has already demonstrated as a new officer. The response from local, state and federal agencies to this incident was nothing short of amazing. and we are working dilligently to locate the suspect. Thanks to all of our partners in Law Enforcement and the local communities for their support. Words are not enough for us to express our gratitude.

Elizabeth @ 4/30/2013 10:00 PM

God was watching over one of his Peacemakers today. Prayers for a speedy recovery and a fast arrest.
Thank you for your service.

Sister in Law of Fallen Officer

Mark Hawkins @ 4/30/2013 10:28 PM

Whew! God Bless, Kevin. Retired a couple years back from Chicago PD. Couldn't be happier that you are ok. Hope the punk drives off a cliff trying to escape.

Bev Ganzhorn @ 4/30/2013 10:44 PM

My brother is a deputy, one nephew is a small town police officer & another is a K9 officer in NE. One of my fears is that something like this can happen to any one of them. I don't know if the general public really understands the unknown dangers officers face everyday. They really don't know what awaits them at each call they take or stop they make. My heartfelt best to this officer, those who serve with him & his family. Each of them are affected by this shooting. My deepest gratitude to all those who protect & serve!

Bob@Az. @ 5/1/2013 12:32 AM

Officer McCormick, Get healed and come back to the Job, we need more defenders like yourself. As for jamal deans, I hope his last vision is an incoming round. Blues, Stay Safe.

Renee @ 5/1/2013 3:10 AM

God Bless Officer McCormick and his family. I hope they find this scumbag idiot real soon!

Jeannie @ 5/1/2013 3:58 AM

I'm praying for officer McCormicks speedy recovery, and for his family to ease their worries. God Bless all of you heroes out there keeping us safe. <3

scpdblue @ 5/1/2013 4:45 AM

THANK GOD he is OK. Now having been in law enforcement for over 10 years and I lost my LE partner on 14 May 2007 during a traffic stop shooting.. I have seen a dramatic increase in head shots on L.E.O.'s in those years. With that said,these animals are specifically aiming for the head,knowing L.E.O.'s wear vests. I want to let my brothers and sisters out there to be extra careful.Remember this was just a seat belt violation. Stay safe,stay alert and stay alive.

Bob @ VA @ 5/1/2013 5:28 AM

Praying here for a rapid recovery for Officer McCormick and for the perp to be brought to justice. Many thanks to Lt Mueller for coming here to provide an update.

vincenzino @ 5/1/2013 5:28 AM

Meet the real Iron Man!!! Officer McCormick, you are One Tough Cop, and I'm proud to be your (retired) Brother-in-Blue!!!

TERRY F. ZECH @ 5/1/2013 5:29 AM

God made your head extra hard there I guess. Glad you are making it. I hope your suspects head isn't as hard. For a seat belt no less. Get well and stay safe.

Scott Newell @ 5/1/2013 5:37 AM

Hang in there Officer McCormick. Our prayers are with you. I am a Patrol Captain in Concord North Carolina and have seen crooks starting to shoot at us over the past 28 years of my career. However, we still have a brotherhood that is Nation Strong. The crook might want to remember Boston. Dont think we want shut the town down to find him. It is up to him how he comes in. Our best to you and your family.

Chad Said @ 5/1/2013 7:47 AM

God Bless brother, so glad you made it! We in L.E. will find this knucklehead for ya, no worries..

Capt. Paul Sikorski @ 5/1/2013 11:59 AM

Get well soon my LE brother! Your brothers and sisters in LE from Davenport are thinking about you and wising fast recovery. Thank you for your service and sacrifice. We will find him and bring him to justice........

Ron @ 5/1/2013 1:57 PM

God is watching over one of His Chosen, we are praying for a speedy recovery and comfort for your family. Hope the bad guy finds his due justice.

Don @ 5/2/2013 3:58 PM

This is why we never take any stop for granted. Most people outside LE don't understand why a cop goes to the vehicle with a hand on the weapon. During a stop, the person in the stopped vehicle knows everything he needs to, a cop stopped them. The cop knows only that there is a person in the vehicle, be it grandma or a pos that is going to shoot. God speed on your recovery! And hells gates to the pos.

Mike in CR @ 5/6/2013 6:44 AM

I hope they caught that sorry, cowardly, sad excuse for a human-being! God bless you and your family and thank you for your service.

Fellow brother in blue,
Mike

Ima Leprechaun @ 5/7/2013 12:36 AM

Good Job Officer McCormick. Retreating in that situation was your only hope to survive and I applaud your intellect for knowing that. I wish you a speedy recovery.