Video: R.I. Chief Investigates Push-Up Punishment

November 27, 2012  |

VIDEO: Push-Up Punishment In R.I.

The North Providence (R.I.) Police chief launched an internal investigation after officers allegedly forced several teenage vandalism suspects to do push-ups as punishment.

A resident videotaped the suspects doing push-ups surrounded by officers and three cruisers. Acting Chief Paul Martellini told NBC 10 he would reserve judgement until the investigation was complete.

"This is not a day and age where you can take the law into your own hands," Mayor Charles Lombardi said.

Tags: Officer Misconduct, North Providence (R.I.) PD

Jim porter @ 11/27/2012 2:56 PM

They had a choice I will do pushups not to go to jail or get a ticket. Why does everybody make such a big deal out of nothing. When I grew up my dad told the cops don't call me whip his butt then bring him home and I'll give him another

Jim A @ 11/27/2012 6:36 PM

Welll, at least he cops did something. Immediately. The kids will never forget it. The courts take forever and do nothing. The parents stand up for the kids. The kids learn nothing but acceptance and support of their ignorance.

Tom Ret @ 11/27/2012 6:48 PM

This is much to do about nothing in my view.

Bill @ 11/27/2012 6:57 PM

Ask the teenagers what they think? Pushups or arrests?
I bet they were glad to do '10 -12' pushups.

Morning Eagle @ 11/28/2012 12:10 AM

A ridiculous waste of man-hours and money to order an internal investigation on such a non-event. C'mon Mr. Mayor, the officers did not "take the law into their own hands" they were exercising the discretion most officers may use in the contacts they conduct every day. Well, at least the ones do that don't work for a chief that is apparently afraid to explain how the world works to his boss. Looks like this action saved the taxpayers dollars by not having to house and feed the miscreants. On-going investigation? Two legged sharks (aka lawyers) getting involved? Local prime time news making a big deal out if it? If there is anything cruel and unusual about pushups then every one who has ever been in the military or gone through a law enforcement academy has been subject to it. Maybe we should all get a bunch of attorneys and file a class action lawsuit for having been so mistreated. Good Lord! Political correctness and fear of whiners running amuck ,,,, again.

The Rock @ 11/28/2012 4:45 AM

This is why officers are worried about doing their jobs.. Sometimes better to do nothing.

Fed Cop @ 11/28/2012 6:16 AM

"...take the law into your own hands". Really Mr. Mayor??? For push ups? There was no harm down, the POS' are going to remember this day, and you launch an IAI??? So officer discretion is out in your town. If I were the officers, I would now write everyone that I stop tickets, full fines, no more NTA's, you either get a ticket or you take the ride to CJ1.

Fed Cop @ 11/28/2012 6:18 AM

I forgot to add, that I guess push-ups was the only alternative to water boarding the POS's

Bloomfield @ 11/28/2012 6:33 AM

Wow. IA review for cops making suspects do push ups. I could understand a verbal warning from the higher-ups; 'let the courts hand down the punishments' in this lawsuit day and age. Freekin IA investigation.?! I'll bet 9/10 people would enjoy seeing these punks do them.

Dave Holem @ 11/28/2012 6:41 AM

It's a little wonder why our society is like it is. The police attempt to make a difference and politicians get involved and screw things up for the work the police are trying to resolve. The general public then laughs at the police and the kids who committed the crime think they got away with it. Where is the justice in this. I know if I lived there that mayor would not get my vote. It is too bad that something like an internal investigation is conducted over something like this that destroys moral and the fine work that the police are doing.

Bill Evans @ 11/28/2012 8:14 AM

When I first got into police work in a small town, the Chief was not adverse to making a juvenile offender write an essay or the old "I will not be an idiot again" 500 times. It was very effective and it is unfortunate that the police are so limited in their response to minor violations. I agree with many of the respondents, ask the offenders what they learned after doing some push ups! Sore arms are a great reminder.

ChiefP @ 11/28/2012 9:39 AM

My brothers and sisters in blue let this be a lesson in how our world is changing. From now on don't give young people a second chance and try to keep them from going down the wrong path, put them directly into the system. When discretion is taken that far out of the hands of the officers that actually work the street by politicians then you need to follow your books closely and never do anything outside of them because you will be fired or brought up in civil court. It really gives me a heavy heart that we have gone this far down this road.

Dkissee @ 11/28/2012 10:03 AM

And since the parents don't parent and the courts don't do ANYTHING why would you waste the taxpayers money for something that should be common place. COPS using judgement and discretion to correct problem behavior. GOOD JOB OFFICERS and THANK YOU. Vote this mayor out

Bill @ 11/28/2012 10:28 AM

I like this story. I am happy the officers used excellent discretion in their treatment of the situation. The mayor on the other hand equates officer discretion with vigilantism. What a dork. He should go pound sand.

Capt. Crunch @ 11/28/2012 11:58 AM

If they were my kids and I knew what the police did about them attempting to vandalize, I would have the kids do more push-ups when they got home and also as a parent I would contact the neighbor who took the video and advise him/her to not interfer with the police trying to correct my children and stop trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

Sgt. D @ 11/30/2012 4:26 PM

I was the SRO in a high school for over 8 years. I had to get creative in the punishment I gave; since our juvenile courts were stressed. If I could handle a problem within the school I would; with the parents in agreement, they would clean the school, scrub toilets, clean the cafeteria; etc. Come on. What happened to officer discretion?