3 States Vote On Full Marijuana Legalization

October 15, 2012  |

CC_Flickr: prensa420
CC_Flickr: prensa420

Voters in Colorado, Oregon, and Washington will consider fully legalizing marijuana for recreational use when they go to the polls next month.

Passage of the measures would set up a potential showdown between the states and federal authorities who have stepped up their efforts to shut down medical marijuana dispensaries in several states including California.

If approved by voters, the full-legalization initiatives would allow adults over the age of 21 to legally purchase and consume small amounts of the controversial plant, reports the New American.

The initiatives are backed by Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP), a group of current and retired officers who support decriminalizing marijuana.

Michele Leonhart, the DEA administrator, told law enforcement leaders at the International Association of Chiefs of Police show that decriminalizing marijuana isn't an effective tool in the drug war. She told them LEAP doesn't reflect the view of most officers.

On Tuesday, a group of California medical marijuana activists will challenge the Justice Department's designation of marijuana as a Schedule I drug that's highly addictive with no accepted medical use.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit agreed to hear a half-hour argument by Americans for Safe Access. The Obama administration's Justice Department will argue there are no studies "demonstrating marijuana's safety and effectiveness as a medicine," reports the Mercury News.

Tags: Medical Marijuana, Elections, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP), Legalizing Drugs

Ernest @ 10/15/2012 5:52 PM

Laws against using a 'natural plant' are ridiculous.
I do not use any drugs, but having a law against the use of marijuana isn't necessary - drinking alcohol is far worse than smoking 'grass'. What happened there? The government thought they knew bset, they outlawed it's 'production' - and then it was repealed!
Drugs, alcohol, cigarettes are all worthless - but we cannot criminalize everything some do not like.
Too many people sitting in jail who had hurt no one - let them go.

Tom Ret @ 10/15/2012 6:20 PM

Saying it is no worse than alcohol or smoking is a lame argument. It does not have any redeeming value or contribute in any positive way to society.

Jay @ 10/15/2012 6:37 PM

Tom, using your logic, then we need to ban a host of things, like McDonalds, Junk food, sometimes you have to let the herd thin itself.

Lou @ 10/15/2012 6:44 PM

Jay is right, thin the herd.... stop welfare, SSI, free medical to indigents, free schooling to illegal immigrants and foreign nationals , No child left behind....and every other form of government subsidy and let the strong survive.

Jack Betz @ 10/15/2012 6:50 PM

Sounds like a good dea to me. We have been fighting drugs since I was riding a three wheeler. All we have sucessed in doing is making a pack of street corner punks rich. Enough is too much already.

Tom Ret @ 10/15/2012 6:56 PM

Jay-it is pretty hard to argue with someone who equates marijuana with junk food so I won't bother. You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

John Russell @ 10/15/2012 7:29 PM

I want LEgalization ON Cocaine too and thank that plant for when you got tooth pulled or drilled and your kids too remember NOVACAINE LIDACAINE made form that ..oh and if you drank COCA COLA it's in there in super tiny itty bitty amount..so tiny you do nto notice it SUPRISE..legalize it all.

Craig @ 10/15/2012 7:52 PM

The problem, Tom, is when your opinion leads to the oppression of people through fines or imprisonment. If you don't like it, don't use it, but don't punish others who believe differently when it has no effect on you what so ever.

JGar @ 10/15/2012 9:02 PM

I'm not sure about anyone else but I see a huge drop in productivity coming along if this passes. If it does just want to make sure I'm not driving a car or flying in a plane built by the stoners.

BlueCop @ 10/15/2012 10:06 PM

Cocaine had not been an ingredient in Coca-Cola since the mid to early 1900's... Check your facts Mr. Russell

JW @ 10/15/2012 10:15 PM

The article incorrectly identifies LEAP (Law Enforcement Against Prohibition) as "a group of retired officers" which is NOT accurate. LEAP consists of both retired and active LEO, as well individuals from other areas within the criminal justice community. Each of us belonging to LEAP believe that while drugs are bad, the drug war is worse and has been/is, at best, an ineffective and costly (in many areas) method of "fighting" drug use/abuse in America. And, while I believe that decriminalization is a positive move, I think there will be some kinks to work out in the beginning, and that we must take steps to finding a better solution (perhaps in the Public Health arena) to the drug problem, rather than just decriminalize/legalize marijuana use and then forget about it.

GAB @ 10/15/2012 10:55 PM

"The War on Drugs".

Wars eventually come to an end. This one will never end!!!

Richard @ 10/16/2012 1:52 AM

Nothing good will come from legalizing marijuana, and that will only be realized once it happens, and LEAP members look back and say "maybe we were mistaken." The only way to lose the war on drugs is to stop fighting. When I arrested a shoplifter there was sure to be more shoplifters, but I didn't say "we're losing the war on shoplifting, might as well give up." The same can be said for robbery, burglary, rape, and murder. No area of crime has ever just stopped because we passed a law that said it was wrong. Standing up for what is right is hard. Marijuana is a cancer on society and the plants have been manipulated in so many ways that nothing is natural about them.

My brother's addiction issue has always been marijuana. Estimates from NIDA research suggest that about 9 percent of users become addicted to marijuana; this number increases among those who start young (to about 17 percent) and among daily users.

The latest treatment data indicate that in 2008 marijuana accounted for 17 percent of admissions (322,000) to treatment facilities in the United States, second only to opiates among illicit substances. And marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogens than tobacco smoke.

But it's natural so how bad can it be for our society? Well, poison ivy and briar bushes are natural as well, maybe we should make them into pants and tell people they may itch a lot, but it's a good itch.

Scoul @ 10/16/2012 3:55 AM

Lets not forget weed was legal in the US, you only needed a federal tax stamp. The government stopped giving them out. Why? William R. Hurst. He not only owned or influenced the newspaper world, but also the paper mills etc... that went into the process. When he saw hemp was starting in on his profits. He ordered his news empire to only refer to weed by its Hispanic version, and related weed to violent crimes in the news. It's documented. This started a public distrust of users. This then sent us down the road to criminal possession without the federal tax stamp.

Lets not forget a room full of politicians vote on drug Schedule's based on recommendations from the DEA and the like. Shouldn't scientist and doctors make this decision?

Has everyone forgot that weed is scientifically proven less addictive than tobacco and coffee?

I proved in college (based on gov't data) that the money saved combatting weed alone could fund the entire rest of the war on drugs.

Did you know the VA has issued medical marijuana to treat PTSD and some associated symptoms? The nerve of these doctors sending my brave veteran brothers (and sisters) down a road of addiction, just so they may sleep at night or have a feeling of hunger. Jerks!

I fought in Iraq for 16 months. I went cause they sent me. I would go again if asked. If they told me we were never going to "win" and leave without any real benefit. At least I would have known then that I was wasting my time, sweat and blood.

Does anyone really think we're going to "win" the war on drugs?

Weedrockz @ 10/16/2012 4:07 AM

Drugz are awsum I be usin them al da time. haznt' had aney effact on me or me freindz. Way 2 go Colorrada, Orgon, Washenton. Man, I luv them southren states.

Obama @ 10/16/2012 4:16 AM

Oregon, Colorado and Washington rock! Best thing of all is I'm gonna pay for my weed with my Obamacare health card and call my dealer on my Obama Phone to gets my weed and there's nothing you can do about it. Thanks middle class citizens for me free, legal weed!

Move @ 10/16/2012 4:21 AM

I have an idea. How bout we give all the criminals and illegal aliens the entire West Coast. Have it, ruin it, do what you will with it. Vote in Obama as your high ruler and see how much free crap and programs you can enjoy when we aren't paying the bill. Just don't cross the border, the rest of America should belong to the people who work and contribute and don't rape and pillage each other. Enjoy the water bong d.b.'s!

XTrooper @ 10/16/2012 6:43 AM

The REAL problem and danger is that while we're wasting money and resources fighting this failed "war" on marijuana we are enabling and enriching the drug cartels. Legalize marijuana, regulate and tax it, and the major source of income for the cartels disappears overnight.
It took this country 13 years to figure out that the prohibition on alcohol was a total and complete failure and that all it did for certain was strengthen and enrich organized crime.
After 50 years of fighting our so-called "war on drugs," more people are smoking marijuana today than ever before, and our "prohibition" is a great a failure as the Volstead Act of 1919.
It's time for us to realize we're not helping anyone but the drug dealers. The mobsters of the 1930s hated to see alcohol legalized and who today absolutely does not want to see marijuana legalized? The drug cartels!
I think the time is long overdue that we all rationally accept the reality of the situation.

donut_plz @ 10/16/2012 7:17 AM

We cant just keep legalizing things just because some view it as a no win situation.
As already stated, if we legalize this then why arent we legalizing rape, robbery, theft, murder etc..... Those will never stop either.

Hell, just throw out the f****** penal code and lets party!

Any officer that supports this needs to turn in their badge.

Ima Leprechaun @ 10/16/2012 7:26 AM

IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Ima Leprechaun @ 10/16/2012 7:37 AM

How the heck do you even compare pot to rape? Geez a little extreme to the right dont ya think. Pot is less harmful than alcohol and has more beneficial medicinal factors than most narcotics. Personally I can't touch it I'm allergic to THC, but I have no problem with anyone wanting to use it. I see it as a great benefit to cancer patients, MS patients, Migraine patients. Pot is no more harmful than alcohol and its been proved over and over its much safer to use. Pot does make you fat though there is a strong desire to eat cookie dough. Where I live now they put people in prison for one joint and that is rediculous. It's a waste of time and money to put someone in prison for one joint. When I still worked my state had decriminalized pot thirty years ago and less than 100 grams was a citation with a $100 fine and confiscation of the pot. Its crazy to put people in jail for pot. Paint thinner sniffers are far more dangerous than pot smokers and nobody does anything to curb paint, gasoline and butane sniffers. Pot should never have been illegal to begin with. I applaud those forward looking states.

T.G. Vincent @ 10/16/2012 8:47 AM

I guess you in LEAP have forgotten that we as Law Enforcement have to protect the good in the communities in which we live. I too believe that we will never completely rid our world of illegal drugs, but I will continue the righteous fight that many of my brothers and sisters have lost thier lives for. I am and will always be a warrior and will also continue to fight whatever threatens to harm the people I am sworn to protect, reveiw your oaths my friends and shame on those retired warriors who side with this bullshit of legalizing drugs.

Randy @ 10/16/2012 8:55 AM

I worked Narcotics for 19 years before being reassigned in 07. I feel I have had enough experience to comment. I have no idea what prisons have marijuana dealers in them, let alone users. We have arrested and convicted people for dealing hundreds of pounds and they never served more than book in time. So that is a joke. Most Marijuana dealers were into many other types of illegal activity and that is where we put them in prison. If the people decide to change the law that is our system and the Police will abide by the law, but please don’t blame Law Enforcement for putting some poor guy in prison for a joint, didn’t happen. Soldier thank you for your service, for some of us who were in this undercover assignment I want to tell you that it wasn’t a waste of our time, blood, sweat and tears, we got into a lot of bad people via the marijuana laws and arrested a lot of bad neighbors and we were thanked by a lot of neighbors who could now let their kids sleep in their own bedrooms w/o fear of a stray bullet. So we don’t feel like we wasted our time, we did our duty.

oldcop @ 10/16/2012 11:37 AM

You go Randy. Having grown up in the 60s I have seen how Marijuana has changed. It is no longer a mild ditch weed that probably wasn't much worse than smoking. Now it has 7 to 17 times the THC that it had in the 60s. Having been in law enforcement for many years I have seen the change in how it effects people. There will always be battles and I don't think we are losing the war on drugs from the law enforcement side I think it is being lost from the education side. There will always be people who chose to follow a self destuctive path but if we educate people most will choose a better way. Society has lost the battle of promoting good morals as something that should be strived for, just look at the crap on TV now as apposed to what was on in the 60s. That is where the war is being lost.

VA Person @ 10/16/2012 12:06 PM

Scoul, you're WRONG. The VA DOES NOT provide medical marijuana for any medical condition. Marijuana is illegal on all federal property, and possession of ANY amount is a criminal offense. You show up on VA property with your bag-0-weed, and your medical marijuana card, you'll get a citation. Over an ounce, and you'll go to jail. So get your facts right.

John @ 10/16/2012 12:15 PM

If marijuana is legalized, then people should also be allowed to have an unregulated alcohol still at home.

Scoul @ 10/16/2012 1:26 PM

VA person. I wasn't clear enough. They don't provide the weed, just the script. Maybe not in your state, but at the VA in Palo Alto, Ca. they have. Funny how a federally paid doctor would risk his/her employment just for patient care. Jerks! I've served in both the navy and army. I average 4-6 hours a night sleep. The docs say I have PTSD, but I stopped going because I was starting to believe them. I can't smoke dope because its against the law and I'm a cop. However, if I could sleep through the night without taking "make you zombie" pills by smoking some weed it would be a welcome relief. I promise not to switch to crack or meth. I promise to work for my money to buy it. I'll never drive a car or go to work high. And maybe the weed will keep me from going crazy watching our country go to S&#t. The bottom line, if politicians could tell on the spot if you we're high or not, like a breath test. Then they would legalize it. The two biggest arguments against it are: it's a gateway drug. BS. The weak willed SOB would have tried harder drugs with or without weed. And second now one wants the school bus driver high at work. And there is no real way to prove beyond a reasonable doubt if someone is high like a BAC.

Ever been to Europe? In a country that tolerates heroine use? There junkies don't face the same stigmas we have. Most are working class people who pay for their own habit. No burgs, no armed robberies. Most people didn't even know the barista serving coffee had used this morning. Nor did they care.

Stop blindly following your beliefs. Do real research. The numbers can't lie. I bet a lot of crusaders were upset when they got denied entry at the pearly gates. They blindly believed the Pope when he said they'd go to heaven no matter what, if they killed, raped and pillaged in the name of god. Don't be that guy.

Tom Ret @ 10/16/2012 4:37 PM

Scoul-If you want marijuana legalized so you can use it as a sleep aid you must not know that after smoking pot and depending on how much smoked and your metabolism, it will stay in your system for a number of days. It will be virtually impossible for you to smoke marijuana and then go to work and not have it your system to some degree especially if you smoke it on a regular basis. If you are a cop as you state and want to remain one, I would suggest trying something else. A cop using pot, whether it is legal or not, is a recipe for failure.

James Gierach @ 10/17/2012 7:53 AM

Would it not be a tragedy if Obama lost a second term, because he allowed his own team to meddle with a person's inherent right to consume what Obama once consumed, whether for medical or relaxation purpose, and to be defeated by "I don't care if you are in pain or dying" no-pot Romney. Poor Gov. Gary Johnson, right on this important issue but junked by America's broken political and free press system.

Neill Franklin @ 10/17/2012 2:49 PM

The reason I do this work of ending the most disastrous public policy this nation has ever witnessed is because too many lives have already been lost, including that of my dearest friend and comrade, Trooper Edward Toatley, murdered by a drug dealer in Washington DC while working with the FBI. He was killed because of failed policy, not because people use drugs. We, crime fighters, fight for safer communities and neighborhoods. That’s why we go after rapist, murderers and those who prey upon our children. That’s where we should be focused, not on pot smokers and sellers.

If you are pro public safety, as I believe you truly are, how can you be pro prohibition? The two do not mix. The policy promotes dangerous turf battles between gangs, witness intimidation violence and stop snitching campaigns, which limits necessary information coming from citizens to police for solving crimes of violence. As for the shoplifters and robbers Richard, the vast majority of those folks are people with unmanaged addiction issues, resulting from an unfriendly environment for those addicted to drugs. Only if we could treat them similar to those addicted to alcohol? Do you know any alcoholics? Bet you do. You probably work with some. Use is a health concern, not one for policing unless you hurt others while under the influence.

Under our current prohibition policies, more drugs are available to kids than ever before. With illegal distribution points on every corner and they, the dealers, do not ask for ID for proof of age. They ask only for money and introduce kids and others to more drug types to use. They also are very skilled at recruiting kids to sell to other kids. Liquor distributors don’t sell to kids nor hire kids to push their poison.

I could go on and on with example after example punching holes in this so called never ending policy disaster, but if you don’t get after reading many of the wise comments on this page, then you may very well be addicted to the “drug war.”

The Truth @ 10/17/2012 10:39 PM

Well let's see the truth in the matter is pot has never taken a life and crime is less with pot head than any other type of drug! I am for the legalizing of Pot because you are more likely to stay at home and not do any crimes, less eating disorders, will def have less cancer in the states! I am not a smoker of Pot, but I do smoke cigarettes which are in face more addictive than Pot! The only reason it is no legal is the only true fact is it is a weed! Well lets see at one time Roses grew wild also and they found a way to tax them! Well the fact remains they can find a way to tax Pot they just do not want to because there will be less visits to the doctors! That is fact jacks and the ones who are opposing it get educated especially the ones who claim they are law enforcement!

Jelly @ 10/18/2012 4:54 AM

The question I have is, Why? Why do we need to legalize a substance that purpose is to alter one's mind? Like alcohol, it lowers one's inhibition. Have we as law enforcement not already seen the damaging effects that alcohol has had on our society? There is just no need to have another drug legalized. And don't feed me the crap about, "I need to smoke weed for medical purposes". I don't buy it! My wife has been suffering from cancer and the effects of treatment for over 5 years now. If she needed to, her doctor was willing to give her THC in a pill form. So there is no need for all you so called "sick people" to sit around all day and pull off your pipe. Really, hasn't our society suffered enough from liberals demanding their personal freedoms? WHY?

neill franklin @ 10/18/2012 7:40 AM

I'm a cop and a conservative. Safe streets and communities are most important to me. That's what we are here for. We are not surrogate parents telling someone what they can and cannot smoke, drink or eat. We enforce crimes against one another; rape, robbery, murder, domestic violence, assault, theft, child abuse, etc.

So Jelly, if you're so bent on prohibiting substances that lower one's inhibitions, why not go back to the prohibition of alcohol and let us not stop there. Let's go after coffee while you're at it. Caffeine drastically changes my disposition and that of many others. What about sugar? Let's prohibit any and everything that may affect one's mood or disposition.

So, what do you think...return to alcohol prohibition? It is the most problematic and deadly of them all for society. Your answer to this question will speak volumes, one way or the other.

Jelly @ 10/18/2012 11:06 AM

Neill you made my point exactly. Alcohol is a problem in this Country. In most of the crimes officers respond to, that you listed above, alcohol/drugs are usually directly or indirectly invovled. So why would you as a "conservative" want to legalize another drug that would contribute to the degradation of our country? Why would you want to send a message to your kids that "getting high" is ok? What good would come out of it? If you and I ever became partners on the street, and stop for a cup of coffee (with sugar), I would continue riding in the car with you during the remainder of our shift. But, if you want to pull over to fire up a joint, you're on your own. And you're right, I'm not a "surrogate parent" to the community I work for, but I am a parent. I care about the community I serve, but more importantly my own kids. Therefore, not you or anybody else will convince me that legalizing Marijuana is the right choice for this country.
Good luck to you and stay safe. Jelly

Tim @ 10/18/2012 11:58 PM

The people that want to legalize it must be on one heck of a trip. Smoking pot causes violence and in most families leads to divorce. It has been known to turn people on to satanism and other forms of cult religion. Charles Manson smoked pot, the Unabomber smoked pot, Joseph Stalin was known to smoke pot. It's quite obvious that smoking pot leads to mass crimes against humanity. The best thing to do would be to build more prisons for the potheads and lock them up so us law abiding citizens can enjoy life without the pot smoking criminal scum.

Neill Franklin @ 10/21/2012 3:44 PM

Obviously Jelly and Tim, there are a few folks who still need more exposure to all that is occurring in the world surrounding the drug war. Obviously, there are folks who value their "comfort" more than the lives of their neighbors, here in the US and across the border. I value life first and foremost and policies of prohibition, as demonstrated during the history this country, promote death, corruption and a bad place for children ...period!

As for the message sent to children, currently we are sending quite a few messages. Number one: We do not value your lives enough to end the drug wars in our cities, your neighborhoods and on the streets you walk to school everyday. Number two: We don't care enough about you to get dangerous and tainted drugs off of the streets (into stores and regulated), and out of the hands of criminals and gangs who influence you to buy, use and sell to your friends. We don't care enough about you to put those drug dealers out of business, stopping them from recruiting your friends into the deadly street game. And number three: By the way young person, if you happen to make a mistake, like trying marijuana, like so many Americans have (presidents, senators and others) and you get caught...we will hand you an arrest record that will be more problematic for you than can ever imagine. Kids are much smarter than what you give them credit for. Tell them the truth about something harmful and they will make good decisions. It works with alcohol and we have had great success with tobacco. Over the past few decades, through education and social pressure, we reduced tobacco consumption by 40%, all without sending anyone to prison and no tobacco wars in the streets of the US or Mexico.

BTW Jelly, you never answered the question. Should we go back to alcohol prohibition?

Mike Parent @ 10/23/2012 10:29 AM

“Here are some facts for all the Nay sayers;.

FACT 1. Marijuana is not a Gateway substance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~ugr/Hrych2.pdf Scientific Proof Marijuana is not a Gateway drug!

FACT 2. Marijuana in a Medical setting does not increase teen use.
wont-boost-teen-pot-use-study-finds/

FACT 3. Marijuana is MUCH SAFER than alcohol and is no more addicting than caffeine.
Addictiveness of Marijuana - ProCon.org.
www.procon.org/view.background-resource.php?resourceID=1492
Jack E. Henningfield Ph.D. (in Psychopharmacology) and formerly of the National Institute on Drug Abuse and Neal L. Benowitz M.D.

4. DEA Judge Young, in a report commissioned by the DEA said:
"16. Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within a supervised routine of medical care."”

“THE CHILDREN”
If they really cared for the children they’d legalize and regulate marijuana. If they really wanted to keep any substance out of the hands of “The Children” they first must take control of distribution away from black market dealers. They haven’t accomplished that in 40+ years at a taxpayers cost in the hundreds of billions. It’s time to treat marijuana as we do alcohol. My 27 year old daughter still gets carded when she buys alcohol, yet your 13 year old can buy anything the black market dealer has for a price whether it be money or “something else”.
FACT: Your kids have a better chance dying at the hands of someone enforcing marijuana laws than they do from ingesting it.(ZERO %).
LEAP member, NYPD, ret.”

Chris @ 10/23/2012 12:14 PM

If only everyone would open their eyes to the fact that this plant God put before us was meant to help not hurt. With over 1000 uses of industrial hemp and the fact that marijuana reverses cancer, you'd think by now the government would have found a way to make money off it so that they could dunt du dunt duh come to the rescue and legalize it; mybe when the def is at 20,000,000,000,000 the government might consider it.
every 37 sec a person is arrested of a marijuana only crime. There are some 169,000 inmates across the USA doing time for marijuana only convictions. to top it all off the marijuana category in the "war on drugs" has a 13,000,000,000 price tag to it.
Who's mind is effected now remember $17,000,000,000,000 is right around the corner.

Kevin Brown @ 10/23/2012 12:16 PM

Anything we do in life that does not sustain our health, is an addiction. Truth be told, our bodies actually have a cannabanoid receptor system that positively reacts when stimulated with all types of materials derived from the plant. Furthermore, the tobacco smoke/ marijuana smoke comment made earlier, is a myth. Why do these myths arise? Well, the Private prison system benefits greatly by housing these "offenders." It helps to insure thousands of law enforcement jobs (versus the potential 6 million jobs which would be created JUST by letting farmers grow industrial hemp). Cannabis, until the 20th century, has been a medicine as far back as the epic of Gilgamesh(circa 3401 BC). Equally, marijuana is spoken of in the Holy Bible in its Hebrew name kinebosin. Christ himself spoke of it as "the new wine" for the expansion of the mind. Actual wine was reserved in Christianity for the traveller with a thirsty mouth. In WHICH CASE, by telling me it I cannot take part in my religious sacrament, you ban me from practicing my freedom of religion. Equally upon founding this Nation one of our forefathers Thomas Jefferson declared that it is our responsibility to defy a law, if we feel that it is unjust. Barring us from practicing a freedom everyone else is free to practice, is unjust. I besmirch your law; and your selfish ideals will surely follow you into the misery you lead yourselves into so blindly through. I pity you.

Kevin Brown @ 10/23/2012 12:31 PM

Do research from both sides before you decide to begin such an unintellectual banter.

gail @ 10/23/2012 1:57 PM

If marijuana is legalized I see it as an aid to our deficit. Once legal the government can then tax the sales as they do with tobacco. If it should become legal I figure there will be marijuana farms (legal ones) which will produce more jobs, and the leaf will be sent to be processed and could be packaged as a cigarette (more jobs). Once packaged it could then be sold from gas stations, machines, you name it which in turn the sales would produce taxes for the state, city and/or village they are sold in. I truly believe legalizing marijuana would be a good thing for our country.

Don @ 10/23/2012 2:05 PM

Marijuana should be legal for so many different reasons; alcohol is legal & more dangerous to mankind. It should be my right as an adult to do, it has been used for over 5000yrs & until the early 1900's it was legal & according to the AMA should've never been outlawed then either.
So instead of wasting tax money fighting it, use tax from it to help education budgets, use tax savings to help reduce defect as well as money saved from prison system. Then the enforcement of laws & punishment actual violent criminal offenders would be better spent! So parents, we need to educate our children; as I have to adult sons who knew alcohol was for adults & that their bodies were still growing inside & out; that they should wait till they where 21 because of their long term health could be effected if not. Parents need to be parents & not their friends, the BS of I'd rather they drink in front of me instead of behind my back & in turn let their kids & their friends drink at their house. All they've done is turn kids into teenage alcoholic's so they wouldn't be the bad guy; sorry be the bad guy, be the "Parent"!!!!!!

rikkyrich @ 10/24/2012 1:01 PM

too much money spent on regulating what humans personally ingest seems to ring of a ridiculous quality given that its no ones business what humans personally ingest.
its time to focus these revenues spent on the drug war on more intelligent human advancements like banning all televisions, limiting authority, promoting compassion and understanding, promoting reason, limiting negative emotion, and teaching children to think for themselves and promote the value of play, and distribute resources evenly.

Brett @ 10/26/2012 11:57 AM

WOW. I'm not a Leo, I'm not a service member, I'm a Dad, and a business owner. I've been thru the 60's, (LSD), been thru the 70's (pot), Been thru the 80's( cocaine), been thru the 90's ( X ), been thru the 00's (meth). Never did any thing but a little smoke. YES we have a problem, but what do we do about it? We spend Billions on incarceration of those who get caught offending. Why? To profit the private enterprise of Jails and the court system. How do you justify years of probation or jail for simple possession? I my life I could ALWAYS tell who was good and who was not. Not based out what drug they were on. I don't have a good solution, but I know that Marijuana is no gateway or harmful drug. I have been self employed for over forty years, been married for 30+( no my wife does not, and has never done any type of drug), have two wonderful daughters that are both collage grads, in there youth both were in the gifted student program. Ya I'm lazy! Lol my occupation would crush most people, I drill wells, for 40+ years 12-16 hrs a day 6-7 days a week. Still at it! Now I know that most occupations are not as intense physically, but I have survived with the help of this natural pain killer. I have been on Morphine for pain, as prescribed by my doctor. WHAT A F&CKING NIGHTMARE! 3 months of that was all I could handle.
With 4 bad disks, and all of the aches and pains you get when you get older, it nice to have something to let me sleep, or relax without being in a Morphine haze. Been dealing with my back for pain for ten plus years.
Tens of scrips for whatever they thought would work. NONE DID! Yes I'm still in pain every single minute of every day but, I CAN control it for a few hours at a time. So why is this illegal? Every person is different, some will succeed, some not. It's not the substance, but the person that succeeds or fails.