Va. Trooper Fatally Shot, Suspect In Custody

March 07, 2013  |

Photo courtesy of Virginia State Police.
Photo courtesy of Virginia State Police.

A veteran Virginia trooper was shot and killed Thursday by a suspect who was arrested after a short manhunt in Dinwiddie.

Master Trooper J. A. Walker, a 60-year-old with 40 years of service with the Virginia State Police, was found in a cruiser off Interstate 85. Trooper Walker was killed at 1:20 p.m. Another trooper responded and saw a man firing into the state police car.

The man ran into the woods and was arrested about 30 minutes later by deputies with the Dinwiddie County Sheriff's Office, reports WWBT.

Tags: Duty Deaths, Virginia State Police, Dinwiddie County (Va.) Sheriff

larry d @ 3/7/2013 3:57 PM

RIP my brother. Great job. God bless all who are affected by this tragedy.

Brittney P @ 3/7/2013 4:26 PM

Rest In Peace Brother

brad @ 3/7/2013 4:32 PM

Why was the man arrested? He should be dead!

Dwayne Moyers @ 3/7/2013 4:33 PM

Killed after 40 years of service. Unbelievable he was still out there working the highways. A well deserved admission in heaven. Rest in Peace Trooper Walker. Thanks for 40 years of protecting us.

Mike Uriah @ 3/7/2013 4:45 PM

Rest in peace my brother!!!!! You had a long and great career!!!! Rest peacefully we will keep pressing on like as if you are still with us!!!! May god watch over your family and those affected by this tragedy!!!!!

John W @ 3/7/2013 5:15 PM

Rest In Peace Brother. Now hopefully the courts will finish the job of put this piece of trash in he ground. My heart and prayers go out to your family and friends.

Tony B @ 3/7/2013 5:16 PM

Rest in peace. A life of dedicated service and no retirement. Sad very sad.

Charlie Blalock @ 3/7/2013 5:22 PM

Rest in Peace my Brother...see you at roll call.

Stan H @ 3/7/2013 5:23 PM

You entered service the same year I did. May the good Lord bless you and your family. RIP brother.

Big Mike McWhorter @ 3/7/2013 5:30 PM

RIP MY BROTHER.MAY THE LORD KEEP YOUR FAMILY IN PEACE!

M.Conner @ 3/7/2013 5:32 PM

Rest in peace my friend. I only wish the courts did not have to decide ypur fate on the POS who murdered you. An eye for an eye and brotherly justice.

JJ Meeks @ 3/7/2013 5:34 PM

Rest in peace Brother. Thank you for your service. Rest for we will join you soon in the ranks

Jerry Smith @ 3/7/2013 5:34 PM

May god bless you for your dedicated service and may your family be blessed with memories of your tribute and dedication to serving the residents of the state of Virginia. Rest in peace brother Walker!

B. Lyons @ 3/7/2013 5:35 PM

May God receive you with open arms & Bless and keep your family.

Denise @ 3/7/2013 5:37 PM

May God be with your families and friends. Rest in peace.

T. Sites @ 3/7/2013 5:48 PM

Another brother taken prematurely, hopefully justice is fierce and fast, although I wouldn't mind seeing him suffer as now a family, community and friends will have to do. Thank u for your service and we will all most certainly rejoin you soon enough in duty, rest in peace bro!!

RICHARD ISAACS @ 3/7/2013 5:53 PM

NO WORDS CAN APPROPRIATELY DESCRIBE MY FEELINGS. WALKER PLEASE BE THERE TO SHAKE MY HAND IF I AM LUCKY ENOUGH TO JOIN YOU IN HEAVEN.

John Bernard @ 3/7/2013 6:02 PM

May The Lord welcome you home Brother.

T Hairston @ 3/7/2013 6:10 PM

RIP .. Praying for the family. Thank you for 40 years of service . May God welcome you with open arms and say well done thy good and faithful servant

E.C.Smith JR @ 3/7/2013 6:12 PM

Rest in peace Brother Walker! I started a year after you! You're now on God"s Highway Patrol to Heaven!!

Brian @ 3/7/2013 6:15 PM

God Bless. may you rest in peace brother, as that coward wilts in hell .....

A.A. Boone @ 3/7/2013 6:30 PM

Rest in peace. May GOD continue to Bless your family.

Jim @ 3/7/2013 6:31 PM

Hard to take this loss...

Anne @ 3/7/2013 6:46 PM

God be with the family. Thank you Officer Walker.

John T Giordano @ 3/7/2013 6:48 PM

Rest in Peace Brother, I don't understand why the suspect was taken alive! The courts will be too lenient with him.

ked @ 3/7/2013 7:01 PM

Thank you,....godspead my brother

Sheriff Jon E. Lopey @ 3/7/2013 7:12 PM

Rest in peace, Trooper! I have 35 plus years on the job and I thought I was senior. You are a true hero and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and co-workers. Men like you are a dying breed and the world has lost a true Amercan hero. Heaven will obviously be a better place with you patrolling the streets of gold...!Semper Fidelis, Sheriff Jon E. Lopey, Siskiyou County, CA

TERRY F. ZECH @ 3/7/2013 8:12 PM

Rest in peace brother. My sincere condolences to your family and to your department.

Dustin @ 3/7/2013 9:06 PM

Thank you Trooper for your service. Rest in Peace brother.

Steven @ 3/7/2013 9:26 PM

It's stories like this that make me want to get into law enforcement..RIP.

Double AA/ ATF @ 3/7/2013 9:46 PM

Like the retired ATF retired agent in Virginia killed while walking his dog a few weeks ago this too is an unimaginable tragedy bringing insurmountable amount of pain and grief to many both in and out of Law Enforcement. I will pray for his family and will pray more so for swift,deliberate and merciless justice to the trash that was collared for this murder.

LT Kbeck @ 3/7/2013 10:29 PM

RIP my brother. Charley Mike - See you at Roll Call...

Ofc L. Mangrobang @ 3/7/2013 11:42 PM

Rest in peace trooper our prayers to you and your family and your agency. Thank you for your great and unselfish service to us all. Your next roll call is with the almighty. Thank you.

stephen wynn @ 3/8/2013 1:02 AM

god bless prey for the family

Renee Comage @ 3/8/2013 2:50 AM

RIP Trooper Walker. Prayers to your family. 40 years of service well done.

Anthony boyd @ 3/8/2013 3:30 AM

To the family of Trooper Walker my heart is heavy, and sadden along with you. I prey GODS piece and his wonderful mercies hold you now and forever.

Karl @ 3/8/2013 4:00 AM

RIP Trooper Walker. I hope and pray the POS gets what he deserves.

Sheriff Bill Watson @ 3/8/2013 4:11 AM

Rest in Peace Trooper Walker, My heart goes out to your family, I used to work with your sister Elsie at Isle of Wight Co. Sheriff's Office. She was so very proud of you ! I started 4 years before you, It gets in your blood and you never want to leave, but you are in God's hands now ! Thank You for your Service my Brother ! R.I.P.
Sheriff Bill Watson

Carla Bullard @ 3/8/2013 4:37 AM

It's sad when you can't even go to work and make it home safely. Some people are so evil just going around taking people's life like God left them in charge or something. I want to send my love and condolences to his family. R.I.P Master Trooper J. A. Walker.

m.davis @ 3/8/2013 4:51 AM

Thank you for your service Trooper Walker, My heart goes out to your family. Why is that guy still alive?

Captain Eddie Cassady @ 3/8/2013 4:51 AM

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Family of Trooper Walker. Thank-you for your service Trooper Walker.

Trigger @ 3/8/2013 5:06 AM

Rest in peace brother, may the Good Lord hold you and your family close.

Matt @ 3/8/2013 5:34 AM

I will pray for our fallen Brother and all Virginia State Troopers . God Bless. (M.C.R.) Retired Inspector Dept. of Treasury U.S. Customs

A. A. Boone @ 3/8/2013 5:39 AM

Rest in peace. Will keep your family in our prayers and pray that GOD continue to keep his arms around your family and all the brother in law enforcement / miliitary. GODS SPEED.

BillyS @ 3/8/2013 5:40 AM

RIP, my God be with your family and friends in this time of grief. This is a great loss to the state of Virginia and the Nation. Know that you are missed by all your fellow Law Enforcement Officers.

Lt. Sal @ 3/8/2013 5:40 AM

40 years of service is supposed to get you retirement. Time to be with family and relax. I have been doing this 23 years and am planning my future out of police work. I know being an officer is what we are and not what we do, but we should take this time to reflect and realize there is more for us out there. Mentor the young self motivated officers under you and prepare them to take our places so we can enjoy the retirement we work so hard for. RIP my brother.

Sgt.D @ 3/8/2013 5:55 AM

R.I.P., Trooper Walker. Your example as a veteran trooper serving for so long on the mean streets will inspire as the torch of justice is passed to the next generation.

Jenann @ 3/8/2013 6:11 AM

to: lol 3/7/12 7:19 pm This WAS NOT THE PLACE for your additional comment. Not everyone would appreciate your "sentiments or your language!"

Officer Trooper sounds like a very dedicated public servant, and I'm sure all those he protected appreciated his dedication. I'm not opposed to the death penalty, and the criminal that robbed Officer Trooper of his life certainly deserves it! My heart goes out to the Officer's family and friends.

S.S. @ 3/8/2013 6:40 AM

R.I.P. My Prayers go out to his family and friends.

S.S. @ 3/8/2013 6:42 AM

lol get off the sight!!! I can only imagine what kind of family you come from. P.O.S.

Major Pickett @ 3/8/2013 6:43 AM

It is a sad time for his family, but he is our Law Enforcement guys hero. I hope the justice system in that state served the justice they the citizens and his family desires.

Commander John Anderson @ 3/8/2013 6:51 AM

From Colorado -
While many of us did not know you directly, we all knew you as a family member of our fraternal brotherliness. One day I will be honored to shake your hand and thank you for who you are and what you believed in. God Bless You and your family

Sheriff Edwards @ 3/8/2013 6:57 AM

There is a comment on March 7th which denigrates police in general. Remove it. This man's memorial, and we in the LE community deserve better than this.

Lord please accept this man into your loving arms, and be with his family and friends.

Capt. Gardner @ 3/8/2013 7:16 AM

My brother being on the side of the Lord you have prepared yourself for what the next day may bring, with that said, may God Bless you and your family through these difficult times.

Juan 10-13 @ 3/8/2013 7:39 AM

My heartfelt condolences to your family. Peace be with you my brother for you are now with your BLUE family in Heaven. A thank you does not express my true appreciation to your service and devotion. Rest my brother for we will continue to to carry your torch of protection for all our families.

Retcop @ 3/8/2013 8:34 AM

May God keep and comfort your family. You did well.

Chief D.L.Conley @ 3/8/2013 8:44 AM

Trooper Walker rest easy in the arms of God your work here is done. Thank you my brother for your many years of service. May God continue to watch over your family. And may JUSTICE BE SERVED.

eddie @ 3/8/2013 9:12 AM

Thank you for your service to the citizens of Virginia.. God be with you and your family. RIP

R. Bird @ 3/8/2013 9:52 AM

Thank you brother for the many years of service, the years that you stood shoulder to shoulder with all Peace Officers on the thin blue line. Our prayers go out to your family and friends, may God keep them in his loving grace and support them during this time of sorrow. I know we will be here to ensure that your 40 years of vigilance is maintained, and that we honor you and all the officers that have given the ultimate sacrifice.

Lt. D Hanlon @ 3/8/2013 12:58 PM

THANK YOU for serving our Commonwealth,Trooper Walker. Your 40 year's of sacrifice bolsters us, makes us proud, causes us to focus more intently as to why we are here. To the Walker family, friends, and fellow Troopers, I pray peace is found. Regardless of what the courts eventually do, I've found solace in the ultimate Judge's words. Jeremiah 20:11-13

11 But the LORD is with me as a dread warrior; therefore my persecutors will stumble, they will not overcome me. They will be greatly shamed, for they will not succeed. Their eternal dishonor will never be forgotten.

tracey @ 3/8/2013 1:19 PM

god bless you

tracey @ 3/8/2013 1:19 PM

god bless you

Bonita Cannon @ 3/8/2013 1:22 PM

Rest in peace Brother. Job well done.

Sgt. RBissett @ 3/8/2013 2:19 PM

Rest In Peace Trooper. Thank you for so many years of selfless service. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

ben @ 3/8/2013 3:50 PM

R.I.P. Brother- God called you home to soon- may he watch over your friends and family at this most difficult time .

gary rowell @ 3/9/2013 10:27 AM

The road has an end. The heavens do not. You will enjoy your new job and wonder why it took so long to there. God is waiting. Bless your family for they are the ones who are hurting.

sandstorm @ 3/9/2013 11:24 AM

R.I.P good soldier take your rest now . From the family of Cops in Trinidad and Tobago

Lt. Levi Baker @ 3/9/2013 3:24 PM

Rest in Peace Brother! Now you are on patrol in Heaven, protecting the souls on the streets of "God's Country." The prayers and condolences of the Marine Corps Police Department in Barstow, CA go out to your friends, family and colleagues. You served your community with dignity and pride. I hope I, and the Police Officers I serve with, are able to serve our community for as long and with the same distinction and pride you demonstrated. Thank YOU for setting the example that EVERY Law Enforcement Officer should follow. Your absence will be felt for years to come.

Nichole @ 3/11/2013 3:50 AM

Judging by those smile lines around that hard frown, I'd say this guy was a big teddy bear. Very sad. Godspeed.

B. Crump @ 3/11/2013 8:23 AM

Thank You Trooper for 40 years of Dedicated service! GOD BLESS and keep your family!! Say hello to JESUS for me! I'll be along later.