Sheriff Joe's Armed 'Posse' to Patrol Schools

January 09, 2013  |

The Maricopa County (Ariz.) Sheriff's Office has launched an initiative where nearly 500 armed volunteers will patrol the areas around 59 schools in unincorporated areas and communities served by the department.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio said he wants to have as many as 400 posse volunteers and another 100 volunteer reserve deputies take part in the initiative, which was announced on Wednesday, reports the Associated Press. The move was prompted by last month's school massacre in Newtown, Conn., as well as a foiled plot by a local student.

The volunteers will only go onto school grounds if they determine there is a threat. Patrol members will have all the training and powers of traditional law enforcement but will not be paid.

Tags: Campus Safety, Maricopa County (Ariz.) Sheriff, Citizen Involvement

Freddy @ 1/10/2013 3:26 PM

Sheriff Arpaio - wow ! We need a clone for Germany!
God bless Sheriff Joe!
Kind Regards!

hank hill @ 1/10/2013 4:28 PM

let us only hope and pray that these so called volunteers will not shoot first! i still say that depending on the size of the school one or two "real" officers and a good cctv set up is all that is needed! overreaction can be a bad thing!

Tri @ 1/10/2013 5:11 PM

The Sheriff of Maricopa County has been fighting the good fight and not appoligizing for doing his job for a long time. The Holder Justice department has been trying to take him down for years, and even before Mr. Holder was AG, the left has been barking at the Sheriff for over 25 years.

Bob@Az. @ 1/10/2013 6:03 PM

hank hill: You might want to do a bit of checking as to the training and requirements of these "so called" volunteers before running your mouth. Most are retired LEOs and Military. And they receive approx. 100 hrs of training by "real" cops.

Carlo @ 1/10/2013 6:22 PM

Setting the record straight in regards to volunteer MCSO Posse Members. I have been an armed MCSO Posse Member for two years now. I patrol with the full-time deputies and assist them anyway I can. I have been in LE for the last 17 years and I am currently a full-time LEO. I joined the MCSO Posse to work with the toughest sheriff (Sheriff Joe). I have to qualify with my firearm and AR-15 with the full-time sheriff deputies. It is true that a lot of the MCSO Posse Members are retired LEO's. MCSO Posse Members are trained just like the full-time deputies and have MCSO online training (Policies/Procedures). I have prior SWAT experience, and I know MCSO will be training all School Posse Members in Active Shooter Training. For the most part, I would feel safe with my children going to school and having armed Posse Members patrolling the campuses. God Bless....

Dennis @ 1/10/2013 8:05 PM

Sheriff Joe...anything to get a headline, I'm not sure he truely cares other than to get his name in the news...

John @ 1/10/2013 11:04 PM

Hank Hill: you are a typical ignorant liberal democrat. They always seem to be the ones opposed to screened, trained, armed law enforcement volunteers or licensed security guards. They think only 6 month academy trained, union cops are capable of protecting anyone.

John @ 1/11/2013 1:27 AM

P.S. Volunteers are more accountable than paid officers. As at will "employees", there is no union, contract or civil service commission to protect them. Have you ever heard of a volunteer suing a department? How many sub par, full-time paid officers have sued to regain their jobs (usually with full back pay)? Often these returning officers do not "pull their weight" or are a potential liability due to disciplinary problems.

FireCop @ 1/11/2013 4:39 AM

At least he is doing something positive to protect the children in his jurisdiction. Let's hear what if anything other departments are doing. If I wanted to start shooting in a school I just struck off my list any school in Maricopa County because it sounds like they might shoot back. Sometimes just the message gets the job done.

Mike @ 1/11/2013 4:56 AM

The good Sheriff advocates what many of our communities should be doing to protect our kids. There are 1,000s of retired law enforcement officers, trained military and others who have the training, desire and commitment to watching over "their" children in their community. I think it bothers people when Sheriff Joe, takes an idea and turns it into a reality that will work. Taxpayers get the benefit of enhanced security in their schools without the additional cost to them and from people who have a commitment to those they are serving. Good job Sheriff Joe. I wish I could meet you in person and thank you for the great job you are doing.

Bob @ VA @ 1/11/2013 5:22 AM

+1 to Mike's comment. Retired LEOs and military are a precious, untapped resource for this country. As an added bonus, the Sheriff's approach doesn't violate the Constitution.

Juan 10-13 @ 1/11/2013 7:45 AM

Way to go....Sheriff Joe....."Cojones"......I love this guy!

lawman94 @ 1/11/2013 7:55 AM

At least this man is trying!! All we hear is get rid of the guns, get rid of the guns!! America has turned into a LIBERAL B$#@ S*&% NATION that is destined to fall upon its self. Here in Indiana the public is allowed to shoot at the POLICE!! When questioned about this Law our local courthouse advised me that "if someone kills an Officer they will be punished". Woo Hoo the shooter gets life in prison where he's fed, clothed, provided all the FREE schooling they want and their family can come see them. All the Officer gets is DEAD!! Let's hang one in the courthouse lawn and have a pick nick lunch like the old days. I'd say with the sound of the neck snapping crime will fall 80% over night. God bless America or whats left of it. Stay Safe

Ima Leprechaun @ 1/12/2013 9:30 AM

In the Carolina's, Tennessee, Kentucy, and other parts of the south we too have Sheriff's possees they are bettter known by their club name KKK. They do the same work as Sheriff Joe's possee they have more power than the actual Sheriff and they have their very own judicial system. The south has had these sheriff's possees for a little over 100 years now and so far they do a fantastic job. I would be willing to bet Sheriff Joe's possee has quite a few of the same club members in his possee. For better or worse this is what the people want in most states and for reasons I will never understand this kind of possee works. Sheriff Joe does have a hidden personal agenda and in time, this too will come to the surface. I am happy I am not dark skinned and I don't live in Arizona.

Rich K. @ 1/12/2013 12:07 PM

I too am glad to see someone else seeing the value in armed security. I am all for trained volunteers who are just out to keep their communities safe for everyone. Instead of criticizing we all need to step back and say to ourselves, ”Would I put my life on the line for another?” If your answer is no, shut up and be protected by someone who will. You or someone you know may have their life saved by this person. It would be a shame to refuse this protection for the sake of jumping on the easy band wagon. Gun control is a great idea done correctly. Just taking them away is not only stupid, but makes all law abiding citizens sitting ducks without the ability for self-protection.

Jean @ 1/12/2013 2:38 PM

I think this is a very dangerous thing. I myself have been a volunteer for 19yrs and I would in no way allow my fellow volunteers to do such a job to replace police officers in this type of capacity. This should be left to trained police officers. Putting any armed personnel in schools is just not the to go. They don't even have armed guards in banks anymore. Because it causes more harm than good.

charlie @ 1/14/2013 5:25 PM

I beleive we should place faculty members in various locations in our schools. These faculty members should be appointed by the school head, receive training, and document. The documentation should be provied to LE upon arrival of an active shooter response in order to prevent a good guy being mistaken.

Jackson @ 1/24/2013 2:32 PM

Way to go Joe. I wish we had a volunteer Posse here in Utah. When I lived in AZ I was a volunteer. It is hard training,So I would put my trust with the Volunteer Posse with my kids. Im a retired L.E. and there training is very good.