FREE e-Newsletter
Important News - Hot Topics
Get them Now!

Dynamic Plaques - FVT Plaques
FVT Plaques is introducing new dynamic plaques to recognize police and sheriff's...

Security Policy and the Cloud

Ask The Expert

Mark Rivera

FBI-CJIS Security Policy Compliance Officer

Mark Rivera, Customer Retention Manager and CJIS Security Compliance Officer with Vigilant Solutions, served for sixteen years with the Maryland State Police, retiring at the rank of First Sergeant with thirteen of those years at the supervisory and command level. He holds a Master of Science Degree in Management from The Johns Hopkins University and Secret clearance through the FBI, Baltimore.

Top News

FBI Releases Hate Crime Report

December 11, 2012  | 

The number of hate crimes reported in 2011 fell 6% from the prior year, but crimes against a victim's sexual orientation rose, the FBI announced Tuesday.

More than 6,222 criminal incidents involving 7,254 offenses were a result of a bias toward a particular race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity/national origin, or physical or mental disability.

The statistics were published in "Hate Crime Statistics, 2011" and provide data about the offenses, victims, offenders, and locations of the bias-motivated incidents reported by law enforcement agencies through the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) program.

According to the report, there were 6,216 single-bias incidents, of which 46.9% were motivated by a racial bias, 20.8% were motivated by a sexual orientation bias, 19.8% were motivated by a religious bias, and 11.6% were motivated by an ethnicity/national origin bias. Bias against a disability accounted for 0.9% of single-bias incidents.

Of the 4,623 hate crime offenses classified as crimes against persons in 2011, intimidation accounted for 45.6%, simple assaults for 34.5%, and aggravated assaults for 19.4%. Four murders and seven forcible rapes were reported as hate crimes.

There were 2,611 hate crime offenses classified as crimes against property. The majority of these (81.4%) were acts of destruction, damage, or vandalism. Robbery, burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, arson, and other offenses accounted for the remaining 18.6% of crimes against property.

Of the 5,731 known offenders, 59% were white and 20.9% were black. The race was unknown for 10.8%, and other races accounted for the remaining known offenders.

Related:

FBI: Hate Crimes Remained Steady In 2010


Be the first to comment on this story





POLICE Magazine does not tolerate comments that include profanity, personal attacks or antisocial behavior (such as "spamming" or "trolling"). This and other inappropriate content or material will be removed. We reserve the right to block any user who violates this, including removing all content posted by that user.

Other Recent News

2 Officers Cleared in Freddie Gray Case to Receive Back Pay
Sgt. Alicia White and Officer William Porter will receive $96,855 and $70,523...
Video: NJ Officer Catches Children Jumping from Window of Burning Home
With choking smoke and towering flames, Sayreville (NJ) Police Department Officer Brian...
Video: Injured NC Trooper Saves Suspect from Burning Car After High-Speed Chase Crash
An injured North Carolina State Highway Patrol trooper saved a high-speed chase suspect...
Confidence in American Officers on Rise, Gallup Poll Shows
Americans' confidence in the police has edged back up this year after dropping last year...
San Jose Facing Emergency Shortage of Police
Police Chief Eddie Garcia, POA leaders and city officials met for about an hour Monday to...

Get Your FREE Trial Issue and Win a Gift! Subscribe Today!
Yes! Please rush me my FREE TRIAL ISSUE of POLICE magazine and FREE Officer Survival Guide with tips and tactics to help me safely get out of 10 different situations.

Just fill in the form to the right and click the button to receive your FREE Trial Issue.

If POLICE does not satisfy you, just write "cancel" on the invoice and send it back. You'll pay nothing, and the FREE issue is yours to keep. If you enjoy POLICE, pay only $25 for a full one-year subscription (12 issues in all). Enjoy a savings of nearly 60% off the cover price!

Offer valid in US only. Outside U.S., click here.
It's easy! Just fill in the form below and click the red button to receive your FREE Trial Issue.
First Name:
Last Name:
Rank:
Agency:
Address:
City:
State:
  
Zip Code:
 
Country:
We respect your privacy. Please let us know if the address provided is your home, as your RANK / AGENCY will not be included on the mailing label.
E-mail Address:

Police Magazine