Chicago Police No Longer Respond To Lesser Crimes

February 04, 2013  |

Photo: Paul Clinton
Photo: Paul Clinton

To free up additional patrol officers, Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy has instructed officers not to respond to lesser crimes such as vehicle theft, garage burglary, or crime where the offender is no longer at the scene.

The move will free up 44 officers per day to respond to more serious offenses. The 911 calls are being transferred to the Chicago PD's Alternate Response Section, staffed by officers on light duty. Police reports will be taken over the phone. If necessary, evidence technicians will be assigned later, reports the Chicago Sun-Times.

The Chicago Police Department is also in the midst of transferring 200 officers to patrol from administrative duties to stem the city's violence by the end of March. In January, the city recorded 43 murders, including 15-year-old band majorette Hadiya Pendleton.

The department will use the additional officers to saturate areas where trouble is brewing, reports the Chicago Tribune.

Tags: Chicago PD, Patrol Resources, 911 Calls, Dispatchers

Va Deputy @ 2/4/2013 6:47 PM

President Obama came from Illinois. They have the strictest gun control laws in the country. And 43 murders in January alone. I think it's safe to say that his policy did not work there, and I'm fairly confident that it won't work for the rest of the country either.

Bob@Az. @ 2/4/2013 7:33 PM

Va Deputy, I agree!! Wonder if the mayor and his fellow leeches have given up their armed protection? You know, to free up even more Officers for the street. Blues, stay safe.

Jim A @ 2/4/2013 10:09 PM

Obama would have us melt down our guns to manufacture metal fences. I say that a single "picket" might be enough, but a steady stream of bullets is a pretty efficient "fence".

I have said it once and I will say it again. Liberalism is killing this country.

Chicago Sam @ 2/4/2013 10:23 PM

The CPD is not responding to crimes because CPD has been decimated by Mayor Rahm and his Hatchetman McCarthy. Manpower is way down and morale is shot to hell. To not report crimes let's them toute that crime is down. It's just not reported except for these shot and killed that they just can't hide and the media is going along with the scam.

Anyone in the media or any citizen should ask Rahm or McCarthy a simple math question. (A - B = C)
A> How many sworn Chicago Police Officers were on the C.P.D when you started?
B> How many are there on the C.P.D. now?
C> Figure the difference, citizens are paying the price in blood, property loss and grief everyday.

Go ask them. They will give you all kinds of Smoke and Mirrors run around but they will not give you a straight truthful answer.

I will ask them if I ever see them. Check out: www.secondcitycop.blogspot.com

Frank @ 2/5/2013 5:05 AM

You can bet your last dollar that this article and our comments will never make it to National News. The Obama Administration along with assistance from the News Media has twisted and covered up so many issues that more and more people are wondering what this government is really doing to our country. I do not see our best interests Public Safety and prosperity on their agenda any longer.

mtpgman @ 2/5/2013 5:17 AM

Let me look into my crystal ball. Over the next six months, auto burglaries, shoplifting, petty theft, etc., will rise five- or ten-fold, because while most criminals are stupid, they can read newspapers, and they can add 1+1.

The public will be outraged, and eventually even the lefty press will have to start asking the questions they should be asking now. The mayor will launch a blue-ribbon fact-finding committee, staffed by his cronies (at taxpayer expense, of course). They will come up with several "progessive" ideas, none of which will work, and a year and a half to two years from now, they will arrive at the inevitable conclusion that they need more officers.

Mr. Mayor, skip to the end. Get CPD's staffing up to where it should be as soon as possible, then get out of the way and let them do their job.

Greg @ 2/5/2013 5:30 AM

Now c'mon...those minor thieves could be Obama's son...can't risk their lives to people over-attached to their property.

Pt @ 2/5/2013 6:32 AM

So much crazy going on here. I hope these comments don't reflect the views of most police officers. Sad.

John R Headrick @ 2/5/2013 9:34 AM

Obama's old lover boy, Emamual, the mayor, is being prodded by his old buddy Obama, to clean up Chicago because it proves that his gun laws are completely worthless.

John R Headrick @ 2/5/2013 9:45 AM

Chicago proves that Obama's gun laws are worthless. The 2 Amend was spicificly passed for the sole purpose of fifgting a tyranical govt. To compete, the citizen is allowed to graduate their arms fom powder horn & ball to assault wpns.

Tom @ 2/5/2013 9:45 AM

Pt:
Contrary to your stated wish, most police officers are very astute individuals and can see throught the bull$hit. These ARE our views.

John R Headrick @ 2/5/2013 9:48 AM

How do I refresh??

Chuck @ 2/5/2013 2:09 PM

WTF is wrong with all these liberal idiots? and I would like to know where everyone was during the election, did no one go out a vote. How the he!! do these fools keep getting elected / re-elected. These electeds and politicians are playing Russian Roulette with the citizenry and no one seems to be willing to put a stop to it. I want to see what happens next election cycle.

Frank @ 2/5/2013 4:31 PM

@Tom
I applaud your comment at least some of us still have honor, integrity, but most of all common sense to see thru this 21st century BS.

tincanman @ 2/5/2013 6:53 PM

Yeah, the left will say that possession is the leading cause of theft and prohibit private property, houses cause burglary and homes will be outlawed.

Don Mckenna @ 2/5/2013 6:56 PM

Fitting of Chicago PD. "To Serve and Protect when we goddam feel like it!"...

James @ 2/5/2013 7:00 PM

@VA Deputy

Actually, California has the most strictest gun control laws in the nation. Get your facts straight. Either way, Gun Control is not the answer though.

Ed @ 2/5/2013 7:08 PM

@James

Can you buy a gun in California from a retail establishment? You can't in Chicago...

mw @ 2/5/2013 7:10 PM

OH Deputy Sheriff here. most civilians cannot wrap their heads around how much paperwork ive come across in the past few years on the amount of intrusions and B+Es that have been thwarted by the owner of the property presenting a firearm to defend what is theirs.. its ridiculous to fathom the idea of taking firearms of any sort away from these people..

taylor @ 2/5/2013 7:18 PM

this will prolly have more people buying guns since the people will have no one to turn to for those "lesser crimes." making people more willing to protect what they own by any means necessary. this statement to me means that criminals will probably be doing more of these "lesser crimes." which then in turn be a "greater crime since people with guns will probably shoot on sight. sit on this reflection a bit.

Citizen X @ 2/5/2013 7:19 PM

twinlightwave @ 2/5/2013 7:40 PM

I guess the CPD are going to be responding to perp down/perp dead by lethal injection of 2 oz of lead poisoning. If there was not a reason for citizens to arm themselves before there is now.

vmaxer @ 2/5/2013 7:56 PM

Twinlightwave, You are a SPECIAL kind of stupid aren't you? Don't worry, when they invade your home, I will respect your anti gun stance and not use my gun too protect you. God help you and all who belive as you do.

vmaxer @ 2/5/2013 7:58 PM

Sorry Twinlightwave wave, that was meant for Citizen x.

Bad_Advocate @ 2/5/2013 11:00 PM

I'm sure the CPD will come out to arrest you if you try to protect yourself using a firearm. Heck, you'll go to jail for shooting someone while trying to protect your property or life! Chicago needs a political cleansing - Obama, I hope you hear that!

T.A.D.-MA2 @ 2/5/2013 11:09 PM

NYC, New York; L.A., California both have nothing on Chi-town gun-control. Amazing.

zen @ 2/5/2013 11:41 PM

realistically, how is this anydifferent from an average random month of any given year in chicago in the last 10 years? In light of recent tragic events things of this nature are given attention only when people need someone else to blame. What are YOU doing to help solve the problem?

zen @ 2/5/2013 11:41 PM

zen @ 2/5/2013 11:41 PM

zen @ 2/5/2013 11:41 PM

zen @ 2/5/2013 11:41 PM

A. J. @ 2/6/2013 8:03 AM

I'm glad to be out of that hell hole. I was in Law Enforcement there when you could do the job. Now I would rather be an armed private citizen anywhere else.

And I am.

Darrin AKA Psycho @ 2/6/2013 9:51 AM

Citizen X @ 2/5/2013 7:19 PM

"Wow. Are you guys cops? I mean, like every single one of you are at a whole other level of crazy. You guys are proof that we need to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill." quoted from citizen X... obviously this person feel we defending whats outs is mental then i am at the top of the list.. but i will go one step further.. as a Marine i vowed to defend this country against both foriegn AND DOMESTIC.. taking my guns is a crime.. when im dead they can take me.. till then KMA

Ken @ 2/6/2013 9:57 AM

The crime rate on those "minor" crimes will go down because people will just stop reporting then, since the police won't do anything anyway. Anarchy on the rise.

Harken @ 2/6/2013 10:09 AM

I hate to explode everyone's bubble but this isn't a "Liberal" thing! Reducing certain crimes to "unimportant" is the result of bad management and police who don't give a damn. It's not a "Liberal" thing.

Mickey @ 2/6/2013 10:18 AM

Apparently only people that don't want gun restrictions are writing here. I don't hear any other answers. Maybe those people can't read or write but just vote, for money.

frank @ 2/6/2013 11:23 AM

Only person that you can depend on to protect yourself or your family is you. My safety is in my own hands. I do not have to resources to hire 24hr security and the police cannot protect me in my time of need. They show up after the fact dollar short and a day late. I believe in my $500 GLOCK and my proficency with a pistol for my protection. Until the goverment cab issue me 24 hr security I will always have my fiee arm.

NHPatriot @ 2/6/2013 12:14 PM

And the government wants to deny a culteral problem in this country and thinks we should open our arms to tolereance and diversity.Tolerance oflame behavior has become the problem and it is most clearly demonstrated in the liberal meccas (NY, LA Chicago,etc) in this country. Way to go Rahm-yu and Barry/Barrack are ruining this country

Saruh @ 2/6/2013 12:39 PM

Oh, sorry that your bike isn't more important than someone's life. This is good time management. It's not that certain crimes will be completely ignored, they just won't have immediate response. Why should an officer report to a scene where the criminal is no where to be found? It's not priority.

Stephen @ 2/6/2013 6:57 PM

All BS the reason is always the same when you ignore crime . They want there crime statistics to improve . No report made , it never happened. Crime rate is down , or so the lie says.

sicco @ 2/7/2013 11:01 AM

I had my car stolen, with priceless family photos and expensive collectibles inside. Believe me, car theft is no minor crime.

Abcd @ 2/9/2013 2:55 AM

What kind of retard keeps that shit in their car? Dumbass