Attorney: LAPD Cops Who Shot Newspaper Truck Wanted 'Street Justice'

February 08, 2013  |

Seven LAPD officers who opened fire on a newspaper delivery truck that resembled a fugitive ex-cop's vehicle were administering "street justice," an attorney told the Daily Breeze.

Glen T. Jonas now represents Emma Hernandez, 71, and her daughter, Margie Carranza, 47. The two women were delivering copies of the Los Angeles Times early Thursday, when the officers opened fire on their truck shortly after 5 a.m.

Jonas said the officers made no effort to identify who they were shooting while searching for Chris Dorner.

"I don't want to beat the war drum here, but it's clear that they didn't make any attempt to match the description and they used deadly force without giving anyone in that car an opportunity to surrender," Jonas told the Breeze. "You have two basic violations of protocol and the result is that because of that, they are endangering citizens."

Both women were wounded in the shooting. Hernandez was shot twice in the back.

Tags: LAPD, Chris Dorner, Officer Involved Shootings

will @ 2/9/2013 7:34 AM

A citizen, 71 year old woman shot in the back while out trying to earn penny's to make a living. This is outrageous what these two detectives have done. I saw a pic of the truck they were in, the amount of bullets fired into the truck. How can you possibly compare what they have done with the reason Christopher Dorner was fired. I hope they were immediately removed from the job...fired. Higher LAPD officials should be held responsible. Did someone order them to go out and start firing into vehicles or will they say "oops" those dirtbag women shouldn't have been out on the street trying to earn a living throwing papers.
What irresponsible detectives. They should not be allowed to carry a gun or wear a badge. That could have been my mother or grandmother.

Gump2013 @ 2/9/2013 7:41 AM

I don't agree with you at all. Dorner has vowed to kill law enforcement officers and they are on edge (rightfully so). That said this attorney will eat half of any monies these ladies are awarded.

Ed Rigby @ 2/9/2013 1:38 PM

Why did the officers shoot in the first place? Did the driver of the vehicle NOT obey the officer? Maybe we should wait for the investigation to be completed before we make any judgements...regardless of what their lawyer says happened because he wasn't there either, was he?

Brian @ 2/10/2013 4:07 AM

Not obeying an officer isn't justification for being shot at. Take their badges and settle with the victims. There are laws, and cops need to start following them too. Blindly firing dozens of rounds into a car that doesn't even match the BOLO is terrible judgment.

tom @ 2/11/2013 7:21 AM

I'm sorry Brian but not obeying a direct order from and officer is good enough reason to be shot at. There is a thing called collateral damage during a manhunt to try to save officers. The bottom line is that Police officers are at risk and we must do everything we can to protect them. Everyday in the middle east innocent people are killed in order to hunt for the terrorists and this is no different.

Brian @ 2/11/2013 7:37 AM

So these two innocent citizens committed no crime driving a vehicle which didn't match the description deserve to be shot because they didn't get out of the vehicle fast enough? What if it had been a deaf person? Or someone who speaks little english? Are you justifying the shooting of citizens because they can't hear? That's BS. Shooting someone isn't justified by non-compliance to verbal command by an officer. What kind of country do you want to live in that disobeying an officer means they can justifiable kill you? They showed terrible judgement, and should be fired and charged.

bang @ 2/11/2013 9:57 AM

tom your an a#**$ , and brian is right they cant just shoot anybody .

Joe @ 2/11/2013 3:35 PM

Tom: I am sorry, I have been an LEO for 25 years and this is completely unjustified. Yes, Dorner needs to go down and a bullet is much cheaper than a trial, but you don't blindly shoot into a vehicle and you don't put innocents in danger because you are scared. You still have to do the job with the proper tactics and smarts and follow the law and Departmental procedures. 7 officers shooting into a vehicle with two women, one elderly out of fear it might contain a fugitive (male) is not within the law or any Department's procedures, and no failure to act quickly to an officer's commands does not justify shooting unarmed individuals, force may be used, but it must be reasonable force. Deadly force is only for defense of your life or the life of another! This may well be what Dorner wants, to scare cops into being bad people making bad decisions. Stay the course, follow your training and get this guy, but don't shoot innocents and then say, "I was scared it was the bad guy we were looking for, who looks nothing like two women, and the vehicle he was last seen to have looks nothing like theirs!"

Marshal @ 2/11/2013 3:55 PM

First I have only heard about this and not seen any pictures or heard why they opened fire on the vehicle so take this for what little I do know about the situation. First, I have been a cop for 18 years so i am not here to bash the officers but one of the top rules in firearms is to know your target and what is beyond. I don't know why they started shooting at the vehicle but if it was only because it didn't stop for them that is a pretty poor excuse when they were not sure the suspect was in there. I would think that there is more then one truck in CA that matches the description of the suspect's truck. I don't agree with the attorney at all but that's his job to lie and blow things up. I don't agree with the rambling BS that the anti police on here are saying but no matter how you look at it and the reasons for it the officers were wrong and need to be punished for it. We don't know the entire story yet so hold the judgements and the lynch mobs until we do if we ever do. They acted recklessly and most likely against policy and could have killed a few inocent people. That type of action isnt' acceptable for any reason. Now the punishment should be determined by the facts of the incident not the idiots that think they know.

Mark @ 2/11/2013 4:12 PM

@Tom

You obviously are not in LE. Or if you are, you are seriously poorly educated and trained. I hope to God you are not a LEO.

I have talked to a few other fellow LEOs about this shooting. All have said these cops are morons who should be fired and possibly charged. These fellow LEOs have more training than most and decades of experience. They also stated that these two ladies will never have to deliver newspapers again.

Hiram Smith @ 2/11/2013 4:26 PM

I cannot conceive of a less justified shooting. They didn't even attempt to I.D. the driver/passenger; just opened fire in an attempt to administer their own ad hoc death penalty. Now I'm worried; I'm white, slender, and 100 lbs lighter than the fugitive who is large, muscular, and black. But what if my gray Camry turns out to be similar to something Dorner is reported driving? If I get pulled over for a rolling stop or the like, I might be shot to smithereens.

Capt David-Ret LA County @ 2/11/2013 4:29 PM

Poor judgment......unless it had been Dorner.

T-boy @ 2/11/2013 5:34 PM

I want to know how were there lives in danger other than vehicle scrip, did they attempt to run over the officers? What force did they use against the officers. I have been a police officer 25 years if the only reason they fired is because of a vehicle description they will lose their jobs and possibly their freedom. We as police cannot believe it is OK to shoot only on description of a vehicle or person. I am sure SOP does not allow this as would our reasoning as police officers. Would we tell a subject in a drive by shooting it's OK you shot innocent people instead of a rival gang member or rival dealer? The answer is no, we are held to a higher standard because of our training and we are expected to have character above that of the public.

Mike @ 2/12/2013 4:42 AM

this is not just stupidity, it is ATTEMPTED MURDER, no different than what gang-bangers do, and the shooters must be charged as such.
Would LAPD just white-wash-it if they had been murdered. And you wonder why the public has no respect...

Ian @ 2/12/2013 9:35 AM

Two things here, wrong make truck, wrong color, wrong race occupants, wrong sex occupants and they unload on the truck ? WTF? Second, all those rounds and they only injure (Thank God) wound one,? wow as second WTF is in order here.

Lawyers @ 2/12/2013 9:36 AM

One never knows when it will be necessary to protect rights. That is why I created a directory of good US lawyers who always can help. While reading your articles I came to conclusion that you are a legal professional and can recommend best attorneys to this directory. You can submit lawyers to the section of Florida civil attorneys http://attorney-online.info/dir/civil/florida/33 or other appropriate sections. There is also a possibility for lawyers to publish legal news and articles as well as posting to Attorney Blog. I think, it can be useful to many of your friends who provide legal services.

John @ 2/12/2013 4:35 PM

A new slogan: "guns don't kill people, cops kill people". This instead of "guns don't kill people, people kill people".

Marshal @ 2/12/2013 5:40 PM

So do any of you cop bashers go onto medical websites and bash doctors? They kill more people a year then anyone else and when they kill someone it is because of their major screw up and the majority of the time it isn't because they have a split second to react nor is their life in danger at any time but yet they screw up and kill more people then cops do. So John should we also have a slogan that says guns don't kill people doctors kill people? Again I don't think in this case the officers did this right but quit lumping all cops into the mistakes of a few. It would be like saying all people named John are idiots or all people that make stupid statements about all law enforcement officers are complete idiots.

Dan B @ 2/15/2013 7:00 AM

Tom, you are an assh---! The only way not obeying an officer is reason to get shot is if she turned that truck around and tried to rundown one of those "officers." If you are in LE, I hope to God I never drive thru the area you patrol. You're apt to kill me because I was talking and didn't see your flashing lights on your bicycle(?)Those officers all ought to lose their jobs AND be criminally prosecuted. That was criminally negligent. Whoever trained them ought to be fired and charged, as well.